Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think anyone is supposed/expected to beat augury of chaos on ironman. The ironman mode is an option for other modules.

I don't think anyone was suppose to beat this, period.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't think anyone was suppose to beat this, period.
091.gif

Mortmal

Arcane
It's just untested , no one ever played it pierre included. Look at chapter 3 fight , now its decent and fun, its possible to clear it with a bit of strategy without the level 9 spells.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Look at chapter 3 fight , now its decent and fun, its possible to clear it with a bit of strategy without the level 9 spells.

Future generations will never know the real battle that took place in that room and the countless hours lost in trying to overcome impossible odds.

overtenemy

Augur
Someone keep a folder of the old version so the new ones can have the module edited back to its original difficulty but with the bug fixes. I don't want to play a gayed up version.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'd make it an option, actually I don't dislike the idea of something else (ingredient etc.) that contribute to leveling, but gold cost in his module? Non-sense

Exactly, it would make sense in an open-world adventure where it could abstract away the legwork needed to find training etc., but who the hell are you even paying this gold when you're stuck in the middle of a sewer?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd make it an option, actually I don't dislike the idea of something else (ingredient etc.) that contribute to leveling, but gold cost in his module? Non-sense

Exactly, it would make sense in an open-world adventure where it could abstract away the legwork needed to find training etc., but who the hell are you even paying this gold when you're stuck in the middle of a sewer?

Yeah, the gold cost feels really metagame, presumably because Pierre was worried he'd put too much loot in the module.

Personally I'd have done away with the gold cost and just rebalanced the loot.

cruelio

Savant
It's sort of like Pierre listened to criticisms of the first game:

- rest spam
- trash mobs (mostly in the giants part of the game)
- being able to forge whatever mundane/magical items you want, whenever you wanted, so long as you have the gold/xp
- eventually getting enough gold to buy or forge whatever you wanted and still have enough left over

And was like ok fuckers. That stuff makes you mad. I'll show you.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Status update - my 6 wizard party is now lvl 5, just managed to beat the arena fight while assissting the grey goblins (chaos scroll helped a lot). Now i got 6 chars that can cast fireball, electric sphere and deep slumber XD

Thinking about putting improved/greater magic missile on all toons, when maxxed at lvl11 i get a lvl 1 spell that does a whooping 28-49 dmg, if empowered and maximised with red wizard it becomes a lvl 4 spell that does a nice flat 75 dmg. Doesnt seem too shabby. What do you guys think?

Also, what is the STR check for springing Erzimon out of his cage?

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Did you use any other script? I just tried here and it works perfectly with a single of script:
Wierd, i reselected the x/y and then it worked. Basically, the editor creates some default trigger script with "Onward!"-Dialog + "Continue". And i added the teleportation after. Well, works now.
But how the hell did you add items to a crate/activable object? There is button "Items", but you cannot "add" anything, just duplicate, set quantity...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Did you use any other script? I just tried here and it works perfectly with a single of script:
Wierd, i reselected the x/y and then it worked. Basically, the editor creates some default trigger script with "Onward!"-Dialog + "Continue". And i added the teleportation after. Well, works now.
But how the hell did you add items to a crate/activable object? There is button "Items", but you cannot "add" anything, just duplicate, set quantity...
Yes, I had to check the guide (press F1) for that, it's very weird...

Basically, you have to use the "Add Items" or "Add Weapons & Armor" option from the dropdown menu, select the item/equipment you want from that tiny list on the left side, then hold Ctrl and click on the container/activable object to add one of that item. You WILL scroll a lot to find what you want. Then you can use that "Items" button do change the quantities.

To make it lootable, you have to create a script using script #17: "Display the party leader's inventory with the items found inside the activable zone...". And you have to add the coordinates of the container/activable object in that script. And yes, every single lootable container needs its own script, linking to its own unique coordinates.

Maybe I should make a quick edit guide, bundled with some template scrips for download. It's MUCH faster when you already have simple scripts for looting, dialog, trapped doors and DC checks, then you can just import them and edit. Pierre's scripts in the module have a ton of fluff, like sounds, camera pans, etc...

Last edited:

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Hm, what would be the optimal path for ch2? So far i got minotaur mage - centipedes - mimics - then what?
Then, do the elementals fight, and use a rest from the rat dudes before doing the tombs. After that, you're on rails for a bit until you fight the gobbos and kill the greens with no help.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Yes, I had to check the guide (press F1) for that, it's very weird...

Basically, you have to use the "Add Items" or "Add Weapons & Armor" option from the dropdown menu, select the item/equipment you want from that tiny list on the left side, then hold Ctrl and click on the container/activable object to add one of that item. You WILL scroll a lot to find what you want. Then you can use that "Items" button do change the quantities.

To make it lootable, you have to create a script using script #17: "Display the party leader's inventory with the items found inside the activable zone...". And you have to add the coordinates of the container/activable object in that script. And yes, every single lootable container needs its own script, linking to its own unique coordinates.

Maybe I should make a quick edit guide, bundled with some template scrips for download. It's MUCH faster when you already have simple scripts for looting, dialog, trapped doors and DC checks, then you can just import them and edit. Pierre's scripts in the module have a ton of fluff, like sounds, camera pans, etc...
Thanks, i've skimmed through "help", but it's of course just a massive dump of "tips", hard to navigate. The script part i found in the main module. Honestly, Pierre should have posted some basic editor guide on his page. Add mooks, teleport from map to map, add loot. There, the adventure can begin.
It shows that he is not a programmer. Editor could be more structured and UI doesn't have to look like the game.
Funny new thing: i am trying an arena style loop, where your party is teleported between maps (arena fight -> NPC home ->arena fight, and so on). What do you think, it works the first time, but when teleporting from arena to NPC home map, the NPC vanishes...

Mortmal

Arcane
Look at chapter 3 fight , now its decent and fun, its possible to clear it with a bit of strategy without the level 9 spells.

Future generations will never know the real battle that took place in that room and the countless hours lost in trying to overcome impossible odds.
I still got the old versions too, those are to be put in a museum of horrors.Forget wizardry 4 forget deathlord on the c64, this is the hardest and most frustrating rpg of all time. Thought cleve was the craziest codexer here, but in fact he's just like an eccentric old uncle, now pierre that's someone batshit crazy.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So, I wonder who will finish it on ironman first.

The guy who "rolled" 30s with all the feats ?
I bet i could ironman it on first try with these.

It's sort of like Pierre listened to criticisms of the first game:

- rest spam
- trash mobs (mostly in the giants part of the game)
- being able to forge whatever mundane/magical items you want, whenever you wanted, so long as you have the gold/xp
- eventually getting enough gold to buy or forge whatever you wanted and still have enough left over

And was like ok fuckers. That stuff makes you mad. I'll show you.

Well, i guess an autistic minority had this kind of grudges toward KotC 1...
The game was hard but fair though and you could grind or craft if you found it too hard or just restrain if you didn't, this choice should at the player's discretion.

Fix all the bugs, Remove gold cost to level up, remove XP banking, Balance the classes and races ( no not like in pillars ), add a city hub where you can actually finish the game's quests and buy some equipment like crossbow bolts, some of the content feels rushed/unfinished - the green goblins for example is a big mess, no reason to pick them. Maybe even add random encounters so that you could gain power/items/xp/gold in case you are stuck due to difficulty.

I don't agree with all your statements, how is xp banking a problem, for instance ?
Balance the classes, i'm not sure either, maybe boost a bit the weaker ones but no nerf balancing.

BlueSalamander
Here's a list of options you probably already thought about to make the game enjoyable for everyone but still :
  • Remove the gold cost to level up
  • Add an option to get max HP die rolls
  • Revamped Character creation with both a point buy system and real rolls ToEE/Dark Sun like
  • Un-hardcode races and classes so it's moddable or it's relatively easy to add some (probably one step toward a success on steam)
  • Un-script the AI AoE openings, This kind of thing is only fun when it's really scarce.
  • Random encounters to grind if necessary

Options for an easy adventurer mode (not switchable)
  • Option to increase the xp rewards by 10%, 20% or 30%
  • Same for the Gold rewards (or increase some quest rewards here and there if it's not possible)
  • Starting option adding a couple of feats during character creation (2, 4 or 6 feats)
  • Improving Tougness feats (1 Magic damage reduction + 4HP per Toughness feat OR 2 CON per toughness feat)
  • Improving Die Hard feat (Another -5 HP threshold -10 to -15 cumulative with the warrior feat and additional healing, like another +1D8 or +2D8)
BUG
By the way, got a "new" bug, checking an half-giant fighter (not a pre-rolled) inventory during character creation crashed the game (CTD)

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Forgot about one issue, 1.02 advertised about the stretch option (in full screen mode) being fixed.

Well, i can't find the option anywhere since the upgrade, am i alone in this ?
Is it an installation problem (i uninstalled 1.01 but didn't erase the directory) ?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think the best way of fixing Augury of Chaos would be to introduce a reasonable new chapter II after killing Pizarra but before the Oubliette to let you enter the Oubliette with 1 or 2 more levels, and of course get rid of the dumbo equipment removal and level-up cost. The Oubliette would be nowhere near as offensive if you started it with a properly geared out level 5 party, though obviously I can't say whether that would make any difference further down the line.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm all filled with emotions as i just experienced my first (beside the character creation thing mentioned in the previous page) crash to desktop (quick load -> crash), looks like it's not fixed yet...

Loaded when i realized i missed some content after dealing with pizzara and getting teleported...

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Forgot about one issue, 1.02 advertised about the stretch option (in full screen mode) being fixed.
What do you mean by this? I don't see anything about it in the notes. The closest thing I see is about using Windows Scaling, which does seem to work without ruining the game now.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What do you mean by this? I don't see anything about it in the notes. The closest thing I see is about using Windows Scaling, which does seem to work without ruining the game now.
I was hellishly surprised yesterday when game suddenly started to work in proper QHD while in adventure/combat (all other screens still small and centered) with full-screen on.
63ix7iR.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom