Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
because you either have three full kitted armies for every region you own AND are willing to savescum or you're going to lose some cities once you start a ritual on the later stages. it'd have been a whole lot better if the chaos and skaven armies you summon were stronger and even more numerous, but went only for the three cities doing the ritual.

Chaos stacks spawning inside your territory close to your only empty city (because far from the rituals and the borders that your armies are guarding) ruined vortex for me. Just retarded and not fun.

Yeah I hate that. Its why I don't play Vortex anymore.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
Been playing this game occasionally since school went online in March. Good concepts overall, ruined by CA's aversion to fun.

1. AI dwarf and Empire always blob and become too big to fail. Chaos invasion will never amount to anything. At all. Even with a mod that multiplies the amount of hordes spawned by 3. They always get crushed by Franz's northern doomstacks.
2. Towns take forever to improve (and the whole process of starting from scratch makes no sense lorewise, obviously).
3. Having actual borders is a pipe dream. Catching the AI while they yeet their armies deep into your undefended territories is essentially impossible. Especially since they tend to have 2 times the amount of stacks to throw at you from all the bonuses to upkeep, income and recruitment they get.
4. Every time you capture a settlement, it loses a whole level. Combined with the two aforementioned elements, this can lead to a very degenerate type of save scumming, as losing a single settlement, even if you recapture it the very next turn, sets it back up to 100 turns worth of investments and growth.
5. Why are battles so fast. That speed should be anathema to any Warhammer fan, since the actual wargame is all about carefully thought out maneuvers and long moments of reflection.
6. Most faction specific mechanisms are underwhelming. Simplistic and feel like 10 lines script implemented by a modder for free in the workshop.
7. Sieges battle maps look absolutely gorgeous, then you find out that you're gonna fight in the most boring looking corner while ignoring all the nigh impregnable structures right next to the battle area. Like they have to rubb it all over our faces on top of that.
8. Turn times get progressively worse as the map devolves into gigantic continental blobs warring, discouraging me before the late game actually begins.
9. Some characters that should be god like entities of immeasurable power are basically lords with a few extra bonuses. They just couldn't think of another way to balance them (despite the lore providing plenty of ideas to do so).
10. Some factions are clearly favored, and in some cases we can all deduce why.
11. The AI breaks more often than not. Hence the major cheats granted to them at higher difficulties (who don't seem to actually make the AI smarter)
12. Game often feel more tedious than challenging, as you manually crush the same stacks over and over. Could have made battles slower but more decisive rather than speed them up to have the players fight one inconsequential skirmish after the other.
13. Takes forever to be able to recruit elites, and by the time you've built the right buildings in your older settlements, your legendary lords stacks are on the other side of the continent giving you only one highly impractical option to update their line ups. You're stuck with dull basic tier one and two units for a long while, but the AI unfortunately doesn't seem to be dealing with the same restrictions.
14. Diplomacy is an unworkable joke best left ignored
15. Cannot go tall. Blobbing is usually your only option
16. Quests, scripted events and story feel like they were tacked on an existing game, rather than those elements forming a cohesive whole.

That list is not exhaustive. I could go on for a while.

For a company that's supposedly been focusing on the same franchise for the past 20 years, the gameplay is surprisingly amateurish.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
Vortex can be a nice change of pace, but I found it over-relied on scripted events. The Vortex campaigns began to feel predictable

I found the scripted elements and objectives were completely irrelevant and easily ignored for much of the game. Every AI faction will just attempt to blob aimlessly, and the lackluster mechanisms encourage the player to do so as well.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Vortex can be a nice change of pace, but I found it over-relied on scripted events. The Vortex campaigns began to feel predictable

I found the scripted elements and objectives were completely irrelevant and easily ignored for much of the game. Every AI faction will just attempt to blob aimlessly, and the lackluster mechanisms encourage the player to do so as well.
Yep, you can perform the Rituals at your own pace and block the AI from victory. Vortex was meant to be a race to victory, but is just an illusion.

no, those are not the targeted cities, those are only the cities whose loss will make you fail the ritual, meanwhile chaos and skaven troops can spawn ANYWHERE. often right inside your territory, and will raze EVERYTHING they can.

Yeah, but in my experience the spawned AI will make their way to those points and you can set lords up accordingly. You can hold off on rituals until you have several lords with lightning strike and walled settlements. The problem (or annoyance) is when the AI factions start sending doomstacks in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
dude, you said everything and its opposite.
Am I misunderstanding? The chaos/skaven will spawn at certain points on the map and make way to the ritual sites. You can place lords with lightning strike at select points in preparation (based on the ritual sites). In my experience, the AI spawned either at sea or a mountain range. There was a pattern to the spawn locations.

no, they spawn anywhere and make way for whatever is closest, they don't give a fuck for the ritual cities, they're in just to damage you, and to prevent it
you either have three full kitted armies for every region you own AND are willing to savescum or you're going to lose some cities once you start a ritual on the later stages.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
no, they spawn anywhere and make way for whatever is closest, they don't give a fuck for the ritual cities, they're in just to damage you, and to prevent it
you either have three full kitted armies for every region you own AND are willing to savescum or you're going to lose some cities once you start a ritual on the later stages.
I will have to load a fresh vortex campaign then, because that does not sound familiar. The last vortex focused campaign I played was Hellebron about a year ago (not counting Malus or VC), and the AI b-lined to the same ritual sites using the same two routes.

My bad fellas, I failed to notice CA updated ritual spawns to be less....easy.

Last edited:
In my experience the chaos/skaven stacks spawn all together. Also major settlements with level 5 walls can absolutely destroy these stacks on their own when they assault. Just send a diversionary force or two through the gates to fight them directly beneath the absurdly powerful level 5 towers. Sure you will probably lose a minor settlement or two or three but minor settlements are really easy to get back on line. The way food costs escalate going from 0->1 and then 0->2 costs way, way less than just going 3->4.

Still fuck vortex though. Its not like you can fight those stacks early game when you both have low-level settlements and have to have all of your armies fighting actual real wars vs. other factions, so it basically ends up being a "you've won the game but now spend 50 turns waiting around to kill a few rebel stacks every 10-20 turns". The "you won" bonus isn't even all that big, assuming you wanted to race to "win" vortex early and then conquer your continent to make a more real "win".

Incidentally, if you play a faction that doesn't deal with the vortex (like tomb kiongs/pirates), can the AI still win their vortex campaign and get the whole "you are winner" buff to supercharge them into contesting you or taking over the rest of the world? Or can pirates/tomb kings win their campaign when they are AI? I remember the tomb king buff being pretty good.

Last edited:

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Noob question (high elves). I have problems with public order in some provinces even though I don't tax them, do I have to build entertainment buildings to get it under control? In other provinces where I only own one region I have the same problem even though I have entertainment buildings + no tax. How can I improve public order?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
First thing you should do is hover over your public order and see where you're getting negatives from. Is there corruption? Is someone raiding it? Is there an event going on that is giving you negative PO? Parking a Lord in one of the towns that belongs to the province will give you a boost in Public Order, with some Lord and Hero skills giving you a further boost, but in most cases this is not necessary and if you're dropping without taxes on there's probably a hostile element at work.

High elves have the worst PO problems due to weak building bonuses, which is one of the reasons I don't like them. Everyone else has a much easier time

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Da Nutz ‘N’ Boltz update has now been further updated with some high-priority tweaks and fixes. TheSE are as follows:
  • Fixed a bug in the Vortex Campaign final battle which caused all four enemy armies to appear together at the start, making it exceedingly tough. Their arrival is now correctly staggered

:what:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Fixed a bug in the Vortex Campaign final battle which caused all four enemy armies to appear together at the start, making it exceedingly tough.

that's how it should work

the final vortex battle is laughably easy

tabacila

Augur
Yeeey. They released a patch... for the beta branch...almost two months after the launch of the DLC.... Classic CA.

a 100+ turns mortal empires vampire cunts campaign gone to waste because midgets come out of the goddamn walls, and because i had two allied clans but the one i was at war with managed to confederate them both during the first turns of war. now i see why people ask for mods to disable confederating.

Aemar

Arcane
Obliterating the neighbouring midgets clans should always be the first priority when playing as VC.

but they were pretty much obliterated, like 7-8 cities divided among the three clans, but then they started to confederate and come out of the goddamn walls, so...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Confederating is shitty mechanism. They should create coalition against you, or similar stuff.

A simple military alliance should hit you hard the same, without absurdities of confederations.

(Also, why didn't you obliterated these two clans already? Or why you were at war with third? Or why didn't you obliterate dwarfs already?)

Confederation by AI is bullshit. From what I can tell it works like this:

- The game wants the "main" faction for each race to roughly keep parity with you in expasion.
- This means the stronger you get, the more the AIs will confederate
- This also means the weaker the main faction gets, the more likely they will be able to confederate someone to them (the opposite of how it works for the player, normally you need to be much stronger than the AIs you want to confederate).

I've seen several times that Alarielle goes to war with Tyrion, starts destroying Tyrion, then Tyrion confederates Alarielle a few turns before she's able to wipe him off the map. Which is very, very fucking bullshit when you were allied to Alarielle and also fighting Tyrion as your super huge ally just became a super huge enemy.

Use this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1184881032

Aside from that, TL;DR be very wary about being at war with Tyrion/Thorgrim/Grimgore. Louie/Karl are a lot less risky since they have hard restrictions on confederation and of the other races only Dark Elves seem to sometimes have the same confederation issue.

Last edited:
Confederating is shitty mechanism. They should create coalition against you, or similar stuff.

A simple military alliance should hit you hard the same, without absurdities of confederations.

(Also, why didn't you obliterated these two clans already? Or why you were at war with third? Or why didn't you obliterate dwarfs already?)
sfo vampire cunts are hella hard, their basic troops can't do shit, you can have dirt cheap to maintain zombies but they'll do literally nothing, not even fully upgraded and under zombie-specific leader, they'll not do damage and will melt like butter in a blast furnace. three full armies of zombies can't take on an average empire army, let alone dwarven.
i don't remember if vanilla was the same, but raiding gives full immunity to vampire attrition, so the only thing it does is damaging your allies who travel through your lands. on the other hand, your corruption will just barely spread to bordering lands even with massed maxed buildings production.

i wish i could use vampires on vortex map, which i find much more interesting and fun, less bloated with endless wastelands of nothingness and just more packed with nuances, but even with mixu's unlocker and all its additional lords the two factions present on map are just two minors with no abilities and no victory conditions =_=

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom