Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
the game is more Twin Peaks than it is not, differing to the extent it contorts (and to an extent, misinterprets and plays loose with) the source material to lead up to a big nipponese boss battle

Be that as it may, that doesn't mean the game's writer ever saw Twin Peaks.

I'm a big fan of Twin Peaks and I like this game as well, but the writer of the game clearly didn't see the series. There's no understanding in the Twin Peaks references.

Someone did see Twin Peaks, for sure, and told the creator of Deadly Premonition about it and what we got was this. That's my best guess.

Like Twin Peaks through the game of telephone, sandwiched in between the usual nipponese crazy.

Stokowski

Arcane
Since D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die stalled and he left the company making it, I thought Suehiro was busy trying to raise the money for his weird new title The Good Life. Or is revisiting Deadly Premonition how he's going about raising that money?

EDIT: It looks like The Good Life is funded and has an actual release date (eat your hearts out Star Citizens).

Luka-boy

Arcane
Just watched the latest trailers. Somehow, they managed to mantain the original's standards of weirdness, crappy visuals and jank.

And I couldn't be happier.
:thumbsup:

Ialda

Learned
Prequel.

Which means best girl is still alive during DP2's timeframe :love:

GewuerzKahn

Savant
Man, my eyes hurt from the bad frame rate.
It's much worse than the PS3 port of the first game.

Repressed Homosexual
Well that settles it then, Eurogamer has ruled why Deadly Premonition 2 is not a good game:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-10-deadly-premonition-2-review

It doesn't help either that the characters the game does invest in only serve to highlight its well-meaning, but ultimately rather problematic world view. For all York's spirited rejection of bigotry, Deadly Premonition 2's reliance on outdated tropes around transgenderism and learning disabilities can give the otherwise cheerfully freewheeling adventure a rather bitter undercurrent.

GewuerzKahn

Savant
I thought stupid reviewers would like the the game. Zach smokes weed, thick black booty in the intro, strong female characters, diversity, etc etc.

Playing the game with the bad frame rate, some soft locks and long loading times is really annoying. I wait for a patch or supergreatfriends playthrough.

Duraframe300

Arcane
the game is more Twin Peaks than it is not, differing to the extent it contorts (and to an extent, misinterprets and plays loose with) the source material to lead up to a big nipponese boss battle

Be that as it may, that doesn't mean the game's writer ever saw Twin Peaks.

I'm a big fan of Twin Peaks and I like this game as well, but the writer of the game clearly didn't see the series. There's no understanding in the Twin Peaks references.

Someone did see Twin Peaks, for sure, and told the creator of Deadly Premonition about it and what we got was this. That's my best guess.

Like Twin Peaks through the game of telephone, sandwiched in between the usual nipponese crazy.

Your personal interpretation aside SWERY has most definitly seen Twin Peaks. But, you're not the first one to have that opinion to the point where SWERY made a reccuring joke about it. He's a huge David Lynch fan in general, btw.

It's also not a suprise for a japanese guy to have seen Twin Peaks, shit was arguably bigger over there than in the US. Deadly Preminition is not even the first Twin Peaks inspired japanese game.

Terenty

Liturgist
Fuck, apparently there's a trans character in the game and York says something like "i cant believe people still think like that in this day and age" addressing some naysayers i guess.

Did Japan contract western mental illness already?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fuck, apparently there's a trans character in the game and York says something like "i cant believe people still think like that in this day and age" addressing some naysayers i guess.

Newhalfs and newhalf-acceptance are nothing new in Japan, been like that for decades.

Repressed Homosexual

SWERY also made a game in 2018 about a LGBT character, this is nothing new.

At least he doesn't constantly shove his bias in people's faces, unlike Western liberals.

CyberModuled

Arbiter

Hey, if it's any consolation the moment he finishes the "Trans rights are human right" spiel, he immediately deadnames that person for the rest of the Chapter to my knowledge so either SWERY is on some 4D chess or he has no fucking idea what he's doing. Regardless, it ends up turning around to being funny.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wouldn't worry since the game has been slammed as transphobic and racist virtually in every 'gaming outlet.'

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Your personal interpretation aside SWERY has most definitly seen Twin Peaks.

Your opinionated drivel aside, he has now, no doubt and probably after the game was released. Not before the game was finished.

And clearly not before he wrote the plot of the game, which has nothing to do with Twin Peaks. At. All.

Anything that is clearly "Twin Peaks" is either in artwork, easter-eggs or coincidental.

Fuck I hate Lynch fans. Pretentious scum of the earth.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Your personal interpretation aside SWERY has most definitly seen Twin Peaks.

Your opinionated drivel aside, he has now, no doubt and probably after the game was released. Not before the game was finished.

And clearly not before he wrote the plot of the game, which has nothing to do with Twin Peaks. At. All.

Anything that is clearly "Twin Peaks" is either in artwork, easter-eggs or coincidental.

Fuck I hate Lynch fans. Pretentious scum of the earth.

:lol:

Now if there ever was a butthurt comment......

The things I said are far from opinionated. SWERY mocking the whole Twin Peaks question has been a well documented internet affair.
Neither was I opinionated that its not uncommon at all for a nerdy japanese guy to have seen Twin Peaks.
We're talking about a country that produced this with original actors after the fact:

Nor was I wrong when I said Deadly Premonition isn't even the first Twin Peaks inspired japanese game.

Mizzurna_Falls_cover_art.jpg

Also why in the world would DP need to copy Twin Peaks plot to be *inspired* by it. Twin Peaks inspiration even outside of DP ranges from near copies to *Weird guy goes into rural town where people have weird personalities connected to weird supernatural elements*. On a very basic scale thats it and Deadly Premonition certainly fulfills that.

P.S: I'm not a David Lynch fan and I think Twin Peaks is very enjoyable entertainment but hugely overrated. +M

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Now if there ever was a butthurt comment......

Sure why not, the n-th comment based on nothing that the guy must be lying because reasons.

The man said he's a Twin Peaks fan, according to you, and I have no reason to doubt that. The man also said he didn't see Twin Peaks before making the game. Also, no reason to doubt that.

So you choose to believe his word sometimes, but not when it doesn't suit your desires. How about this: take him at is word.

The things I said are far from opinionated.

Extremely opinionated, actually, since you base everything on your opinion of what some dev saw or did not see before making the game. He said he hadn't seen Twin Peaks before making the game.

Nor was I wrong when I said Deadly Premonition isn't even the first Twin Peaks inspired japanese game.

Did I say you were? No, I didn't even mention your non-sequitur.

Also why in the world would DP need to copy Twin Peaks plot to be *inspired* by it.

I didn't say he hadn't heard of Twin Peaks and I didn't say he had to copy it. He was clearly inspired by it. The claim is that he had *seen* it before making the game, which he denies.

He read about or was told about Twin Peaks and went with that. According to himself.
P.S: I'm not a David Lynch fan and I think Twin Peaks is very enjoyable entertainment but hugely overrated. +M

The lady doth protest too much, methinks

Duraframe300

Arcane
Extremely opinionated, actually, since you base everything on your opinion of what some dev saw or did not see before making the game. He said he hadn't seen Twin Peaks before making the game.

So you are the same? Because what you're referring to he has only every said in a very sarcastic manner, where multiple interviewers even got the impression he was deliberatly not answering honestly. He's also listed David Lynch directly as a someone that inspired him in film, but sure he hasn't seen Twin Peaks, despite it being super popular in Japan and him studying film at the time.

He read about or was told about Twin Peaks and went with that. According to himself.

I would be very interested where you have this tidbit from though where he specifics having been told or/and read about Twin Peaks during development.
Might very much change my mind.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Because what you're referring to he has only every said in a very sarcastic manner

So your subjective (opinionated) interpretation of a man's consistent explanation is that it was simply "sarcastic". Case closed, mind-reading done, QED.

He's also listed David Lynch directly as a someone that inspired him in film, but sure he hasn't seen Twin Peaks, despite it being super popular in Japan and him studying film at the time.

That's presumptuous at best and a definite logical fallacy.

Twin Peaks was super popular in my country, yet many have not seen it.

Even film students.

That's how it goes, you can't watch everything. Being a film student isn't about watching everything.

I would be very interested where you have this tidbit from though where he specifics having been told or/and read about Twin Peaks during development.

You had me until your next line...

G8 b8 m8
cool_story_bro.png

You can always change your mind.

Duraframe300

Arcane

You had me until your next line...

G8 b8 m8
cool_story_bro.png

You can always change your mind.

:lol:

And you are trying to paint me as misinterpreting a person. Holy shit. Not bait, if I have something concrete and specific I always seriously consider it, so I'm going to end this discussion with your own words.

G8 b8 m8
cool_story_bro.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom