Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship Combat Beta Thread

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Well stealth mechanics play a role in combat?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It's catchy, although, because of text speed, you have to watch it twice.

First time, mostly watching the nice pics, first text i've read was :"Or guns" which felt a bit weird.

Black Angel

Arcane
Finally completed the combat demo for the first time yesterday. A Lone Wold chooper-crit-slick ass Fast Runner char with lots of reaction, initiative, aiming mostly on heads and torso. Screenshots of my char right before going up the elevator to the last fight:
HnO9hgm.jpg

mEwDiPV.jpg
The items on the belts are what I used for the last fight. Threw the stasis 'nades to the capt' and his 2 henchmen, then rushed the loner on the left. Poor guy couldn't handle an axe to his face. Once he is dead I positioned myself right in the middle of the guys in stasis, then threw the hi-grade smoke 'nade to obscure their THC. Once they're out of stasis, I popped the aggro stim and then it's the axe to either their heads or torso, though half of their HP were taken care of by reaction attacks.
And mind you, all this while my char only got 15 HP left out of 40, because I'm not entirely sure the healing stim sold by Sarah won't impose penalty out of combat and have it carry over, so I didn't buy it.
As I chop and cut down my way through the battles, I always strive to try and kill everyone without the help of 'nades and stims. Once I hit a wall like Big Jim fight, a well placed gas and smoke 'nades, and in one of the difficult fight I remembered using aggro stim, they're all dead. My insistence on trying to win battles solely on my equipment and skills rewarded me with lots of reloads on the difficult fights, tho, but the amount of 'nades and stims available on store is just right for this type of char. But, we'll see how it plays out in the full game. Like mentioned in the previous pages I doubt this guy can actually go far without a bit more INT and Educated feat. Relying on things like mid/hi-grade gas 'nades too much is also not entirely good on the char. I didn't exactly paid attention, but I have this vague feeling that my char didn't grew enough after getting 1 or 2 of Big Jim's crew dying to the hi-grade gas 'nade. What XP I could've gained from chopping and getting attacked by them were gone because they died to fast.

Anyway, onward to a dummy thicc hammer guy with Juggernaut and Berserker.

Black Angel

Arcane
Just finished the dummy thicc hammer Berserker Juggernaut. Wiped out the last fight in first try.

Still, I feel like the Juggernaut heroic feat felt underwhelming. Overall it's only truly useful in earlier battles where the enemies are so weak and underequipped that grazes kills them, while their puny attacks barely scratch me thanks to the natural DR bonus. But as I meet progressively better equipped and better skilled enemies, the feat just kinda felt flat. Grazes barely helped at all, and the damage they dealt just hurt so bad. At least the dermal implant can be further augmented, but as time went on Juggernaut becomes overall useless. Contrast this to Fast Runner which I took on my Chopper; the evasion bonus barely counts in the long run just like Juggernaut's DR bonus, but being able to completely disables enemy reaction on movement is useful all the way through. In hindsight I probably should've FR instead for my hammer guy, especially since AP is king, and even more so for melee. Or I probably should've taken the Healing Factor to double down on my char being dummy thicc, and because being melee I'm gonna need all the HP I can get, and having it regenerate would be even more helpful all the way through.

One more thing: having finished the combat demo twice now, it feels really weird that all the ranged enemies who I engaged in melee *never* attempts to regain some space *at all*. Although the ones I engaged diagonally as two-handed hammer melee would always tries to get away, so maybe it's a script thing? I also would like to see more attack of opportunity, like the ones they had in Expedition: Conquistador. In that game, if you ever attempt to use a ranged weapon within a melee enemy's range, they'll ALWAYS use that for attack of opportunity, so you would always want to let your ranged units regain some space. Hell, in AoD, you have a bash option for crossbows, and ranged enemies there would always attempt to regain their space.
Truth be told, I can kinda see why you guys haven't put any more sort of AoO into the game. Even in previous pages, I remembered people talking about how OP Reaction is, and a char build around it with feats can just wipe the floor simply by being close right next to an enemy. Reaction could probably be further derived to subcategories, such as in response to movements, failed attacks, attempting to use consumables and utilities, and reloading guns, with the %chance being adjusted accordingly.

Black Angel

Arcane
One more thing: having finished the combat demo twice now, it feels really weird that all the ranged enemies who I engaged in melee *never* attempts to regain some space *at all*.
After playing some more, I just realized now that this statement is false and dumb. Ranged enemies DO try to keep their distance, especially the ones with rifles and guns incapable of firing at melee range. Still, I'd love to have some AoO mechanics where trying to fire your guns while having an melee enemy right next to you would results in an axe/hammer to your face.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
You are wrong on the internet - and no one corrects you. -> dedest gaym

Ihavenoidea

Educated
I had a distortion field.
I bought an upgrade for my distortion field.
I installed an upgrade in my distortion field.
I sold a part from the distortion field, since it was lower quality.
I found another distortion field.
It had one upgraded part different from mine.
I cannot upgrade my distortion field with a new part.
I am sad.
Please fix.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How different will the Arena be in the full game vs combat demo? If I remember right, you've said the plan is for the player to start in the cargo hold (where the demo takes place) before you find something important that pushes you in to the Habitat and start dealing with the big factions. The endings in the demo also achieve this. Will the arena be there for a combat obsessive to do as an alternative?

Also, will there be something to encourage you to do the arena appropriately early? It seems AoDs arena is made for act 2, but nothing stopping you from going act 3 and sucking up all that LP/equipment and coming back to destroy it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The first 4-5 fights will be the same, the rest will be very different, with new fights added in each new chapter, based on who's running the show (Jonas, Braxton, or Mercy) and the future development and alliances.

Nm6k

Scholar
Hey Vince I wanted to know if the early access beta is still on track for late Dec/early Jan and also would it be possible for me to sign up

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Hey Vince I wanted to know if the early access beta is still on track for late Dec/early Jan and also would it be possible for me to sign up
So far, but there's still a lot to do. We'll know in a month. We don't do any fancy sign-ups, so remind me in Dec.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
How large will be BETA test area?
How many game systems will be ready for test?
Any plans to have exo-suit mechs like in Alien 2?
Maybe these questions have already been answered

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom