Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is cyberpunk 2077 going to be good

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
That is true and basically the point I'm making. Well, except for this part:

An OS is a tool. So either you just don't know how to use the tool

Linux cultutists have a bad habit of blaming the user or accusing them of being retarded when they can't get the experience they want. That's not true in most cases and they need to stop this shit. There was really no reason for you to bring that up.

So yes, Linux is a bad choice for the needs of gamers and most power users and that's what I'm getting at when I say Linux sucks. Even if they did get game performance and the number of titles on Linux to be comparable to Windows it would only be that way for Ubuntu based distros with the way things are going right now and I fucking hate Ubuntu and the distros based on it so I'd still complain in that case.

Melcar

Arcane
Well it's still true, you either don't know how to use it (or don't care to fiddle with it) or it just does not fit your needs. Not my fault someone is a retard or if they simply prefer how Windows handles a certain function (be it games or anything else).
Plenty of people dual boot Linux and Windows. They use each OS as a tool for their various needs and to accommodate their own style of computer usage.

mk0

Learned
Linux cultutists have a bad habit of blaming the user or accusing them of being retarded when they can't get the experience they want. That's not true in most cases and they need to stop this shit.
Windows users have a bad habit of getting butthurt when Linux users come out and say they're having a good experience with their choice of OS.

Really, I've had a good time playing through recently released AAA games on Linux for the past year, maybe you're just doing it wrong. Compatibility has only improved since then with support for windows media formats and anti-cheat getting patches in recently.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
There is literally nothing I do on Windows that Linux does better and I'm not just a gamer. I do a lot more than play games. In my case Linux can be fun to fool around with and it's nice to know that it's more secure and not constantly phoning home to Microsoft with my data, but dual booting isn't worth it. If I'm watching a video or browsing the web and suddenly decide I want to play a game, I don't want to have to boot into another OS. I just want to open the game and leave the other stuff I was doing running in the background. The small benefits I mentioned aren't worth it.

Then there's the problems that are just the nature of Linux that I don't like. I'll compare Arch and Mint here as an example. Mint is mostly fine. I like Cinnamon. It's my DE of choice. What I don't like is their out of date repos and apt. If I want software that's actually up to date then I have to add different PPAs for every single application that I install and iirc that also included my proprietary video card drivers too. That shit is gay. I shouldn't have to go through all that. In Windows I can just go download an exe or msi file and it's over with. No thinking or googling for PPAs or command line required. Yes, there are gui options for adding PPAs but those are just as bad if not worse. If the Linux devs weren't a bunch of tribalist fucks with no care for the user experience it could be the same on Linux, but instead you have rpm vs .deb files and neither really works the same as the Windows package manager, which is superior in it's simplicity and the way in which it lets the user know what it's doing (in my opinion). They've tried to make this better with other solutions that are kind of like an app store since the Mandrake days but those solutions suck. I don't want to have to use a walled garden on my OS or fiddle with shit to add other repos to their gui.

Then you have Arch. Rolling distros can be nice. The repos are a lot more up to date and you don't have to worry about major upgrades to the OS since it just updates all the time. Shit also breaks constantly because of it which sucks. So it becomes a pick your poison situation. Personally I prefer Manjaro in this case because they hold updates back a week from what Arch gets to make sure they don't break shit and you still have access to the AUR which is vastly superior to dealing with PPAs and Pacman beats the shit out of apt imo. Still sucks for me because of all the other reasons I've mentioned in this thread though and Steam is a bitch on Arch based distros. Everything Valve does is with debian or ubuntu in mind and you run into issues using steam on Arch based distros that you won't have with Ubuntu based.

Really, I've had a good time playing through recently released AAA games on Linux for the past year, maybe you're just doing it wrong. Compatibility has only improved since then with support for windows media formats and anti-cheat getting patches in recently.

If you're using proton or some other workaround to play Windows games in Linux that shit is gay. I'm glad it works for you but most users don't want to fool with that shit. They want native ports that have all the same features and hit the same frames per second as the Windows versions.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you're a power user who plays games or does certain other complicated things then Linux sucks for you. A lot. I've used Linux on and off since 2003 and it still sucks. Its gotten better in some ways, but its still shit.

I consider myself a power user. What kinds of certain other complicated things do you find work better on Windows?

Windows package manager, which is superior in it's simplicity and the way in which it lets the user know what it's doing (in my opinion).

Windows has a machine-level package manager? On the Windows side of things I'm only familiar with NuGet, but that's not machine-level. How does it compare to mainstream Linux ones? Does it handle OS, application, driver and firmware updates? If the package manager maintainer (I assume Microsoft?) isn't providing updates as quickly as you want, how does Windows handle it that's better than PPAs? Last time I used Windows outside of work, you had to manually check all your hardware manufacturer's websites to check for driver/firmware updates.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I consider myself a power user. What kinds of certain other complicated things do you find work better on Windows?

I've already mentioned how games get better frame rates on Windows than even native Linux ports, so there's one thing off the bat. I've had issues losing connection to my NAS on Linux and having to remount (I can't remember if this was with just Arch or if it was a problem with Mint too). Some of the software I use in Windows doesn't have a Linux equivalent such as waifu2x-caffe which I'm using as part of the process of ripping the individual frames from old anime episodes to PNG files and then using the waifu 2x AI to upscale and denoise the frames before converting back to video. Linux doesn't do everything I need it to do and the things it can do it just does worse. I could honestly go on all day about it but nothing will convince Linux cultists that their operating system just isn't as good for most things as Windows. I won't deny that Linux has niche things that it excels at but none of them are things that the average home user is going to be doing or even most power users.

Windows has a machine-level package manager? On the Windows side of things I'm only familiar with NuGet, but that's not machine-level. How does it compare to mainstream Linux ones? Does it handle OS, application, driver and firmware updates? If the package manager maintainer (I assume Microsoft?) isn't providing updates as quickly as you want, how does Windows handle it that's better than PPAs? Last time I used Windows outside of work, you had to manually check all your hardware manufacturer's websites to check for driver/firmware updates.

I probably used the wrong term here. I'm just comparing exe/msi to .deb and .rpm. With software installation in Windows I can see where the files are going and have options to change where they go if I want as well and options for where they are going in the start menu. In Linux all of that is obfuscated and I have less choice which I dislike. I had to spend a lot of time learning the directory structure of Linux just to figure out where shit goes and I never had to do with with Windows. I was able to learn that stuff naturally just through using it and paying attention to what the installers tell me. This is aside from the fact that there isn't a standard that all distros can use. If there's not a .deb or .rpm (whichever you need) and the software you want isn't in the repos for your distro, you are pretty much screwed unless you want to compile shit yourself or jump through other hoops. Thank god for Arch and the AUR which makes that shit a lot less painful but it's still worse than just downloading an exe or msi file on Windows. Most of my Windows software keeps it's self up to date or alerts me when there are updates so I don't need something like a Linux package manager to handle all of my software for me and it comes direct from whoever makes the software instead of relying on someone else to keep the repos updated.

only games that don't work on linux are ones that require rootkits aka shit like easy anti-cheat
Just a couple of minutes of looking at the Proton compatibility list shows this is bullshit and even if this was the case not being able to play games that have anti-cheat is bad enough. I checked on a few of my recently played games and Persona 4 was the only one rated better than silver. I don't want to fool around making shit work on an OS that it wasn't made for anyway. I just want to play my games. Having to fool around with shit to make it work is only fun for people who like stroking their e-peen. Most people want things to "just work". Aside from that who knows how much of a performance hit you're taking by using something like proton. I haven't run any tests myself but if native Linux ports perform worse than native Windows versions I can only imagine that using something like Wine or Proton is at least slightly worse than a native port would be in the performance department.

https://www.protondb.com/

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
only games that don't work on linux are ones that require rootkits aka shit like easy anti-cheat

This will soon be a thing of the past. There is a new proposed system for the linux kernel that if merged will be used by WINE to solve the antihack/denuvo compatibility issues once and for all.

There is also a merge proposal for fsync2, which will improve performance in WINE even more.

Last but not least, some interesting extensions were added in Vulkan recently that will make DXVK and VKD3D much better.

All in all, i expect Proton to be much more compatible and much faster in the next 6-12 months.

Semiurge

Cipher
Linux: from the developers to the developers. They have a diametrically opposed attitude to that of Microsoft concerning user agency. If Linux based OS's ever became a serious threat to Microsoft, they'd just sabotage them like they did Netscape. However, Microsoft is self-sabotaging Windows just nicely nowadays, trying to mimic MacOS's, making everything cloud based and making budget cuts in the wrong places (devs, testers).

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Linux: from the developers to the developers. They have a diametrically opposed attitude to that of Microsoft concerning user agency. If Linux based OS's ever became a serious threat to Microsoft, they'd just sabotage them like they did Netscape. However, Microsoft is self-sabotaging Windows just nicely nowadays, trying to mimic MacOS's, making everything cloud based and making budget cuts in the wrong places (devs, testers).

Actually, Microsoft is planning to turn Windows into a Linux distro with Microsoft stuff on top of it in the future.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Actually, Microsoft is planning to turn Windows into a Linux distro with Microsoft stuff on top of it in the future.

I can only assume that you think this because you are very confused about what the Windows Subsystem for Linux is and what it's purpose is. If that's not the case then I'm going to need some evidence.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I can only assume that you think this because you are very confused about what the Windows Subsystem for Linux is and what it's purpose is. If that's not the case then I'm going to need some evidence.

Not really, i am not refering to this. There is plenty of evidence for that but i am not going to list them here, if you disagree it's fine, you are going to be using a Linux distro named Windows in the not so distant future anyway, whether you believe me or not is irrelevant.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've already mentioned how games get better frame rates on Windows than even native Linux ports, so there's one thing off the bat.

Yes, and no. Most native Linux ports get done by third parties. Take Firaxis for example. All their native Linux ports were done by either Aspyr or Feral. The main teams at Firaxis are completely focused on making the Windows version work as well as possible and probably only think about Linux when the port team needs something to make the game work.

If you take some examples from Valve, who are creating the Linux versions in-house, you'll see that the performance is either the same (https://flightlessmango.com/benchmarks/LfE_EQQvD5o) or better (https://flightlessmango.com/benchmarks/F2xv7n0gklw) than the Windows version. Nowadays you're even starting to see that games running through Wine are outperforming the game running on Windows (https://flightlessmango.com/benchmarks/h-XnlUMfkjM).

Some of the software I use in Windows doesn't have a Linux equivalent such as waifu2x-caffe which I'm using as part of the process of ripping the individual frames from old anime episodes to PNG files and then using the waifu 2x AI to upscale and denoise the frames before converting back to video. Linux doesn't do everything I need it to do and the things it can do it just does worse. I could honestly go on all day about it but nothing will convince Linux cultists that their operating system just isn't as good for most things as Windows. I won't deny that Linux has niche things that it excels at but none of them are things that the average home user is going to be doing or even most power users.

When it comes to software compatibility, especially for proprietary software, Windows is king. I won't deny that at all. Having the largest install base will do that. That said, I have trouble buying the idea that Linux "just isn't as good for most things as Windows." That's a pretty vague statement. Now you're probably not going to be running Microsoft Office or the Adobe suite on Linux at all or without a bunch of fuckery, but you can almost always find alternatives. I can't think of anything you can do on Windows as a concept that you can't actually do on Linux. I can think of things on Linux that you can't do natively on Windows like containers (OS-level virtualization). Something like Docker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docker_(software)) can only run on some versions of Windows thanks to WSL (which is like Wine, but in reverse, from my understanding).

Now I understand if you think Gimp is shit in comparison to Photoshop. I also understand if you don't want to fuck with Wine, Wine Tricks, Proton, Proton Tricks, custom Proton forks, etc. in order to get your games to work. I get it. I think you should use the OS that best lets you do what you need to do. If you're big into video editing, you'll probably be using Mac OS. If you're big into running the latest games, you'll probably be using Windows. That's cool. Use the best tool for the job. But I think Linux should be the default OS everyone starts with. Whether you're a complete novice who only does web browsing and email or if you're a software developer, Linux should be the starting point.

Also, while waifu2x-caffe doesn't run on Linux it looks like waifu2x and something called waifu2x-ncnn-vulkan do. I'm not sure if they do the same things though.

I probably used the wrong term here. I'm just comparing exe/msi to .deb and .rpm. With software installation in Windows I can see where the files are going and have options to change where they go if I want as well and options for where they are going in the start menu. In Linux all of that is obfuscated and I have less choice which I dislike. I had to spend a lot of time learning the directory structure of Linux just to figure out where shit goes and I never had to do with with Windows. I was able to learn that stuff naturally just through using it and paying attention to what the installers tell me.

They're obfuscated if you're unfamiliar with the Unix directory structure. Windows lets you install things where ever you want because it has the Windows Registry. It's like a giant database that contains all the OS, application, and user settings. In Linux, things are instead stored in particular directories. OS-level settings are stored in /proc, application-level settings in /etc, user-level settings in /home and so on. It has its pros and cons. One pro is that when your package manager is maintaining the installation and knows where to find everything, it can easily uninstall the software later. With an .exe, you're kind of just hoping that the uninstaller will do that right thing. The uninstaller might maliciously leave some spyware hanging around on your machine or it might be skittish about removing or updating registry settings that could potentially break your computer. This is part of the reason why Windows installations get bloated and sluggish after a while and need a fresh re-install.

This is aside from the fact that there isn't a standard that all distros can use. If there's not a .deb or .rpm (whichever you need) and the software you want isn't in the repos for your distro, you are pretty much screwed unless you want to compile shit yourself or jump through other hoops. Thank god for Arch and the AUR which makes that shit a lot less painful but it's still worse than just downloading an exe or msi file on Windows. Most of my Windows software keeps it's self up to date or alerts me when there are updates so I don't need something like a Linux package manager to handle all of my software for me and it comes direct from whoever makes the software instead of relying on someone else to keep the repos updated.

I don't think compiling from source is terribly difficult, but I'm also a developer so I'm probably biased. That said, you're talking about fragmentation, which is a very real problem on Linux and part of the reason why proprietary software struggles on Linux. The AUR is pretty cool, but there are distro-agonstic solutions that are coming around. AppImage is like a self-contained .exe that doesn't install anything. It completely runs from the file. Flatpak and Snaps can run on any distro that supports their underlying technology. Those last two in particular are really cool. They are completely sandboxed applications that only touch the minimum amount of OS that it needs to or you allow it to. I can run Steam in a Flatpak and run it without giving network privileges so it thinks it's running offline, when my network is working fine. It's like Docker, but on an individual application level!

One thing I love about Linux is that I can run the updates (all updates from OS, applications, drivers and firmware) from one location and on my time. Some cross-platform applications like Steam perform their own updates and I hate it. I'd rather ensure my applications are up to date BEFORE I run them, so I can get into using them immediately instead of having to stop what I'm doing to download and install updates. The last time I booted into my Windows partition, I had to wait 3 hours for it to install all the Windows updates after not using it for months. That never happens on Linux because it respects my time. I also have the option of getting updates immediately and direct from whoever makes the software by simply adding the PPAs. I added Nvidia on my desktop to ensure I get the latest video card driver updates and added Dell repos on my laptop to get their updates for my particular hardware rather than waiting for them to be pushed upstream.

I don't know what to say. Windows isn't for me. It's just seems, I don't know, in the stone ages of operating systems. Like did you know that on Windows 10 you still have to defrag mechanical hard drives? Windows 10 does it transparently in the background, but it's ridiculous that an OS would have to do that. You haven't had to defrag mechanical hard drives in Linux since the release of Ext2 in 1993. Things like virtual desktops which were introduced in Windows 10 have been on Linux since the early 90's. App stores are just watered down package managers with better UI. Windows doesn't offer anything new and it's constantly playing catch-up.

Not really, i am not refering to this. There is plenty of evidence for that but i am not going to list them here, if you disagree it's fine, you are going to be using a Linux distro named Windows in the not so distant future anyway, whether you believe me or not is irrelevant.

There's speculation that Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows and that Microsoft is planning on doing what Google does with Android and Chrome OS. Microsoft's most recent operating system, Azure Sphere OS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azure_Sphere), is just a custom Linux OS. I don't think there's any concrete evidence of it though. People just see Microsoft becoming more of a service-oriented/data company and doing things like turning IE/Edge into yet another Chromium browser and see them doing the same with Windows.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
^ There's not much here that I can disagree with. Good post even if that was all information that I already knew. Nice to talk to a level headed Linux user who's not a huge zealot for once. The only big disagree is that yes compiling software is a pain. You are definitely biased as a dev. That's not something an end user should ever have to do unless they are a dev themselves.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Some things I want to respond to in detail now that I have the time:

I've already mentioned how games get better frame rates on Windows than even native Linux ports, so there's one thing off the bat.

Yes, and no. Most native Linux ports get done by third parties. Take Firaxis for example. All their native Linux ports were done by either Aspyr or Feral. The main teams at Firaxis are completely focused on making the Windows version work as well as possible and probably only think about Linux when the port team needs something to make the game work.

If you take some examples from Valve, who are creating the Linux versions in-house, you'll see that the performance is either the same (https://flightlessmango.com/benchmarks/LfE_EQQvD5o) or better (https://flightlessmango.com/benchmarks/F2xv7n0gklw) than the Windows version. Nowadays you're even starting to see that games running through Wine are outperforming the game running on Windows (https://flightlessmango.com/benchmarks/h-XnlUMfkjM).

I knew this but sadly Valve is a unicorn here. If this became common practice I would switch to Linux no problem even if there are still several things I don't like about it. They'd have to get Steam to play nice with Arch based distros too though. Also Aspyr is the devil. I still can't believe how bad their Linux port of Civ V is. I don't see trends ever changing here though. Honestly I don't understand why anyone still makes games using DX12 when Vulkan is an option but here we are still not seeing a ton of Vulkan games.

Now I understand if you think Gimp is shit in comparison to Photoshop. I also understand if you don't want to fuck with Wine, Wine Tricks, Proton, Proton Tricks, custom Proton forks, etc. in order to get your games to work. I get it. I think you should use the OS that best lets you do what you need to do. If you're big into video editing, you'll probably be using Mac OS. If you're big into running the latest games, you'll probably be using Windows. That's cool. Use the best tool for the job. But I think Linux should be the default OS everyone starts with. Whether you're a complete novice who only does web browsing and email or if you're a software developer, Linux should be the starting point.

This is what I was getting at when I was saying Windows is better for most things. Even if you can use software that does some of the same things it doesn't do them as well like in your gimp vs photoshop example. This isn't always the case but it's vastly more common than not. I do agree that devs and people who just surf the web should probably be using Linux though.

Also, while waifu2x-caffe doesn't run on Linux it looks like waifu2x and something called waifu2x-ncnn-vulkan do. I'm not sure if they do the same things though.

I'll check into those next time I feel like trying Linux again. I usually go back to it once every four years or so then remember how much I hate dual booting. Partially for the reasons I already mentioned and partially because SSD space is such a precious commodity. The last time I used Linux was probably around December of last year when I decided to check out Manjaro with Cinnamon. I mostly did it to prove my point to a bunch of zealots who kept trying to say that gaming on Linux is just as good as Windows now.

It's still not even close

They're obfuscated if you're unfamiliar with the Unix directory structure. Windows lets you install things where ever you want because it has the Windows Registry.

I knew this and I actually think the Windows registry is shit. The way Linux does things is technically better here. I just wish they would show you where the files are going when things get installed so users can learn that way instead of having to make a deep dive into the Unix directory structure like I eventually did. Hell, I still don't know how start menu shortcuts work in Linux. That was easy to figure out in Windows with a simple right click.

I don't think compiling from source is terribly difficult, but I'm also a developer so I'm probably biased.

Try walking your grandma through it and you'll see how biased you are on that front :lol:

One thing I love about Linux is that I can run the updates (all updates from OS, applications, drivers and firmware) from one location and on my time. Some cross-platform applications like Steam perform their own updates and I hate it. I'd rather ensure my applications are up to date BEFORE I run them, so I can get into using them immediately instead of having to stop what I'm doing to download and install updates. The last time I booted into my Windows partition, I had to wait 3 hours for it to install all the Windows updates after not using it for months. That never happens on Linux because it respects my time. I also have the option of getting updates immediately and direct from whoever makes the software by simply adding the PPAs. I added Nvidia on my desktop to ensure I get the latest video card driver updates and added Dell repos on my laptop to get their updates for my particular hardware rather than waiting for them to be pushed upstream.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. It makes no difference to me at all if my software updates before or after it runs and I fucking hate PPAs. PPAs aren't a thing in the kind of distros I like to use anyway but it's one of the things that drove me away from Linux Mint. I'm a pretty big fan of Manjaro after trying it but I would use straight Arch over Manjaro if the Architect Linux installer for it was still being updated. I really like being able to choose every little component of the OS myself and I miss that about Arch but I'm not about to go through all the trouble piecing it together myself.

I don't know what to say. Windows isn't for me. It's just seems, I don't know, in the stone ages of operating systems. Like did you know that on Windows 10 you still have to defrag mechanical hard drives? Windows 10 does it transparently in the background, but it's ridiculous that an OS would have to do that. You haven't had to defrag mechanical hard drives in Linux since the release of Ext2 in 1993. Things like virtual desktops which were introduced in Windows 10 have been on Linux since the early 90's. App stores are just watered down package managers with better UI. Windows doesn't offer anything new and it's constantly playing catch-up.

This is true but end users don't care about this and HDDs are going the way of the dodo anyway. NTFS is shit and needs to be replaced though. Personally when I use Linux I'm the one weird guy who likes to use F2FS as my file system but there might be something better than that now. I don't think EXT is particularly special. It's old and not at all exciting whereas F2FS is somewhat new and shiny.

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
They'd have to get Steam to play nice with Arch based distros too though

Are you completely retarded? Why you keep parroting lies? Steam has always played nice with Arch. I have been running Arch for more than 12 years now and Steam has always been fine. Stop spreading FUD.

I'm a pretty big fan of Manjaro

Remember when i told you, that you were no Arch user even though you claimed you were. I can spot Manjaro faggots from 100 miles away, they are always the retards who pretend to know-it-all about Linux yet they are talking out of their asshole. Only a faggot would claim that Manjaro=Arch. It is nowhere near Arch, it is a different distro. Installing Manjaro is like installing Ubuntu, only worse. You have literally no idea how to configure an Arch machine, which is why you can't really troubleshoot your system. There is a reason Manjaro retards are banned on Arch forums. Stop pretending you are an Arch user, you are not.

Also, installing Arch in 2020 is far easier than installing Ubuntu. Arch used to be more complicated to install, but these days it is like 5-6 commands and a few minutes later you are in your favourite desktop environment. It is that easy. Yes, completely installing EVERYTHING you want and configuring some things might take some more time, but this also applies to Windows or Ubuntu, you rarely have to leave a fresh install untouched.... If you can't or hesitate to install proper Arch, it is because you are lacking knowledge to do so.

I don't think EXT is particularly special. It's old and not at all exciting whereas F2FS is somewhat new and shiny.

Codexers are a retarded bunch. They are hating new games and always love archaic obsolete video games, but when it comes to FILESYSTEMS, one of the most important systems for keeping their data safe, they begin hating the "oldness". LOL the retardation is too strong. Being old is not a problem for a filesystem dude, it is a feature. It means it has been bugtested to oblivion. New and shinny is not something you want to use on production machines or when you want your data to be safe. Besides, ext4 still does the job and is far better than NTFS.

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
Who cares about data integrity when you can have an extra fps in your games and shorter loading times. Everything is in the cloud anyway Bro. :lol:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Are you completely retarded? Why you keep parroting lies? Steam has always played nice with Arch. I have been running Arch for more than 12 years now and Steam has always been fine. Stop spreading FUD.

As of January it did not. You can see my thread here you retarded shitskin: https://hardforum.com/threads/a-windows-gamer-tries-manjaro.1991314/

The issues I was having back then were issues on all Arch based distros according to the people in that thread and I will trust people at hardforum over a dumbfuck like you any day.

Remember when i told you, that you were no Arch user even though you claimed you were. I can spot Manjaro faggots from 100 miles away, they are always the retards who pretend to know-it-all about Linux yet they are talking out of their asshole. Only a faggot would claim that Manjaro=Arch. It is nowhere near Arch, it is a different distro. Installing Manjaro is like installing Ubuntu, only worse. You have literally no idea how to configure an Arch machine, which is why you can't really troubleshoot your system. There is a reason Manjaro retards are banned on Arch forums. Stop pretending you are an Arch user, you are not.

I used Manjaro in January. Four years before that I was using Arch. Apparently you have not been reading my posts but that's to be expected of a dumbfuck shitskin like you.

Codexers are a retarded bunch. They are hating new games and always love archaic obsolete video games, but when it comes to FILESYSTEMS, one of the most important systems for keeping their data safe, they begin hating the "oldness". LOL the retardation is too strong. Being old is not a problem for a filesystem dude, it is a feature. It means it has been bugtested to oblivion. New and shinny is not something you want to use on production machines or when you want your data to be safe. Besides, ext4 still does the job and is far better than NTFS.

I'm not using a production machine so none of that matters. I'm using a home machine for personal enjoyment. If you're keeping important data on a drive that you're using to screw around with different file systems for fun then you are a fucking idiot. My important files are split between a secondary SSD and a NAS.

Who cares about data integrity when you can have an extra fps in your games and shorter loading times. Everything is in the cloud anyway Bro. :lol:

Since when has data integrity been an issue on Windows? I've been using Windows since the 3.1 era and I've never lost data unless a hard drive crashed.

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane

Since when has data integrity been an issue on Windows? I've been using Windows since the 3.1 era and I've never lost data unless a hard drive crashed.

Dude, you're the one going on about "new" FS in Linux. Why bring Windows in when those guys haven't changed their FS much in years?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I already said that NTFS sucks and I haven't had any problems with F2FS or NTFS so I'm at a total loss of what point you're trying to make. Sounds like you're just talking shit to talk shit

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
Man, you wrote about EXT being old shit and how newer stuff is better. Data integrity is a thing, believe it or not, and some FS are more robust than others in this regard. EXT is old yes, and despite its failings it is a very well tested and reliable FS. Congrats that NTFS has not lost your data yet.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Man, you wrote about EXT being old shit and how newer stuff is better. Data integrity is a thing, believe it or not, and some FS are more robust than others in this regard. EXT is old yes, and despite its failings it is a very well tested and reliable FS. Congrats that NTFS has not lost your data yet.

I never said newer stuff was better. I was saying that it's more fun. That's a reading comprehension fail. Nowhere did I say that old was bad or newer is better. I just said EXT was boring. It's old and it was designed for mechanical hard drives. F2FS was designed from the ground up for flash storage and it's a lot newer so it's more interesting and fun to mess with. It's the same filesystem that Samsung phones use.

Here's some benchmarks for shits and giggles: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-50-filesystems&num=1

Last edited:

MartinK

Learned
Yes. If by "good" we mean 6/10 or 7/10. Good distraction, almost worth your money, fun for coupple of weeks but ultimately forgettable. Would be funny if it turned out to be next Diakatana, but I don’t see that happening.

Semiurge

Cipher
There's speculation that Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows and that Microsoft is planning on doing what Google does with Android and Chrome OS. Microsoft's most recent operating system, Azure Sphere OS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azure_Sphere), is just a custom Linux OS. I don't think there's any concrete evidence of it though. People just see Microsoft becoming more of a service-oriented/data company and doing things like turning IE/Edge into yet another Chromium browser and see them doing the same with Windows.

They are absolutely going to go all-cloud, all-subscription based in the future, they just can't do it at once and alienate customers/businesses. That curryface at the helm is the one to blame for slowly turning Windows into iOS. I doubt that in 2030 you can install software on Windows from anywhere but Store, and Microsoft accounts are mandatory. In fact, a subscription model wouldn't work without one. I for one will have boarded the Linux ship long before that point though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom