Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghost of Tsushima - open world game set in feudal Japan

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, same feelings here. I am fed up with DDs and trailers where everything sounds well thought-out, but when you play the game it's Dumbification Simulator 2000

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I really like the aestethics, but it's probably not my genre anyway. The twitch melee combat games make me feel like Pavlov's dog - gameplay always boils down to memorizing the enemy animations and pressing the right button on time.

The DD says enemies are not "standing around waiting to be attacked", but unless my eyes decieve me, that is exactly what they do in the first clip. Three enemies surround the player, two others are in idling behind them.

You can see how they queue up their attacks, when one guy dual wielding swords performs his attack, then the other guy with two swords starts:

Sentinel

Arcane
I disagree on that clip. Player is focusing one guy, then a spear dude comes and flanks with a poke, which shifts the player's attention. Another sword guy charges him after he dispatches his original target, and when the player has his back turned on another enemy, that enemy immediately attacks the exposed player. It seems like they're balancing this act of having enemies try to attack the player if he has a flank exposed, instead of swarming him with 3 enemies at once (it's not very smart to attack the same target when you're wielding melee weapons the size of katanas btw, you'll probably end up killing your own mates in the mess)

However, I would not doubt for a second if that clip was doctored to conform to the text because, as you said, the previous gameplay segment looked ridiculous and enemies were way too passive.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I may be wrong about the specifics, but what I mean is that in the end I'd like to avoid the feeling of AssCreed combat from before Origins.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The twitch melee combat games make me feel like Pavlov's dog - gameplay always boils down to memorizing the enemy animations and pressing the right button on time.

Bad ones sure.
But if we are to be reductive you can say the same for tactical games - memorize enemy patterns and perform the appropriate set of inputs.

Häyhä

Arbiter
That's really interesting, seems like this guy knows his stuff. His content overall seems right up my alley so I'll definitely check out more of his videos. Thanks Mr. Button! :salute:

Seems like once again game developers claim "historical accuracy" as marketing speech, but it doesn't cut it when a real historian checks it out. It's not a huge problem for me personally, but it is kinda annoying. I think a lot of "historical games" suffer when developers shoe-horn in their contemporary, western morals and still claim they're going for historical accuracy. No you're not, you're making historical romanticism, be straight and honest about it.

I'm still interested in checking the game out because the setting is very interesting and I haven't really played any "AAA" games lately (last one I gave a shot was probably Red Dead Redemption 2 and it was a complete disappointment).

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's really interesting, seems like this guy knows his stuff.

He does. But in his Kingdom Come thoughts he said he prefers normie fantasy RPGs like Skyrim to inclined realistic ones like KCD. Which, for someone who constantly harps about realism in videogames, is a bit weird.

Häyhä

Arbiter
He does. But in his Kingdom Come thoughts he said he prefers normie fantasy RPGs like Skyrim to inclined realistic ones like KCD. Which, for someone who constantly harps about realism in videogames, is a bit weird.

I haven't played Kingdom Come and I'm only speculating, but it might be the case of preferring other things that aren't related to your every day work? I gather he's a serious history buff and a teacher/professor. If you work in the field every day, all day you might prefer some escapism (like fantasy) with your hobbies.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Skill Up doesn't really like the new Asscreed games so i suppose this will be a better take on opeworld stealth.

Still won't be dropping 70 bucks on this. But i will keep my eye on it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Read a few reviews. Seems like it's a pure immershun experience - visuals, music, style - with p. bad gameplay and quests that will bore you to tears if the vibe doesn't grip you.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL a lot of people are shilling for this game,it looks like it is a generic asscreed clone. All the reviews i saw looked really fake,they say that it looks amazing because it has different colours of grass and shit,also they are amazed that it has sidequests lol,oh and loot is amazing innovative feature:lol:.

Terenty

Liturgist
If Sony doesn't step up their game next gen they will become meme worthy the same way Ubisoft has with their generic annual turds

AwesomeButton

Patron
I disagree on that clip. Player is focusing one guy, then a spear dude comes and flanks with a poke, which shifts the player's attention. Another sword guy charges him after he dispatches his original target, and when the player has his back turned on another enemy, that enemy immediately attacks the exposed player. It seems like they're balancing this act of having enemies try to attack the player if he has a flank exposed, instead of swarming him with 3 enemies at once (it's not very smart to attack the same target when you're wielding melee weapons the size of katanas btw, you'll probably end up killing your own mates in the mess)

However, I would not doubt for a second if that clip was doctored to conform to the text because, as you said, the previous gameplay segment looked ridiculous and enemies were way too passive.
Looking at the Skill Up review (~18:20) the way enemies wait for you to finish one in order for the next one to attack is hilariously bad.

All around this looks like something I would pick up just because of the atmosphere and hopefully the writing. Provided it ever comes out on PC of course.

Edit: look at that crazy rolling around in full armor. I'm sure the combat styles are very authentic :lol:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Looking at the Skill Up review (~18:20) the way enemies wait for you to finish one in order for the next one to attack is hilariously bad.

All around this looks like something I would pick up just because of the atmosphere and hopefully the writing. Provided it ever comes out on PC of course.

Edit: look at that crazy rolling around in full armor. I'm sure the combat styles are very authentic :lol:
It is a shame that he shilled up,pretty decent popamole reviewer. The game is solid 6/10 for sure,a well done but generic open world asscreed clone.

ADL

Prophet
Shame this is an exclusive I'd pay $60 for it. The lack of HUD and emphasis on exploration is pure
incline.png

Imagine if the Way of the Samurai series had these kinds of production values.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom