Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age I just finished Dragon Age Origins and some parts of it werent awfull

Falksi

Arcane
Dao is a fun game. Poe is not a fun game.

POE despite all its problems is significantly better than DAO. It has better combat, better character progression, better NPCs, better art, and a more coherent world. The whole Templar/Mage dynamic is incredibly retarded and the Darkspawn enemy is generic and boring. There is no personality to the villain just an anonymous threatening mob. Who the fuck cares.

POE's big problem was lore dumps and all the backer shit and you can just mod that out.
DAO's story was serviceable with a few highpoints. DAO was happy being a Tolkien/D&D knockoff, like a pig in mud it rolled around and covered itself in it. The setting was immediately familiar to pretty much anyone in its target demographic. I didn't need a book of text to tell me that the orcs darkspawn are bad dudes or that dwarves really love gold, have underground trade routes, and are resistant to magic.

I remember frequently thinking "I don't care" when reading PoE dialogues. Yeah that's great, can I go adventuring now? Yeah, cool hairy gnomes and fish people whatever, no I don't care about your island oh God you're going to make a sequel set there aren't you?

DAO is the video game equivalent of someone realizing they're not smart enough so they quote a smarter person.
PoE is the video game equivalent of someone thinking they're smarter than they are.

Nice analogy.

From memory, PoE threw a lot of shit at you that you never engaged with. All the tales of Gods, lore, far off lands etc. were told in a way that you knew you'd never interact with them, so it was all a bit mute & uninteresting.

Whereas the core of DA:O's lore was rooted around things which you would at some point have a taste of, such as The Fade & Andraste.

It's as if Bioware knew this too. In PoE the big clunky fucker Kana Rua spouts bollocks at you none-stop about places & people you never experience. DA:O's big clunky fucker Sten on the other hand says absolutely fuck all unless you make a considered effort to prise this info from him. Seems like a conscious decision to keep the game as inwardly focused as possible.

I switched off most the time in PoE coz my instinct told me that what I was hearing had no real relevance on the game. Whereas in DA:O it often did, so I listened to every snippet.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

Cael

Arcane
The whole Templar/Mage dynamic is incredibly retarded

The lore around mages and them being ticking time bombs and whatnot is some of the best shit in that series, and pretty good shit IMO. The writing is Bioware derp a lot of the time, but the concept is great.

Nope. In any logical world the mages would be executed as soon as they revealed their power. Sort of like who the fuck would be a Grey Warden if they knew they would only live for 20 years.

Yeah they surely would be executed and not seperated, kept under harsh control and stashed into bunkers like the human weapons of mass destruction they are. Just like the world abolished all their nukes as soon as they realised they could literally cause an apocalyptic event with them instead of each country in power hoarding about 100 of them, enough to end the world by itself.

Nukes don't get possessed by demons and go off in New York.

Nuclear powerplants do, just look at Fukushima and Chernobyl. Still people are harnessing their power. People are willing to take a lot of risks for the benefit of power.
The Mage/Templar dynamic is pretty clever, the world cant afford to be without their might and they want them for their wars. At the same time they are the sharpest dagger in their back.
Getting hit by a tsunami is demon-possession...

:backawayslowly:

Sykar

Arcane
Tried this piece of mediocrity three times, every single time I stopped earlier and earlier. Farthest I ever got on my mage were Deep Roads which made me uninstall on the spot after I believe 15-20 minutes of mindless orcdarkspawn killing.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

The lore around mages and them being ticking time bombs and whatnot is some of the best shit in that series, and pretty good shit IMO. The writing is Bioware derp a lot of the time, but the concept is great.

Nope. In any logical world the mages would be executed as soon as they revealed their power. Sort of like who the fuck would be a Grey Warden if they knew they would only live for 20 years.

Yeah they surely would be executed and not seperated, kept under harsh control and stashed into bunkers like the human weapons of mass destruction they are. Just like the world abolished all their nukes as soon as they realised they could literally cause an apocalyptic event with them instead of each country in power hoarding about 100 of them, enough to end the world by itself.

Nuclear powerplants do, just look at Fukushima and Chernobyl. Still people are harnessing their power. People are willing to take a lot of risks for the benefit of power.
The Mage/Templar dynamic is pretty clever, the world cant afford to be without their might and they want them for their wars. At the same time they are the sharpest dagger in their back.

Fukushima was built upon historically known flooding grounds and it was build with western technology that was never meant to withstand a trusnami. It was negligience and human failure.

Cael

Arcane

Fukushima was built upon historically known flooding grounds and it was build with western technology that was never meant to withstand a trusnami. It was negligience and human failure.
Actually, it was the 14m wave hitting a 12m wall that did it, but don't let facts get in your way.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

Actually, it was the 14m wave hitting a 12m wall that did it, but don't let facts get in your way.

And why did a too high wave hit the wall? Because the Plant was built too close to the ocean on ancient tsunami grounds with inferior protection for that placement.
But the main point is that even if nuclear energy is generally dangerous people take the risk and stash bombs in the thousands and build plants. Because they think they can control the risk, which is exactly what the templars are doing in DAO.
I should really stop talking to dumbfucks...

Cael

Arcane

And why did a too high wave hit the wall? Because the Plant was built too close to the ocean on ancient tsunami grounds with inferior protection for that placement.
But the main point is that even if nuclear energy is generally dangerous people take the risk and stash bombs in the thousands and build plants. Because they think they can control the risk, which is exactly what the templars are doing in DAO.
That 14m wave was a freak that no one expected. The wall was built to withstand what was considered normal for the area (and no, 12m waves are not normal other than in a tsunami prone area).

Also, it had nothing to do with that you said earlier: "Nuclear powerplants do, just look at Fukushima and Chernobyl."

It was a lousy analogy by some anti-nuclear power nutjob trying to malign a source of power that has killed far less people than traditional coal, and destroyed far less land than alternative power like geothermal, hydro, solar and wind.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

That 14m wave was a freak that no one expected. The wall was built to withstand what was considered normal for the area (and no, 12m waves are not normal other than in a tsunami prone area).

Also, it had nothing to do with that you said earlier: "Nuclear powerplants do, just look at Fukushima and Chernobyl."

It was a lousy analogy by some anti-nuclear power nutjob trying to malign a source of power that has killed far less people than traditional coal, and destroyed far less land than alternative power like geothermal, hydro, solar and wind.

I am pro nuclear you fucking retard. In DAO I am pro mages aswell. You however have considerable brain damage and an absolute lack of reading proficiency.

Cael

Arcane

I am pro nuclear you fucking retard. In DAO I am pro mages aswell. You however have considerable brain damage and an absolute lack of reading proficiency.
Calling nuclear powerplants "demon-possessed" is hardly the act of "pro-nuclear" but whatever.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

Calling nuclear powerplants "demon-possessed" is hardly the act of "pro-nuclear" but whatever.

I wasnt the one who brought up the demon anology you absolute moron. I used the nuclear energy since both are trendemous sources of power which can help humanity along greatly. But both have the potential for catastrophic damage if handled negligiently or just by freak accidents.
Honestly you are so full of shit, always assuming all of the wolrd is against you. Do you have some kind of paranoia or just dementia?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
FdkXS9i.png

In the future you might want to use this feature instead of resorting to quote pyramids, just FYI.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Awakening let you make all dwarf party but aside from Orzomar part it was 5/10 game with some lore stolen from War-Hammer (mages using demon infested plane to cast magic). Of course all Bioware games after turned to be even worse aside from ME2 which was fun but I do remember it only cause it was a year with no good RPG.

Cael

Arcane
I wasnt the one who brought up the demon anology you absolute moron. I used the nuclear energy since both are trendemous sources of power which can help humanity along greatly. But both have the potential for catastrophic damage if handled negligiently or just by freak accidents.
Honestly you are so full of shit, always assuming all of the wolrd is against you. Do you have some kind of paranoia or just dementia?
Your persecution complex is noted. As is your inability to analogy.

Cael

Arcane
Awakening let you make all dwarf party but aside from Orzomar part it was 5/10 game with some lore stolen from War-Hammer (mages using demon infested plane to cast magic). Of course all Bioware games after turned to be even worse aside from ME2 which was fun but I do remember it only cause it was a year with no good RPG.
Who was the third dwarf NPC? Oghren, Sigrun and?

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
-The mechanics was bland
-the abilities was bland
-the enviroments was bland
-inventory interface was a bland excell spreadsheet, which suits the bland and uninteresting "Scales to your level" loot which you chug up like a combine harvester.

The sum of its parts makes it a formulaic and overly clinical combat gameplay which I just couldn't get into, because naturally which such Top-Down simplicity...encounters was complete templated shit.
The original campaigns to NWN 1 and 2 had better encounter design.

But I perservered...why? Because I wanted to get to the end of my Choose your Own Adventure storyline, the individual and branching narratives was nicely weaved together.
But I just couldn't deal with the bland setting, bland characters forced feed a missguided attempts at cinematography for more then one playthrough.
When everything is voice acted blandly and you're smushed into a headshot with a 3D model with bland expression, holy crap does the mediocricity become apparent!
It was just one cringe after another.

I was a full on Bioware fanboy until I realised they weren't gonna improve anything mechanics wise, gameplay was declining into a tacked on convoluted play button.
"Button->Awsome", press it enough and you get to see more of the screenplay.

I abhor Dragon Age, because it made the case that RPGs is ... "about a Role you play in a game".
The whole Mass Effect 3 debacle is a hilarous and tragic cumulation of that, hilarous that the formula failed...tragic that people judges games on the cohesion and quality of the "storyline".

Oh and the Mage/Templar spiel, was nicked from Warhammers Magicians/Psykers.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

Lmao, you know that Warhammer 40k is a massive parody and is stealing/being inspired by pretty much all major Sci Fi and some fantasy IPs to the T? In more modern times GW is producing original stories but complianing that Warhammer did something first is laughable. Its a massive parody and melting pot of influential Sci Fi worlds at the time.

Mostly agree with the rest of your statement.

Cael

Arcane

Lmao, you know that Warhammer 40k is a massive parody and is stealing/being inspired by pretty much all major Sci Fi and some fantasy IPs to the T? In more modern times GW is producing original stories but complianing that Warhammer did something first is laughable. Its a massive parody and melting pot of influential Sci Fi worlds at the time.

So... Warhammer 40k is basically the Forgotten Realms of sci-fi?

Semiurge

Cipher
It has supreme voice acting. Oftentimes the Hollywood A-listers, or the so called "celebrity guests" will provide lazy performances, but everyone else will emote like their lives depended on it. The latter is the case with DAO.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

Well, then they nicked it from someone who nicked it.

My point wasn't that GW is so original, just an addendum to the previous pages where it was discussed that it was illogical and/or 'fresh'.

Oh and the discussion that "why don't they just kill all magicians", in which I point to that magic users and psykers are gateway to Chaos gods...but the Empire and Imperium still sanctions legit use.

I was thinking about replaying this, but it seems to have major compatibility issues with Windows 10. Usually crashes after about five minutes and runs like shit. Anyone know a fix? Or should I just not bother trying to get it to work?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom