Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you a creative namer?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Topic has been done before in various forms, but why not again?

Do you feel you're fairly creative in naming your characters in RPGs? If so, care to share some examples? Do you have difficulty coming up with new names every time, thus resorting to recycling them or just randomly mashing the keyboard?

Here's my latest RPG party, judge for yourself:

Y3Aap9K.jpg

(From L to R: Male dwarven fighter, Male half-orc barbarian, Male elven fighter/thief, Female human shaman, Female gnomish priest/illusionist, Male transmuter)

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i use fitting name generators because i'm lazy, although i do purposely pick out fitting results that mesh well with what i think is good

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Wait, you actually try and name your guys like RPG names?

My main guy is always named KANE (all caps) and the rest are fairly normal names.

KANE
Matthew
Matthias
Mark
Luke
John

I never use females in my party. Also, your names are shit.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I name my party after my own name or that of relatives, loved ones, friends etc.

I'm playing as myself most of the game if given the choice of a blank slate character, so it would be obvious to me to use a name that I embody.

Naming aint really that important to me in any rpgs, it's more what I can do, the actions and the consequences thereof that I'm mostly interested in.

So to answer the question, no, I guess I'm not really that creative namer, because I'm satisfied with the above explanation.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I use mostly names that are suggestive of the class/role in some way. Always name my Clerics after popes, for instance. Besides that there's a few old in-jokes.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Name Generators/Babynamewhatevers are a good start, but I always end up tweaking them depending on the setting.
Compare:
HdQZ58H.png
7NOi2Mr.png
GB7zGS8.png
0Op3v7U.png

Arthus, Coyne, Elton and Renestrae. Respectively.
To:
Ypbjq0o.png
LznNflx.png
GXKXItF.png

Oscar, Vergil & Maggie.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Playing EE.

Most of what can be done via mods is instantly handled with EE. I'm also seeing features that are perfectly acceptable in a 2e game that I hadn't recalled seeing the first time I played IWD, with nothing taken out.

You just don't like Beamdog.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
My first run of any game will be with Conan. It will be a Strength build, with a two-handed sword. When it's party based I try to find real names or just randomize, I don't really care.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
It's usually lame jokes or historical figures, or on rare occasions fictional characters. Mostly lame jokes though.

My favorite was probably when I abused the fact that Pool of Radiance character creator doesn't care which head you mix with which body, to create a drag queen cleric named Divine. I'm also quite fond of Bilbosuke Bagginsmaru the Samurai Hobbit and Gim-Li the Dwarf Monk from Wizardry 8.

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
Use random names that sound right for the char to me. Saying that my dungeoncrawl graveyard has alot of O'Hallahan's and Fuarkula's

Disciple

Savant
I like to give my characters "ethnic" names based on their class or function. French surnames like Dulac or Leblanc for paladins, Welsh given names such as Owain or Daffyd for marksmen, Germanic stuff for melée-based characters, etc.

curds

Magister
If the game has a name generator, I will always use that. Otherwise I tend to use LARPy fantasy names, but not particularly creative ones. For example, my barb could have a name like Konen and my wizard might be named Mirlen or Dangalf.

overly excitable young man

I almost ever have the same party.

Dege or Degenhardt (german rapper), Dwarf Fighter/Barbarian
Sigourney (Sigourney Weaver), Paladin/Fighter
Blasko (Bela Lugosi), Cleric
Farah (Prince of Persia Sands of time), Cleric
Schmendrick (Last Unicorn), Sorcerer
Garret (Thief), Thief

When it's only one char i play as Degenhardt, Karras or Sigourney

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom