Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Erikkolai

Learned
Can it be played as a single player game?

I played it a couple of years ago. The 'Solo-Only Story Order' section here should still be valid.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I just started Shadows of Revan with my first toon, a LS Jedi Consular, havin' played through his class story, RotHC and Oricon.

Game is certainly odd. It should have been single player, and from what I've heard 'bout some other class storylines (especially Jedi Knight) it shows more there than in mine. I've also heard that Jedi Consular supposedly sucks balls, but I was quite happy with his journey. I got to do, ya know, Jedi stuff: diplomacy, healing, negotiating. Nice, felt like a Jedi for once, not a murderhobo with a deadly flashlight.

distant

Learned
How long does it take to run through the basic character story in the base game? Also does it require much grind? Did a little bit of the Imperial Agent with a friend and it was actually pretty cool, if it doesn't require that much time investment might be worth a play through.

urmom

Learned
How far has technology advanced in SW canon since the days of KOTOR?

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
How long does it take to run through the basic character story in the base game? Also does it require much grind? Did a little bit of the Imperial Agent with a friend and it was actually pretty cool, if it doesn't require that much time investment might be worth a play through.
It took me a week of playin' to be done with it, mind you I did some side stuff, like some planetary stories (not all of them by any means). Chapter 1 is the most borin' shit on this good Earth, even though conceptually it's nice, Chapters 2 and 3 are much shorter and overall better, latter Chapters are next expansions. Rise of the Hutt Cartel was funny and cartoony on purpose I presume, as of now Shadows of Revan
shits all over KotOR and it's glorious to witness, just how inane it is story-wise
. Imperial Agent storyline is AFAIK the best one or top #3 at the very least, so I'm savin' it for the last.

EDIT: As for grind. You can avoid much of it. There are very few quests which need you to go there, kill boars and bring me their dicks. Most of the grind is optional, and if you play it smart (like doin' at least a few Heroic quests) you can grab some experience boosts and go outlevelin' stuff pretty quickly. Whole game is scaled, but outlevelin' mobs helps quite a bit from what I gather.

It don't add up, Cap'n.
As far as I know Jedi Knight feels like your typical movie Jedi (Luke or his papa) - you go 'round killin' stuff and bein' a badass. Consular voiced by exceptionally stoic Nolan North feels like a proper, philosophically trained Jedi on the other hand (ALL IS ONE WITH THE FORCE constantly is pretty corny but I love it). AFAIK it's acknowledged in some later expansion that Knight is, yeah, a great hero and all, but a pretty shitty Jedi - which was true for Luke and for Anakin, so it adds up.

On the other hand Consular story is crafted explicitly for LS playthrough (and a Sage subclass), I don't see how one could go DS and don't experience some nasty cognitive dissonance.

EDIT: I would never recommend playin' this game unsubbed. Just don't do it to yourself. I saw it, it's horrible.

EDIT2: I think I should clarify. Combat is shit.

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Since when does SW technology advance at all? Is KotOR any different technology wise to the movies? :lol:
No, it's not. Technology differs between the prequels and original trilogy though. That's 'bout it.

There are 8 classes you know. If you want to complete all their stories, it will add up.
You, it appears, can safely ignore some classes. Jedi Knight + Jedi Consular + Sith Inquisitor + Imperial Agent should together show the whole basic story. After that, in the expansions, it's basically the same with different flavourin'.

Drelkag

Novice

If you put a few hours a day into it you can a story done in under a month even casually. They changed it so you don't need to do side quests to keep up level wise.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
You, it appears, can safely ignore some classes. Jedi Knight + Jedi Consular + Sith Inquisitor + Imperial Agent should together show the whole basic story. After that, in the expansions, it's basically the same with different flavourin'.

Oh you should NOT ignore Sith Warrior. The story is both relatively good and contains key elements of the metaplot. BH, Trooper and Smuggler yeah, can be ignored as far as the game's main story goes. But if you want to learn their own stories...

Codex Year of the Donut
light-side sith warrior is one of the best ones in the entire game.
trooper storyline was my favorite, and the first companion you get is also my favorite.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
I finished Shadow of Revan. It was shit. No need to hide that in a spoiler I think. So now Knights of the Fallen Empire starts.

Jesus Christ, they so wanted to make a single player KotOR3, KotFE just screams it (I just started Chapter 4 so I'm pretty early in the story I guess). And imagine that, just from the get go it's much better than the base game (save for primary class storyline). Or perhaps EA just lost interest and let them do whatever the fuck they wanted, both options are possible.

EDIT: And, of course, what was bad is still bad. Combat is terrible. Really.

Codex Year of the Donut
I finished Shadow of Revan. It was shit. No need to hide that in a spoiler I think. So now Knights of the Fallen Empire starts.

Jesus Christ, they so wanted to make a single player KotOR3, KotFE just screams it (I just started Chapter 4 so I'm pretty early in the story I guess). And imagine that, just from the get go it's much better than the base game (save for primary class storyline). Or perhaps EA just lost interest and let them do whatever the fuck they wanted, both options are possible.

EDIT: And, of course, what was bad is still bad. Combat is terrible. Really.
Shadow of revan was indeed pretty crap. Didn't like it at all sans a few quests(especially the last hurrah of class quests)
I really liked KotFE/KotET, seems you either like it or hate it. I thought it was basically kotor 3, great stuff.
BTW, the cinematics for it are all top notch and easily some of the best star wars film-related stuff made in a long time.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
I really liked KotFE/KotET, seems you either like it or hate it. I thought it was basically kotor 3, great stuff.
BTW, the cinematics for it are all top notch and easily some of the best star wars film-related stuff made in a long time.
KotFE cinematic had more character development than the sequel trilogy.

Codex Year of the Donut
There's still quite a few more.
BTW your choices do have consequences now, much moreso than before, so you might want to put extra thought into your choices as you can't go back to change them.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

True that. And I think KotFE/KotET were horrible railroaded stories about the Valkorions, Lana and Theron, with their sidekick minion the Commander.

Codex Year of the Donut

True that. And I think KotFE/KotET were horrible railroaded stories about the Valkorions, Lana and Theron, with their sidekick minion the Commander.
I didn't play a force user so I guess some of it makes more sense when you aren't the jedi knight etc.,

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

I didn't play a force user so I guess some of it makes more sense when you aren't the jedi knight etc.,

I don't think so. Lana and Theron pushing you around despite you being their "boss" will not be any less jarring if you're not Force-sensitive, and all the Force-related plot elements will become *more* jarring. The entire premise of "remember how we started the game's story by pulling off a hidden empire strong enough to challenge the galactic status quo? now we'll do it again" is stretching credibility and making me unable to suspend my disbelief. And finally, the Inquisitor would just have Valks stand in line behind all the other troublesome Force ghosts in his head. First come, first served.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
gave this a shot because everyone's talking about how the story is good or whatever. decided to play imperial agent where quests are like "infiltrate this cunt's room and wire tap the place" or "spy and get info on x" or "sneakily plant explosives in this mine shaft and blame it on republic". Cool, sweet, I'm like, james bond or whatever, sounds sick.

Then, every GOD DAMN motherFUJCKINg time, I see this bullshit:

9891nW4.png

yeah, james bond my ASS "bonus objective: kill 2000 enemies in base ur secretly infiltrating LOL xDDDD"
I'm sure cunt won't realize that her room's wire tapped after walking past a hallway of dead bodyguards and a room full of blood. totally not suspicious at all.

why does every god damn game in this
SHIT ASS DEAD
genre need to bloat playtime with nonstop hordes of absolute meaningless trash combat around every corner? No, I don't need to be fighting every 5 seconds thank you very much. KOTOR 1 and 2 were like, 30% combat and even that was TOO MUCH. This trash ass shit is like 70% combat 29% running around in big circles and every now and then you get 1% of some story progression. I don't care if you're motherfucking SHAKESPHERE
william-shakespeare---the-life-of-the-bard.jpg

no story is worth this bullcrap.
fuck this game and fuck you for recommending this trash

then there's the whole deliberately making every fucking mission a 30 mile journey from the quest giver and back then having popups like "hey bro wanna save time? sub so u can unlock mount early LOL xDDD"

0/10

FUCK

YOU

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:
ph_024_008_pw1.jpg

some years ago, every trash mob encounter took 2-3 full rotations, and to advance through the story you had to do all the planet quests, all the secondary quests and lots of other content just not to be underleveled. can't say the game didn't improve. by cutting two thirds of gametime.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
So, I’m done with Knights of the Fallen Empire. Game didn’t bother with foreplay and went immediately into Knights of the Eternal Throne, which suits the story I guess. I’m not sure what I think about it. It’s a given that here they just said: Look, we really wanted to make a single player cRPG set in KotOR era (roughly), but no one gave us money or resources so we made this. Enjoy. This being still TOR hurts in every possible way. Combat is terrible and they had no idea how to fix it. Engine is clearly unsuited for big, expansive cinematics – some work, some don’t. Still, story is good. It really is better than I thought it would be. It has some pure filler chapters (13, 14 and so on, chapter next to the last two ones, pure paddin’), it has some cringe (Darth Marr and Satele Shan encounter was weird), some blatant fanservice (Republic Commando soundtrack hell yeah), yet still it tries to tell a coherent narrative – and that’s nice all by itself. Storyline fits with my Consular really smoothly. He was a negotiator and a leader before Zakuul so him assumin' position and title of the Commander is only logical. I have completely no idea how this plot makes any sense if you don’t play a Force user.

EDIT: I went and confirmed some dates. KotFE is from 2015. DA: Inquisition is from 2014 and Mass Effect 3 from 2012. Fuckin' MMO expansion has better plot than these two games, my sides.

EDIT2: What's more, some people complain that this story doesn't feel like a Star Wars story. Well. I guess they are correct. It doesn't. If not for the Force and killer flashlights you could mistake it for some other generic space fantasy. I gather that if player doesn't play a Jedi or a Sith himself then only big encounter with these two is Satele/Darth Marr encounter. And Lana, but she's a pretty shitty Sith to be honest.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
EDIT: I went and confirmed some dates. KotFE is from 2015. DA: Inquisition is from 2014 and Mass Effect 3 from 2012. Fuckin' MMO expansion has better plot than these two games, my sides.
People think I'm crazy when I say SWTOR has some of Bioware's last good writing :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom