Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good less talked about RPGs

Cat Dude

Savant
We know rpg currently is a niche genre in the west so lets talk about first person shooter.

Cat Dude

Savant
All of these are, IMHO, great & enjoyable RPGs but are rarely discussed on here.........

hqdefault.jpg

This bad boy is mostly brilliant, but just starts to wane a bit towards the end.

A superb mix of fantasy, history, darkness & light humour, it just all fits together REALLY well. It's a bit easy, but the judgement ring system is really good fun, and first 3/4's of the game are superb, the last 1/4 good.

:5/5:

hqdefault.jpg

Absolutely mint from start to finish. Great characters, great story, great combat, great quests, great world, great lore etc. If you enjoy action RPG's I'd say this is the one to try off the list first. Once your over the initial slightly odd/clunky controls, you've a very original & fun game to enjoy, with quests that actually feel significant & rewarding.

maxresdefault.jpg

One of THE best paced games going, which displays an absolute masterclass in bait & deliver. Everything is balanced absolutely superbly, with enough roleplaying & secrets to indulge in, before a nice tactical battle ensues to get your teeth into.

lcOb86zfz-1eliCcMmu7w-wPAB3zy-4dhxS0-V-mn7U_390x400_1x-0.jpeg

Probably the one on this list which depends on your taste the most, this is an off-centre JRPG with a quirky "influence" battle system. It won't be for everyone, and it was a pain to get running properly, but once I'd got it sorted I was sucked in and played it through twice in a row, which is very rare for me.

:4/5:

91UJqhygmZL._SX342_.jpg

A thousand times better than it's sequel IMO. Far more epic, funny, & inspiring with way more satisfying combat too.

857116._SX270_QL80_TTD_.jpg

One of THE best party-banter RPGs out there. The game mechanics aren't something I bothered with, I just turned down the difficulty & bashed buttons. But the way the story is told, the fact that you play the "bad" guys, and the party banter make it a great time. Definitely one to play along the missus to shut her up too.

9781626926950.jpg

Similar to Berseria, more clunky combat, not quite as funny or well paced, it's still got enough going for it to play through and has enough good changes from Berseria to stay fresh (even though it's the older game. And if you play both do Berseria first, then this)

Are you going to challenge our white pride?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Lords of Magic, its a strategy/RPG hybrid where you play as one of eight faiths and attempt to kill Death, or if you're Death, kill everyone else. Interesting magic system, but pretty easy to cheese the game. Has an expansion that functions more as a standard RPG, which features the best adaption of King Arthur.
Ironseed, its Starflight, but you're the only humans left and you don't know what's going on in the universe at all.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
Time to face the music, the west produces nothing but shit, while the land of the raising sun delivers. China and Korea are also making strides into game development... and even potatos are giving us some decent stuff.

While I have certainly played JRPGs in the past that I did enjoy, I struggle to think of a lot of good JRPGs that have been released in the past years. Sure, I admit that I enjoyed the new Dragon Quest, a fun throwback game that cuts out a lot of the modern JRPG bullshit, but other than that? Even Atlus seems to only focus on Persona these days, which I find to be their least interesting property.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I will second these:

Grimoire
Lords of Xulima
Atom RPG
Titan Outpost
Legends of Amberland
Dark Heart of Uukrul

7 Mages and The Quest are kind of more generic, but not really bad either.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
The three games by Rad Codex (Voidspire Tactics, Alvora Tactics and Horizon's Gate) are all really fun and they don't get mentioned often enough I feel.

Lhynn

Arcane
While I have certainly played JRPGs in the past that I did enjoy, I struggle to think of a lot of good JRPGs that have been released in the past years. Sure, I admit that I enjoyed the new Dragon Quest, a fun throwback game that cuts out a lot of the modern JRPG bullshit, but other than that? Even Atlus seems to only focus on Persona these days, which I find to be their least interesting property.
Never said jrpgs, those are mostly shit. Though there are some good ones, like the trails games. Im more talking about Troubleshooter, from Dandylion, or games from Heluo studios, and other asian games too, while marred with poor or no translation at all they offer very deep and original systems and cool worlds to explore.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In my opinion Battlespire is one of the most underrated RPGs ever made. I believe that most people got put off by the fact it wasnt a open world game like other TES games but a pure dungeon crawler, what also didnt help with reviewers and players was lots of bugs. But the game has its share of good points with good level design, interesting characters and great atmosphere and soundtrack.

What made the game unique was the possibility to talk with every single enemy in the game. You could manipulate them into helping you, trick them to let you pass, or just get mocked by creatures that think you are nothing more then a inferior animal with sole purpose to be hunted for sport.

So despite all of its faults, I personally love this game but I understand why many people do not.

iu

Freedom Force. Fun campy homage to early 1960s era superhero comics. Flexible classless character building, lots of great abilities, the ability to create totally custom abilities from scratch to make any character type, highly interactive environments with good verticality, party based RTwP combat that was designed from scratch, not adapted from turn-based source material. It has a good art style that has aged well enough--particularly for an early 3D game. Freedom Force is totally stable, and operates flawlessly. There are many different play modes, from the main campaign to various different scenarios and survival modes. It's very mod and customization friendly, with a decent community still devoted to it.

I need to do a review of this game, I think. If anything, it will be an excuse to play it some more. I might get to that after I finish having fun with Kingmaker.

Polyphemus

Educated
Jeanne D'Arc is an SRPG that was on the PSP, but I never hear anyone mention it despite it being one of my favorite of the genre. Probably because it was only ever on the PSP, so no one can play it. I haven't played it in years.

Powder is a very solid Roguelike with a lot of fun variety, but I've only ever seen it mentioned in communities dedicated to Roguelikes specifically, and it's rare even then. It's free for PC.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The real hidden gem no one talks about on the Codex is TESIV: Oblivion. You may never have heard of it, but it popularized so many modern CRPG conventions like quest compasses, XBox friendly inventories, & horse armour DLC. Where would we be without this masterpiece?

Cael

Arcane
The real hidden gem no one talks about on the Codex is TESIV: Oblivion. You may never have heard of it, but it popularized so many modern CRPG conventions like quest compasses, XBox friendly inventories, & horse armour DLC. Where would we be without this masterpiece?
Codex has a specially trained person to spew such bullshit now.
Yes, and we feed it peanuts.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Codex has a specially trained person to spew such bullshit now.

Hey someone on here has gotta counteract all the Codex monkeys that think Planescape is actually a good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom