Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The best Avernum?

Jo498

Learned
One could dual wield already in Exile I but there were heavy penalties until a certain lvl of weapon skill.
I never got into the Avernum remakes, disliked graphics and interface (but the re-remake of Escape from the pit is at least better than the first remake) and I am not too fond of the changes for Avernum 4-6 either, but 5 and 6 (although I am not sure I finished either, but got pretty close) are fairly good although they never had the "magic" of the original exiles for me. Avernum 4 is rather poor, has the poorest story, I think, and overall seems like a first, but not quite successful try to mold Avernum with Geneforge-style.
Overall, my favorites are the first three Exile games with only marginal preferences.
Exile III has the biggest world and some very nice additions (many optional missions, timed jobs for the surface towns, one timed big event in the main storyline) but to me it already feels somewhat generic and a re-hash of the earlier games (something that plagues all the later games of that series, I think, even the ones that are not remakes). I also love Exile I with that huge world to discover for the first time and the combination of the guided beginning and open continuation of Exile II. I also liked the riddle dungeons, exasperating as some of those pillar rooms were.

almondblight

Arcane
Yeah, the Exile games were great and I wish Vogel had stuck with the engine and made Exile IV. Though i's hard for me to get into Exile I these days - you pretty much don't get any quests in the first couple of towns, people just tell you to go around killing monsters if you feel like it. Exile II is a pretty big improvement - not only does it start you off with a mission to take out the nephilim, but you have the sneak attack that happens as soon as you try to leave (the chief leaving a map to the base, which is a nice touch). There are also a lot more spells compared to the first game, and it introduces multiple races.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Hark to mondblut. He's 100% right.
Exile was a very fine game too, though.

The graphics is also hideously bad too.
Fuck you. Exile 3 graphics > Avernum graphics.

At 4 - 6, it's been switched to the Geneforge engine (amirite? I'm sure 6 is)
Originally it was engine of flopped Nethergate.

I think I'll conclude that 6 is worth to play, as I firmly believe game sequels are always better than the older ones
You are moron. Continue to play your Fallout 3, Ultima IX, M&M9 and EoB3.

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Exile III may have been an objectively better game, but I prefer II because the Underdark is, to me, a much more interesting setting than yet another surface world.

Jo498

Learned
I also prefer the underworld (and I think tha Exile III feels somewhat generic despite some improved features) but when I played Exile III for the first time in 1997 or so, I had never seen the old Ultimas or similar games with a huge surface world, so I could really feel with the exiles seeing the sun again and the surface world felt even larger than the twisty tunnels of exile. For whatever reason I also think that the early Exile games, retro graphics and all, captured that "tunnel feeling" better than Avernum 4-6.

mondblut

Arcane
Speaking of Exile, I just installed Basilisk II with MacOS 7.5.5, and running Exile there seems to be more convenient than installing Win3.1 in dosbox, and faster than launching XP virtual machine. Lost and forgotten mid-90s Macintosh-exclusive RPGs (the whole 2 of you), here I come!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Avernum 6 is the best game because of Solberg,i have seen his whole journey throughout the games and he went down like a total boss. A man among men,it is shame that i couldn't kill all the fucking soyboy cunts in the fort that were mocking him and talking shit! A man can only hope that his death could be that epic :) .

For the newest re-remakes i would recommend Avernum:escape from the pit,it is most fun to explore and it is the simplest. It doesn't have any epic missions,it is mainly about exploration and cleaning the cavern from the big evils. It has the most dragons to kill also. And the main quest is about vengeance.

The third one is not that much different from the rest really,it just have more green and trees. She is good if you get tired of replaying the same caverns. After all the map is the same in Avernum 1,2,4 and 6.

The best possible thing that you can do is play them all. It is not like there are any nu games worth a while coming out soon. The closest possibly good game is PoE2 and it is coming in a month. Just begin with Avernum:Escape from the pit and if you get hooked you will endup playing the rest.

Falksi

Arcane
Avernum 6 is the best game because of Solberg,i have seen his whole journey throughout the games and he went down like a total boss. A man among men,it is shame that i couldn't kill all the fucking soyboy cunts in the fort that were mocking him and talking shit! A man can only hope that his death could be that epic :) .

For the newest re-remakes i would recommend Avernum:escape from the pit,it is most fun to explore and it is the simplest. It doesn't have any epic missions,it is mainly about exploration and cleaning the cavern from the big evils. It has the most dragons to kill also. And the main quest is about vengeance.

The third one is not that much different from the rest really,it just have more green and trees. She is good if you get tired of replaying the same caverns. After all the map is the same in Avernum 1,2,4 and 6.

The best possible thing that you can do is play them all. It is not like there are any nu games worth a while coming out soon. The closest possibly good game is PoE2 and it is coming in a month. Just begin with Avernum:Escape from the pit and if you get hooked you will endup playing the rest.

I've just started playing EFTP now and I'm struggling to get drawn in tbh. Only early days yet, but the text & dialogue feel a bit too old school for my tastes - essentially clicking on a loop of text with no real sense of C&C.

Does it continue like that? (I'm at the first "City" you get to, and have just bought my first set of weapons/armour). Much like The Witcher 3, I just switch off if all the dialogue isn't really interactive.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I've just started playing EFTP now and I'm struggling to get drawn in tbh. Only early days yet, but the text & dialogue feel a bit too old school for my tastes - essentially clicking on a loop of text with no real sense of C&C.

Does it continue like that? (I'm at the first "City" you get to, and have just bought my first set of weapons/armour). Much like The Witcher 3, I just switch off if all the dialogue isn't really interactive.
You get what you see,if you don't get in to the game,well ok. Different people different tastes. There is some kind of C&C in Spiderweb games,but it is more of what faction you chose to support and which quests you finish. Dialogues is the same in every game,in geneforge it effects your reputation with the factions that have opposing philosophies,but no real C&C in the dialogue.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Isnt Avernum 1 the best Avernum? I thought that Spiderweb games decreased in quality with each sequels released. A1 was solid I dont see how the others can top it even though I havent played them yet.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Isnt Avernum 1 the best Avernum? I thought that Spiderweb games decreased in quality with each sequels released. A1 was solid I dont see how the others can top it even though I havent played them yet.
Avernum 6 is the best. Instead of trolling the codex you should go and play the rest.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'm playing Avernum 2, some years back I played the re-remake of 2... and already it seems very different. In the re-remake I don't remember going into Vahnatai lands via boat after a tunnel from Formello - instead i think the spirit appearance in Formello just gives you quests directly??

Am I remembering wrong or did the re-remake cut a whole section??? lol

amurath

Educated
I actually prefer Avernum 3 (or its recent remake). While 1 and 2 are nice, I like the dynamic nature of Avernum 3 where cities get destroyed if you spend too much time fooling around. Of course, it is really an Avernum game if you mostly explore the surface rather than the underground?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm playing Avernum 2, some years back I played the re-remake of 2... and already it seems very different. In the re-remake I don't remember going into Vahnatai lands via boat after a tunnel from Formello - instead i think the spirit appearance in Formello just gives you quests directly??

Am I remembering wrong or did the re-remake cut a whole section??? lol
In the last iteration you do go trough a bunch of tunnels in to Alien land.

xuerebx

Erudite
Exile / Escape from the Pit

Yeah I enjoyed EftP the most from the first three games (I've played the remakes up until now, but don't think I'll ever play the originals). I've raked up 147 hours on EftP and 90 hours on Crystal Souls, but only managed 35 hours on Ruined World. I just find the underworld infinitely more interesting than the normal world.

Also Vogel's games suffer from sameness. You get burned out if you don't leave some years between each game IMO.

Vatnik
This time I'm playing with a fighter, mage, and two mage/clerics. I spammed summons in some fights (hardest difficulty can get your front man killed in 1 round sometimes) until I realised - the kills your summons get don't give you XP! :negative:

Vatnik
The new tactix I'm exploying, which I didn't employ palying Avernum 1 last year, is slowing enemies and double-casting the damage resistance buff on the fighter. I didn't know some buffs stack with themselves....

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I always go with a melee,archer,cleric and a mage,never had real problems with the enemy. You don't have enough points to do dual caster class in my experience. Also the starting traits are different for a mage and a cleric.

xuerebx

Erudite
If you want to have an easier time, go for two mages. Starts out a bit harder but by mid game you'll be able to trash most enemies. As for archery, I just give a few points to my fighter and sometimes to my casters (for early game), but never invested in a pure archer.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If you want to have an easier time, go for two mages. Starts out a bit harder but by mid game you'll be able to trash most enemies. As for archery, I just give a few points to my fighter and sometimes to my casters (for early game), but never invested in a pure archer.
Pure archer is good,you frequently get two attacks because of the high dex or some other skill,depending on the game. I personally have never even tried throwing spears or two handed weapons.

Vatnik
tvbYYOw.png

:shredder:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom