Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline New Samurai Showdown

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
game is amazing. best fighting game of this generation.

aweigh quit playing SFV garbage and hop on the train
they're so slow, sluggish, they don't convey any sense of power.
dunno, they seem chunky to me. certainly feel chunky in game.

On one hand, I envy you since I'll have to wait for the PC release. OTOH, I'm glad you're confirming my impressions from what I've seen in YouTube, so I'm taking the higher road and fisting your post. Now, onto the relevant questions:

- Out of all the previous titles, which one would you say is the closest, from a timing and combat flow perspective? In other words: assuming a guy is using emulators in order to "git gud", which entry of the series would you say he should focus on?

- How hard is it to get an online match with good ping?

Adon

Arcane
Will it have PC/Sony crossplay like SF5? Pretty sad that SF5 is still the only real option on the PC if you want to play online (at least for people like me who are awful).

Tekken 7 has twice the player base and MK11 has even more. Heck, even DBFZ probably has more people than SFV at this point.

Nah, I'd say DBFZ has about the same if not less since the competitive scene got basically killed by TOIE being weird about the game being in tournaments. SFV just has a fanbase that follows it because it has the biggest prize money in the e-sports scene. They refuse to let it die despite the fact that so many people have jumped off the game.

Anyway, the game is great tho and I like way more than I ever did SFV.

Latro

Arcane
game is amazing. best fighting game of this generation.

aweigh quit playing SFV garbage and hop on the train
they're so slow, sluggish, they don't convey any sense of power.
dunno, they seem chunky to me. certainly feel chunky in game.

On one hand, I envy you since I'll have to wait for the PC release. OTOH, I'm glad you're confirming my impressions from what I've seen in YouTube, so I'm taking the higher road and fisting your post. Now, onto the relevant questions:

- Out of all the previous titles, which one would you say is the closest, from a timing and combat flow perspective? In other words: assuming a guy is using emulators in order to "git gud", which entry of the series would you say he should focus on?

- How hard is it to get an online match with good ping?
play SS V Special. it got a netcode rollback update that gives a great online system, it's on both steam and gog. alternatively, it's free on fightcade with worse netcode. it's a great game and many things carry over to SS7 - including all the movesets and some mechanics.

SS7 netcode is pretty good, very little hiccups for a delay netcode. i see legions of people whining about it though, i find it strange. this is way more solid than KOF14.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
The Steam version of V Special is absolutely great and I hope whoever did that port is getting some real money. However, I wanted to catch up on missed games, so I went ahead and played VI and V as well. I-IV were games I managed to play "back in the day", but I still revisited IV because it's the best game in the series. Well, in terms of mechanics V Special is better, but IV is the game that defined the series IMO. Here is how I feel the games stack up:

IV > II > I > V Special > III > V > VI > Warrior's Rage (PS1)

Some people will always argue that the first game in every series is better simply by virtue of the fact that it's the game that started it all, but I like to evaluate things based on how a particular "formula" was improved overtime and at what moment did things start to go to shit. IMO

The Rise: I and II, with II being a straight up improvement on the original.

Pinnacle: III and IV, with III being a step down from II. HOWEVER, I would call III a "prototype" of sorts, since it brought the "definitive" art style that was refined by IV. SamSho IV, however, is undeniably the game I would point and say "this is SamSho at its finest". It is also the game that introduced Rage Explosion and Flash/Issen, both unique and cool mechanics that set the game apart from other titles. And YEAH, Slash/Bust and the CD combo were dropped, but no SamSho game has the exact same mechanics as its predecessor, so...

CASH GRAB: V is a bad game with incredibly cheap bosses made out of cloned sprites (except Gaoh, obv). V Special is what the game should've been like at release and garbage like Sankuro and Yumeji should have never seen the light of day. V also introduced a LOT of garbage playable characters into the roster (Kusaregedo, fml) and it's quite telling that none of them came back in 2019. Inb4 "but yoshi-" I don't consider him a garbage character, tho I don't see him as "good" either. SamSho VI has only two good things going for it: the character selection screen and Andrew. Other than that, it's a total turd, with THE cheapest and laziest boss ever made.

IDENTITY CRISIS: all the 3d games. And DAMN that abomination I saw on YT for the X360! Bad Soul Calibur clone? Ffs! It's a good thing I lost track of the series after SamSho IV, so this level of franchise rape didn't really affect me. This shit makes Warrior's Rage look like a decent game. You know a game series is dead once it starts throwing away its identity in order to ape a NEWER game. No wonder it took SNK more than a decade to release another game after that shit!

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
MOAR good news for SamSho/SNK:

1 - PS4 version of SamSho SOLD OUT in Japan. SNK issued a public statement apologizing and promising to deliver more copies. Meanwhile, Japanese PS4 owners are going around looking for stores that may still have a physical copy of the game.

2 - EVO registrations for SamSho outnumber MK11 and are poised to (maybe) outnumber SFV as well.

3 - SamSho 2019 is the most entered SNK game of all time at EVO. Lol, suck it KOF! :positive:

1 -

2 -

3 -

Jason Liang

Arcane
Watched the EVO final 8 rounds. Game looks great, looks next-gen better than KoF 14. Infiltration went through several former KoF champions to take it coming from loser's bracket. Even Galford seems less annoying in this incarnation.

tried it.
i'll stick to samurai shodown 2 if i want something quick and entertaining or samurai shodown 4 for something with lethal combat and a great atmosphere.

this feels just too streetfightery, which thinking of it is the worst insult i could throw at it.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I just got the PC version today. I had already been playing on PS4 for a while and eagerly anticipating the final DLC character for this season only for it to be some retarded character from fucking For Honor of all things. I'm super butthurt that it wasn't Cham-Cham or Sieger

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
It is on Steam today. Any idea if it is worth touching? Keep in mind I loved playing the originals back on WinKawaks and Final Burn back in the day. I had hundreds of hours on them. They were such fun games, even solo.

Melcar

Arcane
Got KoF XV since it was on my wishlist for a long time. Was tempted to get Samurai Showdown as well, but I was always more into the Last Blade series, which I still play regularly. Already have Samurai Showdown V Special for my Samurai Showdown kicks.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Got KoF XV since it was on my wishlist for a long time. Was tempted to get Samurai Showdown as well, but I was always more into the Last Blade series, which I still play regularly. Already have Samurai Showdown V Special for my Samurai Showdown kicks.
Yeah I got a KoF XV physical copy last month and will probably pick up the 1st DLC pass during this sale, although I'm only interested in Goose and Gato, and only very slightly.

Jason Liang

Arcane

The Jubei vs Yoshitora matches in Winners and Grand Finals is I think the most beautiful Samsho play I've ever seen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom