Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Video games to up their prices, consumers rejoice

Black

Arcane
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3078404/n...e-games/t/top-video-games-may-soon-cost-more/
https://www.businessinsider.com/video-game-price-increase-60-70-nba-2k-xbox-ps5-2020-7?IR=T
"$69.99 may be the new standard pricing for next gen titles,"
https://archive.is/38bBB

I can't wait to pay more just to consume even more linear, cinematic story-driven drivel by people who cannot into writing and don't get nuance, to have braindead, handholdy gameplay with no complexity while still being nickel & dimed.

mk0

Learned
It's like the only trick these companies know how to do is to put all their eggs in one basket, peak investor mentality. :shittydog:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I would not mind paying 10€ extra for games I really like. But so far, the union of that and 'games with 50€+ costs' has been the empty set.

Codex Year of the Donut
I would not mind paying 10€ extra for games I really like. But so far, the union of that and 'games with 50€+ costs' has been the empty set.
People already pay that and more in the form of dlc.
The idea that games have a $60 pricetag to begin with is a lie. You get half the game for $60 and if it sells well enough you slowly get the rest in $15 chunks.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I dont even buy games for 60 euros let alone more. I always wait for steep discounts before getting something I like, I can wait since I have a huge backlog of games that I own and havent played and its not like there are many interesting AAA games out there.

RuySan

Augur
It's as if they are the ones deciding it and not the consumers. The arrogance of these companies is pathetic.

Reminds me when the Xbox one was supposed to have always online drm.

Wunderbar

Arcane
f3aaf0355f6170570d8182e926dedf5f.jpg

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
1) The "development costs have gone up" is a myth only an idiot would believe. In fact, dev costs have remained relatively stagnant, compared to the total income increase of game companies in recent years. Game companies, with the help of their favourite shills, ahem, excuse me, "game journalists", base this lie on the graphic quality increase, which really is not costing them more money if you actually understand how game development works. Yeah, perhaps a little more for a couple of more texture artists, but that's about it. It is a myth that just because a game has 2x-4x more pixels on the screen or an improved water shader, somehow it costs more to make. But gamers buy this myth, especially kids.

2) On the other hand, the marketing costs have gone up, and keep going up, because now there are more shills. It used to be that only game journos were bribed, but now we have streamers, youtubers, forum trolls and redditors who pretend to absolutely adore the latest game and tell you to buy it, viewbots in singapore to help our shill get more noticed, etc etc. Tons of money to spend, really, for "promotion". THOSE costs definitely have gone up.

3) The income of most game companies has gone way up. The size of the industry kept expanding tremendously in the last 3 decades. They sell at the same price, but they sell far more content to far more people.... Also, with microtransactions and DLCs, games don't really cost 60$ no more. 60$ is the initial cost, if you want the full game, you have to pay for far more than that, usually.

4) Game distribution and publish costs have gone down. Digital distribution and the eradication of manuals have lowered the costs considerably. Quality game manuals, maps, game cases, cartridges, used to make up for much of the 60$ price of a game. Now those things don't exist. Game "journalists" always forget to mention that for some strange reason....

5) Increasing the base price of video games won't eradicate DLCs and microtransactions. This is another huge lie. They tell you this, to make you initially swallow the price increase, but you will see that DLCs and microtransactions will become WORSE, on top of the increased base price, not better. These scum are lying to you.

All in all, i think this generation is doomed, at least for the first few years. It is a global depression, people have more important things to spend money on, they have no money for overpriced 600$ consoles or overpriced PC gpus in order to get pretty much the same games as now, with a few shader effects more and a higher resolution. And they want to increase the base price of games too? Fuck this shit. I could keep playing existing game for all eternity, you can shove the next gen up your ass. I am not even going to bother to pirate your shit, because pirating your shit means i need to buy a new overly-expensive gpu to run that pirated-shit on, and what for? They are the same games of current gen, with raytraced effects. Yawn.

We are fast entering a new game industry crash. Fasten your seatbelts.

abija

Prophet
In fact, dev costs have remained relatively stagnant, compared to the total income increase of game companies in recent years.
Yeah they sell a lot more so it's truly a bullshit reason. But...
Game companies, with the help of their favourite shills, ahem, excuse me, "game journalists", base this lie on the graphic quality increase, which really is not costing them more money if you actually understand how game development works. Yeah, perhaps a little more for a couple of more texture artists, but that's about it. It is a myth that just because a game has 2x-4x more pixels on the screen or an improved water shader, somehow it costs more to make. But gamers buy this myth, especially kids.
You have no fucking clue what you talk about. That graphic quality wasted in most AAA titles costs A LOT. It's not just a couple more texture artists and they even outsource a shitload of assets to where labor is cheaper.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
You have no fucking clue what you talk about. That graphic quality wasted in most AAA titles costs A LOT. It's not just a couple more texture artists and they even outsource a shitload of assets to where labor is cheaper.
Yes, games are more expensive to make now. But it doesn't mean that the funds are well spent - this money usually wasted on useless eye-candy for graphicsfags.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
My perception of how much videogames should cost is completely screwed because as a kid I got Age of Empires for free with a 1.000 ₤ (approximately 0.50 €) cereal box.

Now every time I buy a videogame I ask myself the question "will this game be 140 times better than Age of Empires?" and the answer, usually, is "no".

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Don't mind paying more for games I'm interested in -- if I have doubts about a particular game, I'll wait for a discount.

But I have little to no interest in most AAA titles out there. If anything, I hope this will allow smaller devs to set more reasonable prices for their games and get better chances of survival.

For example, I wouldn't mind if Underrail would cost $18 instead of $15, or Dungeon Rats would cost $12 instead of $9 if that means the developers will be able to afford a few more months of development on their next projects and deliver much better games.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
It's not like games don't have 100+ USD special editions on launch. If they can make some idiot pay 10000 USD for a video game, they should do it.

Gregz

Arcane
I don't think anyone on the Codex understands how these guys make money, I know I don't. Back in the day, you paid for a product at a store, and that was that.

Now there are DLCs, microtransactions, pay-2-win schemes, cosmetics, subscriptions, advertising...not to mention the entire crowdfunding phenomenon. Price points like $60 are nothing compared to the thousands of dollars some whales have dropped on games like Star Citizen, and they don't even have a game to show for it. I remember 6 years ago, my clan leader was drunk and told me he spent $12,000 on World of Tanks alone.

These days, you don't make money by appealing to poorfags and pirates (us). You make money by attracting whales and milking them. A $60 price point might be a good way of gatekeeping the riffraff.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't think anyone on the Codex has an understanding of how many dozens of ways these guys make money now. I know I don't. Back in the day, you paid for a product at a store, and that was that.

Now there are DLCs, microtransactions, pay-2-win schemes, cosmetics, subscriptions, advertising...not to mention the entire crowdfunding phenomenon. Price points like $60 are nothing compared to the thousands of dollars some whales have dropped on games like Star Citizen, and they don't even have a game to show for it. I remember 6 years ago, my World of Tanks clan leader was drunk and he told me he had spent $12,000 on World of Tanks alone.

These days, you don't make money by appealing to poorfags and pirates (us). You make money by attracting whales and milking them. A $60 price point might be a good way of gatekeeping the riffraff.
Thank God there are good games that cost less than 30€ and don't rely on vile and predatory strategies, like Owlcat's Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Who will win - Sony with a "70$ for a game" strategy, or Microsoft with their 1$ subscription?

Phil Spencer rubs his palms.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom