Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
I really wish they hadn't gone for a Baldur's Gate sequel; there is absolutely no way they could top BG II, not with the abysmal quality of writing & 'humor' the incorporate into their games like DD, which turned an otherwise very good game into something I could no longer play after playing around half the game.
Yeah, BG2 was just full of great writing. Like when your pregnant wife who is a child in elf-years is fighting in combat.
GO FOR THE EYES BOO!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Tiamat which is the strongest 5e enemy, could die in one round to my BG2 char.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Yeah,because it makes sense that you could kill a goddess with a shitty level7 spell. Most highest level enemies should have immunity to it or take damage,not die in one shot lol. Level scaling in D&D is truly retarded in my opinion,being seen as demigod at level 20 is retarded and boring shit. It would have been a lot better if all those demigods,great fiends and other deity like creatures,were way past the level cap of the player. That way they would have been more unique and interesting encounters,not "geee i just killed another ancient dragon,lets move on to the next". Also the whole levelilng doesn't seem powerful enough to be seen as achieving great power,most of that shit you getting a +1dam/tohit per few levels. So trough all the levelling you get like 10 to that shit and now you are seen as a demigod lol,that is like becoming twice as strong than normal human.

And yeah,i do agree,the 5e is even worst than that shit. D&D really had hit rock bottom with this stupid iteration. Having less levels really makes the power fantasy garbage feel even worst than before.

RPK

Scholar
Looks like the Dead Three will be very important on BG3 lore

Why, because some random guy on YouTube made an FR lore video and added "Baldur's Gate 3" to the title for clicks?

At 7:50 he quoted Larian
4dBQOuh.png

And honestly i can't think in other way to make BG3 a sequel to BG2...
in before, feature reveal: import your bg2 save and the bhaalspawn pc is the final boss

that would actually be pretty cool :D

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
in before, feature reveal: import your bg2 save and the bhaalspawn pc is the final boss

That would be pretty RAD. My last BG2 save is with a maxed epic necromancer that soloed SoA on Legacy of Bhaal. No 5e character could even touch him. 3 Horrid Wilting in a chain sequencer followed by 3 skull trap in a spell trigger would destroy even the most broken Pun Pun-like lv 20 5e build...

Good lucky fighting this guy

AxlAp8L.png

7mKfB7p.png

He can OHK dragons and demon lords by fingering then like a Succubus. A thing which no 5e char can do since FoD no longer OHKills

SNhKjWi.png

wSBlumc.png

Tiamat which is the strongest 5e enemy, could die in two round to my BG2 char. I an not joking. 2 * reduce resistance + greater malison in a trigger followed by Za Warudo(stop time), Improved Alacrity and a couple of Finger of Deaths would make her fingered like a Succubus.
Cool story bro, but your fancy character would have lost all those powers in the Spellplague.

deuxhero

Arcane
I still stand by the tadpoles eating your brain in a matter of hours, or a few days at most.
Well that was the old lore,the one that was interesting and actually made sense. Now bugs in your head make you god or something. It kind of feels like larian just larped what owlcat was doing,the part that you could become super powerful god like.

There is a HUGE difference. Pathfinder Kingmaker has you defeating a DEMIgod after spending a lot of time and effort weakening him in a optional chapter in a high level campaign and next game will have mythic levels and probably at best you will fight demigods. Your lv 20 PC on PFKM still weaker than a "quasi deity". Larian is making the player God in a lv 10 campaign. We already have a amazing story involving a Bhaalspawn. being a victim of a weird mindflayer experiment seems way more interesting, original and fits more a low to mid level campaign.

They are turning the character into a psionic supersoldier, not a demi/qausigod. Its like DOS1 and how in addition to your regular class/es your also a Sourcerer, but in this case your a regular class (or multiple regular classes) and True Mind, kind of like 2e AD&D multiclassing.

Isn't pre-3E psionics something random characters just had in addition to their normal abilities?

Wouldn't mind some kind of parallel advancement in addition to classes. Would certainly help with 5E's anemic scaling and customization.

Looks like the Dead Three will be very important on BG3 lore

Why, because some random guy on YouTube made an FR lore video and added "Baldur's Gate 3" to the title for clicks?

At 7:50 he quoted Larian

And honestly i can't think in other way to make BG3 a sequel to BG2...

that would actually be pretty cool :D

Would be a nightmare to get working though. Half a dozen possible versions of the game itself, and (with EE) 7 opperating systems. That's not even counting how everyone plays with mods.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Tiamat which is the strongest 5e enemy, could die in one round to my BG2 char.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Yeah,because it makes sense that you could kill a goddess with a shitty level7 spell. Most highest level enemies should have immunity to it or take damage,not die in one shot lol. Level scaling in D&D is truly retarded in my opinion,being seen as demigod at level 20 is retarded and boring shit. It would have been a lot better if all those demigods,great fiends and other deity like creatures,were way past the level cap of the player. That way they would have been more unique and interesting encounters,not "geee i just killed another ancient dragon,lets move on to the next". Also the whole levelilng doesn't seem powerful enough to be seen as achieving great power,most of that shit you getting a +1dam/tohit per few levels. So trough all the levelling you get like 10 to that shit and now you are seen as a demigod lol,that is like becoming twice as strong than normal human.

And yeah,i do agree,the 5e is even worst than that shit. D&D really had hit rock bottom with this stupid iteration. Having less levels really makes the power fantasy garbage feel even worst than before.

Did you saw 5e tiamat stats? She is EXTREMELY weaker than 2e deity's AVATAR. 2e on sourcebook "Faiths & Avatars" on page 17 said explicit that mortals can at best defeat DEMI powers. And think on the strongest ancient dragon vs the weakest demigod for eg. Talos Avatar is a lv 37/27/15 Fighter/Mage/Cleric. with 65% MR, 25 STR and 23 CON(page 155). And a deity in avatar form is far weaker than in their true forms which can't be measured by game rules. Lesser powers are out of grasp for any mortal and the avatar of deities who walked during the time of troubles are ludicrous stronger than any epic level character. Even Karsus, arguably the strongest mortal mage, is "just" a lv 40 arcanist. He is not stronger than a Talos Avatar. He can kill a talos avatar? Yes, with a good plan and lucky but that would be a minor annoyance to Talos and not a threat.

And immunity to it CAN be dispelled. on 3.5e and on 2e, I've posted a screenshot of ME, OHKilling a DEMON lord on Legacy of Bhaal.

Legacy of Bhaal - A demon lord being fingered like a succubus on chapter 5 said:

5e Tiamat is so weaker, that a army of peasants with magical weapons CAN kill her.

Cool story bro, but your fancy character would have lost all those powers in the Spellplague.

Wrong, he ascended to Godhood and now is probably as stronger and not limited to dead magic zone, wave and other mortal concerns. He can cast spells that Mistra banned mortals from casting like Tolodine's killing wind and since he is God, immune to losing levels, he can cast it at maximum power with no penalty.

Even before ascension. Slayer form would kill any 5e creature.

Isn't pre-3E psionics something random characters just had in addition to their normal abilities?

Wouldn't mind some kind of parallel advancement in addition to classes. Would certainly help with 5E's anemic scaling and customization.

I strongly agree. On Dark Sun, everyone can use basic psionics however, only pisions can learn most advanced pisionics.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Maybe it turns out to be some sort of symbiote shit. I hope we can have full conversations with it. Maybe it will give you quest tips and stuff.
This is exactly what they have revealed:
it’s a symbiote that create super soldier (super slaves knowing mind flayers)
, it’s a new mind flayer experiment.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Feel free to do so, but you will probably be shred even more for your opinions in a thread where everyone played 5e at least once, when you have literally never played it yourself and didnt even read the core rules. Here some links to rule pdfs so your opinions look less retarded in there:

Most people agreed with me in that post. That 5e has the same problem of Oblivion that leads to high level fights being extremely boring, and some in that thread argued that even after lv 2, your character takes too much to die.

----------------------------

Anyway, one thing that bugs me is when Vincke talks about how spell slots aren't intuitive. I NEVER get it. All Gold Box games uses it. Most earlier RPG's used it and you can see it even on Japanese console games. Dark Souls 1/2 and the first P$1 Suikuden for eg. Is so simple, you attuned 3 skull traps, so you can use 3 skull traps in the other day each usage takes one "charge", and spontaneous characters don't prepare spells but has a X amount of magical power that they can use per day. NOBODY CRITICIZED spell slots on this console games. How it is "unintuitive"? What is unintuitive is the cooldown system. You cast a skull trap, now wait X seconds/X turns to use it again; Why? I never saw this mechanic outside of gaming.

Vincke about spell slots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecUvbMnkhM

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If spell slots were so intuitive why dont warlocks use it?

Warlocks uses it. On 2e and on 5e.

On 3.5e, they have invocations. Because people wanted a class with spell like abilities in addition to spontaneous or prepared spell casting. On 5e, warlocks has spell slots which regen on a short rest up to 5th tier and invocations however, invocations are far weaker on 5e. Eg - A 5e warlock can levitate few feet above the ground at will, a 3.5e warlock can fly at will, teleport, transform enemies into toads...

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Within the last issue of Infernal Tides, the latest comic series featuring Minsc (which I recommend reading, since it seems to be a direct prequel to the events of Baldur's Gate III, including both Hell and, to a lesser degree, Illithids), the aforementioned ranger has his memory wiped by swimming in the river Styx. Is this a sneaky way of preparing him for the game, so that he doesn't remember clearly the events of the previous two titles, thus dodging any questions about what is canon and not in regards to the series?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Within the last issue of Infernal Tides, the latest comic series featuring Minsc (which I recommend reading, since it seems to be a direct prequel to the events of Baldur's Gate III, including both Hell and, to a lesser degree, Illithids), the aforementioned ranger has his memory wiped by swimming in the river Styx. Is this a sneaky way of preparing him for the game, so that he doesn't remember clearly the events of the previous two titles, thus dodging any questions about what is canon and not in regards to the series?
That will also explain why he's level 1 again when he joins your party!

Shrimp

Arbiter
Minsc showing up one way or another (either being referenced or outright appearing in person) was honestly to be expected, but now I can't help but wonder if the entire comic was created just to provide an official™ canon explanation for him to appear in the game.

deuxhero

Arcane
Reminder that, by the time of 5E, rogue Halruaan have been selling airships on the open market (which have explicitly been bought by multiple countries) for over a hundred years while the Lantanna have had all kinds of wondrous tech for over two hundred while also being enterprising traders, but none of this matters because Forgotten Realms is a shitty setting where countries simply cease to matter if they don’t directly border the place where the story is set. Thus all technology in BG3 will be exactly the same as it has been in the FR for the last millennium.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Can't wait for this shit game to come out

Jesus fucking christ I need to slurp that horrible slop at least 7 times until I will be satisfied.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
That will also explain why he's level 1 again when he joins your party!

Didn't Larian already confirm that only the potential origin characters will be party members?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom