Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghost of Tsushima - open world game set in feudal Japan

Isak

Educated
No, this just makes it look even worse: you got this game on a thursday and have clocked in those hours since, which means you dont have a job. Which means mommy or centerlink bought you that PS4, which makes you even more of a loser. There are two unavoidable conclusions, either or, either you're a NEET or this game has so little content someone can casually playthrough it in ~10 hours.

Your pathetic analysis is rendered moot by the fact that it takes 23-25 hours to finish the main story, and I was ~18 hours in at the time I wrote up my brilliant analysis. Your pathetic analysis is also rendered moot by the fact that it's Saturday here, which means no work, which means more free time, at home, which means more time to play! Yay!

Sorry. Better luck next time, Sherly.

This is you ----> :kingcomrade:
Me->:flamesaw:

Last edited:

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
No, this just makes it look even worse: you got this game on a thursday and have clocked in those hours since, which means you dont have a job. Which means mommy or centerlink bought you that PS4, which makes you even more of a loser. There are two unavoidable conclusions, either or, either you're a NEET or this game has so little content someone can casually playthrough it in ~10 hours.

Your pathetic analysis is rendered moot by the fact that it takes 23-25 hours to finish the main story, and I was ~18 hours in at the time I wrote up my brilliant analysis. Your pathetic analysis is also rendered moot by the fact that it's Saturday here, which means no work, which means more free time, at home, which means more time to play! Yay!

Sorry. Better luck next time, Sherly.

yes its saturday here. you implied you got the game 48 hours ago. You've already clocked in 18 hours by that post (by your own admittance). So you either don't work, or if you do (i doubt it), you have literally nothing going in your life besides gaming, but here you are calling others internet losers. lol @ you.

Isak

Educated
Lol @ me, indeed. Heh.

Sorry for calling you that, apparently, after spending a couple of days on this site, I've contracted the infamous 'Codexian Syndrome of Toxicity'.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Lol @ me, indeed. Heh.

Sorry for calling you that, apparently, after spending a couple of days on this site, I've contracted the infamous 'Codexian Syndrome of Toxicity'.

You contracted Retarded Consolitis. That's more serious.

Isak

Educated
Man you just gotta laugh at the retards that try to claim it’s just an AC clone. It’s absolutely hilarious, after playing the game, to reflect on the people trying so hard to paint it in a bad light with that comparison. I literally had a retard tell me things like “it shows press square to assassinate just like AC” or “but there’s birds that guide you”... etc. If you wanna be realistic a lot of games share some kind of aspect. But claiming clone syndrome when it plays completely different is just moronic.

Combat in this game is very not Hack-n-Slash. It's deliberate and you need to strategize. It's only repetitive if you play like a fucking toad, and on easy.
It's definitely nothing like Arkham or Ubi, and it's basically the worst fear of an attack button spammer. And I’m glad it requires patience and skill.
No more stabbing an enemy in the damn THROAT with a dagger and then it damages the only lol. Looks at a particular Ubi game.

The combat is a unique mix of Sekiro and Nioh, even Ninja Gaiden. I'm playing on hard right now and the enemy attack / defense variety is very similar to Sekiro. Enemies with shields you need to use power attacks on, guys with lances you need to dodge around, etc. The stances are kinda hard to master in this mode, but they are all very smooth and kinda unique.

It's a pretty realistic combat system and not once have I encountered an enemy that didn't die after a couple of sword strikes, usually takes only two strikes and one arrow even for brutes. The same applies to Jin too, he takes a lot of damage from enemies. Difficulty setting makes enemies more aggressive with different movesets while the damage ratio is kept the same, that is difficulty made right. Not like in AC Odyssey where mobs became spongy and you take more damage while the enemy behaves the same.

The game is extremely brutal on hard but it feels perfect. You get punished hard but it never feels unfair, I always know when I missed a parry, screwed up a dodge, missed a cue for an arrow coming in, or whatever. You've always got the information you need and you can put yourself in horrible situations where you're going to get hit no matter what you do because enemies aren't just gonna wait around for you to finish killing someone before they take a swing.

More than once I went from cutting people down and feeling myself too much to suddenly on the ground choking on my blood before the final blow is delivered. How quickly combat can turn is great and really drives home the emphasis on skill above all else.
For instance, I spanked some in this one place and then got yeeted off a cliff somewhere else. It kind of took me by surprise. because there isn't any indication how bad you're about to get slapped

I just love rolling up on enemies be it a camp or a patrol and just calling them out right there. The challenge mechanic is so sweet and so satisfying when you nail it. Can't even picture sneaking into a camp when I can just call them out straight away and start cutting Mongols down leaving their surviving companions to panic at what they just witnessed.

Something like Nioh 2 has 0 weight to any of the combat so it feels so fluid, but completely unsatisfying to land blows. Here, you feel every hit, everything is so measured it just feels incredible to play while being extremely realistic too.

As you progress you end up with so many options in battle. And I really love playing on hard because the combat comes into its own once you have more techniques and abilities unlocked, while still being challenging.
Perfect parry is fucking hard but useful when you're under a bunch of stress because a shit ton of mongols are beating your ass and you panic. So mastering that is a must if you're playing on hard.
And the lack of lock on makes the combat better. Being able to accurately use the left thumbstick to direct your strikes/parries when surrounded makes up for it. Once you figure out the dance, combat becomes an artform.

The opening sequence might feel a bit clunky because you aren't used to the mechanics and it just tosses you into a multiple person battle with zero explanation of how to attack, defend, parry, break guards, dodge, swap targets, or anything like that.
But once you get more used to the mechanics and the flow of combat it feels way smoother as you're reading opponents tells, getting to know weapon types and how to defend against them, better at managing multiple opponents, and more.
But I think that's true for a lot of games. Dark Souls, Nioh, Sekiro (in the souls verse) all felt incredibly clunky at first but they expand and provide such a feeling of satisfaction as you become more confident and skilled. Combat is supposed to open up over time. And this game does a great job of living up to that philosophy.

Last edited:
... snip ...

That's just a convoluted way of saying that the game is shit.

That's just the poor man's way of saying "All PS4 exclusives are shit coz I can't afford a PS4".

What a depressing internet loser.

wait

this game came out yesterday, and you're already "almost done with" it? This means you've presumably put 10-15 hours into the game, in less than 24 hours, which not only makes you a depressing loser, but it also makes this is a pretty paltry offering as far as open world games these days if you're already almost done with it.

Imagine not living in Australia and getting the game almost a day before everyone.

That makes it 2 days aka 48 hours.

Checkmate dude, sorry.
:dance:

Holy shit the projection here. You realize what forum you’re on?

Citizen

This means you've presumably put 10-15 hours into the game, in less than 24 hours, which not only makes you a depressing loser, but it also makes this is a pretty paltry offering as far as open world games these days if you're already almost done with it.

That was so sad to read, stop projecting on a videogame forum and get your life together, loser

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
This means you've presumably put 10-15 hours into the game, in less than 24 hours, which not only makes you a depressing loser, but it also makes this is a pretty paltry offering as far as open world games these days if you're already almost done with it.

That was so sad to read, stop projecting on a videogame forum and get your life together, loser

sorry mom

People comparing this to Sekiro are just...

3a1.jpg

Isak

Educated
You troll incredibly poorly, you clearly haven't played the game. Coming from someone who has actually played the game, AC couldn’t dream of combat this good, it feels like Nioh meets Sekiro.

The game's pretty balanced on medium. Feels like the sweet spot in terms of difficulty. Somewhere between God Of War HARD and Dark Souls.

You need to be tactical some, and know how to counter each attack, like Sekiro. When you get AC-style button-mashy, you get owned.

I will take your impressions more seriously after you have actually played it. Till then, sorry you have to watch others have fun.

So, here, have some sake and contemplate what you're missing out on:

CTGiZjM.jpg

j5TraAx.jpg

oP90tIF.jpg

QVZxJo7.jpg

My only real complaint so far is that the serenity of exploration and the poetic dance of combat are somewhat slightly disturbed by the fucking jet engine noise of the Pro fan. Fix that shit on the PS5 Sony, it’s ridiculous.

Adon

Arcane

Been actually enjoying the combat more than I was anticipating. I’m still pretty early on, but some of the fights are more of a challenge than I thought they’d be.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Game is incredibly good, but it has two big issues...

1. Movement is floaty, your character lacks weight to his movement and animations

2. FoV is too narrow even for console standards, makes exploration and especially combat more annoying than it should.

Will make a more extensive impressions later

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You troll incredibly poorly, you clearly haven't played the game. Coming from someone who has actually played the game, AC couldn’t dream of combat this good, it feels like Nioh meets Sekiro.

The game's pretty balanced on medium. Feels like the sweet spot in terms of difficulty. Somewhere between God Of War HARD and Dark Souls.

You need to be tactical some, and know how to counter each attack, like Sekiro. When you get AC-style button-mashy, you get owned.

I'll never play this game unless they port it to PC, so I can't speak to it, but have you played the more recent AC games? I played the first handful back in the day and always hated their combat, but I've finally gotten around to AC: Origins and the combat is very different. Not some amazingly deep thing, but you absolutely have to time your attacks, parry and whatnot or else you'll quickly die. On "hard" mode, anyway. I'm surprised by how solid it is. It's much better than Witcher 3, where all I did was roll and whacky-whacky.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I will once again let my avatar speak for me about my feelings on this game since I look exactly fucking like that in the game itself. So yeah I have a chubby living out my samurai fantasy. There really hasn't been a game of this type (RPG-Lite, open world), setting wise, since I think Jade Empire from the days when Bioware didn't suck so I think we were about due.

Yeah, lots of it is derivative but not in a bad way. The combat is leagues above AC and feels more like Witcher 3 on the hardest difficulty or 'Sekiro Light'. It is also just a damn pretty game as many others have mentioned. A real shame it is being locked into garbage console tier graphics but what can ya do?

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I will take your impressions more seriously after you have actually played it. Till then, sorry you have to watch others have fun.

So, here, have some sake and contemplate what you're missing out on:

CTGiZjM.jpg

j5TraAx.jpg

oP90tIF.jpg

QVZxJo7.jpg

My only real complaint so far is that the serenity of exploration and the poetic dance of combat are somewhat slightly disturbed by the fucking jet engine noise of the Pro fan. Fix that shit on the PS5 Sony, it’s ridiculous.
My honest impression is that this LOD drop in the distance is quite a letdown. I will wait for the PC version, if it ever gets made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom