Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Atelier series

Shadenuat

Arcane
:neveraskedforthis:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
She is that popular huh. This gotta be the first Atelier game with a direct sequel with the same protaginist right?

THICK THIGHS, SAVE LIVES

506-5065691-the-new-atelier-game-looks-fun-atelier-ryza-removebg-preview.png

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
You niggas are seriously calculating the thigh to head ratio? Seems like I have to get myself a few of those games, I seem to be missing out.

Puukko

Arcane
Went back to Ayesha and yup, it's gripped me just like Ryza did. Having more cute girls is a plus, the soundtrack is better and while the time limit is lax, it adds just enough urgency to make you think about how to be more efficient. I'm flexible but I do prefer good ol turn based battles over ATB. It took me half the game to start getting the hang of the alchemy system - sure, the base process is the same, but the intricacies are different enough that you really do need to relearn it for the most part. The difficulty curve is a bit odd, it juggles between a bit too easy and fairly tough.

I do wish there were more boss battles. I don't think I've had any so far, since the one against Keith is supposed to be lost anyway.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Most boss battles happen during real endgame are part of C&C and u need to prepare ur anus

Puukko

Arcane
Ah damn it, bad ending get. Yggdrasil popped up on my map on 24/3 on the last year so I had no time to make my way there. I spent the last 6 months trying to be efficient too so I dont know if I'd be able to squeeze in those extra days without going back a lot. I guess that's extra incentive to replay this someday, but as it is I think I'll move on to E&L.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
For some reason a new update for Ryza 1 adds "very easy" mode. https://steamcommunity.com/games/1121560/announcements/detail/2748836954708921650

Update information Ver1.06 (2020/7/31)

The following update has been released.
- Free Update "Very Easy Patch"
*The difficulty setting "Very Easy" is available within the options menu. Some strong enemies are now easier to defeat, and any enemies that are defeated in battle will reward the player with more experience points and gold.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Why would anyone play Atelier games not on the hardest mode available? Games are all about crafting and preparing. And cute girls.

Puukko

Arcane
Damn, I am enjoying Escha & Logy. I already liked Ayesha more than Ryza but this makes a number of really nice changes. 3+3 party members, both main characters can use items and MC has skills, backup members can support attack and defend so you can bring them to the front without using a turn, limited battle items that are auto replenished for free in town. I also like the game visually, compared to what I've seen of the following trilogy which looks way more generic.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
I am at the last chapter before the free year and I have to say this is one of the more solidly designed RPGs I've played. I like the freedom you have in picking what to do when exploring areas. Can choose to look for rare materials, or fight tough enemies that will always scale high enough that you won't feel like the game doesn't provide enough challenge. I still echo my previous comment about the lack of boss fights - the unique enemies available via field search do make up for this and they're literally reskins of proper story and post game bosses from Ayesha, but they do lack that story aspect I look for in a memorable boss. When I first read about this game, Logy's side was touted as being more mature and having qualities that RPG fans look for, but I can't say I'm too sure about that. It's been fairly standard slice of life fare as per the series standard. I'd really like to see a game with these mechanics, but with a more typical, grander JRPG plot to go with it.

The combat is almost unanimously an improvement over Ayesha, but I can't say I like how expensive it is to move around the field now, or how backup members are tied to specific spots on the field rather than the front line characters. What this means is that if you move along the field to make better use of aoe buff items, some backup members become unavailable outside a frontline character getting KO'd at which point they will be automatically switched in on what would be the KO'd member's turn. Which means you will be on a strict timer to rez that member, or they will be moved to the back where they can't be rezzed anymore. A bit counterintuitive... but I guess that's what auto rez items are for.

On another note, I find the devs' priorities a bit odd. There's a 3 hour long OST, characters with lots of effort put into their designs, but enemy models and some areas are heavily recycled to the point where more than half the enemies are shared with Ayesha and the final boss area from that game is a random area in this one. These are AA budget games, but surely Gust would be able to spare the resources to make a few more enemy models...

Puukko

Arcane
Ah, damn it. Here's a protip: if anyone here plans on playing E&L, ensure that after crafting the flight gas, you trigger Awyn's event before leaving town. If you don't, his events won't continue and you won't be able to unlock one post game area (ends of the earth) until way later. I am currently at 140 days out of 365 left and yet to unlock it via Lucilla's events, so I can't craft all the items I need for the bosses. One Gamefaqs comment had this info when I started googling in confusion. Really kind of soured me.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Anna, is that you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom