Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Reviews of Shadowrun mods

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There just isn't that huge, HUGE community of talented module authors like with NWN

:what:

There were only two NWN mods I really liked, maybe two or three others that were okay.

Its surprising you don't seem to complain about many bugs because people used to run into plenty when playing those modules, I sure did.

Jacked-Up and Silver Angel had some scripting bugs (Jacked-Up had a particularly bad one where I couldn't even progress further unless I took a violent instead of a nonviolent route), so they earned their 1 stars. The fact that they both have perfect scores on the Steam Workshop is crazy, and a testament to the bad taste/low standards of mod players (see also NWN Vault's top rankings :P)

Other than that, everything else I played was perfectly polished except where noted. Some of these modders have been updating them with bug fixes since their initial release.

All in all that is a pretty disappointing turn-out for this editor. We could've had years of supply with great SR modules but it wasn't supposed to be.

It isn't great, but I'd say it's good. Far more output than what's been released for D:OS and D:OS 2. Quality>quantity, regardless, even if the law of averages would suggest that there more there are, the more likely there are to be great mods (though that didn't work out for me with NWN).

Yeah, sometimes it's the damn toolset that cockblocks fun and prevents the flourishing of a good module community. I guess that's the case with HBS's Shadowrun series.

Btw, I see no mention of A Stitch In Time for SRR in this topic. I've heard at least one person compare it in quality to official campaigns, or close to it. Anyone here have input on it?

Looked it up, instant pass because the levels look way too big. Bad from a "how long it takes to walk to and fro" and a loading time perspective.

Not being a Shadowrun person (though I did play through the new games), I remember a few years ago someone commenting on the original campaign (from a console I am guessing) being done in this engine by a modder, and people were very happy with it. I have no idea what the original campaign is called, nor who did it, or where to find it. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable of the setting and its past versions knows about this?
Reboot of the SNES Shadowrun, for Dragonfall DC https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=317632217

Last edited:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
You think some of them could use more exposure but you only rated one of them 4 stars, and none 5? I don't get it. I'm not wasting my time installing some shitty fan mod unless it's balls-to-the-wall amazing.

It'd be extremely rare for me to rate anything five stars. Additionally, From The Shadows, Run Acts 2 and 3 and Razor's Edge Chapter 3 received four stars. :M

I understand you're incapable of enthusiasm and this makes you believe that you have superior critical faculties, but what he's saying here is what the fuck are you doing. Why are you writing this you fucking twitchy robot

I'm not twitchy, I play turned-based games. :M

Yeah baby, you got it

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I understand you're incapable of enthusiasm and this makes you believe that you have superior critical faculties, but what he's saying here is what the fuck are you doing. Why are you writing this you fucking twitchy robot

I genuinely enjoyed playing everything rated three stars or higher?

eXalted

Arcane
People are still making and updating UGCs? I'm kinda sad that there are people so enthusiastic about creating content and they gave this shitty editor.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
There were only two NWN mods I really liked, maybe two or three others that were okay.

LikelyUnacceptableLeafhopper-small.gif

Regarding the long loading times, does it help if you have an SSD or is it a problem with the SR engine? Never played any of these games myself but I want to.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People are still making and updating UGCs? I'm kinda sad that there are people so enthusiastic about creating content and they gave this shitty editor.

Some are still being updated as recently as last year, though it appears no one has released any new ones since 2018.

It looks like I made a mistake getting the Nexus version of Good Intentions because the author has updated it several times specifically to fix the ESL. I wasn't aware of http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/ at the time. :negative:

Regarding the long loading times, does it help if you have an SSD or is it a problem with the SR engine? Never played any of these games myself but I want to.

An SSD probably does help, but long loading times are a feature of the Unity engine that requires programmers to actively make an effort to fix it. The bigger the map, the longer it takes, though small ones pop up instantly or near-instantly.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yo i remember that there was Shadowrun Return made in to a mod for hong kong or maybe dragonfall. Does anyone have the link for it or its name?

Zer0wing

Cipher
Clickbait thread name. Expected to see Shadowrun '94s Magus77 Conversion Mod romhack review; Shadowrun SNES remake in S:R engine review; Shadowrun Sega-CD english patch. Not some AO3 tier fanfics.

Explain yourself, Roguey .

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey Did you do anything in particular to get From the Shadows, Run to run properly? Both Act 1 and 2 were a broken, buggy mess, but I could see the potential was there.
Worked perfectly fine for me. I downloaded the ones from nexusmods.

hello friend

Arcane
Roguey Did you do anything in particular to get From the Shadows, Run to run properly? Both Act 1 and 2 were a broken, buggy mess, but I could see the potential was there.
Worked perfectly fine for me. I downloaded the ones from nexusmods.
Strange. It was absolutely unplayable for me. Were you using GoG or Steam version?

Bigg Boss

Arcane

What year did you play them?
Wait you asking me or the other guy? I've been diving into Shadowrun UGCs this past week.

I was asking when you first tried the mod because it was in such a state years ago when it first came out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom