Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3D Fallouts VATS System

Did you like the 3D Falout's VATS System?

• YES!

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • NO!

Votes: 45 55.6%
  • Kingcomrade!

Votes: 14 17.3%

• Total voters
It's probably best to read all TemplarGR post like he means the exact opposite of anything he writes.

Codex Year of the Donut
. Give the player an unexplained superpower (it's supposedly part of the pip-boy, but other characters with pip-boys can't make use of it)
This is wrong btw.

Not saying I agree with the explanation, but they did try to provide one.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
V.A.T.S was Bethesda's attempt to make some attributes relevant and give player to chance to opt out of their godawful gunplay.
The idea of a slowdown mode in a stat based RPG isn't really inherently shit, if the designs complements it. Like if free aiming was only accurate enough to reliably hit center of mass, the enemy types required you to hit specific body parts to survive encounters and the hit chances were adjusted appropriately, it could work. But there was zero reason to hit anywhere but in the head, free aiming allowed to hit everywhere pretty accurately and the slowdown was only useful for cheating for more time to react.

How is that any different from aiming for specific body parts in old games? I mean, I used it, not all the time, but it was good fun every now and then.

I have no strong feelings about it, really. It wasn't a flagship feature that sells the games for me, but it was good fun.

Because in the old games it wasn't displayed in 3-D.

Now I love isometric & 2-D games, and am no big fan of the 3-D revolution at all, but I'll admit it was just really entertaining seeing it all in action.

Bare in mind I love shit horror flicks, and am a big fan of things such as watching Freddy's cheesy kill scenes, and these to me had something of that "quality"

It was just fun to watch and felt satisfying.

I really hated the violence in Fallout 3. Bullets don't so much explode heads (or any part of the body) in Fallout 3 as they do push them off the body. The modeling on it all is so bad it looks less like some cool bit of violence and more like a 3D version of those exploding Aliens toy Kenner made in the early '90s.

3mj_XJyoTwoSnYr6tISHC_TxOgLmJ1aBUUnuRi4pOHQbqu_sN6pNgBjRgwQ8P1GVMonHVZj-P4k6tjy32K97TQo1z7l253GgEATjqKC0ORNhqevlqbvo1NmfGw

Feels less like you're shooting someone and more like your bullet hit the button on their body that makes them pop apart.

It's all the worse too because the original Fallout games have some of the best death animations in video games.

Pentium

Learned
I really hated the violence in Fallout 3. Bullets don't so much explode heads (or any part of the body) in Fallout 3 as they do push them off the body. The modeling on it all is so bad it looks less like some cool bit of violence and more like a 3D version of those exploding Aliens toy Kenner made in the early '90s.
And the dark red sprites and textures on body parts don't even look like blood. The overblown light reflections (=white stains on red goo) are equally aweful.

It's all the worse too because the original Fallout games have some of the best death animations in video games.
Yeah but I always luled hard at how the rocket stopped on the spot before playing the explosion animation.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Don't think VATS is really that useful.
If I need to aim well, I just need to take a dose of Jet for 10 sec slow mo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom