Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Fresh off Subnautica, ended up getting its standalone expansion (though I'm probably going to wait for 1.0), as well as the Outer Wilds, and an early access title people have dubbed "Subnautica in space". Just want more of that experience of being dumped somewhere and needing to make sense of it without handholding.
Outer Wilds is definitely Subnautica-esque with the sense of exploration. You lose the crafting and combat but it's more dense when it comes to cool little locations, lore, fluff, etc. They're two slightly different takes on exploration games but part of what I liked about Subnautica was the grind was extremely minimal, so I don't particularly mind the complete lack of crafting in Outer Wilds since that means 0 grind cluttering up the cool shit.

cosmicray

Savant
Finding Paradise - liked To The Moon, so why not.
Chaser - this games always gets my attention. Saw my friend play it lots of years ago. Always wanted to try.
DiRT Rally - at last I have some rally sim.
Whispers of a Machine - Recommended by RPGCodex
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl - Always wanted to try.
Legend of Grimrock 2 - previous game was on Linux, while this isn't. It's playable on SteamPlay.
Kathy Rain - Recommended by RPGCodex. Also demo was quite good.
Quake - I don't know, I have an itch to replay. Always thought I played only the first episode, but probably played all three.
Football Manager 2020 - Drug addiction returns.

Told myself i wasn't buying anything this time then i woke up with all this shit bought.

Assassin's Creed Origins Gold Edition
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition: Faces of Good and Evil
Bio Inc. Redemption
Devil May Cry HD Collection
Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition
Dishonored 2
Divinity Original Sin: The Source Saga
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered
Life is Strange Complete Season (Episodes 1-5)
Pillars of Eternity: The White March Expansion Pass
Plague Inc: Evolved
Project Hospital
Project Hospital: Hospital Services
Quantum Break
Resident Evil 6 Complete
Resident Evil 7 Gold Edition
Rocksmith 2014 - Muse - Hysteria
Saints Row 2
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
Tales of Berseria
Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition
The Evil Within Season Pass
The Walking Dead: 400 Days
Tomb Raider: Adventure Pack
Vanquish
XCOM: Enemy Unknown Complete Pack

Last edited:
Are you even going to play them?

Sure, not even increasing the backlog too much. RE6 and Divinity are only for coop purposes, most of the rest are DLC for games i already have and Steam versions of games i have on console like Vanquish and DMC because playing on console sucks ass.

Sucks when you have to buy complete editions of games you already have because they're cheaper than the DLC itself, like XCOM and Sleeping dogs, but that's a modern gaming common problem.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Outer Wilds is definitely Subnautica-esque with the sense of exploration. You lose the crafting and combat but it's more dense when it comes to cool little locations, lore, fluff, etc. They're two slightly different takes on exploration games but part of what I liked about Subnautica was the grind was extremely minimal, so I don't particularly mind the complete lack of crafting in Outer Wilds since that means 0 grind cluttering up the cool shit.

I just started it tonight and I'm already in love (the world design of Brittle Hollow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), though I'm anxious for when I run out of these gems, as to what can possible live up to them. (And while the final third of Subnautica was less interesting in some respects because you didn't have freedom of choice, that ending sequence more than made up for it. Few times in a game have I felt a sense of weight and reward in my final actions. Very cool execution.)

Slitherine's Legion Gold released on Steam:
Sure looks like a Slitherine game, lol...

Jokes aside, would definitely like an opinion from someone who's played this.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Not much on Steam itself:

Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest
Damascus Gear Operation Osaka HD Edition

But then new Humble Choice coincided with the sale, and I explored other options as well:

ATOM: RPG
SKYHILL: Black Mist
1971 PROJECT HELIOS
The Walking Dead: The Final Season
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
Disciples III: Reincarnation
Conan Unconquered
Iron Danger

Will I play any of these?

:hmmm:

RE6 and Divinity are only for coop purposes.
I'm of those people who found RE6 to be pretty great but as a coop experience it's just fucking terrible, there are just way too many instafail QTE cutscenes and escape sequences where the death of one player resets both. If you're skipping RE5 for whatever reason, Revelations 2 or even Operation Raccoon City are infinitely superior as coop romps (Rev2 for plot and atmosphere, ORC for retardo slaughter).

I beat RE5 on coop already, that's why i got RE6 even if know it's not as good, but AFAIK only RE5 and RE6 have fully fledged coop campaign modes. Correct me if i'm mistaken but ORC is more of a Left 4 Dead type of game with Resident Evil flavour and Revelations 2 i guess didn't have online coop or it was very barebones, with one character barely doing anything.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Told myself i wasn't buying anything this time then i woke up with all this shit bought.

Assassin's Creed Origins Gold Edition
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition: Faces of Good and Evil
Bio Inc. Redemption
Devil May Cry HD Collection
Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition
Dishonored 2
Divinity Original Sin: The Source Saga
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered
Life is Strange Complete Season (Episodes 1-5)
Pillars of Eternity: The White March Expansion Pass
Plague Inc: Evolved
Project Hospital
Project Hospital: Hospital Services
Quantum Break
Resident Evil 6 Complete
Resident Evil 7 Gold Edition
Rocksmith 2014 - Muse - Hysteria
Saints Row 2
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
Tales of Berseria
Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition
The Evil Within Season Pass
The Walking Dead: 400 Days
Tomb Raider: Adventure Pack
Vanquish
XCOM: Enemy Unknown Complete Pack

I learned a lot from this laundry list of crap you bought with zero added detail.

For example: Beamdog sells 6 (yes a grand total of SIX) character portraits for BG1 as a separate piece of DLC. The idea that anyone would be paying for character portraits for BG1 boggles my fucking mind given that there are two decades of fan-made portraits online at this point - and I say that as someone who liked and completed BG:EE so I could be the only poster on this entire forum that has a broadly positive view of Beamdog.

Squeenix sell a fucking "headshot reticule" for the first Tomb Raider reboot...and people buy it...

I also learned that Ubisoft are happy to sell (very expensive!) DLC for their games that apparently does not work at all

The absolute state of AAA gaming these days.

Got Assassin's Creed Origins Gold for less than $2 (yes game plus all expensive dlc). Baldur's Gate portraits are cool enough and i would like to support Beamdog. Tomb Raider pack has some nice bullshit like different skins, i mean, both BG portrais and Tomb Raider pack were less than 20 cents each.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I know how STEAM works.
I know how GOG works.
I sort of know how GAMERSGATE works.
I don't know how EPICGGAMES work.

I bet there are other stores to purchase from but on the latter two I guess they keep records of your purchases in a cloud account in case you get a new computer. Gamersgate doesn't seem to need SHIT like STEAM but dies EPIC Games. Trying to balance out which to buy from since not all sites carry what i want to try.

20 cents of support? The chinese make more than that with two posts defending China in the coronavirus thread.

Didn't want to support too much, just enough to ruin the gaming industry.

AIK only RE5 and RE6 have fully fledged coop campaign modes. Correct me if i'm mistaken but ORC is more of a Left 4 Dead type of game with Resident Evil flavour and Revelations 2 i guess didn't have online coop or it was very barebones, with one character barely doing anything.
2P is indeed asymetric with melee stuns instead of firearms, but while it's true that the game lacks online coop the splitscreen is still the full thing (including the Moira DLC). Easily one of the best AA+ "girlfriend games" for that reason and many others, though I still had a blast replaying solo later.

Regarding ORC it's obvious that the game was taking cues from the hyper-popularity of L4D but it still works as a story shooter with linear missions organised in a coherent campaign with dialogues, cutscenes and scripted setpieces.

I don't want to shill it too hard since its reputation as an ugly duckling is far from unwarranted, but if you skipped it because you expected a L4D structure it's actually more of a regular story-driven shooter.

I can only play online unfortunately, so i'll play Relevations 2 single player eventually for sure. Is the shooting better than the first? I liked the gameplay but the shooting sucks, has no impact at all, guess its one vestigial organ from its 3DS roots.

I didn't skip ORC, always had a mild interest but it just did not get cheap enough yet. I had a recent urge to play all RE after playing RE4, RE5 coop, REmake 2 and 3, which were all more or less great, with RE4 and REmake 2 being some of the GOATs, so i wanna play most of if not all of them but let's see when i get to the infamously bad ones if i can keep the pace, like RE 0 and 6.

I know how STEAM works.
I know how GOG works.
I sort of know how GAMERSGATE works.

I bet there are other stores to purchase from but on the latter two I guess they keep records of your purchases in a cloud account in case you get a new computer. Gamersgate doesn't seem to need SHIT like STEAM but dies EPIC Games. Trying to balance out which to buy from since not all sites carry what i want to try.
As far as I'm aware, Epic has a client like Steam (And GoG now I guess). Pretty sure the client needs to be running/launches when you try to play games bought from them. Gamersgate doesn't have an outright client but I seem to recall they have a funky method of downloading, or at least they used to. And that's just for games where they're selling you the game itself and not just spitting out a Steam key. So if Epic's use of a client doesn't bother you then as far as I'm aware that's the only hoop you have to jump through to run stuff from 'em.

Has it really turned around that much? I keep looking at it when it's on sale, but all the superfluous shit with the subscription and atom shop crap and deluxe editions ... make it look pretty garbage still.
Couldn't tell you if it's turned around since I haven't played until just now and I doubt I'll continue playing, but if you want to take a look at it on the cheap it's currently available on Windows game pass assuming you're running Windows 10. Can get a month of it for $1 and play everything on the service as long as you've got a subscription. And in Fallout 76's case I believe your characters/saves will carry over if you buy it elsewhere later since it's tied to your Bethesda account.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/pc-games

Crichton

Prophet
It's getting harder and harder to give a fuck about the sales but I still ended up with:

Total Warhammer: The Grim and the Grave DLC
War40K: Mechanicus: Heretek DLC
(absolute bloodsuckers, but I can't get enough of this GW-shit)

Prey / Dishonored II Bundle
(best level designers in the business, no holds barred)

and then since I was only a couple bucks short of $30, I sprung for

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
(I enjoyed giving normies a cybernetic boot up the ass that they didn't ask for in the first game)

Codex Year of the Donut
srgzr6gq6ui31.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom