Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghost of Tsushima - open world game set in feudal Japan

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This guy has interesting commentary:

>Japanese professor
>some pasty white guy
:nocountryforshitposters:
And his pronunciation is terrible. I know it's hard to quickly switch between English and Japanese due to "mechanical" differences, but it doesn't seem like he even tries.

Yeah,it gave a good laugh,every time he was larping with that Edo "jidai" i was grinning like an idiot lol. Tho the weeb is right about being an edo era romanticism wank and not actual Kamakura era. Most of the video was him using jap words to simulate an aura of authority on the mater,but he was talking about common knowledge shit. The only new thing i learned was that the slicing action of cleaning was an edo remnant and not a "modern" retardation.

SkinnJakka

Novice
I am personally excited for this game, so I'm getting it right after work tomorrow. Even made a checklist to prepare mentally for it.

Cheapest Sake I can find ✔
Ramen noodles ✔
Waifu pillow ✔
Watch Kurosawa-san's best samurai movie before playing (Ikuru) ✔
Dishonoring my family ✔

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tho the weeb is right about being an edo era romanticism wank and not actual Kamakura era.

It's a mainstream action heavily stylized game. It's about as historically authentic as AC Odyssey with medusas, minotaurs and female Spartan warriors. Can't expect realism from triple A Sony exclusives.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
i dont give a shit about the realism. Sekiro has giant snakes and zombies ffs, and its a great game, one of the greatest of all time in fact. On the other hand, I do care that every one of the encounters theyve shown so far seem suspiciously set up in such a way that the average dork can get his OMG SO EPIC moments without much trouble. IOW: there seems to be very little need for mastery of the combat mechanics. Chewing through 10 guys in a few seconds in some areas of sekiro requires some serious skill or creativity. This just looks like your typical asscreed/arkham mash button to look cool shit.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Who cares about realism when you can still enjoy a beautiful Samurai game?
I enjoyed watching their gameplay video. The actual gameplay, not so much.
Yeah, watching an LP now. The story, VO, setting are great. I love the main Mongol dude, what a Chad. Hope he'll conquer Japan. But the gameplay looks dreary af. It's really just another AC.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

Who the hell cares, you wouldn't know gameplay if it sat on your face. Being an opinionated blowhard and french to boot, I suppose that's to be expected - but consider this: you are a worthless, autistic faggot. Killing yourself is the way to go.

Truly a waste of space.
cool_story_bro.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Who the hell cares, you wouldn't know gameplay if it sat on your face. Being an opinionated blowhard and french to boot, I suppose that's to be expected - but consider this: you are a worthless, autistic faggot. Killing yourself is the way to go.

Truly a waste of space.
cool_story_bro.png
Stop following me around the forum with your butthurt. Let it ease off a little :lol:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Stop following me around the forum with your butthurt. Let it ease off a little :lol:

Presenting facts about your utter inability to even describe gameplay, is not inappropriate. You're such a fucking tryhard faggot that you just ape what others tell you to think.

Not a single original though in that melon of yours. Waste of space.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
CohhCarnage is playing the game,there is videos on youtube. I watched a bit,and LoL does it looks generic and ugly. When i saw it i was laughing my ass off at how low rez they are,it makes sense after all it is sony exclusive garbage.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Presenting facts about your utter inability to even describe gameplay, is not inappropriate. You're such a fucking tryhard faggot that you just ape what others tell you to think.

Not a single original though in that melon of yours. Waste of space.
Yeah, yeah, back to licking your wounds, dumbfuck.

Isak

Educated
I'm almost done with the game.
Here are some of my thoughts/findings/opinions about the game, for those who read the reviews and are on the fence about buying the game:

While I do think that it takes some cues from other games — what open world game doesn't at this point? — I think it still has a very unique atmosphere and feel. It definitely stands out among more generic open world games like Ubisoft's usual output.

The open world is gorgeous and it's the star of the show for much of the game. It's certainly not there to just house repetitive side content.
Although there is some repetition, the locations you discover are quite varied. There are bandit camps, but there are also little shrines to meditate at, cool platforming challenges, some beautifully quiet moments.
And the world is full of random events, especially on the roads. Mongol patrols, supply caravans, hostage situations... very lively.

Combat is really not Assassin's Creed, you have much more freedom than they did. It's quite a unique combat system -- halfway between realism and a more action-based game like God of War, or even Sekiro depending on the enemy that you're fighting.
You're forced into combat at multiple points, particularly for boss fights. There's lot more combat in this than people realise — I certainly wouldn't call it a stealth game. It's more an action game with stealth elements. Some main story missions (and a couple of side quests) force you to be stealthy otherwise it's a game over. But there aren't many of these. For everything else in the game,
That said, you can still be stealthy when the option is there. There are plenty of camps to conquer and you can definitely go full stealth for those, or you can ignore stealth entirely if you want.

And it's quite a lonely game. There aren't many big settlements because everyone's on the run from the Mongols, who control most of the island. But the characters who you do meet are all nicely fleshed out.

There is a map screen that shows the whole map, but areas you haven't visited will be covered by fog. You do get markers for quests and points of interest that are nearby, but apart from that, you simply follow the wind.
There are also little birds to follow that'll lead you to secrets, and the world does a great job of leading you places through visuals alone. It's really well designed in that sense.

There are a handful of armour sets in the game that provide specific perks. Fortunately, all of them look very cool. The armour is also just one full piece — you don't have to mix and match to get the bonuses. This ain't no RPG, son.
You can wear any hat and mask with any armour, too. And all of the headwear is cosmetic only.
You also get armour that's dedicated to more stealthy ninja playstyles later on.

Lots of side quests - over 60 in total, most of which are dedicated to specific characters who also play a role in the main story. All of the main characters each have their own series of side quests that tell you all about them. By the end, I was invested in all of Jin's allies.
A lot of the side quests also have a detective-like feel to them, like the ones in The Witcher 3. You investigate shacks in the middle of nowhere and find clues that tell you what happened, that kind of thing.

While the worldbuilding isn't as detailed as something like Red Dead 2 imo, there are still lots of secrets to find and stories to piece together. Some of the bigger side quests in particular tell fantastic stories.

The Black and white mode, i.e. the Kurosawa Mode, is phenomenal. As a Criterion Collection cinephile, I've to admit it does a great job of capturing that japanese movie feel. Almost feels like a different game at times. Even the audio crackles like old movies — it's glorious. And to add to that, the mode features added grain and wind effects that perfectly complement the black & white visuals.
And the photo mode in this game simply outstanding. I've wasted so much time already recreating scenes from my favorite Kurosawa films with the photo-mode.

Lastly, I think the story feels very final when it ends. I'm not sure much more could be added on the island of Tsushima itself — I think a DLC would have to go off to mainland Japan or something.
That said, I do think there's scope for some kind of expansion. There are maybe two or three locations in the game where nothing really happens, and it made me wonder if they'll feature in a DLC or something. It's very tough to say.

Enjoy the game if you plan on getting it, it's terrific!

Last edited:

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
... snip ...

That's just a convoluted way of saying that the game is shit.

That's just the poor man's way of saying "All PS4 exclusives are shit coz I can't afford a PS4".

What a depressing internet loser.

wait

this game came out yesterday, and you're already "almost done with" it? This means you've presumably put 10-15 hours into the game, in less than 24 hours, which not only makes you a depressing loser, but it also makes this is a pretty paltry offering as far as open world games these days if you're already almost done with it.

Isak

Educated
... snip ...

That's just the poor man's way of saying "All PS4 exclusives are shit coz I can't afford a PS4".

wait

this game came out yesterday, and you're already "almost done with" it? This means you've presumably put 10-15 hours into the game, in less than 24 hours, which not only makes you a depressing loser, but it also makes this is a pretty paltry offering as far as open world games these days if you're already almost done with it.

Imagine not living in Australia and getting the game almost a day before everyone.

That makes it 2 days aka 48 hours.

Checkmate dude, sorry.
:dance:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Imagine not living in Australia and getting the game almost a day before everyone.

Checkmate dude, sorry.
except it takes months to download anything through shitty aussie internet.

Isak

Educated
It makes him a prestigious hardcore gamer.

Isak How was the performance? Locked 30 fps?

Frame rate mode keeps it locked at 30 no matter what. Resolution mode sees some dips but the visuals are much more crisp. I do really hope that the inevitable PS5 upgrade adds a 60fps option, though.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
... snip ...

wait

Checkmate dude, sorry.

No, this just makes it look even worse: you got this game on a thursday and have clocked in those hours since, which means you dont have a job. Which means mommy or centerlink bought you that PS4, which makes you even more of a loser. There are two unavoidable conclusions, either or, either you're a NEET or this game has so little content someone can casually playthrough it in ~10 hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom