Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Chronicles for Windows (PC) - Translation Project to English COMPLETE!!! V0.983b Released!!

Empary

Scholar
Still, dungeon isnt working properly. I will try it on my laptop

octavius

Arcane
Patron
On floor 6 my party finally started to feel powerful, with a Knight with Steel Battleaxe (Attack Power 80), Greater Thief with Mage's Bane Slayer (AP 50), and Archer with Quality Longbow (AP 40).
But on floor 7 they started to feels squishy; those Demons hit really hard, so I decided to do make some changes.
The Bard was getting useless, and the Archer looked like he would never get promoted, so I retired them and rolled a new Swordsman and a new Archer. Also the Priest respecced his lvl 3 spells, switching Cure Paralyze with the AC -4 spell.

Once the new guys have leveled up a bit, after double checking all the floors for secret doors, I'll return to floor 7. And I bet the first thing I'll find is some very nice Instrument that make me question the wisdom of retiring my bard...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Had my first couple of party deaths on floor 7, first against the first fixed/boss fight in the game, and then when getting cocky trying to run the gauntlet of 12 battles after one of the teleporters. I'm determined to explore the whole level before facing the two fallen heroes and their demon minions again.

The game was getting quite dull on floors 3 and 4, but has picked up since then.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Finally managed to run the whole gauntlet of 16 battles in a row on floor 7, and after passing this test I reckoned it was time to pass the gate to the keepers of the keys to the Twin Dragon Kings.
VVX1AFL.jpg

The first boss fight was rather tedious, with two hard hitting hit point sponges seemingly totally immune to magic. The only one who had a chance was my Knight thanks to the spell that improves AC by 5. My Bishop (promoted from Priest) couldn't cast the AC -4 spell fast enough to save the rest of the party.

Shackleton, do you remember what tactics you used in this fight?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Actually those two gentlemen were the Twin Dragon Kings, and apparantly they have some elemental weakness, but it looks like that weakness is moot due to their magic resistance or immunity.
WCJERUi.jpg

And other monsters are starting to look more Japanese:
yVZenWo.jpg

Turned my Archer into a Ninja, so I ditched my Greater Thief, and rolled a new Soldier who I plan to develop into a Samurai.
I didn't find any super instruments (but then they would soon break anyway, so Bards seem to be truly useless unless you can promote them around lvl 10-12, and/or their promotion class (Minstrel?) don't break their instruments), but I'm sure now I'll find a super bow when I have no Archer.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If I remember right, the main tactics to use on any hard fight was the secret, mysterious tactic of
getting more levels.

Hope you like grinding! Find some mobs that call reinforcements, cast the -4 AC spell a few times, then melee away, being careful not to kill them all.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I hate grinding, but repeatedly trying to run the gauntlet of 16 battles on floor 7 until I succeeded gained me lots of levels. I guess this was conscious design.

Anyway, my new Ninja is quite useless at disarming traps, so it looks like I may have to bring my Greater Thief back from retirement, unless he improves by the time I descend to floor 9.
Overall the Ninja is a bit underwhelming so far compared to how he is in the American wizardry games (either some super class you need 17 in all stats for, or he could also cast spells). In Chronicle he can't use magic, has no special quipment (so far at least) and at lvl 7 only one critical hit so far, but at least he can use heavy armour and the best 1H weapons.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Things really got hairy on floor 9, with som winged abonimations (chimeras, I guess) doing 62 points of breath damage. Meeting a full contingent of four, all of them acted before my guys (fastest one having 19 Speed), so I was helpless. It also shows that Magic Defence doesn't work against breath damage.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Getting through a gauntlet of 10 battles in an Anti-Magic zone, Eirik Raude the Knight was yet again Last Man Standing.
wTH6aiY.jpg

So maybe a Bard would not have been a bad choice after all? Too bad my old one never got stats good enough for a promotion (to Minstrel?), as I'd really like to test out that class.

I also discovered that changing class from Mage to the Priest promotion (Mendicn) is a very bad idea indeed, as he will start forgetting one spell each time you level up, starting with the highest level ones. And you really need a good mage in this game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This must be the most tedious boss I've ever faced:
rQwHUQ5.jpg

Totally immune to magic, 400 HP (I googled it), she cast spells of ass destruction and is speedy enough that casting the Barrier shield is not guaranteed protection, and has a melee attack that can make the target go insane (in practice petrified and out of the battle, and can only be cured in town).
And worst of all, it looks like some fat, degenerate, man hating SJW.

Only me two front liners can hit her, doing up to 16 damage on a lucky hit.

And of course you can't escape and regroup, so you are forced to meta-gaming; equip front liners with the best 2H weapons, ditch the Ninja for a hard hitting Swordsman and ditch the Thief for a Bard who can buff the party a bit.

But right now I'm too tired to put thoughts into action.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
My tactics worked swimmingly on first try, and I was able to do up to 65 damage, and in the end the fat ugly slob dissolved in a pool of putrid misandry.

So the Bard has had an interesting development...first an essential character when my spell casters were weak, then becoming virtually useless, and now someone you call in for special assignments.

To avoid all those nasty status effects, I've had my Knight use Magic Sword and Shield +1. Against most enemies the difference between the Steel Battle Axe's 80 in Attack Power and the 55 from the Magic Long Sword is not dramatic, but against those bosses the difference is crucial. It's bloody annoying that you can't re-equip during combat, but are virtually forced to meta gaming and reloading.
I guess I was overly optimistic when I thought it would be possible to Iron Man this game while playing it blind, like I did in Wiz 1 (until Werdna's TILTOWAIT, that is).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Holy metabolism discharge matter, things got hairy on floor 11.

Had to run from Zombie Dragons and Greater Demons.
Zombie Dragons have lots of HP and the Kill Undead spell doesn't work on them. After both breathed on the party only Last Man Standing was left alive.
The Greater Demons are extremely annoying in that they Call for Help, and being very hard to kill, facing four of them was an impossible task.

So my party feels quite weak, and I'm actually considering restarting the game.

I disovered that you can actually start with the Knight and Greater Thief classes
Knight needs 13 STR, 12 INT, 14 VIT and 10 DEX
Greater Thief needs 12 INT, 12 SPD, and 15 DEX

I was a bit worried that my Priest changing to Bishop was a bad idea (well, I still am), but it turns out the promotion class (Mendicn) can't be Evil. Weird, since a Priest can't be Neutral. But I guess that's what Faust's Magic Store is for, to disperse all the money you collect on alignment conversions.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I thought 20 was maximum bonus points, but I was wrong.
It takes much more rerolling than in the classic Wizardries, though.

iWjz4lr.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So I restarted the game since I was not satisfied with my characters This thanks to very little info to work on, but also due to how stat increases work.

Stats don't go up randomly, but are heavily biased towards the "prime requisites" for the class. So a Priest will always, or nearly always, gain a point in PIE when leveling up, and ditto for Mages and Int, while a Thief can level up to level 10 without increasing STR or INT one bit, thereby taking forever to qualify for Ninja, for example.
So to plan for promotions you kind of need to boost the stats you need for promotions, and not those that are most useful for you current class.

I also found out the stats required for the Philospher (advanced Mage) and Mendicn (advance Priest): INT/PIE 15, VIT 12, 10 DEX and 12 MAG DEF. I think the Monarch also needs Magic Defence (and a Good alignment).

With 19 bonus points you can start with a Mirelli Mendicn, which really speeds things up.
A Wallback should also be able to be able to start as a Philosopher, but max 16 Speed is a huge turn off. I'd much rather have a Tairon with 20 Speed, but a Tairon would need 22 bonus points which is not realistic, but he should be able to change class at lvl 3 with optimal stat allocation and no bad luck.

My "dream team" for a diverse (all races included) party is:
Sadeeq Knight
Tairon Ninja
Human Samurai or Bard
Wallback Swordsman . Preferably in the rear equipped with a poleaxe. Hard to keep alive in the front.
Mirelli Mendicen
Tairon Philosopher

Bard becomes kind of situational, though. Highly useful in anti-magic zones.
But only a Samurai can wield the fabled Muramasa blade, apparantly.
With Knight, Ninja and Samurai you have a very solid front line.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
For the first time I'm actually grinding in an RPG, and by chance (ha!) it's a Japanese one.
I decided that before I venture to the next floor, I have to clear the current one in one go. That is, fighting all the encounters on that floor without resting, but no limits on consumables except backspace room.

I beat floor 2 on the third try, and before floor 8 I managed the rest on the first try.
But there is a definite difficulty spike on floor 8, which is most evident by the fact that all the new enemies you face there are immune to Sleep. So the Bard can't spam Sleep from a backpack full of Flutes of Slumbering, which makes things quite a bit more difficult.

But considering the horrors that aweight on lower levels I think it's worth it.

No party deaths so far.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Finally figured out that door of origin puzzle

That origin puzzle is a nice one, I'm not going to post spoilers but if someone is *really* stuck rest assured it's doable if you think about it and get a pencil (or pen) out!

Give me a hint.

What does "Cast off wisdom" mean? Ignore numbers? Ignore letters?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

That origin puzzle is a nice one, I'm not going to post spoilers but if someone is *really* stuck rest assured it's doable if you think about it and get a pencil (or pen) out!

Give me a hint.

maybe its a crossword mapping puzzle again

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Give me a hint.

When I wrote all the clues down together the picture became a lot clearer. You're on the right lines.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
After a night's sleep I'm starting to see the pattern:

Ignore letters. Pile up tables see blanks find out figures.

After breakfeast and coffee I'll be ready for seppuku sudoku.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This was a hard nut to crack, and I'm moving on.
Hopefully it was not a vital puzzle to solve.

Please leave some hints in quotes for future adventurers please (mostly people like myself who aren't good at solving tricky puzzles)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom