Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 4 Golden - out on Steam

cruel

Cipher
Half a million in less than 30 days since the release :| Pretty impressive for a game from 2012. 500K x $20 = 10 million USD, not including Steam cut.

Guessing Persona 3 will come next.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Probably a bit less than that because the regional prices (though I see the differences are not so big in this case). (Also note that when the revenue exceed $10M USD, Steam only takes 25% after that.)

Duraframe300

Arcane
Half a million in less than 30 days since the release :| Pretty impressive for a game from 2012. 500K x $20 = 10 million USD, not including Steam cut.

Guessing Persona 3 will come next.

I dunno. Theres no definitive version of P3 around and if they re-release it theres a whole lot QOL features they would have to implement so that people won't be complaining. Technically P3Portable would have a lot of those, but releasing the PSP version in favor of FES would result in tons of complaints about devs being lazy or getting the inferior version.

Not that P3 doesn't need a remaster, but it would be work so I doubt they would *just* port it to Steam.

flyingjohn

Arcane
If they want free monies then the best bet is persona 5 royal.It is a cheap port and they don't have to add any new features.

Porting persona 3 requires too much work.
Porting smt is not financially viable since it has a low fanbase and even lower on pc.
Porting catherine full body edition will directly clash with the original release on steam.
Anything else is just not worth it.

CyberModuled

Savant
Fuck all these sub par RPGs, just gibe me my Amazon tiddie from Vanillaware already. Dragon's Crown would definitely sell off the basis of being co-op centric anyway.

Also being quite frank, SMT has gained enough internet clout (Nocturne especially) in recent years that even Persona only tards would probably buy it out of curiosity so long as its price range is right. Still gotta wonder how they'd handle stuff like SMT IV or Devil Survivor given how they're in even lower handheld quality than the Vita.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
If they want free monies then the best bet is persona 5 royal.It is a cheap port and they don't have to add any new features.

Porting smt is not financially viable since it has a low fanbase and even lower on pc.
Porting catherine full body edition will directly clash with the original release on steam.

If SMT:SJR actually makes it to PC, I will buy 20 copies of it and distribute it here on the Dex.

Momock

Augur
SMT III on PC, with difficulty modes like in P4G (give me hard but no half exp/money please), the same select-what-you-want-to-inherit system (instead of the bullshit dice rolls), and optional blobber exploration from the get go. It would be heavenly.

Just do it Atlus! NOW!

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
SMT III on PC, with difficulty modes like in P4G (give me hard but no half exp/money please), the same select-what-you-want-to-inherit system (instead of the bullshit dice rolls), and optional blobber exploration from the get go. It would be heavenly.

Just do it Atlus! NOW!

Nocture already has something like this, it's called Hardtype, and is brutally difficult.

Gearmos

Educated

I don't know if Person 3 is hard to port or not, but it was confirmed at the same time as Person 4 Golden. Although there are no details on whether it is P3 Portable, P3 FES or a new iteration.

hhh.png

There are no rumors about Persona 5 port, but seeing how well P4G has performed is only a matter of time.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I don't know if Person 3 is hard to port or not, but it was confirmed at the same time as Person 4 Golden. Although there are no details on whether it is P3 Portable, P3 FES or a new iteration.

It has to be a new one (hopefully). As mentioned with FES you still have the big downside of non-controllable party members and lack of QOL features and with Portable you have zero cutscenes (And the static images don't really look that great IMO)

Technically Portable is the best version (The Answer isn't exactly a big miss), but it is so for people that have already played P3 before. For everyone else it would only lead to complaints, especially when they drunkenly look up P3 on Youtube.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The digital Tokyo Gameshow is in September, so maybe they at least show some SMTV soon and it could be the chance to announce a Person3 remaster coming to PS5 in 21 for the 15th anniversary + later to PC. With Persona 5 we probably have to wait at least a year because of Sony.
But let's be real we get a straight port of Person 3 Fes + 15 sec SMT V teaser and 3 new Persona spin offs :negative:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think the only difference between FES and P3P (besides the lack of the Answer) are:

1. MC weapon of choice is limited to sword/katana.
2. Controllable party members.
3. Some new spells that exist in P4. Dizzy debuff from P4.
4. Part-time job that increase stats (ala P4).
5. Skill Card system.
6. No-fusion spells. Instead they came in form of Skill Cards.
7. The only "new content" in P3P I think is Catherine references on the club or something?

If ATLUS are going to port P3, I think they can go with FES++. The only critical feature is Controllable Party Members. The new spells and part time job are nice QoL addition but they are not a deal breaker. Skill Cards too are nice QoL but isn't really a deal breaker as well(as Fusion inheritence iirc is still random).

cosmicray

Savant
You can play as female and hang out with Shinjiro. Also, I'm not sure, but on P3P you have more shit to do in dungeons, but maybe I'm confusing it with FES since all is blurred in my memory.
I don't know why, but I never tried The Answer. No dating somehow was a deal breaker. So having FES on Steam would be a better deal for me than Portable. And never was a fan of P3P's portable menu-based "exploration".

Arthandas

Liturgist
Anyone thinking they'll remaster P3 for PC is delusional. It will be a straight port of the psp version with the same additions as P4G (graphic settings and dual audio).

Duraframe300

Arcane
Anyone thinking they'll remaster P3 for PC is delusional. It will be a straight port of the psp version with the same additions as P4G (graphic settings and dual audio).

It can't be a straight port of the PSP version if they have any business sense. Nu-Persona fans, original P3 nostalgics and interested people in general aren't just going to lap up the non-existence of actual in-game events and most cutscenes. It would be critiized on the level that mobile ports are.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Hey, maybe they'll do translations of Giten Megami and the first Persona, since those had releases on Windows back in the day. You never know... :negative:
It can't be a straight port of the PSP version if they have any business sense. Nu-Persona fans, original P3 nostalgics and interested people in general aren't just going to lap up the non-existence of actual in-game events and most cutscenes. It would be critiized on the level that mobile ports are.
Considering the nature of Japanese PC ports, it could be anything. Sure, adding party support to FES would basically fix their problems, but how well would that improve sales compared to a straight P3P port. How many people bought the mobile-to-PC ports of Final Fantasy games? I feel like that's a good comparison to the sort of audience a straight port of P3P would get.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik

hhh.png

There are no rumors about Persona 5 port, but seeing how well P4G has performed is only a matter of time.

Ewwww Portable is way inferior to FES which is already inferior to 4. This won't have a positive reception on PC. The only good thing about Portable is that you can roleplay as a shotacon.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I never really understood the appeal of Persona 3. Uncontrollable party members is the single stupidest idea in a turn-based RPG where using a wrong element costs you turns. It isn't much better in the PSP version either since it's basically Nocturne combat with worse enemy design, randomized dungeons and less party customization.

Cromwell

Arcane
I never really understood the appeal of Persona 3.

everything about this game is shit but its a very deep story if youre a mentally challenged weeb so its best game. The dungeon is boring, the story is gated in a way thats worse than in the personas that came after, its paced shitty and not being able to control your group is utter shit. All other personas are better than 3.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I never really understood the appeal of Persona 3. Uncontrollable party members is the single stupidest idea in a turn-based RPG where using a wrong element costs you turns. It isn't much better in the PSP version either since it's basically Nocturne combat with worse enemy design, randomized dungeons and less party customization.

Because the new Persona games are heavily more on the narrative side rather than 90% dungeon crawler like mainline SMT, and so far P3 is the stronger one narrative-wise. Casts/characters wise, P3 did it better. The overall pacing is also better. Well lat least against P4, but P5 is supposed to be on par or worse than 4 so there's that.

I would rank P2 as a package higher than 3 for writing and narrative. As an overall game, not so much. Persona 2 was a fucking grind hell that's not enjoyable to be played more than once.

And actually Persona doesn't cut your turn when you attack enemies' resistance, unlike mainline SMT where doing so will lose you a "press".

And as much as I agree that uncontrollable party member is shit, the AI will actually not attack enemies' resistance/absorb/repel after they are known (either from trial and error or from Fuuka's analysis). E.g. if you have analyzed an enemy that repels Ice, Mitsuru won't usu Bufu on them or use Mabufu when they are in enemy comp.

And as a storyfag I enjoy P3 more than Noctrune grind hell. Noctrune is OK to play once or twice, but not much after. The amount of combat gets old real fast.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Hard disagree. P3 didn't have a bad story but 4 and 5 both beat it on that front and 4 has the best party members. Yosuke is the best bro in Persona by a lot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom