Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rec me something like Wiz 7/8?

should templargr shut the fuck up

• Total voters

Ensi

Educated
I need a game to play, most likely a blobber but if there's something similar in other ways to Wiz 7/8 I'd be open--you know, great character creation/customization, fun exploration, difficult without being stupidly hard.

Anything modern-ish? I've played Grimoire and Grimrock. Haven't played a ton of blobbers though so I'm probably missing some obvious stuff. Tried playing one of those Elminage games but idk how I felt about it.

Added a poll for fun.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Seconding (thirding) Wizards&Warriors, but apart from that:
Realms of Arkania (originals) - while combat is fought on isometric grid instead of blobber-style, the battles are relatively small-scale (nothing like Goldbox games) and infrequent, so you don't get bogged down in combat. And the trilogy absolutely nails character customization and exploration.
Amberstar is also not quite a blobber - it has weird mix of first-person and top-down areas - and character customization is a bit more restricted. But the level and quest design is some of the best, and combat system is an interesting compomise between grid and blobber-style.
Of newer games, Lords of Xulima - its exploration is isometric rather than first-person, but in all other aspects it's the closest thing to a Wizardry-style blobber that is not Grimoire.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Other than Wizards & Warriors, which is excellent, I quite enjoyed Might & Magic X among newer blobbers. Lords of Xulima is another one, though it is not quite a blobber.

If you're up for some older titles, Realms of Arkania 2 is fantastic and the graphics and UI still hold up to this day. The combat is isometric, though it can be skipped with auto-resolve.

Other than Grimoire, there is not really another title like Wizardry 7 though. And yeah, I waited for almost 20 years for it to come out - with Wiz7 being one of my favorites.

Ensi

Educated
Xulima looks like the kind of thing I'm wanting, but I should prolly check some of these others out as well. I keep hearing so much about the Realms of Arkania games.

Viata

Arcane
Xulima is horrible, though. What kind of drug one has to take to recommend it in a "rec ne something like WIz7 and Wiz8" thread? It has nothing to do with Wizardry. Nothing.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Admittedly, I have yet to play 7 & 8, but I recall that the Mordor series, before it turned into Demise, was a bit like Wizardry in the character creation aspect. Its more of a hardcore dungeon crawler than the overworld-based Wizardry though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom