Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Manor Lords - medieval city-building with large scale battles

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://manorlords.com

Developed by a solo developer under the name of Slavic Magic. Not a lot of info about actual gameplay but there are some sinppets on Twitter.

ss_36e9a836e659b448eaee0305232b94098f1b4c87.1920x1080.jpg

ss_f184560cc1dddc5dcba28e0bb4073cc72eb2f08f.1920x1080.jpg

Upcoming medieval strategy game for PC that combines deep, organic and realistic city building with large scale, tactical battles.

ORGANIC CITYBUILDING

roads_intagram_square.gif

Manor Lords aims to provide a gridless, organic city-building experience with full freedom of placement and rotation, but utilizing snapping tools to make the planning more comfortable.

The building mechanic is motivated by the growth of real medieval towns and villages, where major trade routes and landscape often influenced how the settlement shaped and developed.

HISTORICAL REALISM

social_plow_06.gif

While the game is not set in a particular century, every building is inspired by historical references from XI-XV century Europe.

Fields must be plowed by a team of oxen, iron bloomed in a bloomery, the sheep herded on the open pastures governed by the Lord of the Manor…
This combined with an attention to detail is the key to immersing yourself fully in the medieval fiefdom you rule.

The seasons pass, the weather changes, towns can rise and fall to war, disease or famine.

LARGE SCALE BATTLES

battle.gif

Manor Lords aims to portray battles that feel real, with large scale unit formations, morale, flanking, fatigue , weather and equipment all coming into play.

Position your troops wisely. Even a smaller force can beat a larger, but poorly led army if commanded well.

Cavalry, fortifications, units on walls, gunpowder and siege engines (trebuchets!) are a work in progress and will certainly be present in the final game.

HAND CRAFTED
This game is created by a solo developer. You can reach out to me and share your opinions, ideas and criticisms - I listen to your feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Looking at the footage, there is no chance in hell a single developer made this, unless it is a fake and is just some animated models with no substance. Even just the textures and the models of a single soldier look like serious work. Without looking at any info about the game, i would assume he licenced some engine, then got some 3rd party assets, and created his "solo" game. Still impressive in any case, but we are not buying games just because they were made by a single person, we buy them if they are good. Keep in mind if let's say this game costs 60$, and Civlization VI costs 60$, this was made by 1 person and Civ 6 by tens of people, this means that Manor Lords is expensive....

Will have a look for it in any case when it releases.

Zariusz

Arbiter
That looks very tasty, i hope its all real. Maybe its one of those games that are developed for many years without any annoucements. Or not, time will tell.
Slavic Magic is like best name ever, also it seems that dev is from our glorious Potatoland.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nice but single person is never good. Many games looks impressive but failed to deliver fine title at the end of EA. I hope he gets help as game looks great. Wish it reach end of EA and hit release.
Several great games have been made by solo developers with a few contractors, until they became super popular and took off:
Kenshi, Rimworld, Void Destroyer 2, Minecraft and Starsector for instance.

Stardew Valley and Undertale were entirely made by a solo developers. I suppose they don't appeal to many here, but I'm pretty sure many players considered them good.

That said, solo developers usually don't do good 3D models themselves, but it is quite possible he bought them one way or another.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Nice but single person is never good. Many games looks impressive but failed to deliver fine title at the end of EA. I hope he gets help as game looks great. Wish it reach end of EA and hit release.
Several great games have been made by solo developers with a few contractors, until they became super popular and took off:
Kenshi, Rimworld, Void Destroyer 2, Minecraft and Starsector for instance.

Stardew Valley and Undertale were entirely made by a solo developers. I suppose they don't appeal to many here, but I'm pretty sure many players considered them good.

That said, solo developers usually don't do good 3D models themselves, but it is quite possible he bought them one way or another.

I believe Banished was a solo game as well. The guy who made it had a little help with some music and audio stuff, but nearly all the coding and programming was all done by himself.

Manor Lords does look great, but I'm cautious about it. The games with the loftiest promises usually have the hardest falls after the hype train derails.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
From what I know he's filmmaker (mainly advertisements) and does mocap and photogrammetry. Some of nature models and textures are from Megascans and Unreal store, but he created majority of unique buldings and characters. He has no prior experience in gamedev.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Is the narrator heavily drugged? I heard text-to-speech programs that had more natural speech than him.

Graphically this looks pretty nice but the Skyrim style ui is aweful. As always it remains to be seen how good the actual economic system is.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Stardew Valley is kinda the gold standard for what one person can do. Really inspiring work (esp. to someone interested in different mediums and integrating them).

Game looks interesting. Hope it works out. :)

Last edited:

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Stardew Valley is kinda the gold standard for what one person can do.
Nah.
Diamond_heights.jpg

openttd1.jpg

These are far more impressive. Deformable terrain, complex 3d structures and complex simulated economies. Endless replayability. And the based madman wrote it all in x86 assembly which as a lazy modern programmer makes me go cross eyed just thinking about it (to try an give an analogy that's basically Tony Stark building the Iron Man suit in a cave, with a box of scraps).

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
These are far more impressive. Deformable terrain, complex 3d structures and complex simulated economies. Endless replayability. And the based madman wrote it all in x86 assembly which as a lazy modern programmer makes me go cross eyed just thinking about it (to try an give an analogy that's basically Tony Stark building the Iron Man suit in a cave, with a box of scraps).

Being a programming whiz kid isn't the point, it's that the guy that made Stardew Valley did an excellent job with many different skills. Hell, being just decent at writing, art/sprites, and music is in itself something impressive, nevermind adding game design to the mix.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
My first thought when I saw this was "wow KCD RTS." Seems like that is a fairly common response lol (and no, there is no direct relation to Warhorse/KCD other than the Slavic Magic dude possible being Czech).

Obviously I aint holding my breath for this to come out (I saw a Czech article from July 2020 which said that this was going to enter EA in fall 2020, which apparently didnt happen), but it certainly does look great.

Ironmonk

Augur
This kinda is what I hoped Mount & Blade to be.

And in a way, you might think this as the next step that Stronghold Crusader should have taken.

Hope the dev can finish it (and properly... and not in 10 years).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom