Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Codex Year of the Donut
What is this “starting pairs”? Sounds like something that best be optional.....
As seen in the Backer Beta, you have the option to either start the game using one the of the available premade couples, or start your own 2 characters from scratch.
It was interesting at first glance, then I actually read all the premade couples and realized they're nearly all shit. The only one that isn't is the one that's featured here(the father+daughter)
iirc there's a gay lover raider duo, black lesbian scientist duo, and something else

Retcon Raider

Literate
How do energy weapons work now? Are they still lackluster, like in Wasteland 2 DC?

They're just a variant of standard weapon categories, rather than a standalone category of their own. They generally tend to do slightly more damage than their non-energy equivalents and also have an increased chance to inflict critical hits against "conductive" enemies such as robots or cyborgs.

The "Weird Science" skill can further bolster the strength of energy weapons, allowing them to inflict additional damage on non-conductive enemies or wreathe them in an electrical aura that hurts other nearby enemies. It can also grant the ability to "overcharge" an energy weapon to inflict even more damage, with a stacking chance of causing it to backfire instead.

The main balancing factor seems to be scarcity. Most energy weapons appear to be unique, and energy cells are relatively rare and expensive compared to most other ammunition.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Quick question, what's the over under on this game actually coming out on August the 28th at this point?

So much stuff is delayed I actually just want a game to release soon pls thx ty

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
How do energy weapons work now? Are they still lackluster, like in Wasteland 2 DC?

They're just a variant of standard weapon categories, rather than a standalone category of their own. They generally tend to do slightly more damage than their non-energy equivalents and also have an increased chance to inflict critical hits against "conductive" enemies such as robots or cyborgs.

The "Weird Science" skill can further bolster the strength of energy weapons, allowing them to inflict additional damage on non-conductive enemies or wreathe them in an electrical aura that hurts other nearby enemies. It can also grant the ability to "overcharge" an energy weapon to inflict even more damage, with a stacking chance of causing it to backfire instead.

The main balancing factor seems to be scarcity. Most energy weapons appear to be unique, and energy cells are relatively rare and expensive compared to most other ammunition.

Oh that does sound a lot better. Neat.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Weird. I can't find it now but I could have sworn I saw Fargo saying somewhere that Energy Weapons were still their own skill and not actually rolled into the other weapons skills, even as late as the playable beta being released. Maybe I misread something.

Retcon Raider

Literate
Weird. I can't find it now but I could have sworn I saw Fargo saying somewhere that Energy Weapons were still their own skill and not actually rolled into the other weapons skills, even as late as the playable beta being released. Maybe I misread something.

I can confirm that there was no Energy Weapons skill in the Beta, at least. There were only a handful of energy weapons in the Beta, but they were all tied to more conventional weapon skills. That determined how accurate a character was when using that particular energy weapon.

That said, the Weird Science skill does basically fill in as a fairly dedicated energy weapon skill. It's primary purpose seems to be bolstering the overall effectiveness of all energy weapons, regardless of what actual weapon category they fall into. You just won't actually end up hitting anything if you don't also have the appropriate skill for that particular weapon category.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
That said, the Weird Science skill does basically fill in as a fairly dedicated energy weapon skill. It's primary purpose seems to be bolstering the overall effectiveness of all energy weapons, regardless of what actual weapon category they fall into. You just won't actually end up hitting anything if you don't also have the appropriate skill for that particular weapon category.
AH, that was my second thought. Maybe "Energy Weapons" was still there in some form but simply a secondary skill to help make them more powerful rather than its own primary combat skill. Thanks for the info, guess that confirms that suspicion.

Quillon

Arcane
He was always gonna play it, even completed boringly long WL2 a second time earlier this year. Unnecessary shout out, now its only fair he/InXile-MS should pay him too :P

cb.spike

Educated
Doesn´t CohhCarnage even have some kind of NPC cameo in this? Or is it just in Cyberpunk and Encased? Fuck, how I hate those...

2house2fly

Magister
Will this game have a thing where it reads your Wasteland 2 save file and has reactivity to it? I'm trying to decide if I'll bother getting all the way through W2 before trying this, and that's the kind of thing that'd push me over the edge

E: I know it's set hundreds of miles away from W2, but still

jf8350143

Liturgist
Cohn Carnage is a huge RPG fan, he played Kingmaker for hundreds of hours during his streaming(one playthrough at launch and weren't able to finish it due to bugs, then another one later down the line), despite most of the viewers have low interest in CRPG. He did the same with Deadfire, at least two playthroughs.

He funded both game as well(I think he funded WL3 too), and called Kingmaker his favourite game that year. Come to think of it, the money he spent on these game's kickstarter campaign is probably much more than the money they gave him to do the promotion.

I say it's a good thing they spend their money on him rather than some other streamers who only play popular games at launch.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Cohn Carnage is a huge RPG fan, he played Kingmaker for hundreds of hours during his streaming(one playthrough at launch and weren't able to finish it due to bugs, then another one later down the line), despite most of the viewers have low interest in CRPG. He did the same with Deadfire, at least two playthroughs.

He funded both game as well(I think he funded WL3 too), and called Kingmaker his favourite game that year. Come to think of it, the money he spent on these game's kickstarter campaign is probably much more than the money they gave him to do the promotion.

I say it's a good thing they spend their money on him rather than some other streamers who only play popular games at launch.

Coch took the most expensive tier for PF: WoR (the visith the dev one) iirc. Dude is a good variety streamer who likes his CRPG and plays them in front of 10k+ audience. Heck he played KOTOR, KOTOR 2, and Arcanum this year alone.

Quillon

Arcane
He did the same with Deadfire, at least two playthroughs.

He started a second playthrough but only played a few hours.

Obs didn't pay him for any full playthrough, they gave him the earliest access instead. Don't think Owlcats paid him either.

cb.spike

Educated

Fuck streamers no matter how much they are into CRPG. Only NPCs cameos I would accept should be based on youtuber gamers who do 10 minutes long videos while pretending to be a guy from Africa.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom