Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You can rearrange your party formation such that just when you are about to trigger the fight by reaching the sword, at least 1 character is not in the pool with the rest. Takes a bit of trial and error to figure out the exact point of approach, but it ensures that at least 1 character (preferably a melee) does not waste 2 turns climbing out of the pool and getting to him.

Oh speaking of this, here's another funny thing I noticed yesterday when it comes to cheesing the party formation. Suffice to say, Pierre's one step ahead of you here as well.

Remember the shadow clerics in the death snare tomb, who always summon ghouls on their first turn? Well, one of them has improved initiative - the one who can actually end up within reach of your wammos upon fight start. This French asshole has given improved initiative only to this one enemy in the whole fight just to make it harder for you to stop him from summoning the ghoul, I mean FFS :lol:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
From what I understand sevveral pages back: No Mantis Gladiator or Elf Wizard 0/10. Get rekt

I resisted the urge to add a Mantis Gladiator to my Party, No Mantis, No Gladiator either.

Here's my party, far from being optimized, i wanted to try something fun

Fighter Salamander
Half-Giant Death Knight
Elf Wizard
Drake Psionicist
Druid Salamander
Dwarf Cleric

I wanted a single Salamander and the Psion could have used a better race (i thought i could use the breath + psion power in a single turn, maybe there's a feat allowing this later) but so far it's not too bad, i can't wait for the Death Knight to upgrade his aura.

It gives me a lot of options for getting a surprised round instead of the monsters surprising my party so, so far so good.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Mantis gladiator is not required, many winning parties do not have 1. There is an argument for a mantis fighter to even be better ( not tested and again not really needed to finish the game )

Drake psion - Can't recommend, you need like 4 feats to make the breath somewhat good, can only work well on a warrior that has so much feats and can use full attack + breath in 1 round. Casters need all the feats they can get, my HUMAN psion still wants more feats... Spending breath feats on a psion is just gimping your best caster into oblivion

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Drake psion - Can't recommend, you need like 4 feats to make the breath somewhat good, can only work on a fighter that has so much feats and can use full attack + breath in 1 round. Casters need all the feats they can get, my HUMAN psion still wants more feats... Spending breath feats on a psion is just gimping your best caster into oblivion

Maybe next update will introduce a bonus feat every other level and my psion will get 3 free feats...
I know it's bad, i'm just going to roll with it though and see how it gets, it'll just have to narrow his feat selection.

Mortmal

Arcane
Do you guys have any advice for the lizardmen fight? So far it seemed impossible to reach the main caster in time. I tried summons and some AOE spells but no luck.

My party: Gladiator, Death Knight, Storm Warrior, Bishop, Warlock, Wizard, all level 7.
You have erzimon to prevent the surprise round right ? Then here's a good trick, place your party in a long line formation with some fighter types at the back. Move from upper left corner of the room to the archangel sword. When the fight trigger you will have some guy or two up. Grapple trip , confuse the main castern nuke him first so he dont summon the hydra.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Keeping in mind that the FUCKING BAGPIPES NEVER FUCKING WORKED ON MY BARD.

You are supposed to be able to invoke them to cast Ice Blast but that shit is fucking bugged and nobody reported it because nobody has a bard.

As for your party, you are fucked.

Paladin is shit and you get a Paladin NPC.
Samurai is shit.
Ranger is worthless.
Bard is all right but not the best.
Cleric and Wizard are good.
Listen to jasede, its true . Good classes are half giant fighter for trip and grapple + wade in , mantis gladiator, Evocation red wizard(elf or human) , cleric, psion., druid too i just replayed with one they are very good. Psion and wizard are absolutely mandatory , its impossible to complete the game without.

SilentLion

Barely Literate
Ok, I'll try the formation metagame fun and then bum-rush the main wizard. I understand I need to wait another 12 months before I can brofist so: thanks y'all.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
i'd consider restarting with better wammos if the thought of suffering through the fucking slog at the start of chapter 2 and reloading the sharkman druid 394867398476 times again didn't make me contemplate suicide

no turning back now, sometimes you just accidentally trigger nightmare mode and have to live with it
If by "start of chapter 2" you mean "slimes + minotaur mage + centipedes", you can easily breeze through it with a Druid and a Cleric with the Aberration domain. The Druid's spell Animal Trance trivializes both the slimes and the centipedes and the Aberration domain power takes care of the minotaur (this is especially true if you take both Augment Summoning and Summon Mastery). The sharkman druid is a fucking bitch, but you can semi-reliably (with maybe 5-10 reloads) take him down with a Wizard and a Cleric, using the Deep Slumber scroll to target the top three enemies (giant frog, top lizard and druid) and then casting a normal Sleep to disable the remaining two enemies (the first giant frog will probably get woken up by the lizard, but it's not a problem); the Cleric just needs to summon his tentacled abomination (so you need high Charisma and Extra Turning isn't a bad idea either).

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
You can easily breeze through it by following a step-by-step walk-trough, who'd have thunk! Only takes 5-10 reloads!
2607.jpg

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pierre placed 9 party members on "not a bug" , I don't get that...Still trying to convince him it is a bug. I still don't get why none of the winning parties had 9 party members ( is it because they think it's a bug? then why didn't they report it? )

Also I had to put 3 videos up for ( easy reproduceable ) bugs because Pierre can't reproduce simple things like buying a scroll saving and reloading...

Anyways we already have a dozen fixed bugs for 1.0.3

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I didn't have fucking 3 party members because the fucking game corrupted my fucking save if I recruited the fucking Warlock bitch.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Pierre placed 9 party members on "not a bug" , I don't get that...Still trying to convince him it is a bug. I still don't get why none of the winning parties had 9 party members ( is it because they think it's a bug? then why didn't they report it? )

Well, if its not a bug I'd love 3 more party members. How did you do it?

The Red Knight

Erudite
Have you pointed out to him that he set the scenario to 8 characters himself?

felipepepe can you check if party size limit works for custom modules (either for just the party or with module companions)?

Has the bug where if you ready vs spell of the shark druid, if he summons a croc then it spawns outside the play area, in the blackness to the NW, been reported/fixed? Happens at least when my psionicist readies; reliably reproducible every time. I'm intending to beat 1.0 with a suboptimal party since so far I only get the mage armor crash, so I haven't tested with the recent patches.
MKWYqNa.png

Also he has a tendency to instead summon a wolf - it can't breathe underwater so it slowly takes damage, and while the wolf has enough HP not to care about it, it's a bit odd he does that.

For the sharks I go with a gladiator to the SW of the pit, psionicist next to the ladder and cutting himself off with grease to stop enemies from getting near him, then the druid usually wanders to the north of the pit in a turn or two, and then it's another grease on him and he slips into the pit and wastes his last turns of life on trying to outheal the pit damage.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Well, if its not a bug I'd love 3 more party members. How did you do it?

Recruit all 3 and activate them... there is no trick.

The Red Knight , Wolf is a level 1 spell, crock is level 2 so it's using different spell slots, maybe he wants to keep level 2 slots for quicksand?

In case the summon happens off screen you can just wait until it is unsummoned but I'll check it out.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I found the tombs suspiciously easy actually, the assorted skellymen/zombies are very ez, the shadows can be tricky if you don't kill one of the clerics before he can summon shit but are otherwise reasonable, and the ghost dragon is VERY OBVIOUSLY supposed to be instakill cheesed with the disruptor. The vamp is the only real bullshit part of that area, I had to keep reloading for like an hour before I could fatally throw him down a well.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Have you pointed out to him that he set the scenario to 8 characters himself?

felipepepe can you check if party size limit works for custom modules (either for just the party or with module companions)?
Yeah, the party size limit only limits your initial party size. I set a module limit of 6 party members, could recruit 10 without any issue:

r5wRQUr.jpg

The scrips have no check for maz party size, I thought it would limit me on the party composition screen, but nope. Could still enable all 10 party members.

Quite cool that the max party size is 25 :lol:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I found the tombs suspiciously easy actually, the assorted skellymen/zombies are very ez, the shadows can be tricky if you don't kill one of the clerics before he can summon shit but are otherwise reasonable, and the ghost dragon is VERY OBVIOUSLY supposed to be instakill cheesed with the disruptor. The vamp is the only real bullshit part of that area, I had to keep reloading for like an hour before I could fatally throw him down a well.
Not having a Druid is a federal crime and you can actually get deported for it.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Druid weakness will be felt at the end game when he won't be casting accelerated spell and the summons won't be as effective as just an additional aoe / control spell.

This is why he will always be weaker than a cleric/psion/wizard.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
i actually wanted to get one initially...
borealesad.jpg
I'm enjoying mine quite a lot, but during some of the tougher fights I find myself wishing I had another Psionicist or Wizard instead. He was crucial during the mummies + vampire fight and it helped greatly during some less threatening encounters (crocodiles + elemental in chapter 1, slimes and centipedes in chapter 2), but by level 6 he still doesn't have a good AoE damage spell like Fireball and Energy Cone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom