Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Serious Sam 4

Pre-ordered for eight bucks.

I'm not really conviced about the videos they showed on Steam. It looks exactly like SS3, and that was nine years ago. The vehicles sections is nothing new since they tried that in SS2 and didn't work pretty well, since they removed that feature in SS3. I don't see anything new that can improve the game compared to the previous ones honestly.

Still, i'm gonna take my chances. If it's as good as SS3 or the First and Second Encounter, that would be enough.

JDR13

Arcane

I'm not really conviced about the videos they showed on Steam. It looks exactly like SS3, and that was nine years ago. The vehicles sections is nothing new since they tried that in SS2 and didn't work pretty well, since they removed that feature in SS3. I don't see anything new that can improve the game compared to the previous ones honestly.

Still, i'm gonna take my chances. If it's as good as SS3 or the First and Second Encounter, that would be enough.

Where did you find a pre-order for $8?

Hard to believe SS3 is already 9 years old. I was pretty sure you were mistaken until I looked it up. I've actually never played it despite being a fan of the older titles.

UserNamer

Cipher
I thought serious Sam 3 was awesome. Not a fan of unavoidable hitscanners but to be fair in ss3 we had two types of them, cannon fodder soldiers (entirely dodgeable) And arachnid/helicopter that had such a long windup you could annihilate them with anything rocket launcher and above. It was possible to avoid all damage

The melee kills were appropriate (you didn't have invincibility while performing them, they required excellent timing with kleers). Reloading I didn't care much since anything rocket launcher and above didn't require it

Overall it was an intense and demanding singleplayer shooter with excellent enemy design. The "realism" of the graphics worked well with the absurdity of the battles And character, and there were some very nice visuals.

Missing level design: fake criticism

In short I will buy serious Sam 4. I think it's a formula that only needs marginal improvements and the base gameplay is challenging and intense (if anybody here has never played seriouss and bought into croteam self defeating marketing of it just being mindlessly shooting enemies while running backward I can assure it's not the case*, it's a super intense game played on the real difficulty level "serious" and all shooter fans should try bfe and second encounter in my opinion)

I just don't understand why waiting so much time and I would hope to see in the future something like last hope where each level is a different setting

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

This post encapsulates my experience with SSam 2: It looked so good back in 2005 that I bought a physical copy of it on release day, and even threw in the extra cost of having it imported here. It wasn't super-expensive, but notable enough that the disappointment was palpable once I started playing the game.

It's because of SSam 2 that I didn't buy another game immediately upon release until 2014. Any 'release day'-purchases I've made since then have either been purchases on the lower end of the monetary spectrum, or games I was 100% assured would be worth it. They can also be counted on the fingers of one hand.

I waited a while until buying SSam 3, and I will do the same with SSam 4. There's nothing in there that wows or impresses me.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Those are the same vids that were posted on the previous page but condensed into one.

Also, rewatching I noticed that enemies drop random ammo pickups. Ruh-roh.

UserNamer

Cipher
Just seen the kleer dropping minigun ammo. Stupid. I remember in ss3 after you got the minigun you got to be careful not to retreat too much so you could run and look for ammo before the next massive wave . With ammo drops it's a whole dimension removed from the game

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Those are the same vids that were posted on the previous page but condensed into one.

Also, rewatching I noticed that enemies drop random ammo pickups. Ruh-roh.
If they're serious about throwing a million enemies on screen at once at you, then that obviously poses some ammo concerns that manual ammo item placement isn't enough for. Besides, if enemies drop ammo right where they're killed, this would actually give you a reason to move forwards instead of keeping the Move Backwards button pressed for the whole fight, which should be Serious Incline more than anything.

Where did you find a pre-order for $8?

Hard to believe SS3 is already 9 years old. I was pretty sure you were mistaken until I looked it up. I've actually never played it despite being a fan of the older titles.

Yeap, it came out in 2011, the same year as Duke Nukem Forever. After playing that -lineal/auto healing/2 limit weapon/with minigames every damn time- fps piece of shit, SS3 was like a redemption to the genre.

Give it a chance, it's pretty damn good. Maybe not as good as FE and SE, but it's a worthy addition to the franchise, and is better than SS2. Way better.

Despite i completed SS3 twice, i actually never finished the dlc, Jewel of the Nile. Maybe i was exhausted by that time, but i'll play it next month.

UserNamer

Cipher
I think serious Sam 3 is very good. Its a real game, it might have 1 or 2 annoying things but it's an awesome action game with intense battles. Play on serious which actually requires playing and not just going backward and shooting (that happens sometimes if course )

I hope 4 doesn't disappoint

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Serious Sam 3 was not originally intended to be a real SS game, it was appropriated mid-development and given a Serious Sam skin because of *reasons*. Originally it was going to be some kind of military-themed game with mainstream appeal.

Scarlet Lilith

Learned
Serious Sam 3 was not originally intended to be a real SS game, it was appropriated mid-development and given a Serious Sam skin because of *reasons*. Originally it was going to be some kind of military-themed game with mainstream appeal.
Wasn't it pitched as Doom 4 or am I thinking of another game? There's like a not-baron of hell and a not-mancubus as enemies in SS3.

UserNamer

Cipher
Probably Sam's redesign of mancubus and baron of hell were better than in the new doom (I liked eternal though)

Anyway I still think bfe felt like a serious Sam game and the realistic feel enhanched it and the absurdity was actually enhanched. There were a few annoying things but nothing major

Here is the list

-player speed. You are as fast as In the other games plus you have unlimited sprint. Actually I wouldn't mind for that type of sprint to be back

-hitscanners. Ok first of all most old school shooters had a number of hitscanner. In Sam's defense, they mostly tend to have such a big wind up time that you can destroy them before they can attack.

On the other hand cloned soldiers do low damage but are annoying. In most cases you can always dodge them, there are a few parts where you want to move to cover just to avoid the annoying effect when they hit you, but the game is still a intense slaughter with other enemy types rushing you.

Not defending hitscan enemies but they were not so much of a problem here and they don't turn the game into a popamole. You just need to prioritize them and send them a 100 of rockets their way and then focus on the rest (for big ones ) or rush them

-reloading. Affects 3 base weapons that become obsolete soon and after that it works like a regular SS game. Only non obsolete weapon you need to reload was the devastator which was over powered anyway

But I played and loved this game years ago so I might be wrong

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Honestly this looks like a DLC for SS3. Graphical fidelity is hardly up to modern standards. Also pretty telling they are only charging $40 for it. Something obviously happened during development.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I would never play an FPS on a console but if someone cares...

Stadia Exclusivity Will Keep Serious Sam 4 Off PS4 And Xbox Until 2021
Serious Sam 4 is coming to PC and Stadia in August 2020. Yes, you read that right… Stadia. While previous previews of the game indicated it would also appear on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, Google’s cloud gaming service will get Serious Sam 4 long before any traditional consoles.

“The game is still coming to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 after its period of exclusivity is over with Stadia,” a rep for publisher Devolver Digital told Kotaku over email, adding that those consoles won’t receive Serious Sam 4 until 2021 after further inquiry.
Serious Sam 4, developed by the Croatia-based Croteam, is the series’ first mainline game since 2011. In series of short preview videos released alongside today’s announcement, the developers show off what players can expect from the combat, enemies, weapons, music, and the new Legion system, which is said to support “hundreds of thousands” of enemies on-screen.

https://kotaku.com/stadia-exclusivity-will-keep-serious-sam-4-off-ps4-and-1843568732
It's fucking brilliant and literally money for nothing.
The normal console versions wouldn't have come out until a year later anyway, just like with BFE and Talos, so they just went with something that probably barely requires much conversion work or negotiations since their former CTO is working on it who is tech savvy enough to know that the whole thing is bullshit and is probably just funneling money from the eggheads at Google.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
100000 enemies? I wonder how. I have a hunch they will use some clever LOD tricks. Besides normal LOD, perhaps enemies that are faraway are turned into sprites and the further they are the lower res the sprites are. Total War uses something similar. They might also use clever level design tricks to fool the player such as classic L corridors. Perhaps this also means there are no scoped weapons? Scoped weapons zoom quite a lot and perhaps changing between so many LODs might cause memory problems.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

And it shows. Sprinting, reloading, ADS, finishing moves, etc. Huge decline.

Silly Germans

100000 enemies? I wonder how. I have a hunch they will use some clever LOD tricks. Besides normal LOD, perhaps enemies that are faraway are turned into sprites and the further they are the lower res the sprites are. Total War uses something similar. They might also use clever level design tricks to fool the player such as classic L corridors. Perhaps this also means there are no scoped weapons? Scoped weapons zoom quite a lot and perhaps changing between so many LODs might cause memory problems.
That number is a marketing gimmick. Even if they could do it enginewise, it would be pointless. Assume that it takes you on average 1 second to dispatch an enemy. The total time to kill all those enemies would then be 1 day, 3 hours, 46 minutes and 40 seconds of nonstop killing. If the groups become to large it stops being fun. I don't think that you ever fought more than say 100 enemies at the same time in the old titles (except the suicide frog perhaps). I am quite disappointed that they didn't announce anything that actually sounds like an improvement instead of marketing nonsense. They should show some longer unedited game play instead of making pointless claims.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
It looks great so far, I love the new art direction and death feedback, but the one thing that worries me is that none of the trailers have shown the vehicles or world traversal. Maybe Croteam changed their minds since 2018 and that part isn't gonna be as prominent.
Also I can't shake the feeling that half the assets are recycled from the Talos Principle. Not just the roman ones, but the Russian brutalist architecture looks exactly like The Tower.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I hope I can turn off the Glowey-highlights around ammo drops. I hate that type of crap design.
It's justified, they need to stand out among the visual chaos. If the enemy numbers are gonna be as huge as Croteam says, you'll need to refill mid-battle, and you can't do that unless the ammo is clearly and immediately visible.

UserNamer

Cipher
Well in the past pickups used to be visible due to good visual design instead of resorting to glow ups but possibly it's a minor nitpick

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom