Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game features:
  • 22 character classes!
  • A module so hard only six of them are useful!
  • 10 races, including the only four you'll ever use: human, half-giant, elf, and mantis!
  • Fast save-loading because you'll be doing it 10-100 times per fight!
  • Randomized attribute point-buy, so you can neither have high attributes nor the attribute scores you want!

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Banking XP has activated easy mode, the only fight that was hard so far was the death snare. The lich? Dead in 4 rounds. Hags? All died in the first round. Maphistor? Decided to take him on for the xp, killed one guy so I was forced to use a true resurrection scroll, but otherwise he got chopped up real good with the executioner which by the way may be even more powerful than the greatmaces, when it goes off which is often I dole out 100-300 points of damage in a round. My psions can clear entire rooms by themselves and what they don't get the gladiators do.

Last thing left is Settram and her statue boyfriend then the tripping brigade, after that it's off to Gleeclub. Current plan is to bank until I clear the courtyard and then level up before the frontal assault. Decided to go with the archmage robe for my wizard, swiped Pizarra's mantle from her and bought the crown as well so now he's up to his eyeballs in spellslots.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hah. Pierre is gonna have to do better next module, this is simply too easy.
He should also fix the XP banking if he doesn't want it to be a feature; it's simply enough to write a check like "If C.hasEnoughXPtoLevel then giveXPasIfPotentialLevel."

Though to be fair, doing the banking requires you to clear things at a lower level, so it's risk/reward.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
It was very touch and go and some of it came down to exploiting some very strange behavior in the AI, for example the jarl and the trolls became completely obsessed with attacking the low level air elementals I summoned which let my gladiators move in and tear them up in a few rounds.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
how does this efreet at the end of the crypt work? he keeps destroying my party with awesome maneuvers like ->5 foot step + 2x spell like ability + full attack (4x), or move + wizard spell + 2 x SLA
I mean, why? This must be bugged, right?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
how does this efreet at the end of the crypt work? he keeps destroying my party with awesome maneuvers like ->5 foot step + 2x spell like ability + full attack (4x), or move + wizard spell + 2 x SLA
I mean, why? This must be bugged, right?

Use the deep slumber scroll on him then hit him with the coup de grace. You still have the deep slumber scroll, right?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
yeah can try that, but still, how does he get that many actions each round? casting 2 different SLA, casting a wizard spell on top and then still atacking with his weapons?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I kid you not he just did the following combat round: 5 foot step, cast energy wall, cast scorching ray (2 rays), cast gust of wind (wizard), sunder 1 of my melee guys, then disarm the other melee guy
I'm sorry what? Free action doesn't mean you can do all your SLAs in 1 round, right? This shit must be bugged to hell and back.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
git gud

balance_pierre6fjdf.png

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Oh don't worry, shit's gonna get much worse than that. Gotta survive his cancerous first turn, but after that I had my cleric cast silence and moved in with my two melee chars to beat his ass, no scrolls needed. iirc there's a sword you get while clearing the previous chambers that works wonderfully against him.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No, free action means just that, free action. Many monsters in D&D get abilities as free action.

In the case of that enemy, he can:

Energy Wall as a free action
Enlarge as a free action
Scorching Ray as a move action
Greater Gust of wind as a free action

He also has the Greater Sunder/Disarm feats, which means he can do 1 of those as a free swift maneuver action as well. So in your case, it's all legit:

Free 5 foot step
Free gust
Free energy wall
Free sunder as swift maneuver
Move action Scorching Ray
Remaining Standard action disarm (thanks to his feat)

All legit. No bug there.

Now is it good design to give an enemy all these free action SLAs? Well...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You are gonna have to get used to this 'puzzle aspect.' With some enemies you really want to find the scroll/spell they are vulnerable against. You can in theory fight them 'the hard way' but that is just smashing you skull against a wall.

Big F to people that used all their scrolls earlier.

Dorateen

Arcane
Hearkenwold in the KotC2 engine?

RuJASzd.jpg

This is just a draft, but I don't know. I'll have to look into the toolset deeper to see if the scripting would be compatible enough to replicate the campaign. What's interesting is that the tilemap maker I use for the IceBlink toolset creates images that are 1024 x 1024, which fits the parameters for KotC2 backgrounds. SO I would be able to transfer over maps easily enough. Still, this would be a colossal undertaking as the Hearkenwold campaign has greatly expanded.

I'll think about it.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
the deep slumber scroll worked, damn i wanted to learn this scroll

I didn't use a single scroll until Pizarra, I killed the genie before helping the goblins, just win initiative, let your fighter/gladiator walk right to him and trip him, the rest just surround him and smack him, his reaction is usually get up and try to disarm you which is pointless. Also try to stomp him with your psionic. Another option is cast silence on him with your cleric and he we will have to result to melee

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I am curious how you did the Fire room without using any of the ice scrolls or the confusion scroll.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I am curious how you did the Fire room without using any of the ice scrolls or the confusion scroll.
If you mean the room up that ladder after getting your stuff back, I managed it with a Druid and a trippy Fighter. It's been a couple days now, but I know I used a summoned wolf to keep the top, weaker guy busy. That wolf has like 80 HP at that point, if you take the summoning feats, and enemies seem to hate summons more than anything. The Fighter kept tripping and attacking the bigger enemy until it was dead. I got lucky it didn't drop my fighter in one hit like it does sometimes. A trippy Fighter is pretty good in one-on-one fights.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I now kinda regret not backing and getting the toolset to play around dammit

Steam when
I think some people have been able to get a copy by emailing Pierre and working something out. It won't be on Steam for a while.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron

I got to the salamander with a level 5 wizard and level 5 fighter. Round 1 you cast haste and move the wizard behind the wall. Delay with the fighter and full attack the elemental ( 4 attacks ) when he approaches. The salamander will approach too and do nothing ( there is a very small chance he will use fireball on your lone warrior, just reload )
Turn 2: ice lance the salamander, if he gets stunned the fight is over.

I just recreated it on a video if you are interested, It makes the encounter look like a joke.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xtqge23vuiy82d/Easy fire cave.mp4?dl=0

Maybe I'll do one for the genie too.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I kid you not he just did the following combat round: 5 foot step, cast energy wall, cast scorching ray (2 rays), cast gust of wind (wizard), sunder 1 of my melee guys, then disarm the other melee guy
I'm sorry what? Free action doesn't mean you can do all your SLAs in 1 round, right? This shit must be bugged to hell and back.

He warned us he was inspired by BG 2, all these scripted auto-cast gave him some ideas, nobody listened, now you get it.

Hearkenwold in the KotC2 engine?

RuJASzd.jpg

This is just a draft, but I don't know. I'll have to look into the toolset deeper to see if the scripting would be compatible enough to replicate the campaign. What's interesting is that the tilemap maker I use for the IceBlink toolset creates images that are 1024 x 1024, which fits the parameters for KotC2 backgrounds. SO I would be able to transfer over maps easily enough. Still, this would be a colossal undertaking as the Hearkenwold campaign has greatly expanded.

I'll think about it.

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

I was half expecting it, half hoping for it when reading your last update, i hope it works out. :bro:

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Why does the summoned griffin get less HP than the wolf? It doesn't seem fair. Also, why is Summon Scorpion a standard action when the other animal summons seem to be move actions? Nothing makes sense.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron

There you go my party is half dead already with no spell slots left, still if you know what you're doing it looks easy:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3jogakgbaw56zy/Easy genie.mp4?dl=0

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom