Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can no longer equip a two hander on the mantis +anything without Oversized two weapon fighting. You equip 1 two hander and that's it.

Bastard swords are a likely exception, just as they were in KOTC 1.

Bastard swords are two handers, no difference. You put a bastard sword in your mantis main hand and you can't put any other weapon, not even a dagger. Once you get oversized TWF you can equip 4 bastard swords, no problem.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did the bug with the fancy trident get fixed, so it doesn't go back to a regular trident?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can create a party and start the game with everyone showing up and skill checks working properly now. Didn't have any crashes and was able to cast spells outside of combat, etc.

Clearly all the tears and accusations of fraud, etc. last week were justified.

Noddy

Augur
Alright, worth pointing i got through allot of this game by just autisticly smashing my head against it, but if you want my thoughts, here's a long ass post arranged poorly:

Party was:

Drake Fighter
Carried the mid-game.
Wade in is fucking nuts. Found it to be several times better than the pounce belt due to always going off and allowing yourself to postion to continue hitting with all your attacks.
Never ran out of feats to take. Plus saving throw feats are honestly excellent.
Drake breath weapon was pointless. Yeah you can get off with a move action but nothing survives a turn next to you anyway so you need your move action for, well, moving. Better than nothing i guess.

Half-Giant Samurai
A bit shit but this is entirely my fault. Crafted him a vorpal sword (which is shit) right out the crypt and refused to part with it.
Ocassionaly went nuts with crits and just won encounters. Not very often though.
Had him with the improve size belt and tripped everything, but good god i wish i'd given him a reach weapon.

Human Death Knight
Mid tier useful.
Barely ever used life drain. Aura of dread is great. Sneak attack is great. Smite is good but gone very fast, good for a quick gib tho.
Had him with a ring of invisibility and greater feint which seemed redundant.
Solid.

Halfling M Cleric Celerity/Aberation
Carried the early game.
Celerity was useful all game long. Free action is just great. Aberation fell of and barely used it at the end, but it was super strong at the start.
Stood around during easy fights, spammed liek crazy during the hard ones.
Unforuntely perma dead at the end game due to having fraility on her when she got breathed on. You will be missed Chaste Charlie.

Human F Red Wizard
Carried the late-game.
Took 12 dex on her and regretted it all game long. Didn't take spell range and really regretted it when you start using your move action for a second spell.
Allot of fights in this game are a puzzle and the key is usually in the arcane list.
Fire feat does literally nothing.

Elf M Psionist
Good all game. Think everyone agrees about the psion. Didn't find him as useful as the wizard come end game i have to say, but still a solid second in people in i want to show up in the init list.

Companions were the pally and the sorc.

Party comp opinions:

I think what i'll do when i run again (if i take the companions) is drop the front liners down to two and bring an extra wizard.
Here's my logic: There were three encounters in the game i found genuinely frustratingly hard:

Chap 3 start
Death snare last room
End boss

And another 4 or 5 that involved allot reloading:

Spider Queen
Keep Gate
Keep Courtyard first fight
The fucking caterpillars lmao
Probably forgetting something

In every single one of these i'm just praying my wizard wins init. Occasionally my psionist.
Twice the wizards, twice the init winning, half the reloading. Yeah everything late has SR but everything's got dr/retaliation/mirror image too.
Only really question is: is two fighters enough for when you need to save spells? Can't speak for the early game, but for the upper sewers i'm certain you only need two dudes to scythe through it.
For colours, the only school i wasn't really using was necromancy. All others seem strong.
Int, dex, con for stats.

There's a fairly legit argument for running a sorc instead of the second wiz. If the companion didn't exist or i wasn't taking him, i probably would.
Sometimes a res or cleric buff is just strictly better than wiz spell and having allot of people with divine access lets you pull ressurection or unconcious heal daisy chains off.
Really felt the lack of high lvl spells on erzi tho. Also felt the lack of feats. Tough call tbh.
Think the only way to run a sorc is to dump wis and use the non saving throw spell cleric spells.

Between the Cleric and the Bishop i think the Cleric is just strictly better.
I suppose it depends on how much you value the divine spell list, but ithink it's aburdly strong. Yes the late game shit with true res, mass heal, the SR spell that eclipses all items, auto break ench, the +8 to saves etc. But i also like it in the mid game. Smite, banish, mass align weapon, mass elemental resist, prayer. Cleric gets them sooner and gets more of them. There is no domain combo i can see that that makes me want shittier spells.
For the cleric, i'd probably build it as a pure caster. Wis, dex, con in that order. Take the daily domains and fuck charisma off. Also think if your ever trying to hit someone with your cleric, the fights probably easy enough you don't that attack to connect.

I think you could replace the Cleric with a Sorc or Psy-healer. Make the early game allot harder and i don't think you'd gain a huge amount from it.
I can think of few things i like casting with high DC on the divine list, but nothing really neccesary. Doable.

Druid spell list seems shitty in comparison but who knows, haven't played with it.

Psion is great. Highly recommend. Could drop it for a another wizard tho honestly.

2/3rd casters seem entirely useless. This isn't pathfinder where they get abilites to make up for it.
When i'm using an action to attack i want it to be the best attack available. Likewise for spells. Don't see the point tbh.

For front liners, save yourself the pain i went through and take a reach weapon. There's a ton of aoo trip come late game.
I'd also hoard weapons to get through DR. You get allot of shit like DR Adamantium AND Good as you progress.

For classes, i still think the fighter is easily the best. Have i said i rate wade in? Tempted to run a monk cos they get it too.
Haven't actually played with a mantis gladitor though. They seem pretty fucking good too. Who knows?
Pretty sure i did see shake it off work once. Might be my imagination though.

Paladin divine spells are surpisingly useful. Not the actual list but the ability to cast scrolls.
Strictly inferior to the other classes in terms of fighting ability tho. Surprsing amount of non-evil creatures in the game who can't be smited by a pally.
Might take in a party that really needed a second divine caster. Otherwise pass.

Death knight would be great if he got some more feats. Strong candiate for the pounce belt, even if you can't smite off the charge.
Can feel the difference aura makes when it's on something.
Improved whirlwind with the ring of invisibity and a reach weapon seems like it could be strong.

Samurai might be OK, but there's only one pounce belt in the game, so it'd have to be stronger than a Mantis gladiator or a death knight and i don't think it is.
+5% chance to crit, +dam +to hit of sword style, +dam for two handers. None of it is going to catch a dual wielder for damage. So your going reach tripper with a sam and then you're burning feats to get the prof and sword style for it.
Mediocre.

This post has gotten stupidly long so i'm gonna cut it here. Turns out pumping 50+ hours into a game gives you allot of opinions on it.
Could type for days tbh. Game sucked me in whole.

Koschey

Arcane
Unintended side-effect of Mantis blender: many High Sewer fights end before reinforcements spawn in, costing you XP.

:negative:

Never fear, Pierre heard us loud and clear:

KotC2 Pach Notes 1.0.2 said:
Changes to game balance
  • It will no longer be possible to lose out on precious experience points by completing fights too early. Reinforcements will no longer spawn in delayed or by trigger. Instead in each battle all participants will appear on the map from the very start of the encounter.
  • "Improved Initiative" exploit fixed. In certain cases it was possible for players to accidentally skip parts of fights by winning initiative if their characters had high DEX as well as the feat "Improved Initiative". To avoid this, the feat was removed from the game and DEX modifier no longer provides an initiative bonus.
  • Reception of prerolled HP on level up was poor. I took the criticism to heart and implemented a rule for fixed HP increases on level up. Going forward, all classes will always receive the lowest roll possible on each level.

curds

Magister
Unintended side-effect of Mantis blender: many High Sewer fights end before reinforcements spawn in, costing you XP.

:negative:

Never fear, Pierre heard us loud and clear:

KotC2 Pach Notes 1.0.2 said:
Changes to game balance
  • It will no longer be possible to lose out on precious experience points by completing fights too early. Reinforcements will no longer spawn in delayed or by trigger. Instead in each battle all participants will appear on the map from the very start of the encounter.
  • "Improved Initiative" exploit fixed. In certain cases it was possible for players to accidentally skip parts of fights by winning initiative if their characters had high DEX as well as the feat "Improved Initiative". To avoid this, the feat was removed from the game and DEX modifier no longer provides an initiative bonus.
  • Reception of prerolled HP on level up was poor. I took the criticism to heart and implemented a rule for fixed HP increases on level up. Going forward, all classes will always receive the lowest roll possible on each level.

Lol.
I actually can't be sure if this is trolling or not.

Aegidius

Educated
Alright, worth pointing i got through allot of this game by just autisticly smashing my head against it, but if you want my thoughts, here's a long ass post arranged poorly:

This post has gotten stupidly long so i'm gonna cut it here. Turns out pumping 50+ hours into a game gives you allot of opinions on it.
Could type for days tbh. Game sucked me in whole.

Congrats! Was it 50+ hours for one play through to get to the end or is that the total of multiple different play throughs? Pierre estimated 40ish hours of gameplay for AoC, so just trying to see if that is a reasonable estimate for one playthrough.

Noddy

Augur
Congrats! Was it 50+ hours for one play through to get to the end or is that the total of multiple different play throughs? Pierre estimated 40ish hours of gameplay for AoC, so just trying to see if that is a reasonable estimate for one playthrough.
Just checked my save and it's at 70. :negative:

The game is 8 hours long, and there's 42 hours of reloading fights.
The game has four maps lmao
Where the fuck did my week go

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Feels weird going through it again now, I had to reload the cultist fight a few times but man it feels so tame compared to the horrible shit that comes later.

Aegidius

Educated
Just checked my save and it's at 70. :negative:

The game is 8 hours long, and there's 42 hours of reloading fights.
The game has four maps lmao
Where the fuck did my week go

thanks!

cruelio

Savant
This pool fight is really stupid. It'd be a hard fight without the druid, or with the druid but without one of either the frogs or the trident guys. With all them and the penalty for fighting underwater it's ridiculous.

P.S. spare me a troll attempt telling me to get good, I remain, to this day, a top 15 competitive esports Knights of the Chalice 1 player.

JCYYOnU.jpg

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Defeated the green goblins alone on first try, discovered the birdman disappears after and that you can cross the chasm yourself back and forth and each time you do it you get 30 xp... I'll report it.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
You can no longer equip a two hander on the mantis +anything without Oversized two weapon fighting. You equip 1 two hander and that's it.

Bastard swords are a likely exception, just as they were in KOTC 1.

Bastard swords are two handers, no difference. You put a bastard sword in your mantis main hand and you can't put any other weapon, not even a dagger. Once you get oversized TWF you can equip 4 bastard swords, no problem.

I thought half-giants can wield bastards with 1 hand?

cruelio

Savant
Welp, can confirm the trident loses its bonuses when you reload. Also pretty cute putting a new fight down there Pierre when I went back up to grab a small size character.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Anyone playing around with the editor? The menus are a bit of a mess, but overall it's VERY easy to use. Took me a bit over one hour to turn this map of Cragmaw Castle (from Lost Mine of Phandelver) into a playable level:

Ecsbtb4UwAEYVn0.jpg

Ecsbui4U0AAJcTt.png
EcsbvVxUwAAvEQw.png

It's VERY annoying to perfectly line up the square grids, and it has some limitations like no diagonals, but overall it's very easy to just import a map, paint what's a wall, a door, obstacle, stairs, etc and then populate with enemies.

Of course, the hard part is scripting special encounters, dialogs and interactions, but not even NWN 1's editor was so quick to use to create a simple combat gauntlet. KOTC2 doesn't have hobgoblins (SHAME ON YOU, PIERRE!), but took me like 2 minutes to just copy the 3.5 stats into a new creature template and make a hobgoblin.

Tigranes

Arcane
OK v1.1 seems not too bad so far in terms of bugs

BCTd6cS.png

Had to reload 80 times to even start this battle because acid splash at surprise round = entire party die in one hit

Also I suspect I missed a ton of stuff / XP? Because I went in the left room before I went in the right after the brazier surprise

Edit: Oh wow OK, yeah, backing out and checking out that right room

Last edited:

cruelio

Savant
Does anyone believe for a second Pierre played this game? Check out this encounter:

-Party is level 2/3 (COULD LEVEL ALL TO FOUR BUT THAT REQUIRES GOLD! LOL!)
-Your party has literally no equipment other than some rocks and a dagger.
-Level 10 minotaur mage that gets a surprise round to web the party and comes PREBUFFED with mirror image and blur.
-His normal attacks do 20+ damage a pop and he can either trip as a free action or he has so many attacks he can toss out trips and still have attacks to lay into whoever just fell! Have fun with that while your casters fail their concentration rolls to cast spells at him and your warriors have less than a 20% chance to hit!

I actually like, don't know that Pierre has even played D&D to think this is a remotely fair encounter.

Anyway I decided not to do it and moved on. Pro tip. You can bully the rat people into giving you magic items and then sell the items back to them to have enough cash to level up, and they'll let you rest to boot.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Those are the easy encounters, cruelio.
Yes, even the no weapons surprise minotaur and the pool druids. In those fights you still get to act.

Later in the game you just die if you don't get initiative because you'll eat 200+ elemental damage or everyone will be webbed, asleep and confused inside a stinking cloud. Before you get a turn.

By the way, not killing the minotaur can bite you if you have no way to penetrate DR. There's a certain fight coming where having a magical weapon is very useful, and he drops a greataxe +1. Alternatively summons or spells might get you past.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom