Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Is there a single good 4X game with an active multiplayer community

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dominions is too big brain for me. Recommend something that doesn't require me to learn an entire manual by heart just to get the basics.
Why don't you try to find players for a 4x game you like already instead of asking to learn a new one that will almost certainly be inferior and probably have an equally dead multi scene? The only games with independent active communities I'm aware of are A) casualised trash made for normies, like Civ 6, B) Paradox games that have their own issues and C) Grognard games kept alive by those who refuse to submit to A and B, like the already aforementioned Dominons.

Perkel

Arcane
4X and multiplayer doesn't mash well to begin with as 4X aspect is to manage huge empire which requires a lot of time.

Civ can do that because it is pretty simple game.

Either way paradox games do have some multiplayer base mostly because they are real time instead of turn based.

Citizen

Dominions is too big brain for me. Recommend something that doesn't require me to learn an entire manual by heart just to get the basics.

HoMM3/5 and AoW1/SM have a lot of active players, they aren't really 4x tho. Endless Legend and Space have sorta active playerbases too

Latro

Arcane
anyways, you should fine-tune your search for a wargame rather than a 4x. not many people like the idea of losing a match because your opponent reached a "auto win research goal" like in alpha centauri, and big wargames like dominions 5 already have long single turns with streamlined research/base-building. the aforementioned homm3/age of wonders games have active MP scenes because of the streamlining, not in spite of it

I bet battle for Wesnoth has an active community, but I have never played it and don't know how good it is. I have downloaded it because its free on steam and it seems to have a lot of variety in campaign and scenario design. It looks like an AoW clone, and has been around for a long time and I think it might have an active community. Maybe someone who has played it can say how good it is. But its free, so if it sucks, its not much of a loss, except time, which is not a small thing I admit.

edit: Dominions is awesome, but it does take a long time to master and I don't think I would want to play it multiplayer because I would get slaughtered and I don't think I will ever take Dominions seriously enough to be very good at it. But its fun enough for me as a single player game.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I bet battle for Wesnoth has an active community, but I have never played it and don't know how good it is. I have downloaded it because its free on steam and it seems to have a lot of variety in campaign and scenario design. It looks like an AoW clone, and has been around for a long time and I think it might have an active community. Maybe someone who has played it can say how good it is. But its free, so if it sucks, its not much of a loss, except time, which is not a small thing I admit.

edit: Dominions is awesome, but it does take a long time to master and I don't think I would want to play it multiplayer because I would get slaughtered and I don't think I will ever take Dominions seriously enough to be very good at it. But its fun enough for me as a single player game.

I was going to suggest BfW, but it's not 4X.

I was going to suggest BfW, but it's not 4X.

oh, I did not even know that, I thought it was.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Wesnoth is horribly chance based and becomes a slugfest more often than not when both players are able to keep their head in the game.

It's not that it's bad but it's more bloodbowl than Age of wonders.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Why do you need a community? Just get some of your friends, or some random people from here, start up some play-by-E-mail thing, or an old hotseat game if you can trust your friends to not stab you in the back, and boom. Fun. I mean, if you just want to play against randos...well, I can't think of anything there.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
not randos, scheduled games are fine. But enough of a community that I dont have to wait forever to play a session and I can quickly learn the ropes by watching youtube guides or how other people play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom