Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian...what happened?

I have fond memories of Fallout New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2, but their recent games are all mediocre to low. Especially the writing department has gone so far down hill that it's unreal. The stories in Pillars games make very little sense, and now we have this thing...the Outerworlds. I'm not even sure what to say about that. So soulless and boring...

PS: They also probably have the most toxic fanboys all around. The Pillars forums are filled with regulars (by regulars I mean they are ALWAYS there) who would swarm you if you bring up any sort of negative things about their beloved games.

Gregz

Arcane

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I have fond memories of Fallout New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2, but their recent games are all mediocre to low. Especially the writing department has gone so far down hill that it's unreal. The stories in Pillars games make very little sense

??? PoE1 story was made sense bro and it was good. idk about poe2 tho haven't played that yet. Tyranny was kinda meh but I wouldn't call it bad

but yea fuck rick and morty in space outer worlds obviously but we all knew that was gonna be shit from the first trailer but you should have known the target audience for that game was
redditors
long before it even released so that one's ur fault bitch

bb3f73690fa829eb87270d79e7b06d43.jpg

Butter

Arcane
Patron
All their talent left the company between 2010 and 2015. They had names like John Gonzalez, George Ziets, and Chris Avellone writing their games. Now they have blue checkmarks.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The only good Obsidian game I ever played was SWKotOR II. Neverwinter Nights 2 is inferior to the original and New Vegas is dogshit.

I loved NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer more than anything in NWN1. And the biggest problem with New Vegas was the shit game engine they were forced to use.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
They burnt through all the people who made those games what they were and simultaneously became much more conservative with their design after being terrified of their reputation for bugs.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Most of the talent left, and all the new talent were fanboys. Thus, they are not interested in criticizing the work of what talent remains nor do they have the talent to write and design, they are merely copycats of the better staff.

purupuru

Learned
Some good people left and those remain learned from their past "mistakes" and try to do all the "safe" things.
I think I died a little inside when I read Sawyer boasting about how he shuts down ideas from young people whenever he thinks it would be cumbersome to implement. "You like Beyond the Beef? But you see that kind of quest is too much effort, I am too fucking experienced now to make that mistake again LOL."

Some good people left and those remain learned from their past "mistakes" and try to do all the "safe" things.
I think I died a little inside when I read Sawyer boasting about how he shuts down ideas from young people whenever he thinks it would be cumbersome to implement. "You like Beyond the Beef? But you see that kind of quest is too much effort, I am too fucking experienced now to make that mistake again LOL."

Wtf happened to Sawyer? Was he always such an asshole or did he turn into an SJW and/or fag (as others have mentioned)? To think I liked him at some point....(for Fallout New Vegas)

I have fond memories of Fallout New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2, but their recent games are all mediocre to low. Especially the writing department has gone so far down hill that it's unreal. The stories in Pillars games make very little sense

??? PoE1 story was made sense bro and it was good. idk about poe2 tho haven't played that yet. Tyranny was kinda meh but I wouldn't call it bad

but yea fuck rick and morty in space outer worlds obviously but we all knew that was gonna be shit from the first trailer but you should have known the target audience for that game was
redditors
long before it even released so that one's ur fault bitch

Well, I think it's pretty funny that your post is full of typos and grammatical errors. The thing that you think is well written most likely isn't.

urmom

Learned
I only played Kotor 2, FNV and the Pillars games. They were all kind of on the boring side. None really grabbed me and forced me to become immersed. You could say the first two games inherited shitty game engines I guess. Can't really complain about the PoE engine, other than ridiculous loading times.

I may skip buying any future games of theirs since I got so burned bored the first few times.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I still haven't finished the main quest, but Pillars White March is really fucking good. Probably the best thing out of the Kickstarter RPGs I've played. I did hear Pillars II is really bad and so is Outer Worlds. New Vegas is definitely GoAT game Obsidian has made, and easily in the top RPGs ever made, if not the best.

I will say that vanilla Pillars is on the boring side. It's alright but nothing really sticks out. White March is the best thing about it.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Wtf happened to Sawyer? Was he always such an asshole or did he turn into an SJW and/or fag (as others have mentioned)? To think I liked him at some point....(for Fallout New Vegas)
Is it just me or does it feel like Fallout New Vegas really caused a huge transition for them? That was the last time Avellone and Sawyer looked cool at all. Nowadays they look like two huge cucks.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
All their talent left the company between 2010 and 2015. They had names like John Gonzalez, George Ziets, and Chris Avellone writing their games. Now they have blue checkmarks.
That doesn't explain the Outer Worlds, though. Pretty sure everyone here was raving the fuck out of the game.

Darkforge

Augur
The only games I ever played to completion from Obsidian and liked was KOTOR2 and MOTB. Fallout NV is really overrated. Oh and I did finish POE to take a save into POEII and it was one of the most boring RPG experiences I have ever played. Then continued to flush POEII and play Kingmaker in turn-based mode instead. Then now, we get the Cuck worlds.... eww.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Doesn't find his job fulfilling anymore, so he seeks fulfillment in the cultural wars.

Not unlike a lot of Codexers, actually, just on a different side.

Last edited:

TheGameSquid

Scholar
Probably a pretty controversial thing to say around here, but I really thought POE2 had potential. I definitely liked it a lot more than POE1. Yes, the writing in the second game was probably even worse than POE1 (every time a character said 'ekera' I was ready to blow my brains out), but I liked the renewed focus on exploration, and the new setting had a lot of potential. I liked it most when I wasn't following the main plotline. Plus, while the new turn-based mode isn't the best thing ever, I'll still take it over RTwP any time of the day. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd probably buy a third POE game if they went more in this direction even further.

White March wasn't half bad either. Still not great, but enjoyable. Can't say anything about the POE2 DLC cause it looked a bit shit.

Otherwise I enjoyed most of their games up to a certain degree:
  • Vanilla NWN2 was ok in a comfort-food kind of way, and the two expansions were pretty good
  • SWKOTOR II was pretty great IMO, despite its painful dev cycle
  • Alpha Protocol has some really great moments hidden in the jank
  • Fallout: NV is just a flat-out great game IMO, if you can stomach the problems with the engine
  • Dungeon Siege III should probably just be forgotten
  • South Park is not much of an RPG, but an enjoyable romp to play through in a weekend

I haven't played Tyranny or The Outer Worlds yet, but those don't look too great. I will probably get around to them eventually.

TheGameSquid

Scholar

Sounds like Josh still has some PTSD from the Icewind Dale II dev cycle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom