Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Ivan

Arcane
200.webp

Ivan

Arcane
16 hours in, Kiwami 2 is everything I was hoping Kiwami 1 would be. The first thing you'll notice is the updated Dragon Engine. It looks spectacular, more often during regular gameplay and not during the showy cutscenes. Animations still seem to be getting the short end of the budgetign stick, but they're as charming as always. My only gripe with the updated engine is that they added that heavy sense of momentum/locomotion to Kyriu, which makes maneuvering him in corridors or other tight spaces tedious because he reacts to geometry and breaks his speed.

That said, I'm having an absolute blast. I've finished all of the Cabaret content that I could and I was surprised by how much depth and characterization the different hostesses were given. A lot of love and care went into creating them.

Just landed back in Kamurocho after a short stint in Sotenbori. Can't wait to see what comes next. Looking forward to seeing how Kyriu's relationship unfolds with Daigo, Ryiu, and Kaoru.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Fun factoid: The cutscene animations in Kiwami 2 are by and large imported directly from Yakuza 2. Now that's budgeting (I actually really applaud the series for how well it manages to stretch its budgets with things like re-using animations and other assets when possible, it's one way in which they can punch massively above their budget and keep a tight focus on the efforts made each entry).

But yea, in terms of gameplay, Kiwami 2 and Judgment are my absolute favorites in the series (Judgment is overall probs my second favorite in the entire series, with Yakuza 6 only pulling ahead because of its more emotional story).

Vatnik Wumao
My only complaint in Kiwami 2 is that Kiryu feels clumsy in combat, especially early on in the game. He's neither as tanky or as quick as his younger self in Y0 and K1. Building levels and recovering the lost Komaki skills helps, but Kiryu rarely feels as outrageously powerful as before.

Misco Jones

Savant
Yakuza: Like a Dragon PC system requirements revealed (they're less demanding than Yakuza Kiwami 2 requirements):

• Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 | AMD FX-8350
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660, 2 GB | AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2 GB
    • Storage: 40 GB available space

• Recommended:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-6700 | AMD Ryzen 5 1400
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, 3 GB | AMD Radeon RX 580, 4 GB
    • Storage: 50 GB available space

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1235140/

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Wait a second. English dubs? What is this heresy?
They sound actually quite nice, I am impressed

"karaoke set"? Does this mean we'll have to pay 90 euros to be able to sing karaoke?

Steam store page says, that the DLC will add A LOT of older songs from the other Yakuza titles to this game.

Overall price for the whole package including the game is pretty steep though. But then again, the Yakuza series has never let me down. Can't wait for the release.

Häyhä

Arbiter
The English voice-over sounds really good, just like with Judgment, even though I will play this too in the original Japanese. Still, it's a nice addition and might make a few more English speakers interested in the series. Game itself looks dope, I love that they went all-out-bonkers with this one and the new pseudo-turn-based system looks like an interesting change of pace after mashing the square and triangle buttons for about a billion times in the previous games. Bring it on!

Ivan

Arcane
Does anyone know where to find the Substory themes that play in the Yakuza games? There are some new ones in Kiwami 2 that I can't find anywhere.

Readher

Savant
It's fun watching all the Snoyboys being mad at the fact that Y7 won't be on PS5 day one and immediately jumping to ridiculous conspiracy theories like MS paying for next-gen timed exclusivity. It's far more likely that their beloved PS5 and ultra-fast SSD is a pain to develop for and requires more work, while XSX is very similar to X1. It would make sense considering all X1 and BC titles will work on XSX day one (suggesting native support with no porting or compatibility patches required), unlike PS4 games on PS5.

There were also some rumors from insiders that RGG didn't have any plans for next-gen versions at the time, but MS sent some of their engineers to them to make the XSX version and secure Y7 as the console's launch title. With PS5 version, they have to do all the work themselves, hence the late release.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's fun watching all the Snoyboys being mad at the fact that Y7 won't be on PS5 day one and immediately jumping to ridiculous conspiracy theories like MS paying for next-gen timed exclusivity.

I mean let's be real, MS must be paying for next-gen exclusivity in some way or another. For a game series that's been a PS exclusive for years, to suddenly make a multi-platform launch on MS owned platform, including PC (which gaming is like 80 - 90% windows) it is very unlikely there is no deal at all.

On another news I just realized that Yakuza 7 pre-order on Steam is not available in my region. Fuck.

Readher

Savant
It's fun watching all the Snoyboys being mad at the fact that Y7 won't be on PS5 day one and immediately jumping to ridiculous conspiracy theories like MS paying for next-gen timed exclusivity.

I mean let's be real, MS must be paying for next-gen exclusivity in some way or another. For a game series that's been a PS exclusive for years, to suddenly make a multi-platform launch on MS owned platform, including PC (which gaming is like 80 - 90% windows) it is very unlikely there is no deal at all.

On another news I just realized that Yakuza 7 pre-order on Steam is not available in my region. Fuck.

The game has been already out in Japan for months and it only launched on PS4 there. What's clear to me is that RGG and Sega didn't have next-gen versions in mind at all, but MS came with an offer (either monetary or engineering or both) to help with XSX version. Sony didn't make such offer, so XSX version will launch faster than PS5 version since it had MS funding and/or engineering help, making earlier launch possible. This isn't equal to MS paying for timed exclusivity.

And yes, all of Asia is region locked.
https://steamdb.info/app/1235140/

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I know, I played it already. Talking about the pre-order for the PC version on Steam.

So, how is it compared to the other games? Does the turn based combat get tedious with all the random encounters in the city? Is it actually well implemented?

Also, seems like the game is way more light-hearted and humorous than the rest of the series. That's at least what I could interpret from the trailer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom