Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VI - Now available, so you can sink all your free time into it

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Firaxis also really heavily subscribes to the idea that the purpose of the AI is to entertain the player and then lose. Really easy to slide into "who gives a shit about the AI lol" from that.
It's shit at this though, since the AI is highly incompetent and barely plays half the mechanics.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I have to give credit to Firaxis in offering one of the worst free deals on Epic:

-Base game only with the Aztec dlc
-Can't buy dlc separately,have to buy premium edition
-Frontier pass getting released which requires all dlc
-No mod support on epic

vota DC

Augur
Vanilla was free on Epic, but there is no way to get SDK for modding.
Anyway does it needs tools for mod if you don't want to add graphics? The free aztec DLC just seems to be mostly xml files editable with text editor.

And what about non standard custom civs? Civs 2 could have custom civilization that worked in scenario only with the use of cheat, there was the WW2 scenario that was fun.

Also I am not sure DLC sounds good, at least on paper. I mean maybe they are pure fun but right now district+wonders+worker tiles are enough for the city even if you decide to ignore some (for example zero holy sites and wonders in a city) of them and I think a district could host at least one wonder (also it is realistic: Colossus is one of the least annoying because can be built on sea, still in history Colossus was built in the port district).
If you play Romans on Earth map Rome city will need half France and Greece, the nearest city would be in Spain. I still remember that people weren't happy so I built entertainment district in Sardinia and they were even angrier because I ruined the appeal.

i tried this with all the wuss about the expansions and stuff.
do you know how normal civ5 pesters you with pointless interruptions? this is its bigger, meaner, annoyeer brother. did you start near a volcano, a river or a random dog with meteorism? your game is doomed because every five minutes your invaluably precious improvements will be razed, your population will die and you'll be constantly interrupted by a myriad of even minor messages, plus the constant rain of "let me in! let me iiiiiiiiiiiiiiin" by whatever other civ you met.
for ten times before having the first proper government you'll be harassed with "change your cards! chage your cards i say!" only that either you unlocked unusable cards or the new unlocks have zero usability. like "build shit ships faster". who the hell ever had to have an early fleet? since when a fleet has had any meaning in any civ?
the latest expansion has been about disasters. the biggest one is the game itself.

Last edited:

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Or, better yet, don't waste your time on a game that's the definition of decline in the strategy genre?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Civ has been babys first 4x for a while now. Ive played two rounds with my wife and some friends when we grabbed it for free on EGS and yeah, its shallow compared to the great ones, but it also is pretty accessable and for a "normie game" still quite complex.

It made me buy Endless Legends in the end, so it managed to do what its predecessors also basically did: Act as gateway drug

among the disasters there's the forest fires. they spread through trees, damage improvements, outright kill civilians, kill population, but leaves a +x food and production on tiles. take a big forest, cut some trees down to make some holes, wait for the first fire to spread. if you have enough trees the fires somehow will come back when the first burned down have already regrown. i have a bunch of cities surrounded by +40 food and production tiles.
not. enough. facepalms.

Cael

Arcane
among the disasters there's the forest fires. they spread through trees, damage improvements, outright kill civilians, kill population, but leaves a +x food and production on tiles. take a big forest, cut some trees down to make some holes, wait for the first fire to spread. if you have enough trees the fires somehow will come back when the first burned down have already regrown. i have a bunch of cities surrounded by +40 food and production tiles.
not. enough. facepalms.
Burning trees down and the forest replenishing itself after a fire is a Fall From Heaven gimmick back in Civ4. In that one, you still get the +1 production from the burnt forest, but not the health bonus, so it is strictly worse than a healthy forest.

Trust the fucktards to stuff that one up.

RuySan

Augur
After so many years, I finally got this (free on Epic), and as a veteran Civ player (since the first on the amiga), first impressions weren't good but the game is growing on me.

My biggest peeve is the lack of flavour. Even a small menu on Civ 5 had more flair than Civ 6. The wonders paintings in 5 were much more effective, and some of the quotes in VI are frankly ridiculous. They even included that bullshit story about NASA siphoning loads of dollars into developing a space pen, and the Russians taking a pencil, when everyone already knows it's bullshit. Also, quotes by Ayn Rand? Seriously? It was obvious that Civ 5 was made by much more cultured people.

The Civ choices were also ridiculous, but enough has been said about this. Diversity is nice, but colonial european civilizations is stupid. Brazil? Australia? Grand Colombia? Canada? Instead of Portugal? I can accept Americans because they won the real world game of Civilization.

On the other hand, I like the districts, and it will hard to go back to V because of it.

AI is worse, and in the last game I captured 4 barbarian settlers....no shit. And the AI leaders lack aggressiveness, but that was already the case in V with the expansions.

There's barely any penalty to ICS. The only that I noticed is that luxury resources only feed into 4 cities, so in the long run cities will start to lose productivity, but isn't enough. Civ 5 went to far into penalising wide empires, but this is too little.

Not entirely convinced about the Civics/governments. In 5 it wasn't perfect because it forced us into a path very early, but now it's about choosing between similar civis with some modifiers. A bit more micromanagement for very little reward. The system in Endless Space 2 is the best, and I hope Civ 7 copies it.

RuySan

Augur
As if Ayn Rand quotes weren't bad enough, this game has a quote from Paulo Coelho. Couldn't find a decent writer to quote on discovering "writing"?? This game was made by phillistines.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
As if Ayn Rand quotes weren't bad enough, this game has a quote from Paulo Coelho. Couldn't find a decent writer to quote on discovering "writing"?? This game was made by phillistines.
That's not even the worst offender. Have you seen the Kilimanjaro quote?

flyingjohn

Arcane
iu

For the citation needed crowd.

Cael

Arcane
iu

For the citation needed crowd.
What is so bad about it? Sounds exactly like what I expect a millennial or a zoomer to say/do, which, given the demographic the game is pandering to, would make very good sense from a marketing point of view.

RuySan

Augur

I facepalmed so hard that I had to check to see who's Nancy Bonds. Apparently she's no one relevant, so maybe Firaxis was just trying to be funny. If that was the case they should have gone full retard, and every "inspirational" quote be from social media posts from conspiracy theorists, homeopaths, scientologists, anti-vaxxers, influencers, trump supporters, american "progressives" and so on. It's a great idea for a mod.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron

I facepalmed so hard that I had to check to see who's Nancy Bonds. Apparently she's no one relevant, so maybe Firaxis was just trying to be funny. If that was the case they should have gone full retard, and every "inspirational" quote be from social media posts from conspiracy theorists, homeopaths, scientologists, anti-vaxxers, influencers, trump supporters, american "progressives" and so on. It's a great idea for a mod.
Oh please, these are all bad people. They deserve to be cancelled and kicked off the internet, not be given a platform to peddle their vile hatred. Except for the "progressives", they should be signal-boosted to hell.

Also, if you keep playing, try paying attention to the Great Persons. Who they picked for Great Generals and Admirals in the modern (atomic?) era is hilarious.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Calm down mate.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I played one round of Civ VI this weekend in a prestigious LAN session with a good bottle of scotch. Astoundingly, four years after the game's release the AI is still as braindead as on day one. We managed to beat three AI teams on Deity in 150 turns or so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom