Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Summoning feats worth it?

If you use a lot of summoning spells, yes. Augmented summoning and summoning mastery are pretty mandatory for a druid IMO, as he is currently the summoner of the game. For other classes like warlock I don't think it's worth it since there are other feats to take first.

the pure casters of the game - Psion, wizard, druid get extra feats so they might pull it off ( cleric/bishop might get the feats you need from domains, like the reach/mysticism domains ) , these are the only casters that can afford to take flavor feats. ( like improved stomp )

The rest of the casters ( sorcerer/warlock etc ) should stick to the essential casting feats that every caster should take:
Improved Initiative, Improved concertation, spell range 1 and possibly 2/3 , Spell penetration and Greater spell penetration. The feats that make your spells harder to resist should probably also be taken. (spell focus / discipline focus )

Don't forget to take the transformation feats for your wizard/sorcerer. For example, the red wizard transformation requires spell focus evocation and greater spell focus evocation.

Yes you need a lot of feats, that's why humans are great casters.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Guys, where can I find the patch and patch notes? The download link I got only lets me download the whole game again -- is that it? (But where are the notes?)

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Seems i gotta restart again :)

Back to the char rolling xD

Man, i wish pierre just lets us point buy at char creation, you already have a fixed number of ability points anyway, this constant rolling is already a pain in the ass
BlueSalamander

Darth Canoli

Arcane
This pool fight is really stupid. It'd be a hard fight without the druid, or with the druid but without one of either the frogs or the trident guys. With all them and the penalty for fighting underwater it's ridiculous.

P.S. spare me a troll attempt telling me to get good, I remain, to this day, a top 15 competitive esports Knights of the Chalice 1 player.

JCYYOnU.jpg

Dude, you're bragging about a steam top list on the codex, how retarded are you ?
Also, the game was out for 12 years on direct DL before it was released on steam.

If you were to compare with the real men that bought the game back then, you'd barely make the top 10000.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Honestly, I've been starved for a good RPG and here it is. Why the first module has the difficulty of "forget it" is hard to explain, though. What's the next module? Where do you even go from here?

Don't get me wrong. I like difficult games. And I know it's a game for a niche audience. But this was an awful business decision! Nobody normal will survive this. And wouldn't it make sense for the next modules to be more difficult? Yet there's no room to grow left!

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So this game is early access right? I know it's not on steam yet but in terms of where it is on the roadmap. They still have tokens when the KS page shows sprites and the KS says estimated delivery date is Jan 2022.
That's a fairly inaccurate assessment of the release date. If you look at the pledge that just gets you Augury of Chaos, it says the release date is "Jul 2020":

Pledge £20 or more

Champion

DIGITAL DOWNLOADABLE COPY OF KOTC 2 AUGURY OF CHAOS. Includes the KotC 2 module editor and digital soundtracks. All Kickstarter backers will receive a special Kickstarter-only in-game item. You will get both the Windows and Mac OS versions. This special price is available to Kickstarter backers only.

INCLUDES:

KotC 2 Direct Download
Kickstarter-only in-game item

ESTIMATED DELIVERY Jul 2020

January 2022 is the release date given for the second module and the digital guidebook.

It even says it's complete at the bottom.

Risks and challenges
KotC 2 Augury of Chaos already exists as a full game for Windows and Mac OS...

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you were to compare with the real men that bought the game back then, you'd barely make the top 10000.

I have a very serious doubts that there were at least 10 000 people who bought KotC directly from the Pierre's site (And paid hefty sum in some weird money for it).

Well... it was pirated from rutracker 2800 times already so maybe I am wrong.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know. At least 4 people already beat the game, I don't think it's quite challenging enough. Hopefully we can see Pierre do better.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Sometimes you do have to wonder about the design in this game:

Minion: Boss, the adventurers have penetrated the Lower Sewer and will be here soon, what do we do?
Boss: Prepare an ambush! We will kill these idiots!
Minion: What about this barrel containing our circle 9 scrolls of meteor showers and the like that's right in their direct path in front of our room?
Boss: Oh, leave it, it's not like they can win initiative!

Mortmal

Arcane
Man, who the hell did you take up to clear fire cave at level 3? I just tried wizard + glad but salamander encounter crushed them. Think I'll retry with the fighter for the extra hp.
You can do in an extrmeely easy way, you need one big stupid warrior type and one cleric type, immediately go left , jump over the chasm, open the chest kill the snakes, be sure your cleric do not stay close to lava , they will pull him. Loot all th spells, then go back tot he right, in combat win iniative, cast gargantuan fire elemental on the pool with the cleric . he will do the job for you. The encounter is in fact easy...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
In retrospect most encounters really can be beaten if you know your mechanics exactly and know in advance what is coming, like in a puzzle game.
However, you still lose if you lose initiative, which does feel a bit frustrating, but that's more of a D&D issue.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
The Knightly Kobold Koalition continues its redemption arc with the defeat of king empowered fireball. Now I just need to figure out how the hell to kill the lizardman without losing 5 people and pulling off a win with an arrow of slaying.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
it literally means his encounter design is shit.
Well, it depends on the design goal.

If the goal was "create a difficult, challenging D&D adventure" I think he failed, spectacularly so. Having to metagame, use incredibly strong PCs, having to pray to win initiative every single battle, and having to bring the right spells or you lose doesn't make an adventure that feels 'right.'
If the goal was "make the hardest puzzle RPG ever conceived, to challenge people to find the optimal builds, spells and approaches to various encounters in a relentless trial" then, I think, he had success.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Bruhs, if I can clear the gleegold yard and get to the front gate with a party of kobolds surely you can beat the game with an optimal build, c'mon now. :positive:

Mortmal

Arcane
In retrospect most encounters really can be beaten if you know your mechanics exactly and know in advance what is coming, like in a puzzle game.
However, you still lose if you lose initiative, which does feel a bit frustrating, but that's more of a D&D issue.
Cant really say beaten , chapter 3 fight is still absurd no matter the party composition. Only way is still reloading till you can cast tornado and one shot the warlock, hundreds of reloading that's no clean win . That is absurd and very poorly designed encounter. I still cant do death snare final room and spider , far too many reloads as well .
It's no D&D issue , every encounters in KOTC 2 CR is overpowered or deadly , wthout rests, while in d&d you have rests between 2-3 medium.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
No, the Discord users actually found another way that's way more efficient:

1) Stinking Cloud on Warlock
2) kill rest with AoE (like the Meteor Shower scroll, or some Earthquakes)
3) GRAPPLE the fuck you demon, he can't do shit

Honestly, that I haven't thought of it makes me ashamed. I just didn't have Stinking Cloud, and I also hadn't tried Grapple before.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Yeah he cheats so I wouldn't take him as a good example. Besides you still use level 9 scrolls so what's the difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom