Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Lost sinner and scorpion lady down. finally some cool and moderately challenging bosses . it took me 5 tries for LS and 3 for scorpion lady.
very enjoyable bosses especially the sinner. she caught me by surprise few times with her long reach but at the end i spanked her back.
one thing that is bothering me is the constant use of petrified npc gimmick. idk what is supposed to be interesting in finding your way or npc blocked away before you find an item at the other side of game world. it worked the first fime, but when every important npc is petrified it itcomes frustrating. the frustration is even greater because i used the last of my branches on an enemy blocking a chest, thinking it would be an awesome item if it is blocked by usage of a very precious and scarce resource. i open the chest and find repair sorcery. like really? is is t a bad attempt at trolling me From?
now i can't access either of boss soul vendors until i find another branch , if i do :negative:.
btw still enjoying the game especially after those last 2 bosses

Curratum

Simple fact is I haven't seen a single sorcerer in PVP but I've lost to hexers with good timing and ideas.

The sorcerers on PvP that i saw generally use MLGS

So one is capable of slogging through PvE while the other has to resort to melee or soul arrows which are definitely worse than dark orb.

You are right.

I'm talking about staff sorcs. I did get very badly wrecked by a couple of full-on hexers who never used an actual weapon, just catalysts and hexes.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just wrapped up my NG++ vanilla run, now about to knock out the DLCs. Feeling like co-oping most of them tho. If anyone is interested, even for a partial playthrough, lemme know (SL 20 mil.). Just thought I'd ask fellow Dexers first before I start asking around on Discord and shit.

Curratum

Just wrapped up my NG++ vanilla run, now about to knock out the DLCs. Feeling like co-oping most of them tho. If anyone is interested, even for a partial playthrough, lemme know (SL 20 mil.). Just thought I'd ask fellow Dexers first before I start asking around on Discord and shit.

I'm on NG+ only but I've been grinding like a mindless pig for armor sets and items and levels and despawning paths to some bosses, so I might be within coopable SL range. Will check exact soul memory value later today.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I'm on NG+ only but I've been grinding like a mindless pig for armor sets and items and levels and despawning paths to some bosses, so I might be within coopable SL range. Will check exact soul memory value later today.
If you're at least SL 5 mil. we should be compatible. (3 million for the small soapstone but that's be annoying because it's timed).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

If you're at least SL 5 mil. we should be compatible. (3 million for the small soapstone but that's be annoying because it's timed).

Emergent Dark Souls dating mechanics :)

Curratum

The face when my 6-year-old son is doing invasions and summoning reds on the bridge, they're barely winning and then smugly doing "no way" emotes, not knowing they almost got offed by a kid who can't beat a single boss otherwise.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The face when my 6-year-old son is doing invasions and summoning reds on the bridge, they're barely winning and then smugly doing "no way" emotes, not knowing they almost got offed by a kid who can't beat a single boss otherwise.
Prestigious. Btw how does he play, with a controller? Can kids that small even hold it properly?

Curratum

Prestigious. Btw how does he play, with a controller? Can kids that small even hold it properly?

Yeah, controller, somehow the x360 works fine for his hands.

His dad played all 3 DS games (and still does) on kb+m though! :D

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My kid is 3.5 and her hands are _almost_ big enough for the xbox elite I have. She does lack coordination though. I imagine 6 yr old would have no problems.

Curratum

My kid is 3.5 and her hands are _almost_ big enough for the xbox elite I have. She does lack coordination though. I imagine 6 yr old would have no problems.

Mine's main problem is trying again. Little children don't do anger management very well. When he watched me play and i get offed in PVP by some lagger who hits me with a non-greatsword from like 3-4 meters after I've fully rolled away safely and stood up, he just gets so fucking angry! :D

"YOU CHEAT TOO! INSTALL SOME CHEAT AND BEAT THEM NEXT TIME!"

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Mine's main problem is trying again. Little children don't do anger management very well. When he watched me play and i get offed in PVP by some lagger who hits me with a non-greatsword from like 3-4 meters after I've fully rolled away safely and stood up, he just gets so fucking angry! :D

I know that feeling. Got killed by someone who just kept swinging at me from a distance and I kept getting hit so he probably even knew he was lagging.

Silverfish

Arbiter

If you're not cheating, you're not trying.

Generic-Giant-Spider

It was probably a katana user, the degenerate scum of DS2 PVP.

Be a gentleman and duel me with Ricard's Rapier, pussy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Here's hoping whatever online system FromSoft comes up with in Elden Ring they finally implement some sort of latency filter, so that lagstabbers from some countryside shithole with a shitty modem connection get cut off from the PvP for good.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
i'm at iron keep going for last great soul. idk why but i'm growing increasingly bored of the game.
most of areas feel like they don't have a soul like in ds1 . seems they were created from a checklist without regard for the atmosphere and how the player would feel traversing it. exception is majula wich is beautiful, but the rest of game is meh.
also what's the retardation behind having to kill 20 alonne knights to reach the smelter demon? i only made 1 attempt at the boss and i already feel exhausted
last fun moment was when i got obliterated by a player cleverly using poison mist to cover visual of his pyromancies casts but the pve part of the game is too bland.
as i said areas feel artificial ( that's the term i was looking for) and cheap

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I always thought Dark Souls 2 as a game that really doesn't want to be Dark Souls but had to be.
I got the sense that, as its own game, Dark Souls 2 would be fine. But as a Dark Souls game its not great, as it feels like some of the mechanics and level designs were forced in there in order for it to be classified as a dark souls sequel.

If the developers were allowed to make their own sort of IP with Dark Souls 2, like they did with Bloodborne, I'm sure we would have gotten a much better product out of it.

Dark Souls 3 felt like an attempt to synthesize Dark Souls 1 and 2, but also had to introduce new esoteric stuff because the fans like their weird dark souls lore that is barely explained upon and is only there for Vaati to speculate over.

I still have no idea what those fucking angels are.

Curratum

i'm at iron keep going for last great soul. idk why but i'm growing increasingly bored of the game.
most of areas feel like they don't have a soul like in ds1 . seems they were created from a checklist without regard for the atmosphere and how the player would feel traversing it. exception is majula wich is beautiful, but the rest of game is meh.
also what's the retardation behind having to kill 20 alonne knights to reach the smelter demon? i only made 1 attempt at the boss and i already feel exhausted
last fun moment was when i got obliterated by a player cleverly using poison mist to cover visual of his pyromancies casts but the pve part of the game is too bland.
as i said areas feel artificial ( that's the term i was looking for) and cheap

A couple of boss runs in DS2 are retarded but it's nothing like the complete pisstake that are at least 50% of DS1 boss runs.

mk0

Learned
The game is designed as a series of obstacle courses meant to wear down the player. Fortunately for you the Earthen Peak and Iron Keep combined section is the worst stretch of the game, not the worst singular section mind you, but since you're already halfway through the game and waist deep in shit, you might as well keep going skeleton.

I finished the game earlier this year and have no desire to ever go back to it again.
qxRgRaA.png

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Iron Keep is frustrating, and I don't just mean from a gameplay perspective.
You have an elevator that directly goes from from the Earthen Peak Boss room to the Iron Bridge, that has a massive lava moat, as its meant to be in the mouth of volcano.
That makes no sense.
What did make sense was what they had in the Dark Souls 2 trailer, where they show a wasteland that shows what is meant to be the gate to the Iron Keep, meaning that there was supposed to be a intervening area between Earthen Peak and Iron Keep to provide some geographical plausibility, but it got left out for...reasons.

Compare this to Dark Souls 1, where the game world was laid out in such a way where everything pretty much connected together perfectly, and one can understand why a lot of players were disappointed with Dark Souls 2.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Finally managed to beat iron keep. It's so weird how difficulty is all over the place in this game. You have a super long run to boss (smelter demon wich is also hard) , another super annoying section, and final boss of the area , the so called great soul,wich is a total pushover wich i killed at the second attempt only because at first i didnt see lava hole in the floor. Smelter demon should have been final boss of the area. Also beat glass knight and it was a good boss, even if enjoyed smelter demon (the fight itself not the run to it) more. At least you could skip those overpowered shadows before glass knight, even if they almost killed me after i beat the boss.
I'm now in shrine of aman and this place is a complete mess design wise. Invisible falls (unless you have a torch in left hand) hidden enemies in the water and wicthes sniping you fromn the opposite part of the map, three at once. As another user said all seems designed to wear down the player, not to make the game interesting or fun. Maybe i'm not skilled enough but this game goes far beyond what is reasonable about enemies placement, aggro range and numbers.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I don't know if it helps, but if you have a shield on hand with decent magic resistance, some poison arrows and don't mind taking things slowly, Amana is pretty reasonable.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dragon Aerie, Amana and Majula are my favourite places in vanilla DS2 and some of my favourite places in all Soulsbornes. In every run I can't wait to leave the fucking castle behind and get to Amana.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom