Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 6 - soap opera continues, this time in Cuba

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
I would wish that the game, or future games, had some sort of counter and AI per each 'side' that, while you can't extinguish outright (most players kill around 1, 2k enemies per game, I saw somewhere, that's 'only' a few battalions), each side can have tens of thousands of men on paper I guess, they would, you know, either stop sending troops to an area they keep getting killed in or reinforce it up the yazoo, or something.

I recall that Jagged Alliance 1.13 has such a system for the queen's troop numbers.

That's probably what led me to think so, I've been on and off JA 1.

Zeriel

Arcane
Man they keep choosing really boring locations.

The FC formula was already miked dry in FC3. While FC4 refined it a bit, it was already creatively bankrupt.

The peak was Blood Dragon. Looks like we're never going back to those halcyon days.

The later Far Cry games are all good, until they're suddenly not. Which for me is always about 10 hours in. After that the repetition kicks in and the feeling to start the game up just vanishes. I've had exactly the same experience with Fc2, FC3, Primal and FC5. From 'Omg this is actually a lot better than I thought' to, 'it's good and I'm still enjoying it, although I can feel it's getting a bit repetitive', and finally 'I can't stand doing this anymore, uninstall'. The mystery is why I've bought bloody 4 of them. I'm blaming Gaben and the damn Steam sales.

Far Cry primal was a total piece of shit until they released the survivor mode and then it suddenly became interesting and worth playing. Which just goes to show, ubishit is capable of making these games good, they just dont because retards eat up slop like pigs at a trough and beg for more.

They actually talked about this. Back when they changed the formula of the Assassins Creed series to be RPG hack and slashes they had an interview where they said their developers internally did more to revamp the formula in their games, but every time they would focus test it the audience didn't understand it, so they never change anything. The blackpill is Ubisoft is Ubisoft because humanity is humanity.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The peak was Blood Dragon. Looks like we're never going back to those halcyon days.
Gameplay wise Blood Dragon was pretty much exactly the same as Farcry 3. The over-the-top 80's style was a cool gimmick but in the end it was just that, a gimmick. Not something that could have carried a full-length game, let alone a whole series.

They tried making some small oddball DLC's for FC5, including a Vietnam war DLC and one where you travel to Mars. Gimmicky too, but they felt more different from the base game than Blood Dragon did FC3.

Zeriel

Arcane
There's a point at which analyzing particular parts of something doesn't approach the entire effect of the whole. Blood Dragon is one of those cases. Power Glove is not enough on its own to elevate a shitty product--as proven by that stupid bike trials "Blood Dragon" spinoff. But combine Power Glove's amazing soundtrack, the ridiculous story, the special animations for guns, the 80's schtick and you get a complete product that is so good I'd almost argue it is better than Far Cry 3 itself. I think I'd still consider 3 a little better, but that's only because it has way more content. As a cohesive whole I'd say Blood Dragon is the best ride of the series, and it makes all their others spinoffs look like the lazy trash they are.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Blood Dragon was definitely great, but in the end it is a one of a kind experience, not a formula that can be extended.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Fictional post-communist island in the Americas would have a vastly more interesting arsenal that Eastern-Europe (Just Soviet shit. Yawn.) and Middle-East (Same). Due to going so long without real conflict, these nations have some crazy arms lineages. This is especially so if you want to build distinct tiers of weapon making all of them use the same ammo (something Ubisoft likes to do) while having some recognizable guns. For instance, you could have some old Kar98Ks (Nations in this area bought up a bunch of Nazi surplus and rebarreled it for 308. It’s a bolt action and thus slow to fire.), followed by M1 Garand (Common in secondary nations either as US surplus that was often converted or built post war innately in 308, it’s semi-auto only and has a tiny magazine), then FAL (sold to tons of countries, decent magazine size, full auto could be restricted to a purchased upgrade), then some modern whizbang plastic shit that all use 308 and it would be entirely plausable if you say something about arms warehouses being looted. They'd even have a clear progression of scopes (KAR98K can mount a ZF41, which has tiny magnification, M1 Garand can reversably mount a scout rail, which opens it to red dots and some modern scout scopes that are still relatively low magnification, FAL can mount modern "normal" optics no problem). Mind you,there’s no way Ubisoft would be remotely that smart.

Edit:
For handguns, throw a curveball and make the standard caliber .380 (which, again, is kinda plausible for this area and not something you can do in Eastern Europe or the Middle-East). Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless, Beretta Cheetah (Double stack for more ammo), Scorpion (It's an SMG instead of just a handgun. 380 models are post-Cold War exports and surprisingly recent).
That doesn't sound too out of place for a Far Cry game. Minus areas with bolt-action rifles only, they'd never do that. AK-47s from the start, with the bolt-actions on the side.
Mind you, I'm aware that most Soviet weapons are pretty boring, but they've got some interesting stuff hiding in their hidey holes. But I more want those two settings for the environment. Vaguely wintery or desert places? Better than another island in my mind.
They actually talked about this. Back when they changed the formula of the Assassins Creed series to be RPG hack and slashes they had an interview where they said their developers internally did more to revamp the formula in their games, but every time they would focus test it the audience didn't understand it, so they never change anything. The blackpill is Ubisoft is Ubisoft because humanity is humanity.
Focus testing strikes again. Is there nothing that doesn't ruin?
Blood Dragon was definitely great, but in the end it is a one of a kind experience, not a formula that can be extended.
They tried, there was some racing game sequel that was a spinoff of a different game. Oh, you haven't heard of it? That's because it was crap. However, even if they serious tried it, it probably wouldn't do to well. Blood Dragon hit perfectly what a Far Cry game should be, short and to the point.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
https://mixdrop.co/f/1vvokqnms7qrpj
Found it cinematic tariler in french will probably get deleted soon

As expected crazy dictator in modern Cuba

I really hope we get to fuck around in that skyscraper for some reason. Cityscapes in FC have been really fuckin' not; unless there's some urban action in Blood Dragon but I never got into BD.

Man they keep choosing really boring locations.

How is it boring? Hell, what would you consider 'exciting'?

Dodo1610

Arcane
https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/07/12/everything-we-know-about-far-cry-6
Everything We Know About Far Cry 6

Today, we got our first look at Far Cry 6, the next entry in Ubisoft’s flagship series. This time around, you lead a guerilla revolution, fighting to free the fictional island nation of Yara from its brutal dictator. Ahead of the reveal, Ubisoft shared a presentation and let us chat with narrative director Navid Khavari. While the studio isn’t ready to talk about gameplay specifics, we were able to dive more into the setting and characters.

fc6_screenshots_1920x1080_guerrilla_close-up.jpg

A Fight For Freedom
Welcome to Yara, a tropical paradise frozen in time, located in the heart of the Caribbean. The island has seen better days. As Ubisoft puts it: “Decades of economic sanctions have devastated the nation, leaving it impoverished and divided.” As its dictator’s practices get increasingly more disturbing (more on that below), you’ll get swept up in a modern-day guerilla revolution. Your journey to burn down this tyrannical regime takes you through the island’s lush jungles, dense cities, and beautiful beaches. Ubisoft is calling it “the most expansive Far Cry playground to date.”

You play Dani Rojos, who you can choose to be male or female. “In terms of Dani, what we wanted to do was explore a character that is fully voiced, fully performance captured and you can play as both male and female," Khavari says. “We also wanted a character that was born and raised on the island of Yara, is a local, and someone who didn't necessarily see themselves as part of a revolution or an uprising, but who gets swept up in the Libertad movement.”

Khavari says a small team went down to Cuba to take in everything for inspiration. “We got to meet with the locals and explore the culture and the diversity, but we also got to talk to actual guerrillas who fought in the revolution there,” he says. “There are all sorts of reasons people will join up and fight in a guerilla revolution. Some want to shoot guns and feel that adrenaline kick, while others are looking to do it for the country and for the flag. I think that dynamic was really interesting narratively, and then also from the gameplay perspective, the idea of this David versus Goliath dynamic. Also, because the island has been under a blockade for about 50 years, having to make do with what you have was really interesting. In terms of gameplay and also in terms of how you approach Far Cry 6.”

Ubisoft says to expect some unconventional weapons due to trying to make do with what’s available on the island in addition to having vehicles and animal companions.

fc6_screenshots_1920x1080_car_chase.jpg

The Antagonist Is Ruthless Dictator Antón Castillo
Far Cry is known for its cunning villains. From radical cult leader Joseph Seed to maniacal king Pagan Min, the series is full of intense personalities. Antón Castillo, played by Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul), certainly fits that bill and has his own complexities. As El Presidente of Yara, he’s kept the country under his tight control, often resorting to brutal methods to achieve what he thinks is the “greater good.” He was elected to return the struggling island to its former glory and will stop at nothing to achieve his vision.

Antón believes the island was at its best 50 years ago before the first revolution. When we sat down with Khavari, he revealed that Antón’s own father was in charge of the country during that time. “The revolution actually took over and ended up executing Antón 's father right before his eyes,” he explains. “So right from the beginning, Antón has grown up with this perspective and mindset and worldview that the island was stolen from his family. And because Yara over the years experienced this economic decline, I think Antón saw that as proof that only the Castillo family can really save Yara. So when he's elected to power, he does so on the promise to rebuild paradise, to bring Yara back to the money it had 50 years ago. But what he doesn't say is that that paradise isn't for everyone, that those who dare speak out against his methods will be rounded up into essentially a forced labor state, one that is forced to work at gunpoint to see his vision of the country.”

farcry5box.jpg

Antón And His Son Diego’s Relationship Takes Center Stage
The trailer made clear that Antón’s relationship with his son would be an important aspect of Far Cry 6; he’s essentially grooming this young man to succeed him. But will Diego follow his lead? That’s for us to discover when we play. It’s also what makes Antón one of our most interesting villains to date. One minute he’s a cunning leader, the next a caring father.

“The touchstone for us was having this character who was born amidst revolution and developed a very twisted worldview after the execution of his father, but also someone who is a father himself," Khavari says. "I think there's just something interesting about what it’s like to be in the room with the dictator and see how they try to justify what they're doing and see things from their perspective. On top of that, seeing Antón as a character who not only is running a country but is also as a father, trying to pass down these lessons to his son that are twisted and basically brutal and offensive. At the same time, the layer on top of that is he loves Diego. He wants him to grow up safe and secure, and he actually believes he's doing the right thing. I think that's something that Giancarlo, who is playing Antón, really keyed in on right from the beginning.”

So where does playable protagonist Dani fit with these two characters and what types of relationships will he have with them? Ubisoft isn’t ready to talk specifics yet, but we did get Khavari to tease more about this aspect of the game. “That triangle of characters between Antón, Diego, and Dani is absolutely crucial,” he says. “What I can say is that with Diego what we found really interesting was this idea of this is a 13-year-old teenager. I think a lot of folks can remember what it was like being 13, at least I do. It’s hard enough to figure out who you are and what you're gonna do in this world and what does it all mean? But try doing that while also being the son of a dictator who is running a country. We really wanted to create a character in Diego that is riding a razor's edge – that you don't know exactly where he's going to land. Is he going to follow in his father's footsteps? Is he going to be a brutal dictator himself? Or is he going to forge his own journey, his own path? So I'm excited to see what players think of that.”

fc6_screenshots_1920x1080_esperanza.jpg

The World Has More Verticality Than Past Games
For a first in the series, Yara houses a sprawling capital city, Esperanza. You can navigate the area more stealthily or go guns blazing in firefights through the streets. “Right from the beginning, we knew that we would want to do a capital city,” Khavari says. “We are going to be talking about a lot of the gameplay elements at a later date, but it definitely changes the way you play and approach things. When you have a city, there's definitely verticality involved… and you really get the sense of a revolution. Because a guerrilla revolution usually starts in the jungles and in the farmlands, but you sort of circle and approach Antón. And when you attack a city, you just feel the weight of oppression, just in the scale of the buildings, being able to navigate rooftops and alleys. It not only changes the way you play, but it changes how the narrative feels.”

fc6_screenshots_1920x1080_scene_dani.jpg

“Guns For Hire” Returns
One of the most popular and successful elements from Far Cry 5 is back. This time around, it’s called Amigos For Hire, where you can pair up with A.I. companions to help you. From a jaded ex-KGB spy to an adorable wiener dog, you can call in some backup to your missions. Ubisoft wouldn’t get into specifics, except to confirm this feature is back. According to Khavari, wiener dog Chorizo is the favorite among the dev team. “I can say maybe as a little tease, he kills with kindness, so I’m excited for people to experience that.”

fc6_screenshots_1920x1080_ambush.jpg

It Already Has A Release Date
Far Cry 6 is set to release on February 18 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia, and PC. Ubisoft confirmed if you purchase the game for PS4 or Xbox One, you can upgrade to a next-gen platform at no additional cost after the launch.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Told ya that you play the role of the (not-)commies.

Khavari says a small team went down to Cuba to take in everything for inspiration. “We got to meet with the locals and explore the culture and the diversity, but we also got to talk to actual guerrillas who fought in the revolution there,” he says.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Told ya that you play the role of the (not-)commies.

Khavari says a small team went down to Cuba to take in everything for inspiration. “We got to meet with the locals and explore the culture and the diversity, but we also got to talk to actual guerrillas who fought in the revolution there,” he says.

Going by the usual FC storyline, all the factions will probably end up being shitty people who make the situation worse.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Far Cry 6 is set to release on February 18 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia, and PC. Ubisoft confirmed if you purchase the game for PS4 or Xbox One, you can upgrade to a next-gen platform at no additional cost after the launch.

What's a Stadia?

Lemming42

Arcane
I don't like dogs much IRL but I absolutely hate them in videogames because of the people who react like this to any dog in any game:

DAE CRY WHEN DOGMEAT DIED??? DAE RELOAD WHEN DOGMEAT DIES?? DAE LOVE THE EPIC HECKIN' PUPPERINO???

Fuck Chorizo. I hope you can blow Chorizo to hell the instant the bastard thing appears on the screen.

orcinator

Liturgist
So is this going to have more "RPG Elements" where you need to level up before you're allowed to damage the hitscan retard enemy enemy if they hang out in a certain part of the map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom