Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Of course, plebbit had to upload a completely rigged and unfair comparison.

For "modern" Western-style games, see Mass Erect 1-3+Andromeda for a "different character". Same with Dragon Age 2 and 3, the latter featuring the ugliest elves in existence. Or Disco Elysium, if you consider that a rpg, for a hipster cop Commie-friendly game with more walls of text than the average Obsidian title.

For atypical JRPG games, we have Shin Megami Tensei series such as Nocturne (granted, the MC IS mute, but he's not a swordsman), Radiant Historia's hyper-competent protagonist Stocke, or the entire trilogy of Shadow Hearts.

I never denied that modern WRPG's sucks.

The balance cult killed all variety and immersion from RPG's AND the consistency between lore and story, the accessibility cult killed all depth on RPG's and diversity cult killed the story telling. Now all we have is press A for awesome games that fells more like a boring work HOWEVER, this reddit user is comparing classics with classics. VtMB, Planescape Torment and kotor was classics. Just like FF7 and Chrono Trigger are considered classic JRPG's. And BTW, JRPG's tends to do awful protagonists with few exceptions, like Nocturne and Dirge of Cerberus BUT they do amazing villains.

And is not only with JRPg that it happens. Even on Anime, i love Hiatus X Hiatus, but don't like Gon. Black Clover, i dropped on 5 minutes of first episode due Asta. Sadly, according to what i read, a lot of villains and non protagonist "good guys" seems to have way better personality, backstory, and powers Black Clover with Yami as a protagonist or Vanessa would be a amazing anime. Just like Chrono Trigger playing since the beginning with Magus.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Fallout Nevada

ejC1s2r.png

oaCwImu.png

oVlkrsO.png

CVsGxpC.png

vVfLzcz.png

RN7NqRl.png

Pw8cnOo.png

6vj0Jw0.png

4NKedBg.png

klTZVZi.png

Fallout Resurrection

oRY1aSl.png

CPhqPjJ.png

siCQ2pX.png

u1LxjST.png

YUb69Eu.png

8hFrDw9.png

MtDj9KA.png

QTXLNMk.png

1ZvBdQL.png

bZJTuya.png

Fallout Sonora

CTy3pNx.png

nYBhc8O.png

KtUZJal.png

jIbUIIv.png

CGIAn6E.png

x9CaxwL.png

hrtL1F3.png

pWPvH1Y.png

2NiLZ84.png

7heuZpv.png

Olympus 2207

w53HfY3.png

GVYuopb.png

v8AmFB8.png

TCh5zO7.png

HV6xGqW.png

KVHFihZ.png

PylbAJv.png

dXdloA7.png

ShdV5fN.png

kmxcob3.png

rusty_shackleford texts aren't the focus, i'm posting these screenshots for people to admire 2D backgrounds.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Just like FF7 and Chrono Trigger are considered classic JRPG's. And BTW, JRPG's tends to do awful protagonists with few exceptions, like Nocturne and Dirge of Cerberus BUT they do amazing villains.
The games I mentioned are JRPG classics too. Final Fantasy 6 also stars a fixed protagonist who's both a cute girl and not particularly annoying, for example.
Dirge of Cerberus? That's an obvious cashgrab and the first of FF7's "extended lore".

. Even on Anime, i love Hiatus X Hiatus, but don't like Gon.

I like him. Compared to annoying shit like Ichigo and Naruto, he's relatable and funny, and he only has an asspulled power-up ONCE (and he suffers a massive drawback in exchange of doing so). Not many shonen characters are like that.
In any case, I don't tend to follow shonen for the usual power-creep that inevitably destroys the story and setting's plausibility.

Quilty

Magister
Finished Arcanum. What an odd duck of a game. Not bad but very archaic and needlessly primitive in many ways.

Why do you say it's primitive?
It's been at least ten years since my last playthrough, so I don't remember much about the user experience side of things, but I recall loving it. Maybe I was just much more forgiving of certain things in games back then...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Finished Arcanum. What an odd duck of a game. Not bad but very archaic and needlessly primitive in many ways.

Why do you say it's primitive?
It's been at least ten years since my last playthrough, so I don't remember much about the user experience side of things, but I recall loving it. Maybe I was just much more forgiving of certain things in games back then...

There isn't even a way to tell which buffs/debuffs you have going on, at least none that I could find. The map and movement around in it is also fucked, even with the Multiverse patch. Thank God for unlocking the camera at least.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GIRAFFE CAVALRY!! (Caveman 2 Cosmos)

Screenshot-2020-01-18-20-41-47.png

In the grim cyberpunk future, even the simplest seeds will be copyrighted by big corps. (Dex)

Screenshot-2020-03-08-20-30-55.png

No homo. (To Battle! Hell's Crusade)

Screenshot-2020-03-20-20-00-17.png

The AI Singularity suggests eugenics to fix all of humanity's problems :obviously: (Titan Outpost)

Screenshot-2020-04-16-20-24-20.png

I've had it with those merchants. (Troubleshooter)

Screenshot-2020-06-21-20-44-34.png

And now for a couple of screens from a weird, trippy text adventure. (Cryptozookeeper)

Screenshot-2020-04-23-23-25-48.png

Screenshot-2020-04-23-23-33-27.png

Screenshot-2020-04-23-23-54-18.png

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
JRPGs are not RPGs in the same way anime is not an art form :smug:
Speaking of ACTUAL RPGS MADE BY PEOPLE WITH SOULS:
arcanum-jpg.13661

Your character build is very gay

A persuasion/harm caster build makes a first time playthrough infinitely more enjoyable

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Elves ages slowly. The unique race which is better than elves to marry are vampire brides. Since they are gorgeous, NEVER age and are always loyal towards her master. And yes, IMO mastering the life and death itself, raising a army of darkness, stopping the time, shaping the reality with wish is cooler tahn swinging a piece of metal.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And yes, IMO mastering the life and death itself, raising a army of darkness, stopping the time, shaping the reality with wish is cooler tahn swinging a piece of metal.
Sounds horribly dull, just snap your fingers and you get whatever.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And yes, IMO mastering the life and death itself, raising a army of darkness, stopping the time, shaping the reality with wish is cooler tahn swinging a piece of metal.
Sounds horribly dull, just snap your fingers and you get whatever.

Not exactly the case. However, i play video games to do things that i can't do IRL. I have a crossbow and can fire and practice with it. Same with a Axe, i can shop things IRL with an Axe. Unless the game allows me to do cool stuff on melee, i will use powerful firearms on fps and powerful spells on fantasy games.... On Mount & Blade is different. Use a heavily armored horse and a spear to charge and impale enemies is extremely fun.

One more thing about the Elf. She is the unique romanceable companion on nwn2 for male characters.

------------------

FC2, the best FC

W5wGEx1.png

gp27NeV.png

GgGGQG0.png

b5HGWSd.png

NZaqwcV.png

mCQWVuK.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom