Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't played the game for a few days now, but I keep thinking about it. I think about all the cool parties I could be making, but then I remember it doesn't matter, and I'd have to reload every fight 10 times, and I decide it's not worth it. If it wasn't so difficult, this game would be a masterpiece.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Why do I have the feeling that everyone insists on passing a strength check to free Erzimon as the only solution available? My party had the option to melt the lock using the wizard's fire abilities.

What spell would that be?
It doesn't specify (nor consume a spell slot), the text simply says something amongst the lines of: "use your wizards fire skills to melt the lock". Perhaps you oughta have burning hands learned or something like that.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Custom animated sprites are surprisingly easy to do:

6dFLOcw.gif

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think we already established you won't get anywhere without reloading, especially on initiative in a lot of the fights, if you can't accept that and you think you can do ironman and somehow finish without reloading then you are delusional. When people give up it's usually because they think an encounter is impossible and that the developer clearly haven't even passed it himself. "I Want to see a video of him do it!", Well here is one way.

Having seen people claim that they finished the game in this thread, I know that no encounter here is really "impossible", and it's not why I gave up. I don't care whether it's possible or not. I don't care about your videos or about how it's "not that hard" when "not that hard" entails:

"Just reload until all 4 melee attacks hit in a row, until both your characters win initiative, until the caster does not open the battle with fireball and until the big enemy fails a saving throw that he is likely to make seven out of ten times."

And what follows is even more outrageous nonsense cooked up in a vacuum by a guy who was too lazy to even give it a practical test. Sure I can keep reloading and reshuffling dudes until I find the winning combination and get the winning dice. But can you please tell me what's the point? Because to me you are delusional if you continue trying to castigate yourself with this shitty game and its thoroughly frustrating, unrewarding and demotivational design, and if at some point instead of saying 'yep, I'm out', you begin convincing yourself that 'haha it's not that b-bad you see haha *sweats profusely*' because you reloaded another retarded fight 'only' 10 times instead of 30.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't remember anyone complaining about KotC1 difficulty, is the sequel so much harder? Is it due to the dev or is it the module?
I reloaded more times in the first chapter of KotC 2 than in the entirety of KotC 1 (counting both final boss fights).

KotC 2 is like a distorted versione of KotC 1 where every single encounter is the final fight against the dragon Tyrannixus and every chapter has a couple of fights harder than the last secret boss at the end of the game.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
KotC 2 is like a distorted versione of KotC 1 where every single encounter is the final fight against the dragon Tyrannixus and every chapter has a couple of fights harder than the last secret boss at the end of the game.

That was my impression as well. "Hey, everyone liked the real final battle of kotc1, that means every battle should be like it, right?"

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't remember anyone complaining about KotC1 difficulty, is the sequel so much harder? Is it due to the dev or is it the module?

KOTC1 had a lot less bullshit fights and requirement for metagaming. There were plenty of fights in KOTC1 that I made mistakes in yet still came out on top.

A lot of the combats in KOTC2 require you to basically savescum until you win initiative, beat enemy saves on your first round etc.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think we already established you won't get anywhere without reloading, especially on initiative in a lot of the fights, if you can't accept that and you think you can do ironman and somehow finish without reloading then you are delusional. When people give up it's usually because they think an encounter is impossible and that the developer clearly haven't even passed it himself. "I Want to see a video of him do it!", Well here is one way.

You do get that constantly having to savescum for perfect initiative or happenstance isn't really that fun right?

If you stand no chance if you don't win initiative then why even have it as a mechanic?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Maybe we are just trash and Pierre actually beat it without reloading with a non-optimized party. SHOW US PROOF, PIERRE!

When you designed all the encounters, that's probably not that great an achievement.

No matter how hard you try, you will always subconsciously take advantage.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The frustrating thing is that the game is actually close to being very good.
But even the best combat system is ruined if the guy using it is an absolute baguette designing a shitty module.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
What worries me is that Codexians are more competent players than your average Joes, so I assume once this hits Steam it will be downboated like there is no tomorrow. Think of the AoD Review thread for reference. So he better turn down that difficulty a notch.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The encounter that starts with the giant crocodile after you defeat the "crones' trial" is hilarious. Here's a giant crocodile: he kills you in one round, but you have plenty of chances to disable him and slowly kill him. What? You didn't kill him in one round? Here's a bunch of low level enemies: disable them or they are going to hit for 40 damage with their spells. What? You didn't kill them in one round? You need to learn, here's a bunch of oozes: each one hits for 60 damage. What? Still here? Now fight a bunch of smaller giant crocodiles. I don't know what's after that, but I'm sure there has to be more.

It wouldn't be that bad if the party was at full resources, but you come from an encounter with an Iron golem and two hundred million oozes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom