Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Men, I just had an interesting idea of sorts and I wonder whether it's worth pursuing. Since you can easily change the basic module data, what if you allowed starting with level 3 characters and added some starting geld to the party to compensate for the early level up costs? Wouldn't that possibly make things a little more fair?

I did just that, editing the Module to start with 20K gold for each PJ, it helps to be able to level up whenever you want (didn't edit the starting level though, not that you need it early on)

Still, at some point, there is some bullshit.
The Green goblins fight, for example, if you take them on alone (overconfidence kills you in KotC 2), the fight seems almost easy at first until reinforcements arrive.
It'd be ok without the Mage Minotaur and the Snakeman Champion, leaving just a giant frog one troll, one troll warrior and one snakeman as reinforcements along with some goblins. (Only tried it once, before realizing i should have visited the Grey Goblins south before)

If it keeps being this way, there's probably one monster or two to remove or downgrade from every other encounter to make the game a bit more fair with a manageable hard difficulty.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
When are you supposed to rest in chapter 3? After the opening fight with Pizarra, I dealt with the shadows ambush at the chest, the small group on the way back to the crones, the crocodiles + crab + slimes before the water passage, the slimes before the mimics, the mimics themselves and the rust monsters. Now I can face the undeads ambush at the book, the evil eyes and the humans ambush that Pizarra warns you about. Pizarra still has slots to endure one or two easy fights, but everyone else is on his knees. I have the lamp and the bonfire, but I guess the lamp should be kept intact for later... is it a good stop to use the bonfire or do I absolutely need it later?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
When are you supposed to rest in chapter 3? After the opening fight with Pizarra, I dealt with the shadows ambush at the chest, the small group on the way back to the crones, the crocodiles + crab + slimes before the water passage, the slimes before the mimics, the mimics themselves and the rust monsters. Now I can face the undeads ambush at the book, the evil eyes and the humans ambush that Pizarra warns you about. Pizarra still has slots to endure one or two easy fights, but everyone else is on his knees. I have the lamp and the bonfire, but I guess the lamp should be kept intact for later... is it a good stop to use the bonfire or do I absolutely need it later?

See if you can clear the grimoire room and psi beetles before resting and try to clear the eyes, you want as many levels as you can possibly muster.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Personally I found it incredibly hard to do Ch 3 without using the lamp, but when I got to Ch 4 I was very grateful that I did.
I suggest you buy all the Heal scrolls from the merchants when you find them to tide you over and just clear as much without resting as you can...

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Heal scrolls, heal potions, and all cleansing potions are an absolute must crfit cure potions probably aren't bad either for patching up before a battle. With chapter 3 your melees will be doing a lot of the heavy lifting for most of those fights in order to conserve PP and magic for nastier shit like the emperor eye.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

See if you can clear the grimoire room and psi beetles before resting and try to clear the eyes, you want as many levels as you can possibly muster.
Psi beatles?

The grimoire room and the humans ambush are out of the question, my casters are completely out of resources. I can try the evil eyes encounter, but I'm not that confident... is there another bonfire/resting method other than the one in the Pizarra room?

Mortmal

Arcane

Psi beatles?

The grimoire room and the humans ambush are out of the question, my casters are completely out of resources. I can try the evil eyes encounter, but I'm not that confident... is there another bonfire/resting method other than the one in the Pizarra room?
The genie lamp, if you already used it you are screwed.Seems a pretty consistent theme in the game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What I did was:

Rest after Pizza,
clear slimes, rust monsters, entire eye area including the boss, psi beetles, slimes and faction battle, rest with merchant fire,
clear fire room, fire ambush, minotaurs, gorgons, some formians, one of the undead trap rooms, rest with merchant fire if there are 2 uses (can't remember) - if not eat astralagus,
clear death snare, rest,
clear killer spider, clear lich, clear chapter end demon, rest

That's how I remember it anyhow.
I used some of my Astralagus/rest herb in this section to make do with lack of resting. It's possible the merchants only give 1 fire and not 2 and I misremember; in that case use your herbs to get by. You should still have enough for the last chapter if you have been conservative.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Version 1.03 will no longer have gold costs to level up, and it will be easier to roll the stats you want, say the unpaid Discord beta-testers that got 1.03 early.

Bullshit. I want other people to suffer like I have...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
b932d4726d34bdb7f522e9f808ff0cd1.png

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
What worries me is that Codexians are more competent players than your average Joes, so I assume once this hits Steam it will be downboated like there is no tomorrow. Think of the AoD Review thread for reference. So he better turn down that difficulty a notch.

Difficulty changes will come before steam release. At least that's what I gleaned from reading Pierre's updates.

You are all guinea pigs.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Version 1.03 will no longer have gold costs to level up, and it will be easier to roll the stats you want, say the unpaid Discord beta-testers that got 1.03 early.

Great News, KotC 2 will be the masterpiece it's supposed to sooner or later and i'm sure his following modules will get better and better.

Didn't get anything done tonight and i'm tempted to wait for 1.03...
I'll probably retry to crush survive the green gobs "alone" now i recruited Erz with everyone fully rested.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
But guise, Pierre already added best difficulty adjustment tool ever. The Editor.
Tired of resource management? Drop a campfire on any map you want.
Can't try inferior classes, because only true heroes survive? Up the party limit and take a useless dude to watch others do cool stuff.
Gold for level ups sucks? Add as much "levelin" money as you want.
Reloading for initiative is 50% of your playtime? There are boots of +10 init and ring of +6 init in the game items. Just saying...
Don't fight the insane system, change it.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Difficulty changes will come before steam release. At least that's what I gleaned from reading Pierre's updates.

You are all guinea pigs.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Noddy

Augur

Bullshit. I want other people to suffer like I have...

It's like drawing a cock over the Mona Lisa.

Noddy

Augur
Your fine to rest but if you want to get through it comfortably then most of the eye shit can be cleared with a couple of decent fighters, no spell slots really needed.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What worries me is that Codexians are more competent players than your average Joes, so I assume once this hits Steam it will be downboated like there is no tomorrow. Think of the AoD Review thread for reference. So he better turn down that difficulty a notch.

You are all guinea pigs.

backer beta in all but name

makes it even more infuriating

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
True, he should've called it a backer beta, clearly that's what it atis. But at least he's listening to feedback, if KotC2 1.0 came out on Steam, it would be crushed by negative reviews. Now it has a chance of reaching more people, hopefully get a modding scene going.

I wonder if he'll manage to release it before November, when Cyberpunk and all the big titles come out. It's his best chance of getting some media coverage.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Guess all you chumps better hurry up if you want to finish the REAL version of this game.
Thank God the game doesn't update automatically.

Imagine not having to spend gold to level up.

Imagine being able to use water breathing potions BEFORE jumping into an underwater cave.

Imagine being able to select every dialogue option.

Disgusting peasants. :martini:

PrettyDeadman

Is this the Dark Souls of hardcore TB OGL crpgs with token-based graphics?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom