Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

bataille

Arcane
One of the problems in kotc 1 was the fact the enemies acted too artificially: no matter the type, be it a simpleton gnoll or a cunning, century-old lich, they all seemed to act like optimized machines, never panicking or making a wrong move. That added to the puzzle-like feel of the encounters: they unfolded in one general way and had their own hard counters. Sure, a wizard that always uses a fireball against your blob of a party during the first round is "optimal" as in "it decimates the player in the most effective way", but it also creates this immersion-breaking feel like you're solving a predetermined puzzle, not surviving an emergent scenario (case in point, feeling like a slave to the initial initiative roll).

Adjusting the various numeric values of the encounters is a tried and true way to tune them, but having multiple options that affect how "optimal" the enemy AI acts would be so much better. Scaling it with enemy intelligence would be perfect, but I doubt it's achievable in any reasonable amount of time. An animated portcullis that is stuck in the loop of the "ready for approach" command shouldn't happen unless you're playing on some weird challenge difficulty setting.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Hope you saved a rest Tweed cos you don't get another one

I can't get past the gate, last time it was going great till I accidentally smashed the second gate down and then someone started casting dispel and it made the entire game hang. I'm starting to get really sleepy too so I'm probably going to hang it up for now, looks like you'll be the first to taste sweet victory.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Are you suggesting to randomize the AI?

One of the problems in kotc 1 was the fact the enemies acted too artificially: no matter the type, be it a simpleton gnoll or a cunning, century-old lich, they all seemed to act like optimized machines, never panicking or making a wrong move. That added to the puzzle-like feel of the encounters: they unfolded in one general way and had their own hard counters. Sure, a wizard that always uses a fireball against your blob of a party during the first round is "optimal" as in "it decimates the player in the most effective way", but it also creates this immersion-breaking feel like you're solving a predetermined puzzle, not surviving an emergent scenario (case in point, feeling like a slave to the initial initiative roll).

Adjusting the various numeric values of the encounters is a tried and true way to tune them, but having multiple options that affect how "optimal" the enemy AI acts would be so much better. Scaling it with enemy intelligence would be perfect, but I doubt it's achievable in any reasonable amount of time. An animated portcullis that is stuck in the loop of the "ready for approach" command shouldn't happen unless you're playing on some weird challenge difficulty setting.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
I feel it is quite random in KOTC2. for example in the pool fight the shark shaman might cast a summon spell or magic stone or quicksand on you. Same with the fire salamander, sometimes he shoots a fireball at you, sometimes he gets close and melee...

jungl

Augur

implemented something like this sounds cool but would just lead to easy bad encounters

bataille

Arcane
Are you suggesting to randomize the AI?

I'm not an expert, but my guess would be that the AI could calculate a number of possible actions, assemble them in a hierarchical order, and pick one depending on the difficulty setting. I think making the AI prioritize certain spells over the others is a pretty solid way to tune difficulty. The same goes for the AI picking its targets, flanking, tripping, etc. Pierre seems to know the systems thoroughly enough to make all the necessary informed decisions regarding the spells and abilities.

But who knows, it's just a guess. Maybe there are easier and more efficient ways to go about the whole thing.

Noddy

Augur
I can't get past the gate, last time it was going great till I accidentally smashed the second gate down and then someone started casting dispel and it made the entire game hang. I'm starting to get really sleepy too so I'm probably going to hang it up for now, looks like you'll be the first to taste sweet victory.
Will i fuck. The other side is even worse. And i get the feeling this isn't even the last fight.

Not pictured: all the shit that spaws in. Every round.

I'm fucking drained and have no real plan.
Gonna sleep aswell and hope an idea comes to me, but honestly fuck knows.
Game just gets harder and harder.
Think Jasade might be frist tbh

The Red Knight

Erudite
BTW this is what can be done to the enemy behaviour in the editor:
qAojrTL.png

A different monster:
a4YKGJM.png

Vanilla tactics scripts seem to be only about giving some specific spells/skills to a few monsters, but it opens in a normal script editor so it might be possible to randomize the behaviour further through that?

I imagine a hacky difficulty mode would be possible where the module asks you at the start to pick difficulty, there would be duplicate versions of some monsters with different (easier/harder) scripting, and for the afffected battles the module would hide/show the easier/harder versions of the monsters.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Will i fuck. The other side is even worse. And i get the feeling this isn't even the last fight.

Not pictured: all the shit that spaws in. Every round.

I'm fucking drained and have no real plan.
Gonna sleep aswell and hope an idea comes to me, but honestly fuck knows.
Game just gets harder and harder.
Think Jasade might be frist tbh

*Screams in kobold*

I'll try and clear the gate tomorrow, its getting easier to handle. I've got one rest left, but after that I don't see how I'm going be able to push through that mess without a fist full of prismatic voids and tornado blasts.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I've been rolling my sorcerer for 90 minutes. I'm pretty sure I got mesmerized pressing enter to roll quickly and missed out on a 20 CHA, 20 DEX, 12 CON roll. :argh:

Zeriel

Arcane

implemented something like this sounds cool but would just lead to easy bad encounters

Original XCOM (DOS) had a genius solution. The AI picks the "right" move 80% or so of the time, but the other 20% picks random moves that make no sense. This sounds dumb in theory, but it creates the illusion of a real, thinking creature with agency, and led to the famous closet aliens and other unique aspects of OG XCOM that were never replicated in any other game. Sometimes unpredictability is better, even if it isn't smart. Being able to predict what the AI will do is "easy" in its own way.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
XCom was like crack. I've seen a few other interviews with golden age PC game devs espousing the virtues of fun random stuff that leads to rare and fun experiences. They don't have to be AI driven it just feels that way.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Jasede your suggestions are good. I used your suggestions to build a party which is largely as suggested. Friar Tuck and his band of barbarians.

2 @ Female painted mantis barbs, one on track for quad weilded swords and the other with flails.

The third female barb is 1/2 giant with hammer and pick and a focus on tripping. By the way, hammers hit pretty fucking hard. At level 1 my trip barb consistently hits for 23 HP insta-gibs on cultists.

Tuck is the male human bishop and I have the suggested scoecerer and psi.

So far, so good.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am going to kill someone.

Beat the Chapter 3 intro fight for the fifth time, in the new patch.
Saved after.

Load game, new NPC has disappeared, along with the book.

Things that have happened to me at the beginning of chapter 3:

1) beat fight, save, accept new NPC, open her char sheet, crash, save gone
2) beat fight, save, accept new NPC, load, NPC gone, along with book
3) beat fight, save, reload, fight triggers again

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Jasede your suggestions are good. I used your suggestions to build a party which is largely as suggested. Friar Tuck and his band of barbarians.

2 @ Female painted mantis barbs, one on track for quad weilded swords and the other with flails.

The third female barb is 1/2 giant with hammer and pick and a focus on tripping. By the way, hammers hit pretty fucking hard. At level 1 my trip barb consistently hits for 23 HP insta-gibs on cultists.

Tuck is the male human bishop and I have the suggested scoecerer and psi.

So far, so good.

Barbarians can't take the oversized two weapon fighting, you will have to use at least 3 light weapons

Citizen

Maps look great btw, but jeez both ultima7-style sprites and tokens clash with the maps art style so hard... It would be perfect with the Age of Fear style top-down sprites

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am so tired of doing the same battle I have won five times before again because all my saves corrupted or bugged out, only to get bad initiative rolls and die before making a move. :negative:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
He did it with Wizard Cleric Psion Ranger Gladiator and Samurai. No crazy Jasede builds

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
IgnoredFence

Well done.

Rpguy
I was mostly theory crafting. Let's compare our parties:

Jasede / Fence
Gladiator Gladiator
Wizard Wizard
Psion Psion
Samurai Samurai
Gladiator Ranger
Bishop Cleric

...oh whoopee, my Cleric is a Bishop and my Ranger is a Gladiator...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom