Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
674cefb33b0a87d413d7003652a8b299.png

Time for the shills to abandon Last of Us 2 thread, and come here to discuss how "incompetent or stupid the devs and writer are". Or how they don't care trans or gay characters, but the fact that they are badly written and try to fix AC Valhalla script with some touches.

I don't care very much about AC although I enjoyed some of the first games, but sooner or later you favorite franchise will be destroyed. This is total war.

Tim the Bore

Scholar
Caring for historical accuracy in Ubisoft games is like caring for the taste of popcorn while watching a movie. Arguing over it is pointless, because neither accuracy nor taste were the point in the first place. Seriously, who fucking cares. Fetch quests, bland enviroment and health-spoonges enemies could be the really issue. Performance, bugs, that sort of stuff too, as usual. Odyssey had a giant loading screen for virtually everything and every time more than five NPCs appeared on the screen, the game went apeshit. This is the real problem.

Anyway, Assassin's Creed is such a huge franchise, they could place their next game anywhere they want - this is, like, the one and only opportunity to explore some of the more overlooked historical settings in a triple-A game. They could set it in ancient Persia, some of pre-columbian cultures, maybe ancient China, anywhere. And they chose Europe during medieval times, holy shit.

Also, they really need to stop with this whole "first civilization" nonsense, no one cares about it (and I hope no one ever did) and it actively hurts the whole experience. Assassin's Creed has always been about a particular style, not a specific story or event.

Longes

Augur
Caring for historical accuracy in Ubisoft games is like caring for the taste of popcorn while watching a movie. Arguing over it is pointless, because neither accuracy nor taste were the point in the first place. Seriously, who fucking cares. Fetch quests, bland enviroment and health-spoonges enemies could be the really issue. Performance, bugs, that sort of stuff too, as usual. Odyssey had a giant loading screen for virtually everything and every time more than five NPCs appeared on the screen, the game went apeshit. This is the real problem.

Anyway, Assassin's Creed is such a huge franchise, they could place their next game anywhere they want - this is, like, the one and only opportunity to explore some of the more overlooked historical settings in a triple-A game. They could set it in ancient Persia, some of pre-columbian cultures, maybe ancient China, anywhere. And they chose Europe during medieval times, holy shit.

Also, they really need to stop with this whole "first civilization" nonsense, no one cares about it (and I hope no one ever did) and it actively hurts the whole experience. Assassin's Creed has always been about a particular style, not a specific story or event.
They already did Persia, China and Russia as the shitty 2d platformers no one cared for.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What exactly is this doing in the General RPG forum?
Is a 90% action game with a small sprinkle of unlockables & stats on top already enough?
Infinitron is thirsty for some asscreed booty,he keeps on posting asscreed games as RPGs,same was with we wuz killing kangz, and greek macho womun. The quality of the codex is really falling down this days :(.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Caring for historical accuracy in Ubisoft games is like caring for the taste of popcorn while watching a movie.

You don't understand, this is not about historical accuracy, is about mass demoralization and cultural subversion.

Enjoy your homo-afro viking games for 70$, consume and don't think.

Quillon

Arcane
How will that gender change during gameplay work with Eivor marrying? The "mystery" must be pretty shit one.

bloodlover

Arcane
According to Gamespot:

There will be a seven-song EP pulled from the game's soundtrack that will be released on Spotify and for purchase on iTunes later this year.

The EP will feature original music from composers Jesper Kyd and Sarah Schachner, along with an original song by Einar Selvik. Selvik is the former drummer of the metal band Gorgoroth and current singer of the Nordic band Wardruna. Selvik worked with the History Channel on the show Vikings.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Meh, the whole gay thing is because you can choose your protagonist's gender and Ubisoft is too lazy to write something different for each gender.

It's playersexual rather than homosexual. They already did that in Odyssey. Complain it now is like complain Bioware having gay romance in DA 4.

Last edited:
Doesn't assassins creed have mythological creatures in it now?
Who cares about realism, let me play as a buff viking chick.

Exactly - given the mythical elements in the last couple of AC games (and also evidently in Valhalla as well) having shield maidens is hardly much of a stretch.

Biggest problem with me for AC is how repetitive they are in order to get that "magical" hundreds of hours of gameplay. I'd rather they were shorter but with more unique content personally.

It's not even a new thing either. The Apple from Eden and the Garden of Eden are things in the original game...only it's all connected to some weird ancient aliens type thing. With Adam and Eve being the ones that freed humanity from their high tech ancient overlords. Myths being real, to some kind of way, has been part of the series since the first games.

I think the big problem with Assassin's Creed games since Black Flag is that they're even Assassin's Creed games. Black Flag was a pretty fun pirates game, but then there's this fucking Assassin's Creed shit that'd keep popping up in getting in the way of what you want to be doing. With Black Flag there's what could have been a pretty great modern take Sid Meier's Pirates if they only fleshed the pirate aspect out a bit more. Funny thing is if they'd done that it'd given them all those hours of gameplay they seeming want, and in a more fun and interesting way. Really is a shame they never fleshed that game out, because there's a lot of good stuff in it. Even the Kenways Fleet stuff just seemed like it was begging to have more put into it, it's basically like one step away from being the combat system they'd use in Child of Light a year later.

From what I can tell of their most recent Assassin's Creed game they seemingly don't even want to be Assassin's Creed games, but just are because people know the brand, which then means they have to do some modern day bit it seems like everyone was over by the third game. It's very weird. But then Ubisoft has had a very weird relationship with their brands for about a decade now.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Ubisoft being accused of copying Witcher 3 is humorous considering Witcher 3 copied the Ubisoft formula.

Well, no that's wrong, shithead. Don't let facts affect how you *feel* though. After all, you are a unique snowflake.

Doesn't assassins creed have mythological creatures in it now?
Who cares about realism, let me play as a buff viking chick.

In AC2 you fought the against the Pope who was wielding a magical staff and the PC with some magical bullshit as well.

At no point in this franchise's existence, has it been even remotely realistic. It's pure(ile) fantasy. Always has been.

I really wish they'd make a separate game. Keep everything the same - just don't call it Assassin's Creed 23. Call it "Eng-Land: Shadow of Varyag" or whatever.

On a mechanical level AC Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla have moved so far from the origins of the series that they are basically unrecognizable. It really is more Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 than it is Assassin's Creed.

On a narrative level, Assassin's Creed consistently keeps being a boulder on the writers' ankle rather than a benefit. The modern storyline has ended with AC 3 and had nothing interesting every since. All of the setting's secrets are already known. We know there are no gods - it's just ancient alien holograms faking it. We know there is no magic. The Pieces of Eden have long since stopped being interesting or even relevant. Animus is irrelevant even as a framing device. The "genetic memory" premise is just restricting the writers who want to write lesbians or whatever.

I just want a game about a cool viking Odinson throwing runes and casting axes at people. Am I being greedy? Is this too much to ask? How many decades of Assassin's Creed will it be until we are finally free?

I could not have said it better myself. Excellent and astute observation.

Odyssey would have been so much more awesome and creatively free, if it was simply an Ancient Greece RPG, W3 style, with a healthy dose of mythology and mysteries mixed in with historical or mythological events.

The "Assassin's Creed" part of the game, hung like an albatross over it, severely limiting the design space and story.

The same with an RPG in Ancient Egypt, or a Viking RPG... the legacy bullshit of the AC series is seriously preventing the rebooted games from reaching their potential and would be best if it was erased completely.

A very nice benefit to the erasure of the AC lore and name, would be that we'd finally be free of all the AC2 faggots and the other oldfags who can't get over the fact that the game is called "Assassin's Creed" and start whining about "parkour" and "historicity", or lack thereof, when those "hallmarks" of early AC games are dead and gone and have been for years.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
witcher 3 was as barebones as it got.

Yes, which is why I didn't quite feel comfortable defining AC Origins an RPG.

Odyssey is definitely an RPG, but as barebones as TW3.

Whether Valhalla will dip its toe deeper into the warm and comfy RPG waters, remains to be seen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom