Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

Tehdagah

Arcane
ncm2znx83ma51.jpg

Casual Hero

Augur
Vikings did not shave the sides of their heads, smh. This reminds me of period films from the 70s. Some of them tried really hard to be accurate, but you can look at the hairstyle and see it was clearly made in the 70s.
I wonder if we will look back on AC: Valhalla and say, "lol, this was definitely a product of 2020."

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
You know what's sad about these new AC games ? If they'd finally quit believing that hundreds of hours of content is the only way you can sell a game in [current year], these would probably be awesome games.
So much ressources used to make a concept unarguably worse.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Ubisoft: "We cant have a women on Ass Creed because we can bother make the running animation and the voice acting for her."

SJW: REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Ubisoft:" Johnny, the SJWs are reeeeeing, copy the masculine animations to the female version, also, preference for a cheap voice actor, someone that isnt american so she can mumble something and we can say bad acting is an accent thing for exotic reasons, we will show how much we care with inclusivity."

SJW: We want black people too, REEEEEEEE.

Ubisoft: "Add some tanned vikings too. What? It is impossible to get tanned on Scandinavia? Are you joking? Those dumb people dont even know where scandinavia is, add some "tanned" vikings and be done with it."

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Assassin's Creed Valhalla wants to be The Witcher 3

AC Odyssey wanted to be the Witcher 3 and so did AC Origins, but it was too barebones in the RPG section.

It's awesome that the PC Gamer braintrust has discovered what everyone with functioning senses learned years ago.

So of course Valhalla wants to be the Witcher 3 as well. That's the whole point of the reboot.

The main stream reception of this seems to be slightly critical - at least in Germany.

It is glorifying the ubermench race of norse blondies...
thinking.png
I can just see the wheels and cogs turning in the mainstream media's mind after taking a quick look at Valhalla.

bloodlover

Arcane
Historical accuracy is thinner with each game (and I doubt that people expect this anymore) but of all settings so far, in this one it makes the most sense to be able to play a female character. I have not played Odyssey but afaik it's more grounded in mythology so it should not matter what gender the character is. The problem with gender in games is that the creators have to generalize/delete many aspects in order to fit two narratives but as far as AC games go, this should not be an issue. I am more worried about 9999999 fetch quests and HUGE open world than I am about gender.

Edit: Funny how every game wanted to be Skyrim at some point and now it's been replaced by The Witcher 3.

Yosharian

Arcane

Onna-bugeisha (女武芸者, "female martial artist") was a type of female warrior belonging to the Japanese nobility. These women engaged in battle alongside samurai men mostly in times of need.

A shield-maiden (Old Norse: skjaldmær) was a female warrior from Scandinavian folklore and mythology. Historians disagree about whether they existed or not.

Codex Year of the Donut

Onna-bugeisha (女武芸者, "female martial artist") was a type of female warrior belonging to the Japanese nobility. These women engaged in battle alongside samurai men mostly in times of need.

A shield-maiden (Old Norse: skjaldmær) was a female warrior from Scandinavian folklore and mythology. Historians disagree about whether they existed or not.
In 2017, DNA analysis confirmed that the person was female
I was told being female is a social construct. How do you test bones for a social construct?

NPC451

Literate
Doesn't assassins creed have mythological creatures in it now?
Who cares about realism, let me play as a buff viking chick.

DemonKing

Arcane
Doesn't assassins creed have mythological creatures in it now?
Who cares about realism, let me play as a buff viking chick.

Exactly - given the mythical elements in the last couple of AC games (and also evidently in Valhalla as well) having shield maidens is hardly much of a stretch.

Biggest problem with me for AC is how repetitive they are in order to get that "magical" hundreds of hours of gameplay. I'd rather they were shorter but with more unique content personally.

NPC451

Literate
Exactly - given the mythical elements in the last couple of AC games (and also evidently in Valhalla as well) having shield maidens is hardly much of a stretch.

Biggest problem with me for AC is how repetitive they are in order to get that "magical" hundreds of hours of gameplay. I'd rather they were shorter but with more unique content personally.

I think they are designed to be played casually over several months, not binged.
However, i do agree that the main content should aim to be less repetitive.

Longes

Augur
I really wish they'd make a separate game. Keep everything the same - just don't call it Assassin's Creed 23. Call it "Eng-Land: Shadow of Varyag" or whatever.

On a mechanical level AC Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla have moved so far from the origins of the series that they are basically unrecognizable. It really is more Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 than it is Assassin's Creed.

On a narrative level, Assassin's Creed consistently keeps being a boulder on the writers' ankle rather than a benefit. The modern storyline has ended with AC 3 and had nothing interesting every since. All of the setting's secrets are already known. We know there are no gods - it's just ancient alien holograms faking it. We know there is no magic. The Pieces of Eden have long since stopped being interesting or even relevant. Animus is irrelevant even as a framing device. The "genetic memory" premise is just restricting the writers who want to write lesbians or whatever.

I just want a game about a cool viking Odinson throwing runes and casting axes at people. Am I being greedy? Is this too much to ask? How many decades of Assassin's Creed will it be until we are finally free?

J1M

Arcane
I really wish they'd make a separate game. Keep everything the same - just don't call it Assassin's Creed 23. Call it "Eng-Land: Shadow of Varyag" or whatever.

On a mechanical level AC Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla have moved so far from the origins of the series that they are basically unrecognizable. It really is more Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 than it is Assassin's Creed.

On a narrative level, Assassin's Creed consistently keeps being a boulder on the writers' ankle rather than a benefit. The modern storyline has ended with AC 3 and had nothing interesting every since. All of the setting's secrets are already known. We know there are no gods - it's just ancient alien holograms faking it. We know there is no magic. The Pieces of Eden have long since stopped being interesting or even relevant. Animus is irrelevant even as a framing device. The "genetic memory" premise is just restricting the writers who want to write lesbians or whatever.

I just want a game about a cool viking Odinson throwing runes and casting axes at people. Am I being greedy? Is this too much to ask? How many decades of Assassin's Creed will it be until we are finally free?
They should make an AC game set in the 1970's. Teach us all about the secret woke history of Watergate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom