Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

vota DC

Augur
Anyone have any idea about who the main villain is in cyberpunk?
You can side with all major factions, only villain you cannot side is Kenshiro because he makes all punks (cyber or not) explode.

hans_af_claes

Novice
  • Super Hero Landing - reduces fall damage by 5%.
wow that is a useful perk. I'm playing a super hero build at launch!

Great then that you are playing a "roleplaying game" and that you can just "role play" as a super hero. That's what you "role players" like isn't it?

Why does this thread have more than 345 pages now again?

*sigh* im just pissing against the wind..

Last edited:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex

Great then that you are playing a "roleplaying game" and that you can just "role play" as a super hero. That's what you "role players" like isn't it?

Yeah shove off old man. Go piss on yourself in some corner

hans_af_claes

Novice

pissing against the wind != pissing in a corner

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

pissing against the wind != pissing in a corner
Which is why he proposed it as an alternative.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Interesting that they're claiming there's less urgency in the game. They want you to walk around and explore the city at a more leisurely pace (basically LARPing). Some people are going to hate this, but I think it's cool.

(insert joke about Crispy's long-known preferences here)

Perfect.

STL149216

Is that comic any good? How bad is the propaganda in it?

Silverfish

Arbiter
It's not too bad by modern standards. It's gen-x propaganda, so it's pretty tame and at least tries to entertain along the way.

Semiurge

Cipher
Interesting that they're claiming there's less urgency in the game. They want you to walk around and explore the city at a more leisurely pace (basically LARPing). Some people are going to hate this, but I think it's cool.

Perfect.

STL149216

Is that comic any good?

Sure, especially if you've ever wondered what it would be like if Hunter S. Thompson was re-incarnated in the 23rd century. The last good decade of funnybooks ended after the turn of the millenium and it might have even been the best period for mature comics.

Last edited:

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

Perfect.

STL149216

Is that comic any good?

Sure, especially if you've ever wondered what it would be like if Hunter S. Thompson was re-incarnated in the 23rd century.

which comic is it ?

Semiurge

Cipher

Perfect.

STL149216

Is that comic any good?

Sure, especially if you've ever wondered what it would be like if Hunter S. Thompson was re-incarnated in the 23rd century.

which comic is it ?

Transmetropolitan.

Quillon

Arcane
Some interesting bits from this article.
https://spidersweb.pl/2020/06/cyberpunk-2077-questy-pawel-sasko-wywiad.html

About the story length and general quest structure

Cyberpunk's structure was built on the foundations set by the lessons we learned from our work on The Witcher 3. The Witcher had main story as it's core with several subplots branching out of it. That was the basic structure, which we called a wheat spike. In Cyberpunk we added another nonlinear layer to it in the form of the subplots that serve as a quests, which can be triggered in a various circumstances. Those quests are not set up in a linear fashion. We are using an internal system, so called token system, which decides on whenever the game supposed to give you those quests.

That means that even I couldn't tell you in what kind of order those quests will trigger for you, because the game itself will decide on that based on your current progress. Of course we are still holding the reins and decide upon what kind of conditions need to be fulfilled for that particular quest to trigger, but the process itself is very difficult to explain. The game has the most complex structure that we ever did.

Looking back, in case of The Witcher 3, some players and journalists had an issue with the main plot being too long. Around the battle in Kaer Morhen and right after it there was this feeling of upcoming finality, but it ended up feeling too stretched out. That was one of the issues we wanted to avoid while creating Cyberpunk's main story. That additional time we got by making the main story slightly shorter, we spend on the subplots.

So in the Cyberpunk's structure we have this wheat spike, which serves as it's center, the main storyline with different subplots surrounding it, which can be triggered in a various ways. Those subplots allow us to do something that we have never done before, they change the main plot of the game and they are doing that in such a way that you may not even finish the main plot, but still finish the game and get a completely different epilogue then the player with a different lifepath who made different choices, met different characters and formed relationships with them.

The game's nonlinear nature is present on several levels. Because of that, it's hard for me to tell how long exactly it will take for the player to finish the main story. Regarding of how many subplots we prepared, at this moment, looking just at the story content that has been handcrafted by my team, they are equal in length to the main story, even a little longer then that. Everything depends on the playstyle chosen by the player.

When people play the game as a Solo, they tend to finish the game faster then players who prefer more silent approach and, for example, avoid killing people, which means their playthrough will be quite longer. That quest inside All Food Factory, with the Maelstrom gang, Dum Dum and Royce, which you were playing through, offers 12 different paths and those paths vary in terms of length. Depending on your chosen path, the quest will have a different length and because of that it's hard to answer this question.

About whether you can finish the game without killing a single person

Oh yes, very much so. The most important choices in the game, all the bosses and elite enemies - there is always some way to avoid a bloodshed. Sometimes violence and enemy encounter is unavoidable, but it's not like you are forced to tear your opponents apart, but also you can't avoid the combat entirely - however you are able to fight in such a way to neutralize your enemies without killing them and finish the game this way.

About lifepaths

Interviewer: So how much of an impact the choice of our character upbringing have on the story - is it just a window dressing and some additional dialogue options or does it also opens up an alternate paths?

Paweł: When you choose your lifepath, as a player you define who you are. As designers, we need to be aware of that throughout the entire experience. At the start of the game you will have a completely different quest, start your adventure in a different place and meet Jackie in a different circumstances.

At some point the story narrows down a bit, then depending on your backstory you will get an access to a quests, which you wouldn't get with different lifepath and that's the first difference. The second one is that you have a certain options during the quests, which are unique to your lifepath. I don't know who you were playing as...

I: Corpo.

Oh! When you talked to Meredith Stout, have you tried using your lifepath related dialogue options?

I: Yes, I noticed there was an additional option there.

And who did you met in the end of your quest?

I: I told the gang about the virus.

OK, so you decided to betray Meredith. This is when your lifepath becomes the most visible, when you interact with other Corpos your knowledge allows you to choose the options unique to your lifepath. That has it's own consequences later on. That's just one example of how the additional option in a single scene can open up another branching path for the entire quest.

I: So if I chose another lifepath, I wouldn't be able to make the quest play out this way?

That's right. You encountered people from the Corp, so your Corpo knowledge made a difference, but I can tell you that Nomad has an access to something that Corpo does not. As a Nomad, you would be able to obtain the convoy's signatures, since Nomads specialize in robbing those - since they themselves live in convoys, travelling with their cars and bikes. As a Nomad you know how to steal the convoy signatures and then you can use that information to trigger another path.

As a designers we are always looking for a ways to provide the player with roleplaying options. Those different possibilities don't give you a completely different ending, but by sticking to this particular lifepath, as a Nomad you will be dealing with people like you.

It's the same for the other lifepaths - they all have their own, custom epilogues. What's important, is that you can change your path. As a Street Kid or Corpo you can start working with Nomads, play through the game this way and end the game as a Nomad - but if you start the game as a Nomad and then end the game as a Nomad, you will receive an additional paths and parts of the story. It shows that there are many layers to that.

Why did you left out the most important part of that interview? :P

Have you had to change any content in the game, including in quests, influenced by recent events in the US and the Black Lives Matter movement?

The important point is that we already have the game recorded at this stage, actually for a long time. This is the last stage in which we do not change anything in the story we are telling, add nothing or remove anything. These events, as you yourself have noticed, took place very recently.

The second point is, for us, Cyberpunk and The Witcher are games that show our philosophy as studies. The game we're working on is a largely entertainment medium, but for us it's also art - a work that shows our vision. It is difficult for me to imagine the events that would have to happen for us to suddenly find that we are changing or moving something in order not to touch any specific elements.

Anyway, I think you saw elements in the game that touch it, so you could find out for yourself. For me, the most important thing is that our game is a closed work and it is not a political statement, a political thesis.

As a studio, we are such an amalgam of different people who have different approaches to political, religious, spiritual and internal life, also when it comes to sexual orientations or political sympathies. As a studio, we always try to cultivate openness and approach it in such a way that everyone can have a say and that each of these shades can be represented, as long as it is of course within the law and reason - so that each player can find here something for yourself and find answers to your own questions.

For me and my team, the game is a work of art and I always stick to it, and I always repeat it to my designers. I don't feel like I'm producing something, I feel more like painting a picture or creating music, stories, movies. This is art to me, and art is the stories we tell the player, and that's the most important thing to us.

I was a bit worried if they had delayed the game partly because to make some changes related to that.

Perfect.

STL149216

Transmetropolitan is the old school gonzo-panegyric to unabashed journalism, somewhat naive at the end, but highly entertaining. All propaganda is Gen-X lefty tier, as Silverfish had already said. Warren Ellis, the author, was also #metoo'ed recently, so he must be doing something right. :dance:

Yosharian

Arcane

Perfect.

STL149216

Transmetropolitan is the old school gonzo-panegyric to unabashed journalism, somewhat naive at the end, but highly entertaining. All propaganda is Gen-X lefty tier, as Silverfish had already said. Warren Ellis, the author, was also #metoo'ed recently, so he must be doing something right. :dance:
I quite like FreakAngels

Harthwain

Magister

"It's not a political statement, it's a political thesis" is spoken with the same breath as "As as studio we [...] have different people who have different approaches to political, religious, spiritual and internal life, also when it comes to sexual orientations or political sympathies. As a studio we always try to cultivate openess and approach it in such a way that everyone can have a say and that each of these shades can be represented".

I am not seeing any "REFUSAL to bend the knee and make political statement" here. It's just some PR piece put forward by CDPR to explain away why they can't be bothered with messing more with the game at this point, but I guess for some that counts as a win and a sign of CDPR being strong?

Because I completely fail to feel the supposed "KING IN THE NORTH!" vibes. It's closer to "we aren't adding anything about BLM, but look at how at how super inclusive our studio is! *wink* *wink* *rainbow in the background of our Twerper account* *wink*". It's the classic case of trying to eat the cookie and have the cookie. Also, they say they aren't removing anything, but we've learned only fairly recently that some stuff won't be in the game after all? So either they lie (and a bunch of stuff was removed recently) or they really took their time to inform the public about the features that won't make it into the game, which doesn't exactly instill confidence.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Wait until he discovers that the Cyberpunk RPG was made by a black guy
Every single euroleftard who founds this inconvenient fact out, starts seething and discharging Mike from negroids and call him Uncle Tom. (leftards, are you KKK now?) Check out Retardera if you don't believe me.

Terenty

Liturgist
Modern devs tremble at above statement

It's like arguing inside your head
btw. its Ratchet & Clank developer, and since Sony draw more crap like this - it's getting better, in wrong way
Mark my words the time will come when these braindead zombies will be shitting on classics like Deus Ex because the game didn't have one fucked in the head tranny in its fiction

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom