Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you guys have gamer dent?

Semiurge

Cipher
Competitive gaming is the main reason for headphones/sets anyway, you need the mic and the ability to position everyone in the map accurately since room acoustics won't affect the perceived sound directions. Privacy concerns also apply, but otherwise there's no reason not to use a dac and actives for all your needs.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
if you're not using something like these then you're just pretending, bruh

7ADD2D15-46AE-4D39-9A2F-D76A35446B14-5775-0000053D346EA9C5.jpeg.59e384a4ceba994f6c944b5c7d274cca.jpeg
That's a girlie bike.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Competitive gaming is the main reason for headphones/sets anyway, you need the mic and the ability to position everyone in the map accurately since room acoustics won't affect the perceived sound directions. Privacy concerns also apply, but otherwise there's no reason not to use a dac and actives for all your needs.

Cool story bro. You dont even hear very own gunshots outside and competetive pc gamer audio is just the same as their "macro" stuff.
You train your brain instead of m+kb and use radar overlays on screen (yeah thats a thing).

Semiurge

Cipher

Cool story bro. You dont even hear very own gunshots outside and competetive pc gamer audio is just the same as their "macro" stuff.
You train your brain instead of m+kb and use radar overlays on screen (yeah thats a thing).

"macro" stuff?

Oracsbox

I was initially confused by this thread as I completely misread the title ...
I thought it was "do you guys guitar djent" and all I saw was some baldy fucker with a strange head.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
something else that players do is they will use a program like joy2key or whatever to make the game think their mouse is a gamepad controller and then game will assign automatic aim-assist to them. this is pretty rampant in Halo MCC and in Apex Legends because there is no way to filter between input devices (and even if there was it wouldn't be able to stop this practice anyway, beyond them specifically blacklisting remapping programs).

urmom

Learned
Maybe they should require all players to have identical hardware, such as an Xbox.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
if you're not using something like these then you're just pretending, bruh
klipschspeakers.jpg.2dff2edd77512497ca6e2c0ec06a89c8.jpg

7ADD2D15-46AE-4D39-9A2F-D76A35446B14-5775-0000053D346EA9C5.jpeg.59e384a4ceba994f6c944b5c7d274cca.jpeg
What model are they ? I never saw them. Seems to be some abandoned floorspeakers like the synergie sf2 I own. Would love to listen to them

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
How about book review of:
My life, my story, my oppression as a gamer, my gamer dent: the statement.

A moving novel touching the most important and yet most ignored part of modern society - the fact that it's built on the oppression of gamers. The main character encounters aggression, microaggressions, discrimination and others on every steps. Whether banned for saying nigger in chat or rejected by Veronica, gamer lives in a society. His physical condition worsened by the progressing gamer dent, the character serves as a great vehicle to portray the struggle, suffering and heroism of gamers.

5/5 would recommend.

No because I want decent sound so play through my hifi, not some dogshit headphones. The same fucktards that buy "gamer chairs".

What the fuck are you smoking, almost all extreme high-end sound configurations involve headphones. Audiophiles frequently consider a good set of headphones vastly superior to a good set of speakers.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
No because I want decent sound so play through my hifi, not some dogshit headphones. The same fucktards that buy "gamer chairs".

What the fuck are you smoking, almost all extreme high-end sound configurations involve headphones. Audiophiles frequently consider a good set of headphones vastly superior to a good set of speakers.

Audiophiles are just mentally ill people like trannies and schizos.

V17

Educated

No they don't, either you completely made this shit up or you live among poor or dumb audiophiles who can't afford to create a good speaker system.

Headphones have their uses (I'm using a pair right now) and it's true you'll get better and more detailed sound for cheaper, plus you don't need to know anything about room acoustics, but they're always a compromise.

- In the bass region you don't just hear with your ears but with your whole body (your skull but also your long bones act as a conductor). This is very apparent during loud concerts, but it happens on normal volumes as well. That's why some people prefer a lot of added bass in headphones to compensate, but that muddies the sound.
- Due to various consequences of the headphone being too close to the ear (like the wavefront having a completely different shape compared to a loudspeaker or real sound, often it also differs headphone to headphone) the transfer function of your ear is different than when using loudspeakers. This means that headphones which sound neutral and realistic will not have a flat frequency response, the response will look all fucked up, in contrast to loudspeakers. The issue is that this desired frequency response is different for each person and slightly less also for each headphone. This means that truly precise headphones with perfect frequency response do not exist and you may only get close by chance. Unless you have your ear's transfer function measured and EQ your headphones based on that.
- For similar reasons the auditory illusion of the musicians standing in front of you can never be that great: the sound does not realistically interact with your room, the image moves with your head, the sound is not coming from the front but from the sides etc. The fact that 99.9% of music is mixed and mastered for loudspeakers does not help either. Binaural audio bypasses this, especially when using in-ear headphones. Except that the previous issue of each ear having different shape still exists and binaural recordings are made with an "average ear" model, so you'll get slightly fucked up spatial clues, slightly fucked up frequency response (this is more audible and more common) or both. Also you cannot transform existing recordings made for loudspeakers into a binaural version.

There are other issues, but these are the main ones. Some of them will get solved with more technology, possibly soon, but they're not solved now.

If you take loudspeakers with smooth frequency response and +-constant directivity and put them in a room with some acoustic treatment (not even that much if they're not wide-directivity), you'll get actually impressive and realistic sound with none of those issues. The only exception being bass, for which the acoustic treatment is pretty expensive.

For the record I'm not an audiophile, I'm just a guy who's been building loudspeakers for years, on occasion commercially, so one of the main things I've been trying to learn over those years is to recognize stupid nonsense and find the things that actually make a difference in sound.

Zlaja

Arcane
Man, reading the post above was exhausting. Also, I only understood like 20% of it.

holy shit, zoomers have all sorts of bizarre indentations across their bodies from technology they are addicted too... their heads from earphones, on their hands from their cellphones, on their dicks from their electronic vaginas, in their ass from their electric buttplugs so they can be stimulated by the zuck in meta...what other weird ass permanent physical deformities will their tech obsession cause?

tritosine2k

Erudite
Unless you have your ear's transfer function measured and EQ your headphones based on that.

yeah this is well kept ugly secret, >6-9 dB diff per person for headphones, so IEM /earphones almost always better for binaural because no outer ear fingerprint. Griesinger has stuff about this ( 1980's Lexicon studio reverb fame -found on every hit song).

Semiurge

Cipher

No they don't, either you completely made this shit up or you live among poor or dumb audiophiles who can't afford to create a good speaker system.

Headphones have their uses (I'm using a pair right now) and it's true you'll get better and more detailed sound for cheaper, plus you don't need to know anything about room acoustics, but they're always a compromise.

- In the bass region you don't just hear with your ears but with your whole body (your skull but also your long bones act as a conductor). This is very apparent during loud concerts, but it happens on normal volumes as well. That's why some people prefer a lot of added bass in headphones to compensate, but that muddies the sound.
- Due to various consequences of the headphone being too close to the ear (like the wavefront having a completely different shape compared to a loudspeaker or real sound, often it also differs headphone to headphone) the transfer function of your ear is different than when using loudspeakers. This means that headphones which sound neutral and realistic will not have a flat frequency response, the response will look all fucked up, in contrast to loudspeakers. The issue is that this desired frequency response is different for each person and slightly less also for each headphone. This means that truly precise headphones with perfect frequency response do not exist and you may only get close by chance. Unless you have your ear's transfer function measured and EQ your headphones based on that.
- For similar reasons the auditory illusion of the musicians standing in front of you can never be that great: the sound does not realistically interact with your room, the image moves with your head, the sound is not coming from the front but from the sides etc. The fact that 99.9% of music is mixed and mastered for loudspeakers does not help either. Binaural audio bypasses this, especially when using in-ear headphones. Except that the previous issue of each ear having different shape still exists and binaural recordings are made with an "average ear" model, so you'll get slightly fucked up spatial clues, slightly fucked up frequency response (this is more audible and more common) or both. Also you cannot transform existing recordings made for loudspeakers into a binaural version.

There are other issues, but these are the main ones. Some of them will get solved with more technology, possibly soon, but they're not solved now.

If you take loudspeakers with smooth frequency response and +-constant directivity and put them in a room with some acoustic treatment (not even that much if they're not wide-directivity), you'll get actually impressive and realistic sound with none of those issues. The only exception being bass, for which the acoustic treatment is pretty expensive.

For the record I'm not an audiophile, I'm just a guy who's been building loudspeakers for years, on occasion commercially, so one of the main things I've been trying to learn over those years is to recognize stupid nonsense and find the things that actually make a difference in sound.

This poast.

Even the best headphones out there can't make music as enticing as the best speakers. I reckon even mediocre speakers are more entertaining, even when they don't reveal as much detail about the music as the phones. What makes this difference? Room response and low frequencies - the pitfalls of all headphones. Headphone listening never makes your feet tap quite like listening with speakers.

V17

Educated
Man, reading the post above was exhausting. Also, I only understood like 20% of it.
I can explain it to be more understandable if you want, but I'm 90% sure it would still be exhausting.

The most basic tl;dr:
Sounds that originate very close to your ear (single centimeters) are heard differently than sounds that originate further away form your ear, due to how sound propagates and how your hearing works. The sound that's very close will be "colored", it's a normal part of human hearing.
And this effect also differs between people. So if two healthy people hear a sound coming from a few meters away, they both hear it as approximately the same. But if those two same people hear a sound coming from 3 cm from their earhole, each of them will hear it differently, and sometimes those differences are significant.

Headphones have to fight against this, they produce sound that's very close to your ear while trying to create an illusion of (for example) a band playing a few meters in front of you. And in addition to that every person will hear the sound slightly differently colored from the same pair of headphones. So no one pair of headphones is perfectly accurate.

None of those things have technological solution (yet).

kangaxx

Arbiter

Depends entirely what you're doing. Mixing down music for example can't just be done on headphones. You need to use monitors and have an understanding of how your room works acoustically.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom