Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good less talked about RPGs

Drikaukal

I know there is adiscussion about obscure RPGs but i wanted to see your recomendations.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I wouldn't trust the various codex top lists, they are all garbage. Edgelords, trolls, shills, altaccounts, etc, skew the results completely. There are no valid criteria why a game is on the list or not and at what position, it is all over the place. It is stupid. Besides, i have never voted in such a list, so they are not legit by definition since they don't contain the vote of someone as prestigius as myself.

Still, since RPGs are typically about immersion, and immersive games tend to be memorable and talked about a lot, it is very rare that a good RPG remains obscure and less talked about.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
All of these are, IMHO, great & enjoyable RPGs but are rarely discussed on here.........

hqdefault.jpg

This bad boy is mostly brilliant, but just starts to wane a bit towards the end.

A superb mix of fantasy, history, darkness & light humour, it just all fits together REALLY well. It's a bit easy, but the judgement ring system is really good fun, and first 3/4's of the game are superb, the last 1/4 good.

:5/5:

hqdefault.jpg

Absolutely mint from start to finish. Great characters, great story, great combat, great quests, great world, great lore etc. If you enjoy action RPG's I'd say this is the one to try off the list first. Once your over the initial slightly odd/clunky controls, you've a very original & fun game to enjoy, with quests that actually feel significant & rewarding.

maxresdefault.jpg

One of THE best paced games going, which displays an absolute masterclass in bait & deliver. Everything is balanced absolutely superbly, with enough roleplaying & secrets to indulge in, before a nice tactical battle ensues to get your teeth into.

lcOb86zfz-1eliCcMmu7w-wPAB3zy-4dhxS0-V-mn7U_390x400_1x-0.jpeg

Probably the one on this list which depends on your taste the most, this is an off-centre JRPG with a quirky "influence" battle system. It won't be for everyone, and it was a pain to get running properly, but once I'd got it sorted I was sucked in and played it through twice in a row, which is very rare for me.

:4/5:

91UJqhygmZL._SX342_.jpg

A thousand times better than it's sequel IMO. Far more epic, funny, & inspiring with way more satisfying combat too.

857116._SX270_QL80_TTD_.jpg

One of THE best party-banter RPGs out there. The game mechanics aren't something I bothered with, I just turned down the difficulty & bashed buttons. But the way the story is told, the fact that you play the "bad" guys, and the party banter make it a great time. Definitely one to play along the missus to shut her up too.

9781626926950.jpg

Similar to Berseria, more clunky combat, not quite as funny or well paced, it's still got enough going for it to play through and has enough good changes from Berseria to stay fresh (even though it's the older game. And if you play both do Berseria first, then this)

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I wonder how many obscure RPG threads this site has? It would be something amazing to combine them all into one thread. I wonder how many times games everybody already knows about get mentioned? There should be a poll at the beginning of threads like this that resolve the debate - are any of these games obscure to you, yes or no? So far...only one or two.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fallout 1, kinda obscure this days.

Yes the most circlejerked game on the codex together with Fallout 2 and literal top 2 game in the lists here is obscure.

Titan Outpost is codexer made and very promising as an rpg that replaces combat with space base management.
Alluris is a strange and neat casual title that tries to make the Reigns formula into a proper rpg. It doesnt succeed but its an admirable attempt
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is a match 3 spinoff from the Heroes of Might and Magic series, making it a spinoff of a spinoff. Its the best match 3 rpg I ever played, although that isnt a particularily high bar.
Age of Fear is Fire Emblem meets slavic rpg, made from a polak I believe. Games got worse after they introduced a world map, but its still nice for the army growth.
Wartile is hard to describe. Watch a trailer, you control tabletop pieces which fight in realtime.

Some more well known (at least here) but still obscure rpgs which I liked:
Mordheim
Lords of Xulima
Child of Light
Elminage Gothic
Albion

Voidspire Tactics is probably the most well known rpg on this site from this short list, it is heavily underrated tho.

Yes a lot of those games skirt the line between tactics/strategy and rpg, since indies are more creative when it comes to genre boundaries. I just sorted my steam collection after the rpg tag and listed a few standouts which are rarely discussed here.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dark Heart of Uukrul, best dungeon crawler around. It's mentioned fairly frequently around here, I suppose, but in the top RPG ranking it only got something like 3 votes, so I think it qualifies.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Titan Outpost is codexer made and very promising as an rpg that replaces combat with space base management.

Titan Outpost is very unique and the dev is a bro. The desolate atmosphere of Titan has something beautifully haunting about it, despite the barebones graphics. Everyone talking about Disco Elysium (which I also like) when it comes to combat-less RPGs, but nobody talking about Titan Outpost smh.

Age of Fear is Fire Emblem meets slavic rpg, made from a polak I believe. Games got worse after they introduced a world map, but its still nice for the army growth.

Age of Fear is a pretty fun series. It's not really an RPG though, more of a strategy/tactics game with light RPG elements. It really deserves more publicity, the dev keeps shitting out new titles of consistent quality and the unit variety is great.

Wartile is hard to describe. Watch a trailer, you control tabletop pieces which fight in realtime.

I don't like RTwP that much but Wartile is pretty fun, yeah. The boardgame aesthetics are great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom