Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I just found out that Reinhard Pollice is the producer for the remake who also the producer for Arcania so expect *immersive gameplay* and *quality*

leaked footage
EqualWhichGermanwirehairedpointer-size_restricted.gif

Is this truth? The same guy who made Arcania is making remake for G1? Is THQ Nordic trying to kill the franchise?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm willing to give them a chance. I have been pleasantly surprised quite a few times in my 20+ gamur career.

I'll happily shit on them when the game releases in like 10 years and it's dogvomit (more than likely).

Dodo1610

Arcane
I just found out that Reinhard Pollice is the producer for the remake who also the producer for Arcania so expect *immersive gameplay* and *quality*

leaked footage

Is this truth? The same guy who made Arcania is making remake for G1? Is THQ Nordic trying to kill the franchise?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/arcania-gothic-4/credits

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/podcast-gothic-remake,3359967.html
Der Producer Reinhard Pollice

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, maybe they'll also have a guy in their Special Thanks section who worked on Realms of Arkania HD.

You guys are being silly, producers aren't a creatively important role.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
They should just take the Risen combat system, refine it and add a stamina system.

For example, you can't attack if you have depleted stamina and if you block an attack but have insufficient stamina you will be staggered and vulnerable for two seconds. It's probably too much to ask from a rookie studio, I kinda feel for them.

If you want more Gothic, I suggest just waiting for History of Khorinis and Chronicles of Myrtana to come out.

Momock

Augur
Even if Dark Souls is not bad (but massively overhyped in any aspect that isn't gameplay), we really do not need to have it's mechanic in every game...
Why not having then in other games? After all DS mechanics aren't in FromSoft games anymore, so...

Codex Year of the Donut

leaked footage

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/arcania-gothic-4/credits

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/podcast-gothic-remake,3359967.html
Der Producer Reinhard Pollice
https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/elex/credits

JDR13

Arcane
I mean this was debated at length. I am not opposed to a remake in general but from their showing I agree that they should not touch the game.

Sure, they may be able to pull it of in the end but the chances of it being shit is immense and if it is, it's either some shitty clone of some other game that isn't gothic, killing what the franchise *IS* again for a bit of cash or it's simply shit and the franchise will be buried for another 15-20 years if not forever.

If they had produced a decent trailer at least I would be a lot more optimistic.

The teaser sucked hard, but I'm still curious what a remake could potentially be like even if I know it won't be as good as Gothic 1 & 2.

Here's the thing. Even if it's not as good as Gothic 1 & 2 - as it surely will not be - it's going to negatively effect future PB games. It's irrevocably connected now, so if it's utter shit and sells well, we're going to see the detrimental effects in PB games. This is worrisome because PB has finally made progress with ELEX. Either way, it's a shitty, no-good developer touching a cherished franchise, and doing extremely poorly in the process. Nothing here is good, but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised. I won't be, but I'd like to be.

PB has already stated that they're not going back to Gothic. Also, most gamers aren't dumb. They know who developed the games they're playing, and a remake from a different developer isn't going to change how they view PB's Gothics.

It's also not going to affect PB's future games in the least for that same reason.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
They should just take the Risen combat system, refine it and add a stamina system.

For example, you can't attack if you have depleted stamina and if you block an attack but have insufficient stamina you will be staggered and vulnerable for two seconds. It's probably too much to ask from a rookie studio, I kinda feel for them.

If you want more Gothic, I suggest just waiting for History of Khorinis and Chronicles of Myrtana to come out.
I don't know about a stamina system but I really do wish they'd basically just copy the melee from Risen

Not.AI

Learned
"Gothic Souls"! *Yes!* In the words of Lenin, *This!*

Now there is a good idea ... (I want it.)

Actually though, in the grand scheme of things, G1/G2 had good combat systems.

I like PB games, and I liked Elex, but if we're honest, isn't it just Gothic with a new coat of paint, exactly like Risen was?

If it's not broken, and it's good, why change it? How many things are actually worse than what came before, right?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
"Gothic Souls"! *Yes!* In the words of Lenin, *This!*

Now there is a good idea ... (I want it.)

Absolutely not. I've seen enough Dark Souls clones thank you. DS is one of the most overrated and overhyped games of all time. I wish I could go the rest of my life without hearing it referenced.

Actually though, in the grand scheme of things, G1/G2 had good combat systems.

I agree but Risen did it better. I don't really want to do that kind of combat again when there are better options. It was interesting in it's time but it's outdated since there are better options now.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I finally got around to listening that podcast episode on GameStar! A few clarifications on their list:

The guy in the interview was very surprised that Gothic is played by so many zoomers and people 20-30. He thought young people were only playing Fortnite and Cod. 20% of all players were younger than 21.

He was very anxious about the teaser, because he himself thought it was shit and would trigger a shitstorm lol. Sounds like they send the most codexian individual they could find to gamestar.

The PT included many "modern elements" (popamole) so they could get clear feedback on it. He himself sounded heavily opposed to it and glad that the feedback on that was scathing.

He noted that especially the eastern european fans were super stern about the rp options like benches and full animations for eating food and drinking potions. He didnt sound fully concinved, stating that purely sitting on benches without mechanical benefit is outdated, they are trying to attach systems to it. They do however see the importance of immersion and rp options and want to include as many as possible. He is definitly on board with full animations for eating/drinking/healing.

They are under the impression that the combat system works well against humans but badly against monsters. Reason for this was that the teaser was not intended to have wolves/scavengers etc until shortly before release. It sounds to me like they will keep the for honor style dueling against humans and add aditional combat systems against monsters. The stuff about the "strategic combat" is blown out of proportion, he just used that choice of words to differentiate it from ARPGs like diablo where you spam your attacks and mainly press hotkeys in order for your rotation.
They see combat as very important since in many rpgs its something you are doing for a large chunk of the actual gametime. He sees the mainpoint in Gothic combat in accentuating the freedom of the system. With different attack directions triggering different actics.

The checklist for new content was not used in the teaser, leading to quests which were not in line with the Gothic experience. He only revealed one point from the list, a Gothic hero should not have a knowledge divide from the player. In many rpgs you know stuff your hero does not know or vice versa, in Gothic the knowledge level of the nameless hero and you should always be the same for maximum immersion.

They are happy for the interest the teaser got, but think the quality of the teaser was too low. Average rating out of 100 the game got on the 43000 survey results was in the high 70s, they want at least high 80s.

They intend to use the old dialogue soundfiles. For new content they try to hire the old voiceactors to not get any breaks. This has been extraordinarily important for the Russians, Poles and Germans. HOFFNUNG AUF FREIHEIT

Piranha Bytes main studio is not focussed on Gothic. Probably busy doing Elex 2. The studio has free reign since PB does not give a fuck apparently. Ex Piranha Bytes devs are generally on board for the project.
Corona has hit them pretty hard, they were not able to found their company legally in time to hire new programmers, they are only now at 25 emloyees. As such Gothic 1 Remake is a long way off. They hope to be able to show the next trailer end of 2020.

Generally the interview raised my expectations a little. The dude talked a lot about depth in the 67:43 minutes and sounded like a proper elitist in general.
They want to change very little from the original game, the PT takes much more liberty with the source than the final game will take due to resounding feedback that people want it closer to the source.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They are under the impression that the combat system works well against humans but badly against monsters. Reason for this was that the teaser was not intended to have wolves/scavengers etc until shortly before release. It sounds to me like they will keep the for honor style dueling against humans and add aditional combat systems against monsters

That is the most RETARDED thing ever.
  1. The combat vs humans is not good. Is unimersive, slow, non lethal, boring and would be even worse if ranged options(magic / crossbows / bows) are in the equation
  2. What if i an fighting a Goblin and a human?
The For Honor combat is awful for mouse & keyboard. If they really wanna copy another game combat, why not copy mount & blade? it works well with anything, from daggers to mounted arquebusiers.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
They are under the impression that the combat system works well against humans but badly against monsters. Reason for this was that the teaser was not intended to have wolves/scavengers etc until shortly before release. It sounds to me like they will keep the for honor style dueling against humans and add aditional combat systems against monsters

That is the most RETARDED thing ever.
  1. The combat vs humans is not good. Is unimersive, slow, non lethal, boring and would be even worse if ranged options(magic / crossbows / bows) are in the equation
  2. What if i an fighting a Goblin and a human?
The For Honor combat is awful for mouse & keyboard. If they really wanna copy another game combat, why not copy mount & blade? it works well with anything, from daggers to mounted arquebusiers.

I am not exactly sure how they want to implement it either, but he sounded very convinced by the swordfights in the demo, and the statistical feedback was good.
That is probably the dozens of new prototypes they are testing, trying to find a way how they can make the systems overlap.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Relistening the relevant parts, the combat did not get good feedback. It had the lowest feedback of 3.0 of 5.0 overall, with most other values being in the 3.7 range. It just seems that this one guy and a vocal minority of users liked the swordcombat. So perhaps the changes are more sweeping than thought.

I would personally hope for a combat system like Mordhau. Works very well with ranged options and other unorthodox weapons, will striking a nice balance between skill and not devolving into For Honor stall matches or retarded Chivalry striptease. Also a very lethal system.

JDR13

Arcane
Yeah, the combat in the teaser was terrible imo. I don't want to see anything similar to that in the actual game.

I'd like something closer to Gothic 1 & 2 where your skill level with a weapon type determined what you could do.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I would personally hope for a combat system like Mordhau.

The problem is that a free form combat like Mordhau (that is one without lock on and where the moves performed are determined by the mouse's aim and not button inputs) is better suited for FP games and also such systems don't allow the player to perform really distinct and complex moves (which is good not only for the sake of having a more involved and thoughtfull combat system but also for ARPG's where the "rewards" for upgrading your character's combat skills are those better moves).

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
My personal tier list of melee combat in games. Rip off one of these (except Dark Souls) and I'll be happy

1) Mount and Blade
2) Risen
3) Gothic 1&2
4) Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (maybe? been a while since I played this) If this one isn't as good as I remember replace it with Shadow Warrior 2 or something.
5) Dark Souls
6) everything else (shit tier for Gothic)

Last edited:

overly excitable young man

Gothic better combat than DS? Ima fanatic gothic fan but you don't have to invent stuff now to love the game.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
DS just isn't that good. It's not bad by any means but people just overhype it because OMGWTFITSLIKESOHARDGUYZ when it's really nothing special. Well above average but nowhere near as good as everyone seems to think for some reason and it's not even hard once it clicks with you. I really don't understand the love and hype for it.

overly excitable young man

But objectively DS combat is more complex than just pressing control+w till your enemy's dead like in gothic.
You can very well finish both gothics without ever blocking.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
It think it's been far too long since you last played Gothic if that's your impression of the combat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom