Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Fewer occasions where there is a false choice between a conversation option and getting mullered by a group of high level mobs. Could any non-metagaming player ever beat the three guys at the windmill?

Depends how late you do the main quest. I usually leave the MQ for quite a while and go gallivanting after learning perfect block and ripostes from Bernard. Admittedly, if you do that part of the MQ at the point where it's probably intended, then that fight would be almost impossible.

If you fight them later with good equipment and skills you can pretty easily defeat all of them. You just have to keep moving and do your best to separate them.

Agree. I'm not a metagaming player (it would be hard to do anyway playing at the release), but I don't remember that fight as being hard. I didn't go as far to learn perfect block and riposte if I remember correctly., but I did spend some time training with Bernard to be better at combat.

Unless if I misremembered this is how I handled it:
You can give them the location of the hapless dude, that'll leave one guy behind to watch you. He said not to move an inch. So I didn't and fully draw my bow and let loose the arrow to his head.
Then I get on the horse and ride as fast as possible to the poor sap that's about to be murdered. Then rescue him from the assholes.

deuxhero

Arcane
I did a large chunk of the side content after finishing the farm raid quest. I actually redid that fight not because it was hard, but because I couldn't find one of the bodies and wanted the loot. So yeah, not hard if you delayed the main quest.

Really, I think one of the biggest problems with the game, right after countering being OP, is how weird it is to stop doing the main quest at any point. After Awakening ends the more direct railroading, you're immediately thrown into guard duty, then a hunting trip, then (despite this giving the perfect chance to end the railroad since several days supposedly pass at this point) forced into the farm burning quest, which then implies you need to be quick for the next part (when in actuality the timer doesn't start till you make a bit of progress in the next quest).

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Depends how late you do the main quest. I usually leave the MQ for quite a while and go gallivanting after learning perfect block and ripostes from Bernard. Admittedly, if you do that part of the MQ at the point where it's probably intended, then that fight would be almost impossible.

If you fight them later with good equipment and skills you can pretty easily defeat all of them. You just have to keep moving and do your best to separate them.

I definitely needed to learn master strikes to beat those 3 fuckers. Actually I got that encounter twice. First time I encountered them, I kited one guy away from the group, killed him, then went back to find that everyone else had disappeared. Then I realised I didn't bring a shovel too, so I went to Rattay to buy one, and it was around this time also that I bought the DLC and got Mutt. When I came back, the crowd had respawned, but because this time I had Mutt with me, it made the fight easier even though I had two guys ganking me.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did a large chunk of the side content after finishing the farm raid quest. I actually redid that fight not because it was hard, but because I couldn't find one of the bodies and wanted the loot. So yeah, not hard if you delayed the main quest.

Really, I think one of the biggest problems with the game, right after countering being OP, is how weird it is to stop doing the main quest at any point. After Awakening ends the more direct railroading, you're immediately thrown into guard duty, then a hunting trip, then (despite this giving the perfect chance to end the railroad since several days supposedly pass at this point) forced into the farm burning quest, which then implies you need to be quick for the next part (when in actuality the timer doesn't start till you make a bit of progress in the next quest).

Pretty common issue in open worlders. Though it does feel especially jarring in KCD as Henry can go off and spend three or four days becoming a skilled man at arms, then everyone still treats him as an untrained bumpkin despite the fact he's probably rocking a full set of plate armour and expensive weaponry.

That said, I was quite amused that Han's hunting quest handled you having a horse (even having a completely different cutscene during the Cuman part) despite the fact you probably shouldn't have one that early in the story unless you've been exploring (or going on a mass robbery trip through towns).

RK47

Patron
I hated Hans hunting quest for the boar cutscene blackout that disoriented the player.

That made finding hans more frustrating than it should be.

Funposter

Arcane

Pretty common issue in open worlders. Though it does feel especially jarring in KCD as Henry can go off and spend three or four days becoming a skilled man at arms, then everyone still treats him as an untrained bumpkin despite the fact he's probably rocking a full set of plate armour and expensive weaponry.

That said, I was quite amused that Han's hunting quest handled you having a horse (even having a completely different cutscene during the Cuman part) despite the fact you probably shouldn't have one that early in the story unless you've been exploring (or going on a mass robbery trip through towns).
Pretty easy fix to the problem would have been having Pebbles be a "loan" horse for the duration of the Neuhof mission (although when does it really even end?), and also just letting the player mess around for a couple of days in between the Hunting trip and Neuhof. Just say "check back in a few days" and let Henry go off and do things, and most importantly, actually give me time to sell all of the stuff I looted from those Cumans without Bernard getting pissed off at me.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hated Hans hunting quest for the boar cutscene blackout that disoriented the player.

That made finding hans more frustrating than it should be.

If you do it with a horse, you get dumped straight into combat with the cumans, you don't have to find Hans.

Beowulf

Arcane
The games teases you with this concept of doing what you want at the start, but then the beginning is extremely railroady with a lot of hand-holding. You just have to go through few hours of linear storyline where there is little to none player agency before the game finally opens up when you wake up in the mill. And then you still have this chain of quests where you can't really take a break. I hope they will improve the introduction in the second game. I know Vávra wants us to experience the story he imagined for Henry, but the linear nature of the beginning is noticeable when browsing the reviews.

A pity, as Kingdome Come, despite its bugs and overall jankiness, was one of the best FPS/RPG games I played in the recent years.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Most memorable time was probably being stuck in some geometry. Tried reloading (ironman) and still stuck.
And there was no fast travel. I thought up of everything and realized I can probably chug all my supply of alcohol till Henry blacks out and wake up elsewhere.
Makes for an interesting detour.

Some of the bugs make for some funny moments atleast.

After that Talmberg horse race, while taking a shortcut through the forest I stumbled upon a cuman camp and couldn't get out of combat even after winning the race, so I couldn't talk to Sir Divish to complete the quest. The solution I found was to punch a guard in the face and surrender right after.

RK47

Patron
Oh that race. There are 3 ways to win it : first is to do it fairly.

Second is to go to the starting line earlier. And gently push the other contestants away from their starting line. Do this and talk to Divish and he will wonder aloud where everyone else is. And since you're the only one there , he will crown you winner by default.

Third is killing the other contestants' horses during the race. Not optimal since the guards will arrest you after the prize ceremony. But hey, You won!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most memorable time was probably being stuck in some geometry. Tried reloading (ironman) and still stuck.
And there was no fast travel. I thought up of everything and realized I can probably chug all my supply of alcohol till Henry blacks out and wake up elsewhere.
Makes for an interesting detour.

That's how you fast travel in the real world too (with random destination).

Quillon

Arcane

@24:00: "its may and there are apples, immersion destroyed" ... scale up to Sawya's level codexers!

@29:30: he criticizes warhorse's amateur way of designing quests :D which btw:

Tho what I like the most about KCD is apart from "go kill bandits/cumans" quests almost all the quests are inspired by setting/time and different from each other there is not a pattern/structure we can detect that is applied to all the quests(to make development easier that some studios over indulge cough..obsidian..cough), most quests have something unique about it, have unique little mechanics and ties to simulation system which must be hard to develop and debug hence the buggy state the game was in for too long, but ultimately its the game's one of greatest strengths, perhaps the best.

Last edited:

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
My suspicion is that adding technically ambitious quests when you have a lot of control over your engine - as Warhorse did - is a little easier than it was for Obsidian working on a "gamebryo serf" basis tasked with reheating the Fallout 3 assets to make a new game in 18 months. Haven't played the Outer Worlds yet so no idea what the bug level is in there.

Quillon

Arcane
My suspicion is that adding technically ambitious quests when you have a lot of control over your engine - as Warhorse did - is a little easier than it was for Obsidian working on a "gamebryo serf" basis tasked with reheating the Fallout 3 assets to make a new game in 18 months. Haven't played the Outer Worlds yet so no idea what the bug level is in there.

NV had complex quests and generally - different from each other - quests, recent games suffers from too much "assembly line" development. Warhorse chose Cry Engine just cos the wilderness looked good in first person; they certainly made much more - a lot more effort to make their game on top of an essentially FPS engine.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Warhorse chose Cry Engine just cos the wilderness looked good in first person
That wasn't the only reason:

We ended up with six different engines for evaluation and several middleware solutions for lighting, animations and AI. We were testing everything for two months (not long enough) and the final decision was not easy. I would have loved to work with the new younger developers like Unigine or Bitsquid, since one could easily see that they have a lot of talent and enthusiasm and what they provide looks great, but on the other hand we had to play it safe. Our game is going to be huge and we need proven and advanced tools from day one. I also liked the combo of Unreal + Enlighten lighting middleware which looks totally awesome (Enlighten was used in Battlefield 3), but it has its shortcomings when you have a game with realtime time of day changes and huge (huuuuge) environments.

In the end, we decided to go with CryEngine 3, because it has a little bit of everything we need. It has great tools for building large worlds, very impressive real-time lighting, great looking foliage, supports all the platforms we’re interested in, plus our lead artist worked at Crytek before leaving to come work with us, which is also a great advantage. For a game of our size and scope, CryEngine was (hopefully) the best choice. If we were developing a different game or had a different budget, our choice might have been different because all of the tech we tested had their strong points.

Unreal 4 did not exist, Unreal 3 was unsuitable for open world streaming and other engines were by small unproven companies (I still don't know of any games running on Unigine or Bitsquid). Cryengine was really the only choice available back then, other than building their own engine.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Regardless of the reason, wilderness does look good in Cryengine. KCD probably has the most beautiful/realistic vegetation I've seen in a game so far and Archeage(a 2013 MMORPG) has the best water.

I guess this is the engine to go if someone wants to make a good looking wilderness survival, hunting or sailing/pirate game.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bitsquid is dead now but was used for both of the Warhammer: Vermintide games.

Unigine seems to be mostly used for aerospace and military purposes.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Watching Sawyer play is...yeah. Why are these devs so incompetent at playing or even setting up games, dammit. Plus I hoped for some interesting design insights, or historical insights, but there is very little of that. Of course that's my problem with misplaced expectations.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Watching Sawyer play is...yeah. Why are these devs so incompetent at playing or even setting up games, dammit. Plus I hoped for some interesting design insights, or historical insights, but there is very little of that. Of course that's my problem with misplaced expectations.

It's kinda entertaining in its own way.

I had fun watching him get frustrated and jumping off the bridge and breaking his legs only to get arrested by a guard on his way out of Talmberg after spending half the stream time trying to find Lady Stephanie(he went to her room but didn't see her sitting at the bench behind the door) and not figuring out how to sell his stuff to buy a lockpick.

In this last stream he went mindfuck after being teleported from the quarry to Rovna(I guess he won't like AoD) and looted every single corpse around the church.

Last edited:

Rafidur

Learned
My main complaint with the combat system is the targeting which imo is really bad.
Yeah, it would have been a lot better if there would have been an option in the settings to permanently turn off auto-locking in combat.

I beat the intro cumans by de-locking and slashing their feet because they can't block that. Don't know if this was fixed...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom