Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Man these Tomb Guards have such cool stomping moves. *raises foot - yeah take yout time buddy -WHLOOOMPPP* :lol:. But then I make them eat their own LASER BEAMS! and dispose of them quickly.
crazyrobot.gif

The Tomb Raider we never got/10.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Been playing this over the last few days and I'm surprised how good it is. Level Design is surpsingly thoughtful, combat is fun and Greez is hilarious. Easily the best Star Wars game since Republic Commando and a better 3rd-person action adventure than Tomb Raider..

Eh? I thought Republic Commando was terrible. I'd say Fallen Order is the best SW action game since Jedi Outcast.

RC was a very solid better Halo clone.

Also, why leave out Jedi Academy? Or Kotor II?

I'm playing the Halo remastered collection at the moment (finished Reach, on Halo 1 right now) and on PC (can't say about console), Halo is way better than RC. The guns feels better, there's more enemy variety, maps are larger and you can drive vehicles

I think EA will first ruin Respawn's future games by forcing them to develop crap no one want, like VR games

yeah, I knew about this game when I wrote the comment, I think EA is already ruining Respawn, but we might still get another Fallen order game from them (maybe with character creation this time
e7TMVpL.png
)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's relative. Considering the day and age we live in it's absolutely shocking how based this game is. I mean a straight white male protagonist that's not a secret villain, that's not constantly humiliated, degraded and mocked, that's unreservedly positive and wholesome?

When it comes to American mainstream entertainment I haven't seen anything like this for years now.

I mean, the most popular movies in the world for a decade now have been Marvel movies where 90% of the protagonists fall into this category.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's relative. Considering the day and age we live in it's absolutely shocking how based this game is. I mean a straight white male protagonist that's not a secret villain, that's not constantly humiliated, degraded and mocked, that's unreservedly positive and wholesome?

When it comes to American mainstream entertainment I haven't seen anything like this for years now.

I mean, the most popular movies in the world for a decade now have been Marvel movies where 90% of the protagonists fall into this category.
True. They had to finish Phase 3 so they didn't have much choice.

Now let me introduce you to Phase 4:

marvel-phase-4-movies-tv-shows-release-dates-actors-characters-1180596-1280x0.jpeg

Plus a black Cpt. America and a black Spiderman in the new Sony videogame.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
True. They had to finish Phase 3 so they didn't have much choice.

It does seem like they might go retardo with it, we'll see. Black Widow's great though.

Still... Jurassic World, James Bond, Joker... a lot of the biggest movies are still lead by white dudes. Not saying Hollywood isn't annoying as shit when it comes to diversity pandering, but I actually think it's amusing that they rarely live up to what they say for PR bullshit reasons. Just the other day the director of Fantastic Four was talking about how they wouldn't let him cast a black chick for Sue Storm. Hollywood (and Washington) is a bunch of people playing a long con, all they care about is money and power and they manipulate all sides to get it. Hollywood just goes to the left more because they mostly want them youth dollars.

Yosharian

Arcane
That is not what I am referring to.

But if you want to discuss this character in detail: one example of how woke she is, is how she gets to use Dark Side powers without ever once showing any side effects. Other characters, when they use the Dark Side, fall prey to its temptations, or at least run that risk, and show it. She never does. She's basically immune to it.

This is one clear characteristic of woke writing, aside from it just generally being awful: it makes it so that minority characters are just flat out better than other characters, for no discernible reason.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
But if you want to discuss this character in detail: one example of how woke she is, is how she gets to use Dark Side powers without ever once showing any side effects. Other characters, when they use the Dark Side, fall prey to its temptations, or at least run that risk, and show it. She never does. She's basically immune to it.

Didn't she cut herself off the force to avoid those temptations?

This is one clear characteristic of woke writing, aside from it just generally being awful: it makes it so that minority characters are just flat out better than other characters, for no discernible reason.

Yeah, that redhead was pretty powerful for his age.

:troll:

Yosharian

Arcane

Didn't she cut herself off the force to avoid those temptations?

That's strange, I could have sworn I saw her clearly using the force in the fight against Vader

oh dear, you appear to have just made my case for me

"I cut myself off from the Force!"
*uses Dark Side Force powers*
*to beat Vader*
*who is established as most powerful Force user in the world*
*no consequences*

Last edited:

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Cere wasn't severed from the Force like The Exile, it's more like TLJ Luke who just turned away from it but could still tap into it when it was needed.
As for no side effects, it drains her so much she passes out and Cal has to drag her ass home when Vader breaks her concentration.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Get woke go brok-
It sold like gangbusters because it's actually a half-decent game and it's Star Wars. Not because it's woke (it is).

People don't use that saying to mean "woke doesn't make you a success." They use it to attempt to say getting too woke will hurt your business. Yet there's no real merit to this in any dependable capacity. It just makes people on the Trump side of the culture war feel better, like a far-lefty repeating to themselves that babies aren't alive until they come out and start crying.
Plenty of cases that preaching wokeness backfired hard, especially when it is making characters that no one wants or changing characters for tokenism appeal. Going woke, gone broke became a meme because there are plenty of examples of it, it isnt just right wing people imagining things, plenty of cancelled shows,cancelled comic books, cancelled movies, low performing movies and shows and etc are there to anyone to see, a quick google search is enough.

The only franchises that do woke stuff and are still "successful" are big franchises like Star Wars but nobody gone watch those because of the woke stuff but because of the power of the brand associated with them and even them had a series of troubles like Star wars merchandising and theme park business being a colossal flop. It turns out, children, especially boys that are 90% of the consumer market for Star Wars toys dont give a shiet about the new Star Wars characters.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Get woke go brok-
It sold like gangbusters because it's actually a half-decent game and it's Star Wars. Not because it's woke (it is).

People don't use that saying to mean "woke doesn't make you a success." They use it to attempt to say getting too woke will hurt your business. Yet there's no real merit to this in any dependable capacity. It just makes people on the Trump side of the culture war feel better, like a far-lefty repeating to themselves that babies aren't alive until they come out and start crying.
Plenty of cases that preaching wokeness backfired hard, especially when it is making characters that no one wants or changing characters for tokenism appeal. Going woke, gone broke became a meme because there are plenty of examples of it, it isnt just right wing people imagining things, plenty of cancelled shows,cancelled comic books, cancelled movies, low performing movies and shows and etc are there to anyone to see, a quick google search is enough.

The only franchises that do woke stuff and are still "successful" are big franchises like Star Wars but nobody gone watch those because of the woke stuff but because of the power of the brand associated with them and even them had a series of troubles like Star wars merchandising and theme park business being a colossal flop. It turns out, children, especially boys that are 90% of the consumer market for Star Wars toys dont give a shiet about the new Star Wars characters.

Yeah, the panic at Disney isn't about the movies - they've made a healthy amount of money because people are mostly curious enough to give a Star Wars movie at least one viewing (although I think that syndrome's probably over - I couldn't be bothered even to pirate the last one, far less pay good money to see it in a cinema). (And I may say that TFA was a huge red pill for me at the time. I mourned for several days at a #firstworldproblems level, and that movie did more to turn me, eventually, into the Fascist I am today than anything else, other than a certain Hawaiian shirt.)

The problem has been that the merch and the Disneyworld stuff have tanked. And that's a problem because the majority of SW money has always been made from the merch. It dwarfs the money made from the movies themselves, to the extent that the movies are basically just glorified advertising campaigns. And that's the way SW was from the beginning, and quite consciously - the story about how Lucas insisted on a merch clause in the first movie contract is revealing.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
That's strange, I could have sworn I saw her clearly using the force in the fight against Vader

*to beat Vader*
*no consequences*

"Beat vader"? The best she manages is to slow him down one whole minute.And it's heavily implied she would be succumbing to the dark side if she continued tapping into the Force, plus she still wasn't stopping Vader.
There is no question what would have happened if they had waited another few seconds before running away (and she had to be saved by someone else on top of that). They displayed Vader with the menace the character deserves.
I'm not saying it was perfect, but it's far better than anything else Disney shat out recently.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Meh. I think in most cases, like say the Ghostbusters reboot, the actual reason is the movie looks like shit. Avengers Endgame had one of the cheesiest woke moments I've ever seen where the girls all team up for a glory shot and yet no one really cared, because the movie was good. The movie that film replaced as the biggest money maker ever, Avatar, is woke as SHIT. So no, I'm not sold on it actually mattering, sorry.

It would take a much more extensive study than either of us can do to really come close to a factual answer though, and even then it would be a tendency and not a rule. Also I'd guess these studios have done such studies, and they're woke as shit in public, so... yeah.

lightbane

Arcane
The problem has been that the merch and the Disneyworld stuff have tanked. And that's a problem because the majority of SW money has always been made from the merch. It dwarfs the money made from the movies themselves, to the extent that the movies are basically just glorified advertising campaigns. And that's the way SW was from the beginning, and quite consciously - the story about how Lucas insisted on a merch clause in the first movie contract is revealing.

Looks like Spaceballs was onto something. So, is this worth it? Despite being a literal Dark Souls clone with a coat of paint of Star Wars, from what little I've seen, it's playable and fun, which is quite a surprise considering EA's recent games. Of course, it has an ugly (negroid) character shoved in the game, but that's the rule all recent Western games follow, sadly.

Yosharian

Arcane

*to beat Vader*
*no consequences*

"Beat vader"? The best she manages is to slow him down one whole minute.And it's heavily implied she would be succumbing to the dark side if she continued tapping into the Force, plus she still wasn't stopping Vader.
There is no question what would have happened if they had waited another few seconds before running away (and she had to be saved by someone else on top of that). They displayed Vader with the menace the character deserves.
I'm not saying it was perfect, but it's far better than anything else Disney shat out recently.
She got to beat Vader in that one moment, completely stopping his saber attack

And there were no consequences for it

Great writing

Again, this is not how the Force works

Yosharian

Arcane
Again, this is not how the Force works
oh piss off, the force has never been anything more than a plot device that does whatever is needed.
Alright, let me try it from a different angle - if the Force allows users to utilize Dark Side powers whenever they are needed with no consequence, then the Dark Side as a storytelling device is useless.

The whole point of the Dark Side is that it's insidious, it creeps inside you and takes you over without you realising.

It even threatened Luke, who is basically Space Jesus in the films. He has to actually throw away his Lightsaber and effectively commit suicide in order to avoid succumbing to it. It's only Vader turning at the last moment that saves him, otherwise he'd (literally) be toast.

This works as a plot element because we recognize the great sacrifice involved with throwing away one's weapon and exposing one's self to utter annihilation, all to avoid succumbing to an evil 'Force'. And we can recognize the poetry of one who has previously succumbed to it, being the force that eventually saves Luke.

Say what you like about Star Wars, it is a flawed franchise, but this is one of the greatest moments in movie history.

By comparison, Cere's use of the Dark Side is a cheap trick that throws away every established rule of how the Dark Side works. It's employed purely to aggrandize this character, make her appear more impressive, but it has the opposite effect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom