Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Cael

Arcane
You guys make me so sad. I have a deep love for the tabletop Battletech game (3025-3055) and have finished the original Mech Warrior, BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception, and both Mech Commander games. I was so ready to throw money at this game, but unless I support a Kickstarter then I never pre-order a game and prefer to wait for the reviews. When I heard this one was shit, I thought that it might get fixed by mods or patches by now, but here we still are. And it's not like Hairbrained Schemes have fessed up to the problems or show any indication that they learned something. In fact, they've moved on to other IPs. And to my knowledge no one else is planning to make an RPG based upon the BattleTech license, although there's a huge fan base for giant mecha. I feel like I'm trapped in a skit for Waiting for Godot.

For some reason Mech games have gone downhill. Never understood why. Mechwarrior used to be the shit, especially Mechwarrior 2 used to be a huge brand name in the 90s, i recall every game magazine mentioning it all the time back then. For some reason while technology allowed for better Mechwarrior games, we never got them. It puzzles me to this day. I even played the original Mechwarrior SNES game back then, in an emulator. LOL.
MW2 had cutting edge graphics for its day, and was very true to the tabletop in terms of 'mech building. MW2Mercs brought in the idea of a living universe, where you can ignore main campaign missions and just do procedurals, but the main campaign missions will disappear if you miss their kickoff dates. It had a rudimentary living market, where chassis or weapons that were there one day, could disappear the next day. The campaign missions were tricky and had a variety of scenario objectives that were not "kill everyone" (one of the side missions was basically zip in, scan 4 DropShips and run away; another was a main campaign mission where you can kill everyone and take a stolen 'mech back to your employer or backstab them, elude enemy patrols and take the 'mech for yourself).

MW3 lost a lot of that as it was back to standard "you are a loyal Davion unit out to kill Clanners", but it still retained the 'mech building aspect.

MW4 tossed everything out the window, had a derpy PC, and hilarious, over the top villains that were nothing but caricatures. The Mercs version of it had the laziest voice actor for the PC I have ever seen in any game, and, well, it had a market, but that is all I can say about it. I'd call it a warehouse rather than a market, to be honest, as things get added in, but nothing gets taken away, nor do the prices change. Oh, and you can buy and sell Clan 'tech on the open market...

It was a pretty rapid decline, and you can thank microshite for that.

Last edited:
For some reason Mech games have gone downhill. Never understood why.
because videogaming as a whole has gone downhill. just think of mechwarrior 3 -> mechwarrior 4 -> mechasshat. consolification, everything must fit on a joypad with just a few buttons. only now that the chad console market is going back to its incel size origins we might have a sliver og hope to see something a bit more complex back, but i wouldn't count on it. the market as a whole is just too big to pass the chance to sell something to the lowest common denominator.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Whoever programmed this pile of shit shouldn't be working in the industry at this level. I can't comprehend how you can ship something like this and still look at yourself in the mirror - and then proceed to do absolutely nothing about it and release some half-ass cashgrab DLC's the following year. It's doubly disappointing because the base game, while bland, provided plenty of modding opportunities to make something great. However, this isn't Bethesda level incompetence, this is so much worse, because mods can't fix fundamental problems with the engine itself.

I understand that its truism at current year, but Unity attracted lots of developers without strong knowledge of algorithms and proper coding starting from low level languages. The people who can write efficient algorithms aren't working on Unity games, or even in gaming industry.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
BT isn’t shit at all. Missed opportunities indeed. The question is — why. Lack of financing I’d say.
As for the main campaign I’ve done it and had overall a good time, yet always wanting more. More tech, more pilots development, more mech customization. Some plot missions were really cool, especially those with timers.
Pity they abandoned the franchise, because Urban Warfare was overall a right step towards something bigger tactically and visually.
Thing is — a market for oldschool gaming is pretty thin and exhausted, thus we have great concepts with lack of implemented features.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Decided to wait till it gets patched with more content at a discount.
Maybe it was the bad reviews & low expectations but I'm having fun despite the flaws.
You can have 'they' as a non-binary pronoun for your pilots. :lol:

I notice vehicles often have rare weapons while mechs don't and I appear to get those rare weapons as a salvage, does this work with no rare salvage option?

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
BT isn’t shit at all. Missed opportunities indeed. The question is — why. Lack of financing I’d say.
More like a tranny trying too hard to be a girl and ended up sounding like an autistic, squealing 6 year old. "She is so pretty and beautiful and she's a PRINCESS!!! SQUEEEE!!!!"

Vatnik Wumao
Decided to wait till it gets patched with more content at a discount.
Maybe it was the bad reviews & low expectations but I'm having fun despite the flaws.
You can have 'they' as a non-binary pronoun for your pilots. :lol:

I notice vehicles often have rare weapons while mechs don't and I appear to get those rare weapons as a salvage, does this work with no rare salvage option?

Its enjoyable at first, but then several hours in you realize that your strategy never changes and that light units are fairly worthless. Then it becomes a bore.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
wait till it gets patched
dude, the game's dead, it's been like that for months already. maybe a year? i don't know, they said the last expansion would had been the last expansion ever.
Yes, I'm saying that I bought it after waiting till it gets patched/dlcs with discounts, after the last update in Feb this year.
Base game was less than $10.
Going to wait for MW5 as well.

One thing about BT is I don't find it addictive.

Last edited:

valky667

Novice

It's a 2-sided sword and I played quite a bit ~28 years ago, usually 3025 & 3055 rules. But clanner-player are the biggest ego-whores there is; they can't do jackshit without their battle-hardened 1/1/1/1 pilots + extra re-rolls & other gimmicks.
And if you by any chance land a lucky hit, let's say a head-crit and force the pilot to eject - thy come up with other stupid nonsense and call it 'house-rules' sure, sure....
It's nice for a change with Inner Sphere player only or mercs.

@topic: I never got to finish the campaign, because it's repetitive³³ and they even said 'mix your lance' - 'use a combination of arms' blabla .. once you sit safe & sound in your 90-100to lance you just call it a day. The special BK (BlackKnight semi-omni) is quite nice, though.
Tried to give the game another shot recently in the new free-mode..played for ~40h, same story. I still rack up 191 hours gametime, so it's not a complete loss.
hint: avoid the DLCs, they are a stupid cash-grab and use a mod instead....same effect but cheaper.

And as Syme mentioned: Mechcommander is the coolest game ever released, even the AddOn was awesome. There it actually paid off to take a light mech every now and then...
Darn /me makes a note on my to-play-list!

Cael

Arcane

It's a 2-sided sword and I played quite a bit ~28 years ago, usually 3025 & 3055 rules. But clanner-player are the biggest ego-whores there is; they can't do jackshit without their battle-hardened 1/1/1/1 pilots + extra re-rolls & other gimmicks.
And if you by any chance land a lucky hit, let's say a head-crit and force the pilot to eject - thy come up with other stupid nonsense and call it 'house-rules' sure, sure....
It's nice for a change with Inner Sphere player only or mercs.

@topic: I never got to finish the campaign, because it's repetitive³³ and they even said 'mix your lance' - 'use a combination of arms' blabla .. once you sit safe & sound in your 90-100to lance you just call it a day. The special BK (BlackKnight semi-omni) is quite nice, though.
Tried to give the game another shot recently in the new free-mode..played for ~40h, same story. I still rack up 191 hours gametime, so it's not a complete loss.
hint: avoid the DLCs, they are a stupid cash-grab and use a mod instead....same effect but cheaper.

And as Syme mentioned: Mechcommander is the coolest game ever released, even the AddOn was awesome. There it actually paid off to take a light mech every now and then...
Darn /me makes a note on my to-play-list!
In Mechcommander 2, unless under special circumstances, I run with lights or the Sha Yu. You get to train up more pilots that way, and speed is crucial to several missions.

In Mechcommander 1, I will always have the fastest 'mech I have in the field. It's only task is to grab all of the resource warehouses before the mission ends.

valky667

Novice
In Mechcommander 2, unless under special circumstances, I run with lights or the Sha Yu. You get to train up more pilots that way, and speed is crucial to several missions.

In Mechcommander 1, I will always have the fastest 'mech I have in the field. It's only task is to grab all of the resource warehouses before the mission ends.

MC2: while finished back then...I wasn't really satisfied by the shift to 3D (garbage) - like nearly every game tried. 'hey look, fancy 3D....' It looked and felt dead, it's hard for me to describe it..but it was just not 'wow - holy fuck'. You did your missions and such, but it never felt fulfilling, but rather empty.

MC1 on the other hand...I played in a league with the platform they had back then online MP. That is such a masterpiece! I might have finished both campaigns (game + addon) at least 4 times....I get horny just thinking of that game....the outfitting of your mechs, the replay of a mission if you don't get some mech you desire....especially early on.
And then you field your first Atlas.... *sigh* - this MECH has actually a big fucking 'FUCK YOU' sign above its head! Fuck and I just got a tear in my eye....

Sadly, I don't have a CD/DVD rom anymore since 10 years....but am a mighty pirate 'lol' (I have the org + gold edition somewhere, though! I like to support good games)

That times.....ah 'MCG.iso' sounds legit ^^

Cael

Arcane

MC2: while finished back then...I wasn't really satisfied by the shift to 3D (garbage) - like nearly every game tried. 'hey look, fancy 3D....' It looked and felt dead, it's hard for me to describe it..but it was just not 'wow - holy fuck'. You did your missions and such, but it never felt fulfilling, but rather empty.

MC1 on the other hand...I played in a league with the platform they had back then online MP. That is such a masterpiece! I might have finished both campaigns (game + addon) at least 4 times....I get horny just thinking of that game....the outfitting of your mechs, the replay of a mission if you don't get some mech you desire....especially early on.
And then you field your first Atlas.... *sigh* - this MECH has actually a big fucking 'FUCK YOU' sign above its head! Fuck and I just got a tear in my eye....

Sadly, I don't have a CD/DVD rom anymore since 10 years....but am a mighty pirate 'lol' (I have the org + gold edition somewhere, though! I like to support good games)

That times.....ah 'MCG.iso' sounds legit ^^
The Atlas was too slow. I ran with Mad Cats and Vultures a lot, IIRC, until I started getting Masakaris.

Phinx

Augur
As for the main campaign I’ve done it and had overall a good time, yet always wanting more. More tech, more pilots development, more mech customization. Some plot missions were really cool, especially those with timers.
Pity they abandoned the franchise, because Urban Warfare was overall a right step towards something bigger tactically and visually.
Thing is — a market for oldschool gaming is pretty thin and exhausted, thus we have great concepts with lack of implemented features.

It's more than just lack of funding. Shadowrun Returns they received a fair bit more than their initial kickstarter goal. Couldn't even implement a decent save system, optimization is terrible. Issues kept cropping up all the way till Hong Kong. I love the lore and decided to start up a project on the Hong Kong engine as it's something I've always wanted to do. The hoops I've had to jump through to make it to where I am now is ridiculous.

To fit 40 plus NPC's on a single map makes the load times nigh intolerable, so I've had to post load NPC's as you enter interiors inside a scene. It's not hard to see why their large city maps feel like a ghost town and yet still have insane loading times.

Pseudo real-time runs into tons of issues when scripting. Modding custom music was a pain, they made tools for UGC creators and modders, but with next to no way to import models. Persistence between scenes doesn't exist unless you manually attach variables to keep track of everything.

They do some good work, but god damn do they need to get some higher skilled programmers in the mix to fix up their mess. Year after year I wait for some good Mech games, Warhammer 40k games, and Shadowrun games. HBS's Shadowrun series I did enjoy btw, but just like Battletech, there is so much wasted potential.

I just purchased Mechanicus a week ago also, more wasted potential. Never ends.....

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
If you guys want to play a Battletech game with all the real rules and virtual open sandbox, try MegaMek (specifically MekHQ, which allows you to play against the bot, aka,. single player). It takes a bit of setting up, but once it is done, man, it gets intense, and in this one, unlike other games, money WILL be a big factor. Be prepared for dwarf fortress style of "losing is fun".

Best of all? It is free and sjw-free.

just fyi: updating roguetech means it nuclearizes the installation and redownloads all its several gbs it's made of.
fuck you, i wanted to go to sleep two hours ago.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
If you guys want to play a Battletech game with all the real rules and virtual open sandbox, try MegaMek (specifically MekHQ, which allows you to play against the bot, aka,. single player). It takes a bit of setting up, but once it is done, man, it gets intense, and in this one, unlike other games, money WILL be a big factor. Be prepared for dwarf fortress style of "losing is fun".

Best of all? It is free and sjw-free.

I was really hoping that this game was going to be a stripped down MegaMek. That's really what I want. MegaMek with a sleek UI, focused story, mercenary Inner Sphere battles once that is done. And I want an ending for each faction if I can somehow help them dominate the IS.

That's all I want. Instead I got this game that I backed and it turned out to be a turd.

lightbane

Arcane
It was really bad to see in real time the warning signs (Kevin "becoming" Kevina, casually raping the lore, asspulling a form-fitting suit that was never seen before, the she-mudslime engineer, etc.) but nothing could be done because you happened to think it would be like that, instead of a poorly coded mess with a pronoun selector and lack of blonde hair option for your character creation.

Cael

Arcane
It was really bad to see in real time the warning signs (Kevin "becoming" Kevina, casually raping the lore, asspulling a form-fitting suit that was never seen before, the she-mudslime engineer, etc.) but nothing could be done because you happened to think it would be like that, instead of a poorly coded mess with a pronoun selector and lack of blonde hair option for your character creation.
The tranny raped the lore so hard, the motherfuckers had to invent new stuff that goes against established canon in order to asspull their way out of it:

"The Argo class of DropShips was created specifically for the (apocryphal) 2018 BattleTech video game over the course of the crowdfunding campaign, and fans were quick to point out that its capability to carry Leopard DropShips with it through a jump seemed to violate established rules for how jump drives worked (the DropShip/JumpShip dichotomy and ultimately, the entire BattleTech FTL space travel concept deriving from it). The MDCS was invented to reconcile the Argo with established canon."

DeepOcean

Arcane
Anyone know something about copyright law? Can you take the mech designs from BattleTech and use them on other games with only changing the names of the mechs, locations, characters and the weapons? I heard you can copyright specific stuff like names, story text or specific material that was used on the game like textures and models that were actually used on the game but you cant copyright art style, in theory, you could copy the visual design, make your own models on your game with your own made up names without Microsoft suing you into oblivion.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Heck, BattleTech specifically has a LOT of history with litigation over visual likenesses, the whole Harmony Gold debacle that has lasted decades is heavily about that. BattleTech as a whole is even more of a minefield than usual because of all the complicated shit about who owns what, and then you have licensed art that's owned by a third-party (and one reason why the Harmony Gold debacle is so complicated and involves more than just BattleTech as an IP, the root cause there was the complicated legal status of licensing of Macross outside of Japan, as original boxed set of BattleTech licensed art from Macross and Harmony Gold claimed total ownership to all things Macross outside of Japan due to some weird 80's licensing contracts they had with Big West Advertising Tatsunoko, or rather Harmony Gold were are just being total crooks about the matter and trying to steal someone else's shit), and so on.

But yea, short version would be that there's a reason why a term like "legally distinct" exists and is most often specifically about visuals.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom