Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I hope GRRM just influence word building and marketing, and not plot and characters. Don't want edgy, nihilistic and sadistic western drama in a FROM game.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I hope GRRM just influence word building and marketing, and not plot and characters. Don't want edgy, nihilistic and sadistic western drama in a FROM game.
not sure if serious
nihilistic - every hollow character arc
sadistic - Patches

If you can't distinguish between Souls and ASOIAF tone,characters, events and themes, there is nothing to talk with you. Too blind or stupid.

toroid

Arcane
So, do we know if this vaporware game is going to have a multiplayer component or will it be single player only? Hoping to be free from the blandness that tends to set in when balancing for pvp.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So, do we know if this vaporware game is going to have a multiplayer component or will it be single player only? Hoping to be free from the blandness that tends to set in when balancing for pvp.
I'm 99% positive that there's going to be a multiplayer component. Sekiro was kind of a hiccup in that regard: it's an incredibly good game, but its lifespan was very short if you compare it to Dark Souls 3. Right now, even after 4 years, DS3 has 12.000 spectators (10 times those of Sekiro).

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
not sure if serious
sadistic - Patches

If you can't distinguish between Souls and ASOIAF tone,characters, events and themes, there is nothing to talk with you. Too blind or stupid.
aside for insults, ( please we are family here) i agree with you.
dark souls tone is more melanconic and metaphisical, while ASOIAF is down to earth materialistic and nhilistic tone, with some magic and mistery vibes.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
not sure if serious
sadistic - Patches
you are partly right btw. hollows lives are devoid of every sense and sanity, and accomplishes nothing no matter how hard they try. this is especially marked in the first game, but in ds3 in the firekeeper ending there is some hope.
i don't agree regarding patches, he is just a gimmicky and joke character present in every From soul. he means nothing aside from his gimmick

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So, do we know if this vaporware game is going to have a multiplayer component or will it be single player only?

Yeah, this is THE question. I love the idea of seamless single and multiplayer modes, it's brilliant design-wise, but sadly the practical problems kinda ruin it. I guess there's a reason all games since forever always had their SP and MP modes separate.

That said I do hope they at least bring back co-op, the lack of it in Sekiro was a bummer, and I also hope in a separate PvP mode, some sort of Arena or some such, with all weapons and gear balanced just for that. I have never played these modes in DS games but I love watching tournaments and shit.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Nihilistic characters is something more prominent in Souls games. And only a handful of characters in the books could be considered edgy and sadistic.

EDIT:
Honestly if they are indeed going to use him, then he should be the one to write the characters as world building isn't his strongest suit.

Last edited:

Cnaiur

Augur

"Hiroto, what ever did we do with that sizeable investment to spend on a famous writer for our next game? The execs want an update." "Fuck me if I know Asahi, but one thing is certain: that motherfucker is not allowed to go anywhere near the plot or characters with his experienced fat fingers."

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

"Hiroto, what ever did we do with that sizeable investment to spend on a famous writer for our next game? The execs want an update." "Fuck me if I know Asahi, but one thing is certain: that motherfucker is not allowed to go anywhere near the plot or characters with his experienced fat fingers."

He is a lazy fatty, probably he is glad that Hiroto do his work and he receives the check and name on the credits.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Yeah, this is where they will supposedly show Elden Ring and the new Obsidian RPG.

No doubt one of them will disappoint, but I won't tell you which one!

Imagine GRRM and Avellone work on new epic fantasy RPG with Obbsidian after done with ER. It must happen.
no, he should fucking write the last two books.
it will be enough if he manage to publish another book, at his writing pace, and good luck wrapping up all the plot threads and secondary characters in only 2 book. it would need need at least 4 more books to finish the saga properly and satisfyingly, and we will have only TWOW .
Plot twist: Elden Ring IS the next ASOIAF book.

I think that could be the greatest troll move in literary history.

Zeriel

Arcane
Before last GoT season: "Mwahaha! With GRR Martin at our side we're invincible!"

After last GoT season: "Fuck".

Last seasons writing was done by Dumb & Dumber, not Martin.

Apparently all the beats are what Martin planned to happen though, it's just the execution that you can argue is "incompetent". Which would explain why he seems willing to do anything to delay writing, because he knows when people realize it's going to the exact same place as the show his adoring fans will turn on him.

Silverfish

Arbiter

Yeah, Lorian and Lothric dry humping each other during their boss fight isn't reminiscent of the Lannisters at all.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Before last GoT season: "Mwahaha! With GRR Martin at our side we're invincible!"

After last GoT season: "Fuck".

This seems revisionist. GOT writing started trending down with season 4, fell off a sizable cliff in season 5 and was never recovered. Dany's storyline only had one good season (season 1, where she was vulnerable) and her big reveal was not only botched, but unimportant as the world didn't feel alive anymore.

I don't think Martin will finish his storyline. I think he even mentioned somewhere he wants to do more prequel work, like the silmarillion with Tolkien.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
EdqB9tQU8AE_TNP

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom